Torremolinos Restaurants

RESTAURANTE DON CANAPE': TYPICAL SPANISH FARE

by LoriPori Updated Mar 4, 2011

Restaurant Don Canape'

Thursday February 24, 2011
    Hans and I were invited by Marian, one of our friends from Bajondillo, to join her, Fina and Gino for dinner at RESTAURANTE DON CANAPE', one of the "Grand Circle Tours" restaurants. The meal was 17 Euros complete and included:
    Platter of little Spanish appetizers ( Photo # 2)

Choice of Vegetable Soup, Mixed Salad and Shrimp cocktail. I chose the Mixed Salad (Photo #3) which was excellent. Hans chose the Shrimp Cocktail , with two jumbo shrimp and shrimp salad.

Entree's included Cordon Bleu, Fresh Grilled Salmon, Filet of Pork Loin au Sote', English Style Dover Sole - all served with fries and vegetables. I chose the Cordon Bleu, (Photo #4) which was just OK. It came with fries, carrots and cabbage. Hans had Filet of Pork Loin.

Dessert included Ice cream, Frozen Lemon Cake, Home made custard with caramel - Flan. I chose the Flan (Photo # 5) which was excellent.

Also included was two drinks - choice of wine, beer or water. I had a bottle of water and Sangria which he refilled and was delicious.

Lunch is served 1:00 p.m. until 3:30 p.m.
    Dinner is served 7:00 p.m. until 11:30 p.m
    Closed on Monday

Bar Andaluz: Mediocre tapas

by Gillybob Written Feb 27, 2011

Bar Andaluz

Our first night in Torremolinos and we weren't inclined to go too far from our accommodation at Bajondillo Apartments so we chose this Andalucian restaurant which could be seen from our balcony.

Three of us visited the restaurant, Sue and I had tapas whilst Sonja had grilled sea bass. Sue and I each chose two raciones (larger tapas portions) at 2.70€ each whilst Sonja's sea bass was 12.50€. Sue and I shared a jarra (jug) sangria at 12€ whilst Sonja had a soft drink (1.70€). Including the cubierto (cover - bread) our bill totalled a reasonable 40€ for the three of us.

Unfortunately, my Iberian sausage was disappointing but the sauteed pork was good. Sue enjoyed her tripe and pork meatballs in almond sauce.

Favorite Dish: The sauteed pork - but it was nothing exceptional.

• Beaches

Lepanto: Delicious cakes!

by Gillybob Updated Feb 27, 2011

Window selection

Lepanto is a chain of pasteleria (cake shops) which can be found throughout Spain.

We found ourselves stopping here twice during our weekend break - and had wonderful cakes on both occasions!

This shop also has a selection of ice creams and chocolates which fellow VTers tell me are great too!

Favorite Dish: The white chocolate cake - delicious!

• Beaches

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Los Pescadores: Great calamaritos!

by Gillybob Updated Feb 27, 2011

Los Pescadores

Found beachside in the La Carihuela area of Torremolinos, Los Pescadores was our first stop for food in Torremolinos after we had checked into our accommodation.

Los Pescadores can be found on the Paseo Maritimo in La Carihuela and benefits from the passing trade that this location offers.

I had the calamaritos and my friend had the calamares - these are both calamari dishes, just dependent on the size. We both enjoyed them and shared a mixed salad and a jug of sangria.

Favorite Dish: The calamaritos - bite-size calamari served simply - deep fried with a wedge of lemon!

Our dishes, salad, sangria and cubierto (cover - bread) gave us a bill of 33.15€.

