Mijas Tourist Traps

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Donkey taxis

by toonsarah Written Feb 8, 2011

Donkey taxi, Mijas

I wasn’t sure whether to put this tip here or under “Tourist traps”, but as I didn’t use a donkey taxi or investigate them in detail it seems a bit harsh to condemn them as a trap, although I suspect that they might be just that. Certainly they are a well-known sight on the streets of Mijas and many people come here specifically to see them. They are undeniably colourful, lined up near the Shrine of the Virgin of the Rock. The sign said that a taxi ride costs 15€ but I don’t know how far that would take you – around some of the main streets of the town, no doubt. Personally I would rather just stroll around and let the donkeys have a rest, but I guess for someone unable to walk far or as an attraction for children, the donkeys may have some appeal.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

BURRO TAXI

by LoriPori Updated Feb 16, 2006

I am calling the BURRO TAXI a tourist trap, because of the amount of money they charge for such a little ride. I asked how much it was and was told 15 Euros for a 20 minute ride. I thought it was a little steep, especially when you are sitting on a very STINKY animal. The Burros didn't seen to mind, as that's what they do. And the people I saw, mostly children, didn't seem to be enjoying themselves that much. I think I would rather walk around the beautiful town of Mijas. . You see much more.

• iris2002's Profile Photo

Traps everywhere, big, small, medium size ...!!!

by iris2002 Written Mar 30, 2004

Class A pothole

How can one best discribe a POT-HOLE... hmmm, maybe our dear friend Mark (acemj) who is a real specialist on those things can help out.

In general they tend to be round and vary in depth.... anything from 1cm to wheel size.
    The sneaky thing is they creep up on you when you least expec it.

In the "Dr. Knoweverything" Survival Guide it says: "Keep your eyes on the road, do NOT speed when you see one and by any means do NOT change lanes to avoid one, but gracefully drive over them... make sure your GP checked your spine before you go into affected areas. :)

Unique Suggestions: ... bring a spare tire and a hunky mechanic ;)

Fun Alternatives: WALK
    FLY
    CYCLE
    bring a bucket with sand and fill them up ... :)

• Adventure Travel

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Tacky souvenir shops

by karenincalifornia Updated Aug 6, 2007

Shops on the main plaza, Mijas, Spain

We arrived on our first day in Mijas at 4:00 pm and just about everything is closed down until 8:00 pm. except for the cheap paella places and souvenir shops around the town center. That was our introduction to Mijas, and not a very good one.

Don't judge Mijas by its souvenir shops, cheap paella eateries and donkey stands or what it looks like in the afternoon. I made that mistake on the first day. However, once we were there and started exploring the town in the morning and evening, we discovered a very different Mijas. The Mijas we then got to know was a vibrant, beautiful white town with upscale shops (typically not open in the afternoon) and a wide variety of excellent restaurants and cafes. I learned not to judge a book by its cover.

Fun Alternatives: Bypass those souvenir shops and explore the shops off the main plaza in the morning.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Donkey rides

by karenincalifornia Updated Aug 7, 2007

Donkeys for hire in Mijas, Spain

I'm sure this tip in the Tourist Trap category will be controversial. Some people seem to enjoy the Mijas donkeys and think that is part of Mijas' charm. Mijas' charm would not be lost if they weren't there. For one thing, the donkeys are very smelly. They are parked next to the town center, so the stink from the donkeys wafts around the immediate area. Second, the donkey ride is kind of pointless because the donkeys don't go very far. I'm sure for what is an unreasonable sum of money, you are taken around a very small part of town, and not even the scenic part. I also didn't like seeing the donkeys forced to lead such a life of indentured servitude.

One afternoon when we were visiting the nearby Shrine of the Virgin de la Pena, one of the donkeys escaped. THAT was fun to see! (I was rooting for the donkey.)

Unique Suggestions: Don't.

Fun Alternatives: Walk. It won't kill you. Mijas is a great walking town.

• Horse Riding

• mijas peublo

by janie07 Written May 27, 2012

Hi......recently come back from Mijas peublo love it been many times my only regret is to see the DONKEYS...PITIFUL STANDING ALL DAY IN THE HEAT, being british i am raging that they need to be looked after properly ....every time i see them i kiss them and tell them i will try to help...there eyes are infected and i look close at there bodies i dont like what i see......last year i saw one of the spanish men who walk them kick a mule...i wish i could have kicked him the same way it would have give me so much satisfaction...they have no feelings for them....although this year i noticed they now have a small canopy over them but most of the canopy was blown away so leaving them exposed,how can i help them...tried the goverment cant get in touch rejects e mails.....and the town hall does not want to know in mijas....can any one out there help them or stand with me.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Donkey Taxis

by Jim_Eliason Written Jul 10, 2005

Donkey Taxis

Mijas main attraction are Donkey Taxis for a fee of 15 euros they will take you on a 15 minute ride around town. My advice skip the donkeys, Mijas is easily walkable.

Instant Answers: Mijas

Comments

Mijas Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Mijas tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mijas sightseeing.