Llanes Travel Guide

• Things to Do
  • Things to Do

Llanes Things to Do

• Llanes Town Wall

Part of the surviving town wall date from 1206. Today the population of the district is 13000 of which 4000 in town Llanes is a handy base for expeditions into the Picos de Europa mountains. Currency in Spain is the Euro..

• Basilica of San Maria

The Basilica is in Plaza De Cristo is built in Gothic style. Name Santa Maria del Concejo Llanes. Llanes is 106 km east of Oviedo.

• Tower Alfonso 1X

A 13th century round tower was originaly for town defence. Later it was used has a prison, then the tourist office. Declared national monument in 1876 - .Named after Alfonso King of Leon 1188 to 1230, he was born 1171 died 1230.

• Harbour

Charming harbour of Llanes stroll or sit and take in the views.Llanes a pleasure and fishing port. 65 sailors from Llanes sailed in three ships in the Spanish Armada in 1588

• San Pedro Walk

Take a nice stroll along the cliff top, after the climb up the steps [ easy ] at Sablon beach .. San Pedros walk is a wide grassy walkway over the cliffs.. Paseo de San Pedro [ the walkway of St Peter ] was opened in 1847.

• Pilgrims Way

San Vicente is on the route of the Pilgrims Way to Santiago de Compostela.. These markers are on the floor and walls along the way. The St James Way is a major Christian pilgrimage route from France to Spain.

• Trip to San Vicente De La Barquea

San Vicente De La Barquea is a lovely small river side town . Best visited by car or bus. A bus leaves Llanes bus station at 10-20 for half hour journey. Some return bus times are 13-30 and 16-35. The bus station in San Vicente is at the bridge. There is a café . There is a FEVE train from Llanes at 11-39 return 17-34.BUT BE WARNED THE SAN VICENTE...

• Cubes of Memory

The cubes of Memory were created by Augustin Ibarrola born 1930,said I created a new landscape in the port of Llanes. Now the art is faded and needs renovation.

• The surf!

Without a doubt the seaside at Llanes is unforgettable! It's beauty will move you and you'll find yourself taking many, many photos of it. We walked along the seawall and marvel led at its beauty. I tried but could not control the powerful envy of those whose homes line this amazing shore. You KNOW you want to see more photos of this amazing coast!...

• Basilica de Santa Maria y Plaza de...

On a very sweet plaza, de Christo Rey, is the basilica de Santa Maria. We walked by it as a group of seniors were exiting it. It's lovely spot to photograph the local architecture and take in the atmosphere.

• Around town

Spent the day just exploring the town centre on foot, just some photos..Visit the tourist office in the tower just off Alfonso IX

• Seaside

Must be a good place for a summer beach holiday, enjoyed a walk by the sea in November ourselves, some serious waves to avoid!

• Harbour

I never did decide how the lock guarding the entrance worked! An ejoyable hour os hoping a boat would arrive or depart, no luck!

• Dinner in the old town

We wandered over to the narrow cobbled streets of the old town in the evenings and had a good choice of bars for a pre-dinner drink plus plenty of restaurants offering very good value 'fixed price menus'. Restaurants here tended to get busy with diners after 9pm or later and for 9euros you got two courses, carafe of local wine, bread, and pudding....

• Neigh bours!

What an interesting range of neighbours you can find in Llanes! Traditional houses, modern flats, new complexes under construction, and right next door?

Llanes Hotels

• Hotel Don Paco

Stayed two nights, wish it had been longer. This hotel is very comfortable in historic setting.The...

• Hotel Cantabrico

We stayed here two nights and found it to be very comfortable, clean, nice central location to walk...

• Hotel Rural Cuartamenteru

Barrio Anteji S/N, Poo de Llanes, Llanes, Asturias, 33509, Spain

Satisfaction: Excellent

Good for: Families

Llanes Restaurants

• Lovely cup of tea.

The Bitacora is next to the river bridge, so I called in several time for a cup of tea, the two waiters always made me welcome. In the photo the red is the other side of the river.

• Locals bar

This is local bar with football on the television and sport pictures on the walls ,there is a small upstairs balcony and outside area tables. I asked for a sidera [ cider ] and it was poured from a bottle held high with glass down low. Sidera was 2 euro, same price for beer.

• Ladies Lunch in Llanes

We asked a shopkeeper for a restaurant recommendation and she sent us to El Campanu. Like we did in most restaurants, we asked for El Menu del Dia (the menu of the day). We always found those to be a good deal. We had some amazing chorizo en sidra (chorizo cooked in cider) as an appetizer and then we had paella, some of us had sardines and there...

Llanes Transportation

• Llanes FEVE

I travelled by RENFE train from Aviles to Oviedo,where I changed to the FEVE train . At Oviedo the FEVE ticket office is upstairs. Whole journey time was three and half hours. Leaving Llanes I used the FEVE to Santander, journey time two hours. FEVE time is 11-39. There is a bus to Santander at 10-20. from Llanes bus station. FEVE trains do not...

• To Llanes from the Cantabrian coast

The drive along the coast from Cantabria to Llanes provides many dramatic and breathtaking vistas of the coast and the mountains. This is a view from the town itself, showing the close proximity of the Picos.

• Llanes Hotels

49 Hotels in Llanes

Llanes Local Customs

• bonio's Profile Photo

by bonio Written Jan 2, 2009

Local favourite drink is a still, dry and strong (around 6%) cider. It's very tasty and easy to drink but be careful it creeps up on you!
    Here's Mrs Bonio enjoying herself.

Llanes Warnings and Dangers

• debtravers's Profile Photo

by debtravers Written Oct 4, 2006

hopefully so, because unlike in other parts of Spain, not everyone (or maybe not anyone?) speaks any/much english. So unless you like looking like a complete berk, learn the basics before you go! If you can order food and book a room and ask directions you should be ok!

Llanes Off The Beaten Path

• garridogal's Profile Photo

by garridogal Updated Feb 21, 2011

I love visiting supermarkets while traveling overseas. Since we were renting a house, we had plenty of excuses to visit them in Asturias.

Anyone who's visited Spain knows how much Spaniards love their jamon (ham). The potato chips, flavored with it, is a new addition since my last visit to this country in 1993.

And in case you're wondering, we did try them and they were good. I only tried one but I could imagine really getting into them while drinking beer. Oink.

Essence of ham.... mmmmm! The real thing baby! Paws for thought? Oh horrors! Well.... what can I say?

Llanes Favorites

• Route around Llanes

,The man at Hotel Don Paco suggested a walk route round Lllanes for me. After taking the route it then gave time to see the old town. Starting the black line at the hotel , round to San Pedro walk, Sablon beach, Cubes, Harbour, over bridge to San Anton walk to lighthouse and back to bridge for old town centre. On the map above the green area can be...

• Colorful Homes and beautiful plazas

All over Asturias homes are painted in beautiful and sometimes questionable colors. I think I loved all the colorful homes we saw, even the lime green ones. I mean... why not???I also loved all the plazas I saw. The colors and the arches.... all so lovely!

• Stroll the promenade

Take a walk on the promenade in Llanes, then have a nice lunch and do some shopping in town. It's just lovely place to relax and take in the ocean; the view is spectacular, even on a bad day. This is a good place for a romantic stroll.

Instant Answers: Llanes

Comments

Explore Deeper into Llanes
Snacking