Andaluz Bar Restaurante: Andalucian Cuisine

by suvanki Updated Feb 9, 2011

Andaluz Bar Restaurante

We chose this place for it's close proximity to our apartment for our first evening meal. Torremolinos caters for all tastes, with Chinese, Indian, Lebanese, Dutch, Scandinavian, British and American restaurants in evidence.
    We were hoping to try Andalucian food during our stay - tapas, fish, seafood and typical meat dishes were what we were looking for, and this place fitted the bill- it specialised in Pescaito Frito (Fried Fish) Carnes Parrilla (Grilled meat?) and Paella (the typical rice based dish)

Seating was available outside, but it was too cold that evening, so we were shown a table inside for the three of us.

It was quite a cosy bar/restaurant, with locals enjoying a quick drink at the bar. Service was friendly and efficient.

Gilly and I decided to continue our Sangria 'research' having enjoyed a jug of this local drink earlier.
    This came with orange, apple and pear chunks, plus a complimentary dish of green olives.

Sonja wasn't keen on tapas, and opted for grilled fish instead.
    Gilly and I perused the Tapas menu- racione sized dishes were mainly 2.70 Euros (Prawn dishes were 3 Euros) and selected 2 dishes each

I selected Pork meatballs in almond sauce and tripe (This is something that I haven't liked, when I've tried it at home, when it came in a white sauce with onions, but I wanted to try something different)

Gilly chose Iberian sausage and I think spicy pork meat.

I was very pleased with the tripe, which had a nice texture, and a smokey flavour, and came in a delicious tomato sauce, my meatballs were quite pleasant too, I was glad of the bread to mop up the juices!

We had intended to go to the bar nearby that advertised brandy and a biscuit for a night cap, but by the time we left it had closed, so we headed for the bar at our apartments instead, as it was quite cold to be walking about.

Favorite Dish: We enjoyed our meal, which included

1 jug of Sangria-12 Euros
    1 soft drink-1.70
    Grilled sea bass-12.50
    4x raciones- 2.70 each -slightly larger than a tapas portion- Gilly and I chose 2 dishes each
    Bread 1 euro x 3
    Total Bill for 3 persons 40 Euros

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Lepanto: Delicious cakes and ice cream

With Carmen & Stacey in Lepanto

We came to this excellent coffee shop twice – on Saturday afternoon for a bite to supplement our tapas lunch, and on Sunday morning for breakfast. On both occasions we were impressed by the quality of the goodies available and the reasonable prices.

Favorite Dish: On the first occasion we arrived with Stacy (beach dog)after our walk back to the centre, planning on having a coffee. But the ice creams on display near the door changed our minds for us, so it was ices all round. All were delicious, but the stand-out flavours were probably the dulce de leche and chocolate with rum. Our two-scoop bowls cost 4€ each. When the rest of our group arrived they opted for coffee and cakes, and the latter looked so good that we had to sample one too - a delicious chocolate mousse-like concoction! I’m not sure how much this lovely treat cost as Carmen (Carmela71) insisted on paying the bill for the whole group – thank you Carmen :-)

We returned the next morning for breakfast, and had a good croissant each, two cappuccinos and a glass of fresh orange juice for 11€. My only quibble would be that the coffees came with whipped cream on top - not really a cappuccino therefore, and not really to my taste. It was easily scooped off however, and the coffee beneath was good and strong.

Vinoteca Elephante: A great place for tapas and local colour

Tapas selection

Gillian (Gillybob) had tracked down this authentic tapas and wine bar and proposed it as a good place for our Saturday lunch after our walk along the Paseo Marítimo, which indeed it proved to be. Located a couple of blocks from the sea in a more residential part of the town, it had a genuine local feel and a good selection of tapas.

Favorite Dish: Our drinks (the house white wine for me, San Miguel for Chris) were accompanied by two little treats – a small bite of tortilla and a spoon of a delicious risotto-like rice dish. We supplemented these with a selection of four tapas chosen from the display at the counter, including another tasty tortilla with chunks of herby potato, a spatchcock quail, and a slice of typical Basque black pudding topped with a fried quails egg (the tapas here are apparently Basque style rather than the local Andalucian, although to my uninitiated taste-buds the difference was not obvious, and should therefore more properly be called pinxo). Although only a light meal it was enough for us, and we paid a very reasonable 11€ (with my generous glass of wine being just 2€) – very good value indeed. I wish now we had sampled more dishes – especially as it would turn out that we would have no dinner that evening, as we got swept up in the excitement of the Barney Awards ceremony!

