Places to eat in Málaga

Most Viewed Restaurants in Málaga

• MM212's Profile Photo

Lo Güeno: Traditional Spanish in the old city

by MM212 Updated Apr 17, 2015

Located in the heart of the old city, a short distance from the Cathedral, lo Güeno is a traditional Spanish restaurant that serves local cuisine. Although they call it tapas, the portions are larger than the typical tapas bar and is in fact a sit down restaurant. It was recommended by friends from Andalucía, and naturally they were right! We had a quick late lunch here after arrival in Málaga Easter week 2015, before continuing on by car to Córdoba.

Lo G��eno - Apr 2015 Lo G��eno - Apr 2015 Stuffed peppers and fried aubergines, Apr 2015 croquetas! Apr 2015

• kaloz's Profile Photo

Café con Libros: Sangria

by kaloz Written Feb 21, 2015

In case of separation it is good to have a plan. We knew that Gil might not last the walking tour, so we had prearranged a meeting place should the group become separated. We agreed to meet at the Plaza de la Merced. It is a rather large plaza with many places to sit, many cafés, and we did not consider this. When I lost the tour, I headed to the plaza with the hopes of finding Gil. Gil had his own ideas and had his own adventure (see warnings and dangers). I found a table overlooking the plaza at the Café con Libros, where I enjoyed the Sangria. Sangria is a typical beverage from Spain and Portugal. It normally consists of wine, chopped fruit, a sweetener, and a small amount of added brandy. All I know is that this was the best Sangria that I had on this trip.

Favorite Dish: I had the Sangria, which was the best I had on this trip. Celia, being 11, wanted a soft drink, so we ordered her a coke, which was served in a glass bottle. Celia pondered the coke and asked, "Is this an antique?" She had never seen a coke bottle as plastic is so prevalent in the US.

Red head Sangria Antiques?
    • Study Abroad
    • Cruise

• PrincessMonja's Profile Photo

El Tres Restaurante: For a special meal go here...

by PrincessMonja Written Feb 4, 2015

If you are in Málaga for a special occasion this is THE place to go. I LOVE it!
    I went there to celebrate my birthday last year and it was absolutely wonderful.

Two things really impressed me in particular:
    1. I had mentioned on their Facebook page that I was looking forward to celebrating my birthday meal at the restaurant, and when we arrived we were greeted with birthday congratulations and a glass of Cava.
    2. I have to have a gluten free diet and they were able to provide me not only with gluten free crackers as well as gluten free bread to accompany my gluten free meal (Beautifully prepared and creatively adapted for my needs and without loosing any of the style and flavour of the 'original' dishes).

Favorite Dish: We decided to have one of the tasting menus. It was fantastic. We started with a tiny glass of parsnip soup (Which was a really nice surprise as parsnips are not often seen in Málaga, in fact most people here have no idea what they are!)
    Then we had a terrine of Eel and pear, it was spectacular. Then to be honest I can't recall the exact order but we had:
    - Octopus and rabbit rice
    - A lovely fish course
    - A roast small pigeon
    And then I had a fabulous dessert of violet jelly with a yoghurt topping and caramelised nuts.

It was all beautifully served by attentive and friendly staff. I can't wait to go back again!

Delicious dessert The Eel and pear terrine Just yum really!!! The wonderful fish course Octopus and Rabbit rice, delicious!
    • Luxury Travel

Wendy Gamba: Prawn-tastic

by PrincessMonja Written Jan 13, 2015

Great little bar with great food, good drink and lovely staff.

Favorite Dish: They specialise in gambas (that's prawns!)Fantastic ensalidilla, vey good.
    Also the grilled large prawns are excellent and at 1,80€ each, well worth the price.

Here's Wendy Gamba! They serve prawns, of course!!! A little story about Wendy...

La Deriva: Restaurant in a beautiful building

by PrincessMonja Written Jan 13, 2015

Lovely restaurant in a beautiful building in the Soho area of the city. The interior design is really cool and there's a nice seating area outside.

Favorite Dish: The cod carpaccio is very good and the octopus is fab.

Wonderful old building The restaurant area Funky bathrooms Amazing ceiling The bar area

Chiringuito Caleta Playa: Chillout Chiringuito

by PrincessMonja Written Jan 6, 2015

A great little Chiringuito for a spot of lunch or for post lunch drinks on their comfy sofas, or rent a sunbed for the day. You can even have a relaxing massage here. Beach, drinks, relaxation what could be better!

