Arriondas Travel Guide

More recent commemoration.
    by AsturArcadia
    Cannon used to start the 'Descenso'.
    Les Arriondes, station.

Arriondas Things to Do

Asturias mountains

by karenincalifornia Written Jul 26, 2007

Cangas aventura is your center in Arriondas for a variety of outdoor activities - the most popular ones being the canoe trip down the river, 4x4 tours, and horseback rides. We did the horseback ride, but the canoe trip looked like fun, too. You float down the tamest of rivers to the sea (no whitewater - this isn't even a class I. It's more like a Class minus V.) However, the scenery is beautiful. If we had more time, I would have tried that canoe trip, too.

• Adventure Travel
    • Horse Riding
    • Kayaking

Arriondas Hotels

Arriondas Restaurants

Arriondas, Asturias, Spain

by karenincalifornia Updated Jul 26, 2007

The front of El Corral del Indiano restaurant in Asturias is so completely nondescript, I didn't even notice it the first time I went into town. The second time I did, I saw the sign, but assumed it was a place where I might find a $2 plate of curry. As it turns out, this is probably the finest and most upscale restaurant in Arriondas and surrounding area. When I walked in the door, I was blown away. The decor is classy and fun. The food is outstanding and Chef José Antonio Campo Viejo is a genius. This little restaurant, in an unassuming Asturian town, tucked behind a nondescript storefront, with a name that made me think I would find naan and curry on a $2 lunch special, would rival the finest restaurants in San Francisco.

Favorite Dish: The cuisine is based on traditional Asturian dishes, but made with a very creative flair. We ordered squid, octopus, fabada, chicken, merluza, entrecotes of beef. By the way, when we got to Spain, we saw the term "entrecotes" everywhere on menus. That's not a common term in the US. At first, we weren't sure what it was and avoided it. We weren't sure if it meant brains or what. Finally, one of us took the plunge and ordered "entrecotes". It's nothing scary, if you are a meat eater. It's simply a cut of meat taken between the ribs. Think of a rib eye steak without the bone.

Arriondas Nightlife

Pouring sidra in Arriondas

by karenincalifornia Updated Jul 26, 2007

In order to get the right about of carbonation in the sidra, it must be poured by holding the bottle over ones head and hopefully getting the sidra in the glass. This is a skill and an art. Don't worry about trying to learn how to do it. The bartenders will do it for you. The more experienced ones will pour it without looking at either the bottle or the glass (although the first part of the stream does land on the floor).

Being novices, at first we did not know how to drink sidra. We thought it was sipped like wine. Drink it that way, and you might as well carry a blinking sign that says "I'm a tourist here in Asturias and I don't know diddysquat about this sidra stuff." After showing our complete inexperience, we received a lesson.

About one inch of sidra is poured into the glass. You slug down about 3/4 of it immediately so you get the fizz and toss the rest onto the floor. That explained why the floor was so wet around the bar. You end up drinking about half your bottle and the rest ends up on the floor, but not to worry - these bottles of sidra won't exactly break the bank.

Mirador, Arriondas, Spain

by karenincalifornia Written Jul 26, 2007

Sidra - a fermented cider (5% alcohol content) made from small sour apples grown in Asturias - is the national drink. Sidra is plentiful, and all Asturian towns will have a number of sidrerias (sidra bars). Arriondas had several, but the most active by far was Mirador. We stopped by the Mirador on our first night in Arriondas to partake of this national drink.

Mirador is set in the center of town, and has a large outdoor area, as well as an indoor bar. By early evening the place is packed. Sidra is being poured, guzzled, thrown out on the floor all over the place.

Dress Code: What dress code

• Arriondas Hotels

10 Hotels in Arriondas

Arriondas Local Customs

Sidra served at Mirador, Arriondas

by karenincalifornia Updated Jul 26, 2007

Thanks to VT, I knew before arriving at Asturias that sidra was the national drink and I absolutely had to try it. I must admit, I read so much about sidra that I honestly expected it to be the ONLY drink available in Asturias. Not so. Wine and beer are also plentiful. In fact, at dinner, no one seemed to drink sidra (they went with wine instead) and even in sidrerias, not everyone was drinking sidra.

Since we can get wine and beer anywhere, but we can't get sidra everywhere, you're darn tootin' right that we're going to go with the sidra in Asturias. At Mirador, the local hotspot, at first we ordered "tres copas de sidra." That is NOT how to order sidra. It comes by the botella. A very cheap botella. This one cost $2 Euros and you had to love the handwritten label - like it was made in someone's bathtub.

The taste of sidra was a complete surprise to me. I was expecting something like apple cider, but it tastes nothing like that. It's not sweet and it didn't taste like apples. I didn't think it was too bad - on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being a great bottle of wine, and 5 being one of those past their primetime wines brought to our July 4th BBQ by cousin Elwood, I would give sidra a 4. My husband and son thought that was too high and deserved a 1. (Ya think maybe they didn't like it??)

A couple of days later, we had sidra again on our horseback ride, and we thought it was better. I'm sure that was tourist grade stuff. The sidra at Mirador is the authentic, local rotgut. Not for the faint of heart.

Instant Answers: Arriondas

Comments

Arriondas Travel Guide
Map of Arriondas