Tiki: Something for everyone

Chris's

A receptionist at the Apartamentos Bajondillo recommended this restaurant, just a short stroll along the Paseo Mairitimo from the apartments, so our group of 15 headed there for dinner on Friday evening. We got a friendly welcome and tables were quickly rearranged to seat us together. The menu here is a mix of Spanish (tapas) and international, but the theme, slightly oddly, appears to be Polynesian or similar, with a colourful fish tank, shellfish murals and other tropical island motifs.

Favorite Dish: Chris and I had eaten a late lunch so wanted something reasonably light, which both our choices proved to be. Chris’s goats cheese ravioli was pronounced to be the prettiest dish of the evening, beautifully arranged on its slate platter. He found it tasty but would have been disappointed with the small size of the portion if he had been any hungrier. My salmon in a spinach sauce was colourful, and the fish was good, though I was disappointed not to be able to taste the promised ginger among all the other flavours. With the cover (olives and tortilla chips with a dip), a large draft beer for Chris and a bottle of San Miguel for me, we paid 40€ with service for our two meals – not cheap for the amount we ate but reasonable for the quality.

Other choices were pizzas (which looked excellent), burgers, salads, tuna, other pasta dishes, duck and more.

Restaurante La Paella: Lunch by the sea

by toonsarah Updated Feb 9, 2011

Restaurante La Paella

We had a late lunch here on our first afternoon in Torremolionos, choosing it mainly for its proximity to our apartments and to the sea, as we were enjoying our first views of blue water and blue sky for some time! We also liked the fact that locals appeared to be eating here. The restaurant is on the beach side of the road and large glass windows ensure lots of light as well as a view. Seating is on plastic chairs but tables are nicely laid and the atmosphere was friendly.

Favorite Dish: We chose a selection of three raciones (larger tapas plates) – fried calamari, chips and fried peppers. The first two were fine, and there was a generous supply of lemon to squeeze on the squid, but the peppers were a little oily and lacked much flavour. We had a bottle of San Miguel each, and with the cover (bread and olives) paid about 22€ without service.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Bajondillo Apartments: Afternoon tea, a night cap and drinks!

Thursday Night Irish Coffee Night-cap

The Bajondillo apartments were the place where most of the 'Winter Warmer' gang were staying, and a few times over the weekend we ate and drank here.

Thursday night, we (Gilly, Sonja and myself) ended up back at our apartment for a night cap-It was quite cold, so an Irish Coffee was in order. 6.10 Euros-But Blimey, it packed a punch!!! Hmmmm-the nights entertainment was in full throw in the cafeteria area - a chap murdering songs from the sixties and beyond (he seems to do OK though-He was at Rob and Margarets hotel the next night!)- the next act-A female Spanish singer/dancer was a bit easier on the ear, and seemed to get the crowd going more!

Friday afternoon, we needed something to tide us (The same trio as before!) over until our evening meal - the cafeteria had a selection of cakes and ice cream etc. I chose the apple cake and a coffee, They were very nice!

Saturday night, after the Barney Awards, we all (Most of the VTers left after the Barney Awards) headed to the bar! -Drinks all round! Mine was a rioja or 2!

Sunday afternoon, waiting for the shuttle bus to the airport (for me and Gilly), it was back to the bar/cafeteria - coffee for me! A Good turn out of other VTers to see us off/Make sure that we left!!!

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Tiki Restaurant: Contemporary Spanish cuisine!

Sea Bass, prawn rice and Baby eels

Someone (can't remember who) had spotted this place, which was near to the Bajondilla Apartments, and thought it might be a good place for us all to eat.

