Machismo, Sevilla

Know about this?

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

sleazy men

by fairy_dust Written Jul 10, 2007

I met a few men in Seville who seemed nice at first, but then I learned their intentions weren't so great. One of them was a guy I met at the feria de Abril. He and his friends took me around to different casetas, and when he asked for my phone number I gave it to him. A while later, he called to ask me out, and while we were talking about where to meet and all that, he asked me if I live alone. I said no, and he asked if the other person is often there. I said yes, so he said "then we'll meet in a hotel". I said "no, I'm not that type of person!", he said "but I like you..." and I said "we can go out, but I'm not spending the night!" Later in the conversation he said he'd call later that evening, but he never did. The jerk expected sex and didn't think I was worth a date since I refused to sleep with him.

My Australian friend also told me that she often gets hit on by married men in Seville, and her friend told me that a lot of married men have affairs. I once got hit on by a man I met and since he wasn't wearing a ring, I figured he was single. I turned him down because I wasn't interested, but I later found out from my friend that he's married and has children!

Also, be careful about taxi drivers. I once had a sleazy cab driver hit on me. I sat in the back of the cab but he said he didn't know where my street was so told me to sit in the front to guide him, then he started asking personal questions such as "do you like flirting with boys?" "do you have a boyfriend?" "do you want a boyfriend?" "do you want me to be your boyfriend?" Yuck.

• Women's Travel
    • Study Abroad

• rbarliant's Profile Photo

I was traveling alone, and...

by rbarliant Written Aug 24, 2002

I was traveling alone, and went walking in Parque De Maria Luisa. This is a stunning park, and definitely one to check out. However, when I was there, I was accosted by a couple of Spanish men, in their mid-twenties or so (about my age). They were trying to make conversation with me in a flirtatious way, and were pretty aggressive. They walked along with me, and as time went by, several of their friends joined us. At that point things got physically aggressive, with them grabbing me and so on. It was not a mugging, had it continued it would have been categorized as sexual assault. This was in the middle of broad daylight with other people around. Fortunately, there is a security kiosk in the park which I happened to know at the time. After fighting them off, I ran there, and the police were very helpful. They took my complaint seriously, looked for the guys, and walked me out of the park when they couldn't find them. I really can't say whether this kind of things happen frequently in that park, in Seville, or elsewhere in Spain, and in general I felt safe traveling alone. Fortunately, I wasn't hurt, but it made me think twice about
    traveling alone in the future. At the very least, women, be very careful around any guys that approach you out of the blue.

Instant Answers: Sevilla