Málaga Warnings and Dangers

• The path winds through the vegetation growth
    The path winds through the vegetation...
    by BruceDunning
    Path winds around the Alcazaba castle
    by BruceDunning
    Hidden path to the walls of Alcazaba

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Málaga

Be Aware Where YOu Walk after Dark

by BruceDunning Written Nov 30, 2011

Keep out of the Malaga park after hours when it is dark. There were remnants of homeless people sleeping in the and drug paraphernalia around if you look close, especially going up the path to Alcazaba castle.

Sleeping gear hidden near this statue Boulevard can be dark and risky in evening

Trash Along the path

by BruceDunning Written Nov 30, 2011

A great disappointment to me was the plethera of trash, bottles, and plastic bags along the path leading up to Alcazaba and Gibralfaro. It is a turn off to see such a site, when some city worker should be cleaning up the mess daily, of better yet find the violators. It looks like it may a a place for late night drinking either by youth, or homeless people; or both. A sad site to such a nice path of color and flowers along the way. Even the trash containers were overflowing

Trash and dogs wander around
    • Eco-Tourism

Trail is a Steep Hike

by BruceDunning Updated Nov 30, 2011

A long way up to the top, and only the persons in fairly good condition should try to climb the steep angle up 400 feet at 60 degrees. There are many switchbacks along the way, and it seems like it takes 1/2 day to get to the top and reach Gibralfaro Fortress. It does take about 1/2 to 3/4 hour in reality to go about 3/4 mile. I can imagine the difficulty in walking up on a hot summer day.
    The alternative to get to the top is take local bus 35, or the red guided tour bus; but heh-you miss al the adventure of making the climb and some spectacular views while climbing. Be aware that much of the path is made of slick granite, and no doubt during rainy times, it would get especially slippery, because it was even on the dry day we took the path.

The path winds through the vegetation growth Path winds around the Alcazaba castle Hidden path to the walls of Alcazaba
    • Mountain Climbing
    • Hiking and Walking

• Driving dangers at Malaga

by loheric Written Oct 30, 2011

i was near NH group of hotels at Pacifico... the name of the hotel ia Vincci.. it was just like under 1 km away when i got targeted and the lanes are dimly lit too.... beware!!!

the hotel was execellent big and spacious!!!

• Drving dangers in Spain , Malaga

by loheric Written Oct 30, 2011

i was with 2 other people in the hired car luckily near my hotel, someone came to my car and punctured my tire when i stopped twice at a quiet street (traffice light was red)...i didint know it ..professinally done ..only hear a light noise of sssssssssss....

i noticed the car behind me , the guy came out twice.... seems funny and he followed me for a distance.... i instinctly locked my car doors as i remember after reading from this virtual tourist about this kind of problems..

he tried to open my co driver's door, too bad for him n i didnt care as i reached my hotel and tire was just flat...the guy brought attention to us....
    thank god... his car and another accomplice car made another round to check on us..but i was at my hotel parked....i noticed they work in pairs( 2 cars pls note)

i went to the lobby n ask the counter staff and i asked them , do this kind of thing happen often and she said no and offer no help or reassurance..... i willl get the name of the hotel later and the lane is near where i was targeted.. This is to PAY it forward to tourists that put their warnings for others to read. I thank this website and all the contributors for these warnings .. this helped me alot!!! thanks guys!!!!

• Buenosamigos's Profile Photo

Flower Selling Thieves in Cathedral Gardens

by Buenosamigos Written Jul 13, 2008

Stay well clear of the "flower sellers" in the cathedral gardens. They will try to foist flowers in your hand then demand 5 cents and will only take that amount (no more or less). This is done to confuse you as they then move the flowers from one pocket to another. This happened to us and two hours later we discovered we had been robbed of 300 Euros. These people are highly professional thieves - very fast and highly skilled. Stay well away and be on your guard. Don't let it ruin the end of your trip.

• Lugagge thieves at Bus station

by allinone Written Mar 1, 2007

A few years ago I was at Malaga Estacion de Autobuses (Bus Station). We were trying to lock in our bags for the day in the coin lockers. As we were struggling with getting the coins and figuring out how to use the lockers, a man on a walking stick staggered by. He seemed to loose his balance and he dropped some coins and akwardly tried to pick them up, right next to where I was sitting on the floor watching (!) our bags. I had to move otherwise he migth have fallen on me. In the same moment someone very quickly grabbed one of the bags that was at my side or slightly behind me. These people work in groups, oh yes, I have heard about them millions of times but wouldnt have thought this happens to me and my friend. So if you see people behaving strangely in your inmediate surrounding watch your belongings, and don't get distracted by people however pitiable they may seem. The guy with the walking stick disappeared almost as quickly as the one who nicked our bag!!

• sophief's Profile Photo

English women have a bad reputation

by sophief Written Sep 8, 2006

English women have a reputation in Malaga for being sexually promiscuous and therefore English women tend to get a lot of attention from Spanish men. I only mention this because I think not being aware of this can lead to misunderstandings and misinterpretations of other people's behaviour - guys may presume that you'd be totally up for a no-strings-attached one night stand and if this isn't the case be careful.