Well it was a Great choice!- I wasn't expecting the contemporary setting from the outside.

The menu had a choice of Fish, Meat and Pasta dishes.

I opted for the Sea Bass with prawn rice and baby eel for 19 Euros. When this arrived, it took me a few minutes to find the Baby eel - I was expecting a small grey tube, but then realised that the spaghetti like pieces were the baby eel!
    I washed this down with a large draught beer- Friday being 'Beer Research Day'!

Friendly Staff, a pleasant comfortable restaurant.

Smoking allowed in the covered area outside the restaurant building - a comfortable seating area - probably semi-legal!!

More photos of VTers enjoying this evening can be seen on my Torremolinos Travelogue - for 28-01-2011

Vinoteca El Elefante: Pintxos, an alternative Tapas

All in the name of research! Sonja and Gilly

Gillybob had chosen this place for our VT meet Saturday lunch, from a review, as it sounded like an authentic place to eat.
    Gilly, Sonja and myself went to find it on the Friday. It was a bit further than we'd expected, but once we found it, we all agreed it was worth the 40 minute or so walk - and the walk on Saturday would burn off calories, so guilt free eating!!.

As a Vinoteca, El Elefante has a vast wine cellar, but as Friday was 'Beer Research day' I ordered a small beer- Gilly and Sonja had soft drinks. These were served with a complimentary plate of pintxos, consisting of squares of bread, with a cube of tortilla held by a wooden cocktail stick, the drizzle of flavoured oil was delicious-I think I detected dill and wholegrain mustard.
    We had positioned ourselves next to the array of pintxos, and there were some quite unusual dishes-spatchcocked quail, quails eggs on 'black pudding', tortilla, 'russian salad' etc. These were all pierced with a coloured cocktail stick, which indicated the price - the idea being that you order your pintxos, then you present the cocktail sticks, so your bill can be sorted.

I remembered from my previous trip to Bilbao, that pintxos were the traditional small dishes accompanying drinks in the Basque region.

I asked the ?owner about this and she confirmed that these were Basque, and were 'better than tapas' as they were more elaborate dishes, whereas tapas were 'simple snacks'. Well I didn't feel qualified to comment, but was more than happy to do a comparison - all in the name of research of course!
    I did remember that the Basque region, particularly San Sebastian is noted for its Gourmet quality dining.

Yes, I was looking forward to Saturday lunch......

Well 22 of us found our way here- complimentary pintxos were placed on our tables- tortilla cubes on bread, meat on bread and paella spoons etc. However, there was some confusion-people were ordering pintxos, but the owner was keeping the cocktail sticks-I think she expected that we'd divide the bill at the end! This would have been confusing-luckily Carmen stepped in and sorted it out-We all paid for what we'd had, then paid each time we ordered.
    I ordered 2 rose wines, which didn't appear-I thought that I saw them go to another table, but just ordered again-I found out later that this was what had happened.
    There was a special offer of 6 pintxos (orange cocktail sticks) for 9 Euros- This sounded like a good option (pic 4)
    Despite the confusion, it all seemed to turn out Ok, and most of us who'd turned up enjoyed eating here - I'd certainly recommend it!

Open Tuesday- Sunday
    Visa and Mastercard accepted
    Pre-book or turn up
    Parties catered for
    Seating inside or out

On Facebook too!
    Can't find a web site-If anyone can, please let me know!

L Epanto Salon de te Pasteleria: Lovely place for Afternoon tea

by suvanki Updated Feb 4, 2011

We walked off some of our lunch calories, and ended up on Calle San Miguel, where we had the choice of 2 tearooms, Lepanta and a few doors away, Goyesca.
    We decided that we preferred the window display of Lepanta - So many pastries, chocolates and other delicacies that were calling to be tried!

Inside were further calorie laden delights-Ice cream, delicate fruit tartlets, gataux etc.

