Restaurant Gaitan, Jerez de la Frontera

Gaitan, 3 956168021

Restaurant Gaitan, Jerez
    by alucas
  • lomi's Profile Photo

Gaitan: over rated over priced

by lomi Updated Sep 11, 2009

On the recommendation of other VT members and our receptionist at our hotel we headed for Gaitan. It is handily located near the Tryp, however the long street is very narrow and fast traffic makes even the short walk nerve racking.

The restaurant only had another table taken when we arrived without a booking. So we got a table immediately.

It is attractively arranged on two levels. Lots of celebrity's have had their photos taken with owners and the staff and the pictures are displayed on the walls. My mouth watered reading the menu of lots of local Andalucian dishes. I live in Spain, so love trying the local dishes wherever I go.

We both ordered the house salad, which was an indifferent piece of cos lettuce overlaid with a tiny piece of smoked salmon and a couple of cherry tomatoes...not very exciting when we had spent a hour in the market earlier admiring the mountain of salad vegetables available. It didnt even have a dressing. Overpriced at 9 euros.

My main course of lambshanks were tough and served with some insipid sliced potatoes. Yuk. My husband ordered a local speciality of saltcod, which he found tasteless, and wasn't accompanied with any vegetable at all.

However the local wine was excellent from a great wine list.

Our total bill was nearly 60 euros. A waste of money we thought. We had eaten a lovely fresh tapas on the main street at lunch time earlier that day and spent only 8 euros for two...

Favorite Dish: Are they making their living from their earlier reputation I wonder?

• Wine Tasting

• noirroi's Profile Photo

Gaitan: Nice and hidden

by noirroi Written Aug 26, 2007

We came to Gaitan by reccomendation of "alucas" and didn't regret. Although the stuff do not speak english, they do understand it. The kitchen is very delicious - from starters to desserts. The wine was also fine. It was Friday and although we came at about 21-30 only 1 table was busy. At about 22-30 the restaurant was full. Most visitors are spanish, possibly living in Jerez. Highly reccomend this restaurant!

Favorite Dish: lamb's leg - very tender

• alucas's Profile Photo

Restaurant Gaitan: Give the chef a medal !

by alucas Written Jun 11, 2006

Restaurant Gaitan, Jerez

This restaurant is tucked away down a small street off Porvera, and you really need to look at a map before trying to find it. It is well-known and prestiguous, and the owner has won numerous awards, both nationally and internationally. The walls have numerous photos of the owner with (presumably) famous Spanish celebrities, and of him receiving awards.

The tourist menu is quite reasonably priced at 16 euros (drinks extra), but doesn't do justice to the restaurants reputation - so be prepared to pay more (we will next time !) and sample some of the specialities from Jerez and Andalucia.

• marktynernyc's Profile Photo

El Gaitan: traditonal food...

by marktynernyc Written Apr 11, 2005

My hotel recommended Gaitan: "...nice restaurant with good traditional food.  Specialities:  oxtail, cod in garllic, king prawns, stuffed partridge. Popular with the locals...."  The meal was average -  boquerones stuffed with ham and spinach (9.00E) were unfortunately lightly breaded and fried which muddled the flavors.   The artichoke cream soup (6.00E) was good but I had to remind them about the cabrales sauce that accompanied the veal (15.98E), which was a pleasent combination. I skipped dessert.

Instant Answers: Jerez de la Frontera

Comments

Hotels Near Restaurant Gaitan
4.0 out of 5 stars