Ibiza Warnings and Dangers

• Warnings and Dangers
    by Kathryn50
  • Warnings and Dangers
    by Steve-H
    another cafe el mar sunset.
    by Steve-H

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Ibiza

• Lyndra's Profile Photo

Icon Ibiza - Avoid this company!!

by Lyndra Updated Jul 5, 2012

Hi everyone, I am a long time member of VT and have no agenda here except to spare my fellow traveller and club lovers from the experiences we had to endure at the hands of this company. Their URL is www.iconibiza.com but they also market their properties on normal holiday rental sites. I will not name the company directors on a public forum but will to anyone who messages me so that you know what names to look for on the rental sites etc. My advice would be to give this company a wide birth - spend the money on your beer, club entrances and peace of mind on your precious holiday to the white isle. If anyone is concerned that I am grinding axes, I have email, text message and anecdotal witness evidence to nore than support my tale.

This company market themselves as a VIP concierge experience who claim they will sort everything you could need...VIP transfers, welcome packs, restaurant bookings, beach club bookings, Club bookings etc. Their initial emails promise to help you with anything when you get there (however a text to them about a taxi number went unanswered, a text about the dress code at Pacha went unanswered, texts about our promised guest lists went unanswered or not dealt with resulting in us being seriously out of pocket and not having the club nights we wanted). Nothing about this company is VIP and they are VERY expensive.

Having been promised many things on booking they did not appear or they were less than expected. On arrival the VIP transfer was actually a SUV, not so much VIP as family day out at the beach, the welcome pack which should have been water, wine, juice and beer was a litre of milk and 2 bottles of cheap wine - not much to start my 40th birthday celebrations with and so off we went to the Spar!

The apartment was a 3 star pretending to be a 5 star (with a 5 star price tag!). It was battered and threadbare, the sofa was grubby and covered with a dubious sheet/throw, dent in the coffee table, holes in the floor tiles, ants in the bedrooms and kitchen, no dustbins in the bedrooms or bathrooms, dirty grout in shower and around the toilet, food from previous tenants in the freezer, broken locks on balcony door so the apartment was not secure and we had to take valuables out with us every evening, no bedside tables or any surface in the bedroom for toiletries, limited cooking utensils, no welcome book with useful numbers or information, sticky front door locks, mismatched towels with no hand towels and one towel smelled of cat wee (badly!), two bedrooms - one twin and one double with the beds bolted together so that me and my sister had to share! Not enough hot water for the four of us so we had cold showers for 3 days ad the response - this is an island, have shorter showers! The apartment was overwhelmingly disappointing. Sky TV but not many channels. we were advised that we should tell anyone who asked that we were friends and family to avoid there being any issue with the building committee. The view was smashing but that was luck of location and in no way due to the skill of this company.

The club bookings was the most stressful part of the week - on arrival we assumed the bookings we had asked for had been arranged, they had not. We were told one night was booked (it wasn't actually as he told us 4 days later when he was actually booking it), one booking was debated - we wanted Tiesto (we had been told we could have two nights "OF OUR CHOOSING" but he spent ages trying to convince us that we didn't really want to go there we should go where he suggested. There was an issue with Tiesto@Pacha, an issue with Space. If we had let them choose it may have gone smoother. we could't get David Guetta because they left it too late to tell us that there was no guest list. I could have booked the tickets for ANY club night from the UK cheaply and without having to debate, chase the company and listen to their tall tales.

On the day of Tiesto we were told the guest list as full so I complained but to save my family disappointment we bought tickets, then at 6pm the guest list suddenly wasn't full any more (however we were already 180 euros down), for the second club night we asked for erick morillo and the male company director said he would get us on the paying guest list for ed sheeran as well - what a joke! We spent the day before chasing, he told us to chase him tomorrow, so it continued we chased no answer, we got erick morillo but no answer about ed sheeran and so when I complained again the female company director had a tantrum. The saga continued till 10pm on the night of erick morillo when she decided that I wasn't nearly grateful enough to them for all of their hard work and superb customer service so they cancelled our erick morillo guest list. Luckily we had the tickets we had been forced to purchase on the Monday so we went and had a whale of a time.