It was so difficult to choose just one pastry-I eventually settled for an almond pastry 'cone ' wrapped around a custard filling. Then the decision was which tea to choose-I much prefer drinking tea to coffee, and am waiting for the forecasted 'tea room revolution' to hit the UK. Lepanta does serve coffee, as well as a selection of cold drinks

I chose Earl Grey, which came as loose leaf tea (Not a tea bag-hoorah) in a pot, with a strainer.

There was an extensive menu of speciality teas.

Pleasantly decorated, with an eye catching feature chandelier.
    I can't find my receipt, but think it was less than 5 Euros for my pastry and drink.

We returned here again 2 days later, this time there were about 10 of us!

Again it was a difficult decision - I eventually selected a delectable chocolate mousse/truffle encased in dark chocolate - Bliss! my Earl Grey Luxus was presented in a tea bag this time, but made of silk! Yes, it felt quite decadent!

I enjoyed my tea room experience, and again something that I probably wouldn't have expected to find in Torremolinos. Apparently there is a branch in Marbella too.

Restaurante Bar Los Pescadores Playa: Fresh Fish and Seafood dishes

by suvanki Written Feb 4, 2011

Restaurante Bar Los Pescadores Playa

Walking along Paseo Maritimo, there were plenty of places to eat, however we hadn't seen anywhere that served typical Spanish/Andalucian cuisine - plenty of British, Dutch and Scandinavian establishments, which looked nice, but our quest was for something more authentic.
    The smell of food cooking and charcoal grills wafted into the air, and I was getting quite hungry. The menu board outside this restaurant looked interesting-in Spanish, and no photos of the food available-This looked like the place we were looking for.

First things first, a jug of Sangria, while we perused the menu - this came in a jug, with a wooden spoon, and was one of the nicest Sangrias that I'd tried.

There was a variety of fish and seafood to chose from, I was tempted to try something new, but instead fell back on my traditional 'first meal on holiday dish' of calamares- Gilly chose Calamaritos. We also ordered a mixed salad to share.

The restaurant wasn't full, but appeared that the diners were Spanish, and some appeared to be locals enjoying a leisurely lunch before returning to work.

There was a nice relaxing atmosphere- I love just chilling in a beach side restaurant, knowing that if I wasn't here, I'd be at work !! There was just the right amount of time to wait for our food-long enough to know that it's being freshly cooked, but not too long that you're over hungry.

Apparently, this family run restaurant has been established here, on Fishermans beach, for over 25 years.

Besides fish, there is a variety of salads, paellas, meat dishes, egg dishes and desserts.

Favorite Dish: The calamare (8.25 Euros)was fresh, hot and delicious- with a light batter that complimented the seafood, served simply with a wedge of lemon.

The mixed salad (4 Euros) was a pleasant surprise- lettuce leaves, beef tomatoes, sweet corn, onion plus green olives, julienne carrot and tuna!-

Gilly devoured her calamaritos (8.50 Euros), and was very pleased with her choice.

The Sangria (11 Euros) was very quaffable!!! with a pleasant after taste, which I couldn't identify.

Cubierto (bread and cutlery etc) -we were only charged for 1 person 1.40 Euros

Total Bill for 2 .....33.15 Euros

I'd certainly recommend this place

• Robins Next: Steak to die for

by nsutton Written May 18, 2010

The Robin's Nest is a family run steakhouse. The owners, originally from Manchester England, are very friendly.

I don't know what their secret is but I'm glad I found this place. I've not had a single meal that I've not been happy with. Their steaks are cooked to perfection and the baby back ribs are fantastic!

I couldn't recommend this place enough. Since finding it I've been back at least 10 times and I always take guests I have staying with me there.

Favorite Dish: Steak medium rare.

• Seniors

Instant Answers: Torremolinos

Comments

Torremolinos Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Torremolinos restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Torremolinos sightseeing.