Mijas Restaurants

inside view

Most Recent Restaurants in Mijas

• El Olivar, Mijas, Spain: Horrible Paella

by pettathomas Updated Apr 4, 2011

Surroundings were typical Spanish-quaint, colorful, comfortable. The server was stoic, not friendly, and seemed more annoyed that we came in when there was little business. He never asked how the food was and appeared pre-occupied with his loud friends.

Favorite Dish: The bread served was way over-priced and the paella valenciana was horrible. It tasted like Campbell's tomato soup was poured over the rice and there was virtually no seafood, plus the salt shaker must have been dumped into the dish. The meal was disappointing and not up to Spanish standards.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Cafeteria La vita e'bella: Lunch for the VTers

by toonsarah Updated Feb 8, 2011

Our group of eleven descended on this pretty cafe for lunch. There were a few tables outside, but it was a bit chilly that day (late Janary) so we decided to eat inside, where an open fire and warm ochre walls welcomed us. I was impressed at how quickly the staff pulled together some tables and seated all of us together – but it was very quiet at the time! Extensive menus were handed round, and we could also choose from the display of tapas at the counter. I was tempted by these but had already eaten several tapas selections by then and was in the mood for something else, so I turned to the menu, as did Chris.

Favorite Dish: I chose the “baby squid Malaga style” (i.e. fried) and some chips to accompany them, and Chris picked a spicy chorizo flamed in alcohol (see photo 3), also with chips. The latter was especially delicious, and very warming on this chilly day. With my small beer and two coffees we paid 25€, which I felt was good value for the size of the portions and quality of the food.

In the Cafeteria La vita e'bella In the Cafeteria La vita e'bella Chorizo flamed in alcohol

• yumyum's Profile Photo

Cafeteria La vita e'bella

by yumyum Updated Feb 6, 2011

A bunch of VTers invaded this caferteria on the last Sunday in January. The staff brought the drinks and food in order of ordering, so someone had to be the last. My drink never came and I had to ask twice more. Same with the food, after a very long wait I got my delicious toasted sandwich with serrano ham and manchego cheese (Euro 3.50) but they forgot my French fries (Euro 3.00). The kitchen staff then wanted to be quick but were too quick because the fries were underdone, so I found them pretty horrible. Looking at the plates of everyone else, the food was actually excellent! I would visit this café again but not in a big group.

We sat inside this friendly looking place as outside it was still a bit chilly and there were not enough free tables for all of us.

outside view yummy toasted sandwich inside view

Restaurants on Plaza de la Constitucion

by keeweechic Written Aug 12, 2009

There are several restaurants on Plaza de la Constitucion. El Castillo Restaurant and Pizzeria La Paereta are just two. Some of the local dishes to try are gazpachuelos, salmorejo, cachorrenas and maimones.

Cafe Mijas

by keeweechic Written Aug 12, 2009

The Café Mijas is open from Monday to Saturday. They serve anything from Lasagnes, chillis, salads and sandwiches to English breakfasts. They also have fresh baked bread along with cake and apple & rhubarb pies and scones with clotted cream.

Restaurant el Padrastro

by keeweechic Written Aug 12, 2009

Restaurant el Padrastro sits overlooking the centre of the town. It occupies the highest point of Mijas and is claimed to be one of the best restaurants on the Costa del Sol. Some of the menu choices included flambé fruit and duck magret which is smoked in tea. While you are taking in a lovely meal, you can also be taking in some great views. Stairs to the Restaurant El Padrastro. If you can’t take the stairs, there is a lift which will take you to the top.

Open from Sunday to Friday 12.30pm to 4.00pm for lunch and from 7.00pm to 11.30pm for dinner.

Restaurant El Mirlo Blanco

by keeweechic Written Aug 12, 2009

This restaurant is set in an old mansion. The restaurant is owned by the Auzmendi family who has run the restaurant for some 50 years and serves both Spanish and International cuisines. Their specialist dishes are Fish soup, Squid, Hake Basque and rich desserts. The name translates to White Mirlo and is found in the Plaza Constitucion. A lovely terraced area overlooks the Plaza where you can dine during the warmer months. The restaurant is open every day.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

CAFE' MIJAS: BREAKFAST FOR LUNCH

by LoriPori Written Feb 23, 2009

We were getting hungry, with all that walking. But, what were we hungry for??? Then we came across CAFE' MIJAS which was close to the main bus stop. They had lots of breakfast specials which you could have all day. The "2 Eggs - chips - Beans" for 3.95 Euros sounded good so that's what we had. It was run by a British couple. They just had a small kitchen, so offered easy dishes. But the coffee! the coffee was totally awesome as it was made in some fancy dancy machine. It was so strong, the stirrer stood straight up. It came in a small cup and cost 1.75 Euros.
    Fresh baked bread is used for their sandwiches and baguettes. Also available - Scones, Eccles cake, apple and rhubarb pie. English teas and camelo coffee.
    Open Monday to Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
    Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Cafe' Mijas

• Virgen de la Peña: Interesting Decoration

by blint Updated Mar 30, 2008

we spent ages wondering round trying to find a good place to have a coffee. Somewhere that wasn't a British pub nor packed with screaming kids.

finally we ended up in this place on Plaza Virgen de la Peña because of it's interesting decoration and the fact it looked cosy to hide from the rainy day.

You can come here just for a coffee like us or something to eat. We didn't eat here but the kitchen smelt wonderful and what the German family across from us had seemed good.

