Jerez de la Frontera Warnings and Dangers

After a sherry attack
    by lomi
    Art in the Anduluz
    by lomi
    Calle Larga - almost deserted !
    by elucas

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Jerez de la Frontera

• alucas's Profile Photo

Hotel Prices during the Feria

by alucas Written May 28, 2006

If you wish to visit the Feria del Caballo in May, or one of the other main events in Jerez, plan your trip early. Hotel prices are inflated at these times, and despite this, many hotels are fully booked. For example, the week before the Feria, we stayed at the Tryp Jerez and the cost was 60 euros per night for a double room (room only). During the Feria, the price rose to 220 euros for the same room - and it was the same story at the other major hotels. We booked in early February, and ended up in a small 2* hotel at 90 euros per night. It was OK, but I would have much preferred a better hotel !

Double room at the Tryp Jerez

• alucas's Profile Photo

This town closes for the Feria !

by alucas Written May 28, 2006

During the Feria del Caballo the town closes down in the afternoons. I fancied a beer in the early evening on the last Friday. Could I find a bar open ? No chance - even the bar we went to the night before was closed. And why should they stay open - everyone's gone to the Feria - where there are 250 bars !

Calle Larga - deserted for once !

• elucas's Profile Photo

Jerez town at Feria time

by elucas Updated Mar 12, 2007

Jerez does practically close in the evenings during the week of the Feria del Caballo, especially towards the end of the week. We found it difficult to find a bar or a shop open in the evening in what is usually a lively town. They are all at the Feria !

It would be very difficult - if not impossible - to get a room in the town without booking well in advance. We saw people turned away at our hotel and later the staff put a sign on the door saying that they were full.

The Feria this year is from 6-13th May 2007.

The picture shows the main shopping street - Calle Larga - which is normally "buzzing" with activity in the evenings like any Spanish town, almost deserted.

Calle Larga - almost deserted !

• Jerez Zoo

by blint Written Apr 13, 2008

If you visit Jerez, whatever you do DON'T go to the zoo. The conditions for the animals are appalling and many show signs of mental problems and depression such as pacing their small cages continuously or the Apes go mad and have even cracked the glass while stupid kids goad them on.

My heart nearly broke when I saw some little monkeys down a well and one of them held up a small branch to me; like he was saying 'help me help me, pull me out'. But alas the branch didn't reach and I couldn't pull him out. The memory still haunts me today (no t joking, especially when my student told me they are still down there).

Jerez zoo is however famous for having a white tiger which is an endangered species. It could be viewed as they are helping the breed to survive, well anyway, even if it is like that, one positive thing doesn't make up for 100 bad ones.

PLEASE PLEASE DON'T SUPPORT THIS HORRIFIC PLACE! Thank you. I am not against all zoos, but small badly run ones like Jerez I think are cruel and should be shut down or improved.

It costs 9 euros for adults and 6 for children.

We want bigger cages!
    • Travel with Pets

Begging nuisance

by lomi Updated Sep 30, 2009

On our first day in Jerez we sat in a tapas bar eating lunch and were approached by an Italian man with an accordion. He sang us a very poor song, but we tipped him some euros and had a short friendly chat and said goodbye.

He seemed to find out where we were sitting for lunch every day after that, and banged away on his accordion, until he became a nuisance and we refused to keep tipping him. The locals all ignored him.

Despite the real poverty and unemployment in Andulcia generally, there was no evidence of real poverty in the area and we only saw one or two beggars sitting around with their hands out asking for money, one of which, unusually, was an old Spanish woman, who we took pity on.

• lomi's Profile Photo

Drinking Too Much Sherry!

by lomi Updated Feb 28, 2013

In Jerez there is a danger of sherry overdose!

Every bodega wants to offer you several glasses of different varieties, its hard to say 'no'. Then when you go to visit the lovely sites you start taking crazy pictures of each other.

This extract below is from the Sun Newspaper of Feb 2010

Tourism chief Juan Manuel Garcia Bermudez said: "We don't want the English who come over on cheap flights and do nothing apart from drink all day long.

"We only want tourism that will enrich the area."

A British Consulate source in Jerez said there had been a few problems with drunken Brits.

But he added: "It is a nice, quiet town and tends to be visited by over-50s who like sitting in bars and enjoying a beer or a sherry. It's certainly no worse than anywhere else." Joe Francis, who runs a hotel in the town, said: "Mr Bermudez seems to have put his foot in it. He's a new guy and this is quite absurd."

Oh dear!

After a sherry attack
    • Seniors

Tasteless Sherry Joke

by lomi Updated May 13, 2010

A handsome playboy, out for pleasure in Jerez one evening, picked-up a well-dressed young lady at a bar and took her to his apartment. She appeared posh, chic, and intelligent.

Thinking to make an impression, Mr. handsome showed her some etchings, first editions, etc. He then offered her a drink asking whether she preferred sherry or port.

"Oh, sherry by all means!" she said. "Sherry is like the nectar of the gods. Just looking at it in this crystal-like decanter fills me with a heavenly thrill. When the stopper is removed and the beautiful liquid is poured into the glass and I inhale the delicious tangy aroma, I'm lifted on the wings of ecstasy. As I taste the magic potion, my whole being thrills and glows, it seems like a thousand violins throb in my ears, and I'm carried into another world."

"Port, on the other hand, makes me fart like a hog."

Art in the Anduluz

Language

by lomi Written Sep 13, 2009

Despite the general friendliness of the locals, be warned that English is not generally spoken apart from in the big hotels, so take a good phrasebook.

Although many menus are in English, some amusement can be had from the translations from Spanish. On the other hand we English can amuse the local with our terrible pronunciation.

• Terrible conditions at zoo

by santaclara3 Written Apr 7, 2010

We visited the zoo in Jerez also in 2007,and I totally agree with Blint,the conditions in this zoo are incredibly bad. The animals are just pitiful and in such poor condition,please do not visit this zoo or support it in any way, it should be closed down immediately.

• Zoo

Instant Answers: Jerez de la Frontera

Comments

Jerez de la Frontera Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Jerez de la Frontera warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Jerez de la Frontera sightseeing.

View all Jerez de la Frontera hotels