My 40th birthday meal was nearly ruined by their inability to communicate with us about something as important as the opening time of the restaurant. I had asked for a booking at 7pm in the female directors "favourite" restaurant. You would think then that she would know it doesn't open till 8pm and advise us accordingly...nope! We arrived at 7pm to be advised that the restaurant wasn't actually open and we had to sit outside for an hour waiting while the staff had their tea and set up for service. When I asked the Manager I was told that the table had been booked for that day but NO TIME was given so I assume Icon Ibiza thought the restaurant were going to hold my table all night!!! The meal was delightful but more examples of ineptitude.

On the morning of departure, despite me texting them our leaving time for the airport no one turned up to collect the keys - we waited from 7.20 am outside the apartment block (needed to leave at 7.30am), we texted them at 7.45 to see how long they were going to be - no answer, in the end at 8.05am we had to go back into the block and lock the keys in the apartment so we could go to the airport. We texted them again at 8.10 am to tell them what we had done - guess what no reply, 40 minutes late for departure to the airport we finally got into a taxi.

So unprofessional, and actually quite pathetic...so my holiday ended with the same level of stress that they had contributed to in the first place.

I was not surprised that this company were as ridiculous as they turned out to be - two weeks before departure I read a horrendous review and feared for the worst, lived up to by the poor communication and customer service skills of this couple who seem to do this job as a hobby and take no professional pride in a job well done and happy customers. What is truly alarming is that when you google this website they are full of positive PR but from VIP's - newspapers, magazines etc. I have resented reading people saying what a great VIP service they received when I am a teacher and my money is hard worked for, hard saved and then wasted on a couple who have a sense of deluded self value and importance that makes them think they are entitled to customer gratitude for mediocre work...very distressing!

My only request VTers is that you think twice and then think again before you part with any money to this company - err on the side of caution and use another company unless you are actually a friend or family of the company directors (or if you are a DJ, music mogul, journalist or person who can give them something I couldn't!) and in this case maybe you will get what you expect and more. Be careful folks and feel free to message me if you want more specifics before you book. happy clubbing anyone who is going there and I would highly recommend Tiesto Clublife @Pacha on a Monday evening.

• Beaches
    • Singles

• jdee2002's Profile Photo

A once beautiful place ruined.

by jdee2002 Written Oct 9, 2011

Having visited San Antonio bay over the last 28 years, i have to say that for me this once little gem has now been completly ruined by the youth of today. The constantly drunk youth, the wide eyed drug taking clubbers (who now reside in the bay aswel as the town), the over inflated prices of everything, it all makes for a grim time. I have my fondest memories in this resort, the last time i went was in 2004, it still resembled what i once knew then, this year 2011 i took my 11 year old son. The resort now resembled a greek clubbing island, the hotels are dirty, no longer are the bar staff friendly and appreciative of your custom, even the once family friendly hotels are blearing out thumping club music from 9am until late night. the final straw for me was when we was taking the ferry boat across the bay one night, with the 'captain' so obviosly dealing drugs to british clubbers en route.

• glamourprincess's Profile Photo

Jellyfish

by glamourprincess Written Aug 5, 2008

Unfortunately there is an increasing problem with jellyfish in the Mediterranean sea. We saw 3 or 4 jellyfish during our stay in Ibiza. Mostly in the water at Ses Salines beach. They did disappear later in the day though. We were lucky that there were just a few this time, but it has been worse and it seems like the problem is getting bigger.
    My advice is to book a hotel with a pool in case jellyfish invade the beach when you're on holiday.

