Fornells Travel Guide

Fornells Things to Do

A sturdy tower. 4 more images

by ranger49 Written Nov 8, 2011

This stoutly built defence tower was built between1801 and 1802 when the English ruled this part of Spain. It was designed to both prevent an enemy invasion by sea and as a defence against a land invasion.
    Defensive towers of a similar kind had been built all around the mediterranean for centuries during times when pirates roamed the seas and when quarrelling emperors, kings and queens sent their people to war. The tower at Fornells is the biggest on the island - large enough to house a small company of men so acting also as a garrison and fortress.

As you approach it uphill and come to the flat piece of land on which the tower stands you cannot fail to be impressed by its huge bulk which is in contrast to some of the detailed and delicate stone work in its walls..
    There are four levels inside -
    Entering the ground floor, where the ticket office is, stone steps lead down to a cellar where the water cistern was installed; back to the ground floor storage spaces for food and ammunition can be seen.
    Ascent to the first and top floor is by a circular, stone staircase. Great care should be taken by anyone with a mobility problems.
    The first floor was used as quarters for the troops with a separate room for the officer in charge.
    At the very top artillery platforms for the canons and there was also a furnace to make the canon balls red hot before firing.
    During the self guided tour the interior finish of the walls can be seen providing further evidence of the indestructability of the fortress.

It is worth spending some time outside the Tower to enjoy the spectacular views out to sea and across island.

We paid 1,45 Euros - the Senior Admission rate. I think the full rate was about 2,40Euros.
    We found that on the whole admission charges to all the places we visited were very reasonable or free.

• Museum Visits

The altar inside 3 more images

by ranger49 Written Nov 8, 2011

After leaving the harbour we walked towards the road that leads to the famous tower of Fornells.
    By this time it was very hot but we pressed on until we saw the Tower on top of the headland before us. It was a steep winding ascent and I was glad of the opportunity to pause when we came to a little shrine about half way up the path.
    It seemed to be part of a natural cave-like opening in the cliff but the tiny garden around it was well tended and ablaze with colour. In the opening there were people leaving flowers and lighting candles before kneeling at the little altar in prayer.
    I had the feeling that this holy place is much used by local people, and perhaps some visitors too.
    We waited on the hillside to take photographs;then went on up the hill to the tower. When we passed on the way down there were more people visiting the shrine.

• Fornells Hotels

5 Hotels in Fornells

91 Reviews and Opinions

Fornells Hotels

Fornells Restaurants

by ranger49 Written Nov 8, 2011

Furnells is noted for its seafood and has several recommended restaurants. We had decided upon one called, I think, "el pescadore" but it was packed by the time we came back after visiting the Tower. So we went to the next one on our list which was not too busy and had empty tables.
    Service was very laid back, a little off hand but nothing to upset us too much, though it is hard not to feel a bit annoyed when people who come in and are seated after you, have their orders taken and are served first.
    John enjoyed his Moules that were described as "natural" but I was tripped up by my unfamiliarity with local culinary terms and assumed " Mejillones Marinera de Maó" meant local mussels from Mahon cooked in the French style Mariniere. Far from it these are cooked in a wine and tomato sauce. I love mussels and tomatoes but thick tomato sauce is one of the few things I have no palate for at all.
    My own fault - never assume - always ask!
    In view of its generally good reviews I would give S'Ancora another try if we go back and make sure I knew what I was ordering !

Instant Answers: Fornells

Comments

Fornells Travel Guide
Map of Fornells