Favorite Dish: The usual beach fare is available. (BBQ fish, squid, salads, fried fish, etc.) All very good.

Relax at the beach
    • Beaches

• PrincessMonja's Profile Photo

Bodeguita El Gallo: Tortilla-tastic!!

by PrincessMonja Written Jan 6, 2015

To be honest I avoided this place for years because I thought it was a real tourist trap (due to its location opposite the Picasso museum) I couldn't have been more wrong! It's fantastic and it is as popular with the Spanish as much, if not more, than with the tourists!
    Lovely staff, great atmosphere, definitely worth a visit.

Favorite Dish: We had a range of tapas, all were very good, but special mention should be made of the tortilla.. They do different types of tortilla, so far I've tried the chorizo and pepper, mushroom, and courgette tortillas each one was fantastic. I can't recommend them highly enough (and I'm not usually that fussed about tortilla!).

Great little bar. Very Spanish interior. Well thank you, nice end to the evening! Wine! ..lots of wine!!

• PrincessMonja's Profile Photo

Café de Estraperlo: Great cafe bar in my barrio!

by PrincessMonja Written Jan 6, 2015

This is a super little cafe, a great place to pop for a coffee and cake (yes I can eat cake there, they have gluten free cake!!!!) But it's also open in the evening for something a little stronger!

The guys who run this place are really lovely, really friendly and chatty and make any visit to the cafe a real pleasure. Go and visit them, you'll be glad you did!

Favorite Dish: Oh and the coffee here is really good!

Enjoy a coffee outside in the M��laga sun Really nice interior... ... and lovely little touches. Gluten free chocolate cake, YES gluten free!!!!! Lovely location next to the park

• PrincessMonja's Profile Photo

Citron: A coeliac heaven!!

by PrincessMonja Updated Sep 8, 2014

I love this place!
    1. They clearly indicate gluten free options on their menu.
    2. The staff are knowledgeable about all the menu, including the specials.
    3. The food is fresh and delicious.
    4. They provided me with gluten free bread (homemade I believe).
    5. They have gluten free beer.

Now I know I rattle on about the gluten free thing a lot, but it is for a good reason! To be able to eat fresh tasty and interesting food that is also gluten free and to do so in lovely surroundings is just brilliant. This place is definitely going on my 'regular' restaurant list!!

Favorite Dish: After we ordered our food we were given a little free 'amuse bouche' of, well it was like a really tasty coronation chicken, spicy and very good.

We then shared an enormous steak salad with chimichurri as a starter - yum!

Then I had a Thai chicken curry which, hold onto your hats... was actually a bit spicy! Fantastic! (I spend half my life in search of spicy food in Andalucia!!) My husband was also obviously after a bit of spice and had the Thai red curry pork special that was on, also very good.

I reallly, really wanted to have a gluten free chocolate brownie for dessert, but I was simply too full. Next time!!

Delicious Thai chicken curry One very big salad! Mmm Gluten free beer Inside Citron (there are also tables outside)

• PrincessMonja's Profile Photo

Small Cafe: My garden :-)

by PrincessMonja Updated Jun 20, 2014

Now I love my flat in Málaga, but unfortunately I have no outside space...luckily that's not really a problem for me as when I want to have a coffee outside, or read a book with a tinto de verano (con limon!) and enjoy the fresh air, or just escape the heat, I go to the Small Cafe, it's basically my garden!
    I love going there and visit at least once a week, often after lunch for a coffee, which is excellent, or maybe later for a tinto de verano or a Gin and Tonic. It's in a great location, you can watch the boats and people come and go and relax on their comfy chairs and sofas.
    The staff are fantastic, always quick, efficient and provide service with a smile. An excellent place to pass some time. They are also open very late in the summer, so it's a good location for a chilled out nightcap.

(I have to give them a special thank you for the time I spent studying for my Masters there, without the cool breeze and plentiful drinks, I don't think I would have passed!!)

Favorite Dish: O.k let's be honest I only drink coffee, tea, fizzy water and alcohol here (mostly alcohol...), but they're all very good!

....They do have snacks, ice cream, smoothies etc.