• glamourprincess's Profile Photo

Buying disco tickets with restrictions!

by glamourprincess Written Jul 20, 2008

Clubbing is a huge part of holidaying in Ibiza, therefore tickets to the clubs (or disco tickets as they're called in Ibiza) are sold about everywhere.. in bars, restaurants, shops, hotels..
    Tickets usually cost 15-50 euro depending on the club, event, DJ.. Generally buying at the door will be the most expensive (up to 70 euros at Pacha on some nights). When tickets are that pricey of course you want the best deal. Prices may vary at the different outlets, but it's important to be aware when purchasing tickets as many are sold with restrictions (no entrance after 1 am, not valid on certain days etc) I had a really sour experience buying tickets from one of the OFFICIAL outlets (Tantra in Playa d'en Bossa) for Tiësto at Privilege at 45 euros - only to discover that the ticket was not valid on that day and having to step out of the awful long line at Privilege and buying an additional ticket for 20 euros.
    We did go back and we did get a refund, but I'm still not sure of the policy of these tickets outlets..Even when buying tickets for Pacha at the Pacha shop we discovered that they were not valid after 2:30 AM. So be careful! Study the tickets carefully before/right after buying, or buy at the official stores or at the door.

• Music
    • School Holidays

• Kathryn50's Profile Photo

Jelly Fish

by Kathryn50 Updated Aug 31, 2007

I was advised by my rep to look out for jelly fish when I went swimming in the sea but in the two weeks I was there I only ever saw the one, I did manage to get him on camera though.
    Being more or less transparent they`re difficult to spot, but if you look carefully you can just make him out.

• Beware of the Beast (Boat Trip)

by chatnchew Written Aug 21, 2007

Do not go on this boat if you dont want your holiday ruined! both me and my husband thought we were going for a fast ride and at the worst we would get wet (WRONG) this trip lasted one hour and twenty mins and i have never been so scared in my life.
    The guy driving the boat is the only one strapped in initially it was fine the first five mins fast and enjoyable what we thought it would be untill he got further out to sea, he then started lifting the boat up at the front and then crashing it down really hard on to the waves it was like hitting concrete he done this about ten times one after the other he will then stop for about five mins and continue only it gets worse and a lot more dangerous at one point i really thought i was going to be thrown out of the boat.I knew i had damaged my back and was aching all over by the time we got back to the harbour i was a complete nervous wreck. My husband although at the time was feeling sore didn't think he had been as badly affected as me turned out he was worse as he injured his coccyx bone and was in agony. For the rest of the holiday we were on strong pain killers, this is our third week home and we are still taking them, what really makes me angry is that there are no warning signs to let folk know the risk they are taking getting on this boat and the folk taking your money certainly dont tell you ! if for instance a young women in the early stages of pregnancy went on this, well it doesn't bear thinking about or someone with back problems to start with could possibly end up seriously injured. Please take heed of this warning i am in no way exagerating and do not want other holiday makers who work hard to save up for their hols to end up like me and my husband. Sorry forgot to mention this trip cost 35euros each total rip off.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Beaches
    • Water Sports

• maffustan's Profile Photo

Lucky Lucky men.

by maffustan Written Jul 26, 2006

A typical lucky lucky man trying to sell his junk!

Africans selling watches and sunglasses (usually drugs as well if you stay around long enough to find out) are everywhere. You are constantly being pestered no matter if you are having dinner in the daytime or walking out a nightclub at 6am. They dont take no for an answer sometimes and will hassle you having just watched you say no to their friend 20 yards up the road.

• rdgbge's Profile Photo

Big women on the beach!

by rdgbge Written Jun 27, 2006

Two of my friends and i were walking along the beach and out of nowhere these big buxom women dressed in african clothes appoached us and some how seperate the three of us from each other. It happened so fast - i didnt even know they were there until i was getting this band made out of hair wrapped around my finger.

The next thing I knew they were asking me for money and being in shock and not knowing what to do i started to reach for my purse to give them some change, I pulled out 1 euro and as I did that they were saying that i must have more than that and tried to take my purse from me to have a look.

