Parroquia de Santiago
The main parish in Montilla. Its origins are in the old mosque, dedicated to Christian cult in 1240. The current church was built in the grounds of the castle with stone from the old castle in 1508. Destroyed by Lisbonne quake (1755) and rebuilt by Duque de Medina Sidonia. The only parish in town till 19th century. The style is Gothic and Mudejar. Its tower, built in 1779-89 and with 9 bells, is similar to other towers in the area, specially in Aguilar and Bujalance. In this time, neoclasic gates were added to the church. Inside the Christ of Zacatecas can be admired. The legend goes that it was brought from the Mexican city of Zacatecas in 1586. It was made with an Indian technique and materials: resins and seeds. It was hollow to transport gold and coins in the inside.
Castillo y alhorý de Montilla - Yacimiento ibero
The castle of Montilla used the be at its peak time, the biggest in Andalucía. It was destroyed by the Catholic Kings 1508 as retaliation against the Marquis of Priego, who wouldn't fully comply to them. This castle had up to 15 towers and could lodge up to 300 soldiers and 400 knights. Queen Juana forgave the Marquis in 1510 and a new castle was built. The building we can see today is the castle grain deposit (or "alhorí"), built in the castle area in 1722. It has 3 storeys with 5 naves in the first one and really resembles a big church. It was bought by the town council in 1999. The Museo del Vino (Museum of Wine) will soon be opened inside. In the castle area we can also see an older Iberian archeological site and a statue of Corazón de Jesús by local sculptor Manuel Garnelo, dating 1940.
Parroquia de San Francisco Solano
This church was built in 1681 in the place where the home of San Francisco Solano had been. Its style is early baroque, with a fancy tipology: the front entrance, designed as half a cloister or patio. The interior is austere with an image of San Francisco Solano brought from Granada in 1689. Beautiful tiled and roofed tower from 18th century.
Palacio de los Duques de Medinaceli
This palace was built by the Marquis of Priego, from the House of Aguilar, after his castle was destroyed in 1508. The palace was built through the 16th and 17th centruy and its style is therefore sligthly manierist. War was not a threat any longer so the building lost its defensive character. The Marquis chose this plain on the lower part of the Castle hill, a fresh place where still today many events take place.
Plaza de la Rosa
This is the main square in town, a lively place in the mornings and evenings surrounded by cafes, restaurants and historic buildings such as Garnelo Theatre, Church of La Rosa or the house of La Tercia (see tips).
The "Rose Sq" is also a neuralgic center in Semana Santa with the "Prendimiento" on Holy Thursday.
Museo Histórico Local
The local museum shows the first prehistorical whale found in Spain, Mystacoceti, family Balaenopteridae, species Balaenoptera rostratella.
Also interesting paleo and neolithical pieces, coins, swords, tiles and other objects from Roman times to 19th century,
- Museum Visits
Casa de las Camachas
This 16th century typical Andalusian patio house is close to the old "meson" where the witches of Montilla, "Las Camachas", used to live. Cervantes mentions them in "El coloquio de los perros" as the most skilled witches in Andalusia. The legend goes that don Alonso de Aguilar being in love with Mayor de Solier asked la Camacha, the eldest of three sisters, to make her fall in love with him. He possesed her and she gave birth to Pedro Ximénez after whom the famous grapes from Montilla were named. The Soliers blamed not don Alonso but the witches who were prosecuted by the Inquisition.
Iglesia y convento de San Agustín
Tha old church and monastery of San Agustin was founded by leonese knight Alonso Sanchez in 1520.
The outside is Neoclassic with only one nave in the building. The altar is Renaissance style and the dome is inspired by that of Cordoba Cathedral.
Several valuable images by Juan de Mesa, Cristóbal de Guadix and Montilla-born Garnelo brothers.
Iglesia de la Encarnación o de los Jesuitas
The old church was finished in 1558 by San Francisco de Borja who created a free school of Latin and grammar. The new church was begun in 1726, but remained unfinished after Carlos III expelled the Jesuits from Spain. The Franciscans moved in, since their monastery was in ruins.
Again in 1944 the Jesuits returned to their temple, and it´s popularly known as "the Jesuits".
In 1970 the older temple, of no artistic value, was demolished.
Iglesia de San Sebastían
The oldest temple in town, in early, austere gothic style.
Three naves that house an image of St. Sebastian, as well as images by Montillan sculptor sisters, las Cuetas, as well as an image of the Virgen de la Consolación said to have been found in a clay oven. It wears a cape donated by Queen Isabella of Castile in her visit to the town.
Convento de Santa Clara
Built by the first Marquis of Priego, Don Pedro in 1547 as a part f his palace, it become an independent feminine monastery, but it kept the communication with the palace through an arch. Its first style was gothic-mudejar.
Impressive choir and beautiful entrance in gothic (nearly portuguese "manuelin" style) and plateresco. It is the most important artistic resort in town.
Casa de San Juan de Ávila
San Juan de Avila is known as the 'Apostle of Andalusia'. He created learning centers for Humanities and Theology in the whole region and taught Saint Ignatius of Loyola, Santa Teresa de Jesús, and Fray Luis de Granada.
The house was built in 1567 and keeps a small museum and austere decoration from the time.
Casa del Inca Garcilaso de la Vega
El Inca Garcilaso de la Vega is the first American-born recognized author in the Spanish language. He was born in Lima, Peru, from Inca princess Chimpu Ocllo and the captain Garcilaso de la Vega. He moved to Spain to breed purasangre horses together with his uncle in Montilla, where he stayed for 30 years and wrote some of his most famous works: "La Florida" and "Comentarios Reales".
The house was built in the 17th century and offered by the Count of La Cortina to the town. It now houses the tourist office and a museum of precolumbine art.
Founded in 1729 by Francisco Alvear y Gómez de la Cortina, Count of La Cortina, it is the oldest and most pretigious winery in Córdoba. Don't miss this visit, they will explain you how the wine is brewed, you´ll feel the coolnes and aromas of the cellar and taste the magnificent wine.
Ayuntamiento e iglesia de S. Juan de Dios
Built in 1882 on the grounds of the older Hospital of San Juan, which is mentioned in Cervantes' "El coloquio de los perros" : "“Llegamos pues, por nuestras jornadas contadas a Montilla, villa del famoso y gran cristiano Marqués de Priego, señor de la casa de Aguilar y de Montilla. Alojaron a mi amo, porque él lo procuró en un hospital” . Neoclassic style of the Romantic period. It was used as headquarters of the Napoleonic troops and it kept being used as a hospital up to 1844. The only part of the old hospital remaining is the former chuirch, built in the beginnings of the 17th century and refurbished in 1765-1777. Nowadays it is used for cultural events.