Sierra de Montilla
The Montillan sierra is hilly and not high at all, but it holds a very different ecosystem up there.
Fresh creeks, flowers and some little wineries. Also a geological spot such as Piedra Luenga, a huge rock in the middle of the olive yards.
Casa del Arcipreste
This is the typical bourgeoise patio house from Andalusia.
Near the church of Santiago, this is still the residence of the archpriest or parish priest, after many centuries.
The well conserved carpentry work dates back to 17th century but the building might be much older.
The Aguilar Gate (old archway of Montilla)
The "Puerta de Aguilar" or "Arcos de Montilla" were built in 1890 in the entrance through the street with the same name, probably in the spot where an old gate standed in the wall, opening up to the road to the town of Aguilar de la Frontera to the southwest.
Their style ressembled the arches in the Mosque of Cordova.
They were knocked down in 1962 against the public opinion.
Colegio de la Asuncion
This college was built in the area where the older castle of the Marquis of Piego used to stand up before being destroyed by the Catholic Kings in 1508. Some remnants and foundations can still be seen.
The facade of the college is interesting and the patio is really beautiful.
Campiña de Montilla
The hilly fields of southern Córdoba are known as the "campiñas". Vines, wheat, sunflowers and more and more olive trees everyday under a sunny, boiling blue sky.
Beautiful "cortijos" or cottages and "lagares" or wineries can be found in the middle of large estates.
In these fields in the outskirts of old Roman town of Munda, Julius Caesar fought and won over Pompeius troops in a decisive barttle for the control of the Roman Empire.
Arco de Santa Clara
This arch joined the Palace of Medinaceli and the Convent of Santa Clara for the Marquis and Marquise to attend mass in their private chapel.
There are legends around this spot involving the Marquise, a ring and a poor man begging under the arch... Don't forget to ask someone to tell it to you!
Paseo de Cervantes
This park is commonly known as "Paseo de Abajo" and is next to the so-called "Llano de Palacio", the Palace Plain.
Fairs have been celebrated here for centuries until years ago. In Semana Santa, the images in procession bless the countryside and fields from here.
Recently refurbished, an impressive sculpture was created by Montillan sculptor Rafael Rodríguez Portero to celebrate Garcilaso de la Vega, the Inca.
Paseo de las Mercedes o de los Monos
This is the downtown park where families stroll around with their kids. A sculpture representing Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba, the Great Captain, by Ruiz Olmos.
It was also known as "Paseo de los Monos" because years ago there used to be two huge cages showing different birds and also monkeys.
Barrio de la Escuchuela
"Escuchuela" is an old word for "little school". This ancient quarter keeps old houses in a maze of Arab style narrow streets behind the Church of Santiago. Don't miss the balcony which opens up over the cilff, to the right of the castle, with a magnificent view of the "campiña", the fields of southern Cordoba.
Ermita del Santico
The little chapel of "El Santico" ("The Little Saint") was built in 1821 by an initiative of the shoemakers and tanners who were settled in this quarter. It is devoted to San Francisco Solano who, apostle of the Americas, who was born in Montilla and performed a miracle in the quarter, which became a theme for a famous painting by Garnelo.
The little chapel is built on an old praying spot where a San Francisco painting was shown. According to tradition, San Francisco used to rest here when he went down to the fields bring food to his father and always gave away some food to the poor.
Old San Lorenzo convent arch
After leaving the convent of Santa Clara, the Franciscans began the building of a new convent in the northeastern outskirts of town, on the road to Espejo.
This new convent came into point of collapse in the 18th century being the only remnant nowadays this beautiful Plateresque arch in the middle of the countryside.
Casa de las Aguas (Museo Garnelo)
Three-storey house built in the second half of 19th century as household for the Countess of Aguilar.
It has an elegant facade and a patio surronded by columns.
The first floor houses the Museo Garnelo, with 51 works of art from artist brothers José Garnelo (painter) and Manuel Garnelo (sculptor), including watercolours, oil paintings and sculptures.
The second floor houses the Ruiz Luque Library, possibly one of the richest in Andalusia. Manuscripts, booksand olden gravings are kept here.
Iglesia de San Luis
The chapel of San Luis and San Ildefonso was built by the Marquis of Priego close to their palace to celebrate the birth of their first male son in 1655.
Profusely decorated in stucco showing the founder's arms.
Very modified by the differente religious congregations who ran it.
It is nowadays in the building of San Luis school, in San Luis street.
Convento de Santa Ana
The convent was built in 1594 and the church was finished in 1640. Three naves with red Tuscany columns. The exterior is plain and simple with a beautiful tower in the style of Santa Clara.
Various images by Pedro Duque Cornejo and altar and paintings by Pedro Roldán.
This is the town theater, built in 1917 and recently refurbished, it´s the third building surrounding the Plaza de la Rosa.
It was named after brothers José, painter and Manuel Garnelo, sculptor, adopted Montillians.
Three movies are shown here weekly as well as theater and music from time to time.