Oviedo Off The Beaten Path

A girl can dream...
    Watch tower

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Oviedo

• garridogal's Profile Photo

But it's the ayuntamiento now...

by garridogal Updated Sep 19, 2011
    It is what it is

We visited Oviedo's ayuntamiento (city hall) because two of my friends were looking to find some information about the branch of their family from the region. The ayuntamiento just so happens to be in a former prison.

I respect Oviedo for not letting this beautiful structure go to waste and repurposing it. However, no matter which way you look at it or however pretty its yellow color is, it simply screams "jail!"

So now I can say that I've been in a Spanish prison. Grandma would've been so proud.

• Architecture

• asturnut's Profile Photo

Art Museum "CAMCO" in Oviedo

by asturnut Updated Feb 26, 2004

A display at the museum.

When I was in Oviedo I visited an exposition of the native born painter Vaquero at the CAMCO gallery. I was very impressed by what I saw. The acronym CAMCO stands for the CENTRO DE ARTE MODERNO CIUDAD DE OVIEDO. CAMCO is located on calle ALONSO QUINTANILLA in the lower floor of the "Teatro Campoamor" in Oviedo. Here you will find, amongst others, a significant and impressive collection of art from various Asturian artisits.

Admission is free, and they are open Monday thru Friday from 5pm 9pm; Saturdays from 11.30 to 2.30 and 5 to 9 and Sundays from 11.30 to 2.30.

• asturnut's Profile Photo

Parque San Francisco in Oviedo

by asturnut Updated Feb 26, 2004

Main walkway of Parque de San Francisco

El Campo de San Francisco- San Francisco Park in Oviedo is a very nice park to take a stroll or relax. It's perfectly safe during the day and well traveled. Check out this 360 degree view of the park in the link below. This was one of my favorite places to relax on a hot day in the summer after walking around for hours in the city. If I recall correctly this park got it's name because it's layout is a recreation of a park in Oviedo's sister-city San Francisco.

Photo: Copyright Angel Cabiedes of San Francisco Park.

• Tami_G's Profile Photo

Fly over Asturias on a light aircraft!

by Tami_G Updated Aug 5, 2003

Light aircraft

My friend Steph had a surpise for me when I went to Oviedo to visit her and it was a flight on a light aircraft. It was an amazing experience (thanks Steph!), lots of fun and Asturias looked beautiful from the sky.
    The price is €100 for an hour and 3 people can share the cost.
    You need to go to "La Morgal" which is 20 minutes drive away from downtown Oviedo.
    The pilot that took us is Javier Perez Lorente. He's very friendly and explained all the places we saw.

• Adventure Travel

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Got Chorizo?

by garridogal Updated Aug 8, 2011
    A girl can dream...

Are you like me? Have you ever wondered where you can get an endless supply of chorizo?

Well wonder no more; it's in Oviedo. Now you know where to go.

• Women's Travel

Instant Answers: Oviedo

Comments

Oviedo Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Oviedo off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oviedo sightseeing.