I took a sneak at the menu too and the prices seemed OK.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

CAFE' CARIBERNA: BREAKFAST FOR LUNCH

by LoriPori Written Feb 18, 2008

Thursday, January 31, 2008
    We were getting hungry, but I didn't really know what I was in the mood to have to eat. Then we passed by CAFE CARIBERNA and saw a lady with a huge breakfast plate and it looked soooo good, we both decided we would have breakfast for lunch. It consisted of two eggs, spanish sausage, peameal bacon, two pieces of toast with butter and jam. Coffee was extra. It was delicious. What a great idea!

Meson El Olivar: More regional cuisine

by karenincalifornia Updated Aug 6, 2007

We stopped here for lunch on the day we were just hanging around town and had a pleasant lunch out on the terrace. This restaurant specializes in local cuisine, like fish and pork chops.

Favorite Dish: I ordered an ensalata mixto which was just so-so. Frankly, the ensalata mixtos in Andalucia are not all that exciting and they come with tuna fish. Sometimes the tuna seems fresh enough, sometimes it clearly came from a can. I would scrape it off and eat everything else. I'd suggest avoiding the ensalada mixto at any restaurant. The only reason I ordered it in the first place was due to my desperation to find something that was remotely close to vegetarian in Spain.

The rest of my family enjoyed whatever it was that they ordered. The restaurant is good - just don't order the ensalada mixto.

My husband and I split a half litre of sangria, which was quite tasty. Someone on VT told me that only tourists drink sangria in Spain, so being tourists, we had to do the touristy thing. After downing the sangria, I was ready to go buy a Mijas key ring personalized with my name in Spanish.

Meson El Olivar, Mijas, Spain

El Mirlo Blanco: Basque Cooking in Andalucia

by karenincalifornia Updated Aug 6, 2007

El Mirlo Blanco is considered one of the better Mijas restaurants and its decor and location help contribute to its appeal. It overlooks the central plaza area and has an attractive outdoor patio for dining. It specializes in Basque cuisine, and it was here that I tried hake (merluza) for the first time on our trip.

This restaurant is definitely located in the hub of activity. We ate here on a Saturday evening, and while we were there, a bikers wedding left the church at the top of the hill. At least 50 motorcycles roared past us, as all the guests left. After that point, things quieted down greatly.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the hake Basque style. Personally, I did not think that hake Basque style was radically different from Andalusian hake or even Asturias hake. This hake dish I'm talking about is made up of a big chunk of hake, with claims and shrimp, in a light yellowish sauce of I don't know what. Maybe it's a wine butter sauce with pinch of saffron. In any event, the only thing that seemed to distinguish this Basque style hake was the hardboiled egg thrown into it.

El Mirlo Blanco, Mijas, Spain

Casa Navarra: Good Local Cuisine w/ Erractic Service

by karenincalifornia Updated Aug 6, 2007

Casa Navarra is an upscale restaurant serving Spanish dishes. It is pricey - and was probably the most expensive dinner we had in Mijas. You wouldn't know there is much to the restaurant from its exterior, but the interior is very pretty, with a fireplace, lots of wood, charming and authentic Andalusian decor and a lush garden terrace. The staff did not speak English and the menus were not in English. None of the other patrons spoke English. Mijas attracts a lot of British travelers, so the absence of English indicated that this restaurant is not high up on the tourist list.

The food, however, is pretty good. Dining is late here. We tried to get reservations at 8:00 pm. We were told we couldn't eat at that time. There was a bit of a miscommunication. We thought we got reservations at 8:30 pm, and we showed up then, but as it turned out, the restaurant is not even open for dinner until 9:00 pm.

The restaurant never filled up. Besides us, there were only two other tables. We had good service until the third table showed up. After that time, we were basically ignored. I can't even imagine how it would be to eat here if every table was filled. The food was quite good, but the service was marginal, and we were quite tired when we finally managed to leave the place.

Casa Navarra, Mijas, Spain

La Alcazaba: Amazing view

by karenincalifornia Updated Aug 6, 2007

For our first dinner in Mijas, we ate at La Alcazaba, a restaurant specializing in Andalucian cuisine with an extraordinary view of the coast. You absolutely need reservations here. We were lucky to get them, because an hour after we arrived, the restaurant was full.

A group of about six people who arrived just before us and demanded a table. They didn't have the foresight to make reservations, and were told there was nothing available. They then announced they were with a major film studio in California, and they should be seated. Although the maitre'd politely explained they had no tables available, this troop marched right past him and seated themselves at an empty table, saying "We are from such and such studios and we were told we HAVE to eat here." Anyone wonder if there is any validity to the moniker "ugly American"? Or more accurately, the "ugly Californian?" My kids saw all of this, and it was a good lesson. After the incident, I said, "That is how you DON'T want to act when you are traveling." Not that that behavior is any better accepted in the US.

Favorite Dish: My husband and I shared a very delicious seafood stew with sea bass. The food was all good, but it is a bit pricey. La Alcazaba a bit more formal that most Mijas restaurants, and attracts a lot of tourists (like most places in Mijas). The price reflects that.

I just read on the internet that Mariano Rajoy and his entourage came here a week ago. Not only does La Alcazaba attract tourists, it also attracts Spanish opposition leaders. Those opposition leaders must do pretty well for themselves.

La Alcazaba Restaurante

Restaurante El Puerto: Nondescript exterior - surprisingly good food

by karenincalifornia Written Aug 6, 2007

El Puerto is located in a nondescript part of town. It's part of a small row of restaurants on the road that goes into Mijas Pueblo. The tables are set up on the sidewalk, and if they fill up, they just start using the tables in the neighboring restaurant.

Favorite Dish: The food was surprisingly good. We had seafood and beef, all cooked Andalucian-style. Good restaurant, good service. Desserts were yummy, too.

Restaurante El Puerto, Mijas

Instant Answers: Mijas

Comments

Mijas Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Mijas restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mijas sightseeing.