• Women's Travel
    • Singles

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo

Hire cars

by Myfanwe Updated Jul 15, 2006

This has not happened to me personally but to people I know. Always be alert when driving a hire car from Malaga airport. Theives have been operating by identifying hire cars & slashing their tyres. When the driver pulls over - they will offer to change the tyre & when nobodys looking will make off with any luggage they can get their hands on. I have heard of other similar scams such as if you stop at a petrol station, they will put a newspaper under the windscreen wipers, they wait for you to get out of the car to remove it and then they take your posessions. The bottom line here is to be aware when driving hire cars & if you have to pull over try & do so in a populated area.

• Caitlinette's Profile Photo

Cathedral rosemary women

by Caitlinette Written Mar 30, 2006

At the entrance to the Malaga Cathedral, outside the gate, there are women who will smile and offer you a sprig of rosemary. They seem so sincere and sweet, but DON'T TAKE IT! They will grab your hand and won't let you go, and "read" your palm, and then absolutely demand money. It's very embarrassing and such a hassle.

• Senoritasmile's Profile Photo

Diversionary tactics by pickpockets

by Senoritasmile Written Mar 14, 2006

As in most european cities, you need to ensure that your valuables are kept safely in your grasp. More recently, I have heard of several unfortunate people who have been distracted by professional thieves and have lost their belongings.

I know this sounds awful but dont stop to help anyone unless you are 100% sure that they are genuinely in distress and there's nobody else around to 'take advantage' whilst you're paying attention to their play-acting' colleague.

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

Beware leather elephants and carved giraffes

by aaaarrgh Updated Dec 11, 2005

Malaga seemed to have far more street musicians and general street vendors than anywhere else I visited! Which is OK sometimes - there were some reasonavbe street accordionists, a haunting horn player and a top class violinist.

Maybe the 'problem' is that there are fewer tourist to go around in Malaga than other places. I had to push away a very persistent 'shoe-shine' guy while eating my breakfast!

But the most aggressive of them all were the West African ladies selling their wares in the bars and restaurants. I am not saying the goods were poor, far from it, but I don't think any traveller wants to carry around a Sengalese leather elephant, or prancing horse, for the duration of their holiday. The ladies simply walked into bars, plonked all their stuff on your table and started arguing prices.

Funnily though, they did not like to bargain, they were perfectly capable of that themselves!! Without me saying a thing, the price of the leather elephant dropped from 35 euros to 13 euros over a 10 minute period. No, I don't want a leather elephant, thankyou, go away!! Being West African they spoke excellent French and also good English, so "No Comprendo" doesn't work, I'm afraid.

The big no-no is to take a photo of this event. My travelling companion took a furtive photo of me being bargained at. At this point the lady got very angry, seizing our guide book. So we kidnapped the elephant!! After a long tense stand-off, the lady returned with the book and stormed off.

OK, it is not polite to photograph Muslim women, so my friend should have known better. But these women simply do not accept 'no' as an answer. Watch out!!

no quiero
    • Zoo
    • Photography

• Pauldelabar's Profile Photo

Take care in the sun !

by Pauldelabar Updated Nov 15, 2005

I know that one of the high priorities on many peoples minds is to get in the Sun as fast as they can and for as long as they can to get a tan to be proud of when they return home. But.........

BEWARE OF THE SUN !

If you are fair skinned or even if not, USE Sun protection cream or lotion BEFORE hitting the beach. Even if just walking around town you can suffer from the Suns effects.

Buy and wear a Hat or Cap to protect the top of your head.

DO NOT sunbathe on the first day for more than TEN MINUTES ! I know that does not seem a lot of time but to avoid looking like a lobster and feeling itchy and uncomfortable, ten minutes only is recommended. Then gradually lengthen the time each day.

Remember that when in the Sea or Pool, the water acts like a mirror and reflects extra Ultraviolet back at you.

Seawater having a high salt concentration, has the same effect as putting salt on Pork Crackling ! So shower off as soon as you come out of the sea or saltwater swimming pool. By the way, beware of the little showers on the beach. They are intended for removing sand and are SALT water; so a shower in your apartment / hotel is better unless you are CERTAIN that the water is not salty!

Sun protection products.
    • Beaches
    • School Holidays

• diageva's Profile Photo

Gipsy Women for read your hand at the center.

by diageva Written Mar 24, 2004

At the center of Malaga there are few gipsy women that will want to give you a leave of romero and tell you its free ... and tell you that they are going to read you hand ... DON'T PAY ANY ATENTION TO THEM ... TRY TO AVOID THEM ... they will ask you for money and can be rude ....

they go after tourist .. but also after locals ... just past by ... pay no atention...

• gabriellefox's Profile Photo

Car Break Ins

by gabriellefox Written Oct 29, 2002

Car Theft is very common in the Malaga province with Rental cars being a prime target. They do not usually take the cars which are mostly fitted with tracking devices but they will break in even if you have nothing of value on show.

Remove your back parcel shelf to show nothing is being carried. Thieves broke into my car when my laptop was in the boot, and it was left in a public place in the middleof the day!

Remove all Valuables from the Car

Instant Answers: Málaga

Comments

Málaga Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Málaga warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Málaga sightseeing.