I could not see my friends anywhere, but all of a sudden in the distance i caught a glimpse of one of them and the next thing i knew she pulled me out from the wrath of these women - I was saved!

Basically my message is run!

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo

Noise

by freya_heaven Updated Feb 11, 2005

Our tiny room at Hotel Tampico

We stayed in San Antonio, which has a reputation for mainly young people staying there, very lively etc. Which was great as it was why we chose that area.
    BUT
    It was just never quiet, especially in our hotel, partys going on all night etc. We usuallly used to catch up with our sleep on the beach as it could be too noisy to get any sleep at the hotel!

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo

Murderous Mopeds

by freya_heaven Updated Feb 11, 2005

Me, showing off my Injuries! (~_~)

We hired Mopeds for a day. None of us had ever been on one before & there are some crazy drivers out there.

I came off mine I was narrowly avoided being hit by a passing lorry. Just be careful!

Photo is me after my trip to the hospital. I know it does not look much , but you could actually see the bone in my knee!!

• Women's Travel
    • Motorcycle

• Plaites of hair around your finger!

by nickieworldtraveller Updated Dec 2, 2004

I know this sounds strange and in a way I fell really bad for saying it but if you go to Ibiza and the women who stand on the sea front waiting for drunk clubbers to cross their path try and out hair around you finger, don't think they are being nice and that they are doing it to give you good luck or whatever, they are not! When me and my friends were naive enough to let them do it to us they held us there (by the hairy finger) untill we gave them money for it! I tried to get some change out of my purse for them and one women swiped something like 20 Euros!! I was less than impressed. We used to think they were poor and probably helpless but if they do that to everyone they are probably multi millionaires!!
    My only advise about these people is to avoid them, even try not to make eye contact!! This advice is not as harsh or extreem as you may think!!

• ettenaj's Profile Photo

Heights

by ettenaj Written Nov 14, 2004

Walled old town

When visiting the Old Town do remember to wear sensible shoes as the climb up to the top is quite steep, high heels are not recommened. The view from the top is great, also the view looking up to it from the bottom is splendid.

• Beach_dog's Profile Photo

The 'Lucky Lucky men' .

by Beach_dog Updated Sep 13, 2004

Lucky Lucky man on the beach.

The 'Lucky Lucky men' you will recognise them. Most are African from Senegal and you will see many around the streets and beaches of San Antonio and occassionally in Ibiza town. They are selling cheap gold jewelry, designer sunglasses and watches, and ask extortionate prices. The 'gold' jewelry will turn green on your first swim in the sea, and if the watch still works at the end of the holiday you are lucky. This is all a front though for selling drugs, they will then offer you Hashish, E's, pills etc. They can be agressive and have been known to force money out of people. The best policy with them is a firm 'No' and dont get involved in a conversation or shake their hands (they dont let go).

• Business Travel

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

Buy bottled water

by Carmela71 Written Jun 15, 2004

I do not know in the rest of the island but in San Antonio even washing your teeth is not very nice.

Also is recommended to drink a few litters everyday specially if you go on partying and then to the beach, but I guess that’s common sense….

Water is a treasure in the island and very expensive, as they do not have many ways of getting it.

• bugalugs's Profile Photo

S'Agamassa

by bugalugs Written Jan 19, 2003

I know it is only common sense to look after handbags etc. But while we were in S'Agamassa a lady had been walking along a narrow pavement with her husband, she was next to the road, and had her handbag on her shoulder on the road side. Suddenly she felt her bag being pulled from her shoulder. She couldnt believe it had all happened so quickly!!! The offenders were on a motor scooter, and it seems that whilst the driver of the scooter slowed down enough, the pillion passenger then learned over and snatched the ladies bag!!! Besides them getting away with the bag, money etc. the action caused her to fall and she badly damaged herself and needed to go to the hospital.

So a warning is to carry bags away from the road. Apparently the police had told her that this action was getting more common.

Instant Answers: Ibiza

Comments

Ibiza Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Ibiza warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ibiza sightseeing.