Sofas ready for relaxing on G & T (Martin Miller with Fever Tree) Watching the boats and people Tinto de Verano (con limon) try it, it's fabulous! Celebrating World Gin Day 14th June 2014
    • Sailing and Boating

Chiringuito Marina Playa: Our 'Eastern' Chiringuito

by PrincessMonja Updated May 19, 2014

When we cycle out of Málaga to the east we often visit this chiringuito on Playa de Torre de Benagalbón. In the summer we cycle out, lock up the bikes, rent a couple of sun beds and a sunshade and spend the day there enjoying a beach lunch too.

Favorite Dish: We usually eat almejas (clams) (but then we eat those almost everywhere we go!) The grilled prawns are very good and the fried fish looks good, but we don't have that as it's not gluten free unfortunately; everyone else seems to enjoy it though!

*** Update**** The Marina Playa has had a facelift and is looking very smart! (Even the toilets have been improved!)
    We ate gambas pil-pil FANTASTIC! Spicy and delicious! Espetos of sardines and more lovely almejas, all washed down with a nice white wine. This chiringuito is well worth a visit, lovely staff, great food and a fabulous setting ***

New interior, very smart! Enjoying Sunday lunch on the beach Chilling on the beach Espetos! Yum!!! Fish cooked on an open fire
    • Beaches

• PrincessMonja's Profile Photo

Mesón Los Robles de León: A taste of León...

by PrincessMonja Updated May 19, 2014

We decided to pop in here for a quick drink after the excitement of visiting the Rosaleda shopping centre (Decathlon and Carrefour!)

It was so nice I couldn't believe we'd found such an excellent place! There is a bar at the front where they serve tapas and raciones, but at the back there is a restaurant. It all looks lovely and was very clean with friendly staff.

Favorite Dish: We only tried some small dishes, but they were all very good. We ate the venison in oil, the morcilla (blood sausage) and some sautéed mushrooms; all were fantastic.

We will be back to eat in the main restaurant for sure!...

**Update** Well we went back and had a fantastic lunch, artichokes with ham, a great salad and one of the best paellas I have ever had! Delicious!

The bar area, for tapas Ensalada mixta (Mixed salad) Paella (very, very good!) Fantastic beer pump!! (and good range of gins!) The bar

• PrincessMonja's Profile Photo

Canela Fina: Marisquería - Yummy seafood!

by PrincessMonja Written Mar 23, 2014

Great bar, right opposite the Carmen Thyssen museum. Good surroundings, nice staff and great offers (bottle of white wine and a plate of prawns for €10!) And you get a little free 'tapita' when you your first drink.

Favorite Dish: Tasty tapas and great seafood. It's possible to order a half portion of clams or mussels etc. You can also get non fishy food (Chicken skewers, tortilla, roasted pepper salad...) Everything we had was fresh and very good.

Nice terrace area at Canela Fina Seafood!! M��laga salad SIde terrace Prawns!
    • Museum Visits

• lina112's Profile Photo

My sweet paradise cupcakes: A sweet place

by lina112 Updated Mar 6, 2014

A paradise for gourmands and for snacking. They have cupcakes, cakes, brownies, cookies, tea, coffee, milkshakes and smoothies. The decor is very nice and the staff very friendly. You can make orders for Cupcakes, Cakes, Cookies and Other Products.

Un paraiso para los golosos y para tomar una buena merienda. Tienen cupcakes, tartas, brownies, galletas, infusiones, cafes, batidos y smoothies. La decoración es muy bonita y el personal muy amable. Puedes hacer encargos de Cupcakes, Tartas, Galletas y Otros productos.

• Photography

• lina112's Profile Photo

Venta el Tunel: Best food ever

by lina112 Written Mar 6, 2014

If you visit pantano del Agujero and Jardin Botanico la Concepcion you must stop here for lunch. They offer the best homemade food. This place is famous for its Arroz Caldoso and migas. Migas only are available mondasy to fridays. If you go at weekend you have to book in adavance. The service is very good and staff very nice.

Sitio muy conocido en Málaga y famoso por su arroz caldoso y migas. Situado justo pasado el pantano del agujero y un pequeño tunel del cual viene su nombre. Si vas en fin de semana es recomendable hacer reserva por telf. Las migas solo la sirven de lunes a viernes.

The place Arroz caldoso Migas

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 4 Reviews
Hotel Picasso
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Málaga

Comments

Málaga Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Málaga locals.
Map of Málaga