Places to eat in Palma de Mallorca

Most Viewed Restaurants in Palma de Mallorca

• starship's Profile Photo

MacGowan's Irish Pub: Genuine Irish Pub in Palma de Mallorca

by starship Updated Dec 14, 2013

When my husband and son felt they had had enough sightseeing for one day, they somehow found this genuine Irish pub, MacGowan's, on a little side street not far from Almudaina Palace and Le Seu Cathedral. The cozy, dark interior held only a few tables and an L-shaped bar. A soccer game was on the TV behind the bar, and there were newspapers spread about the place. It obviously was a locals' (and perhaps ex-patriates) bar and some customer voices definitely carried an Irish brogue. MacGowan's had its own aroma of beer and cigarette smoke.

On this lazy Sunday afternoon, my husband and son were very obviously the only tourists at the bar. The US ship and squadron insignia stickers dotting the area behind the bar were somehow reassuring and made MacGowans decor quite memorable. It reminded my husband of his own stories of flying into Palma with the Navy many years ago.

We didn't find the customers or the bar attendant extremely talkative (this really is a neighborhood bar), and since soccer is not my husband's sport of choice, our stay at MacGowan's was briefer than it could have been.

Sign from MacGowan's: "Open: 9:00 am til late!! "Food served all day 365 days a year."

Favorite Dish: Rather than order a Guinness, my husband tried a Stella Artois, the pale Belgian lager which he seems to like more than the heavy red lagers. Prices ran from about 2,5 to 3,5 Euros for a half to a full pint.

I'm sure bar snacks were available, but on this hot & humid day, the ice cold beer was a treat in itself.

• Beer Tasting

• starship's Profile Photo

Almoina ~ "Cafeteria & Bar": Next to Le Seu Cathedral

by starship Updated Dec 14, 2013

While trying to hide from the sun and heat, we came upon the "Almoina", a little cafe with bar next to Le Seu Cathedral. It was a charming little place with tables on the sidewalk as well as within the cafe itself. We chose to sit inside, not because it is slightly less expensive to be served inside, but because we didn't want to be in the sun and ceiling fans inside were a plus. I am glad we chose to sit inside because it was rather interesting and it gave us a chance to look around a bit, people watch and use the restrooms.

Our order consisted only of bottled water, a beer, and a couple of fruit drinks because, frankly we were quite overheated already. The waiter was civil, if not welcoming as I recall. He probably would have been happier if we had ordered food too!! But hey, would a smile have killed him!?!?? After all, the only customers he had that day were obviously tourists!

The interior had a cozy, European but Moorish influence, with a lovely tile mural on the wall, a dark wooden-beamed ceiling, arches, and many Byzantine lamps of different shades of glass hanging from the ceiling. The large wooden bar was surrounded with shelves holding colorful bottles of sodas, beers, wines and liqueurs which made for a real focal point in the room. Seeming oddly out of place was a suit of armor on one side of the room near a little elevated area holding more tables and chairs for diners who probably arrive later in the evening. On the walls and above the arched entryways were decorative plates, paintings, copper pieces and wall sconces.

The interior was so interesting that I walked around just to snap some photos!

Favorite Dish: This cafe was certainly lovely in the daytime and I can picture it being very atmospheric when the sun is setting. We did not sample the food here, and the service could have been more friendly, but without a doubt I enjoyed our little respite here and would return.

I never discovered where the steps next to the cafe led nor did I learn what "Antigvedades Linares" meant. Anyone with a clue, please let me know!!

UPDATE (May, 2011):
    "Antigüedades Linares is an antique shop with 1.800m2 area, found within the limits of the old city of Palma de Mallorca." This information was provided by VT'er Adema29. Thanks!

Interior tile mosaic

• Stine620's Profile Photo

El Patio: El Patio - Mediterranean inspired food!

by Stine620 Written Jul 3, 2013

The restaurant is located about a parallel street from the beach.

You get it served everything from salts, pizzas, pastas, soups, etc.
    Part of what I thought was the best was that you could choose whether you would have small or large meals. While the food tasted good and it was great service.

Greek salad

• gabriellefox's Profile Photo

El Ciebo: South American Grill

by gabriellefox Written Apr 28, 2013

South American Grill specialising in Argentinian meats.

I was taken here for lunch on my Birthday and it was the perfect choice!

There was a large group of us and the food and service were far from disappointing. We elected to eat inside but the large windows which sheltered us from the breeze perfectly framed the amazing vistas of the harbour and surrounding area. The restaurant has beautifully landscaped terraces where al fresco diners can enjoy the sunshine and the views.

In winter the sheltered and spacious dining area remains comfortable and atmospheric due to the grills where the amazing steaks are flame grilled. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Favorite Dish: You have to try the Argentinian meat - certainly on par with Gaucho chain. Non of us in the group were disappointed with our choices so whether you opt for fish, soup, chicken or salad you will probably still want to dip into someone elses plate but not because your food is not up to scratch.

Hard Rock Cafe Mallorca: Famous restaurant

by Britannia2 Written Nov 7, 2012

We did not visit but I include it because I want to go the next time we visit Palma and also because a casual reader of these pages may welcome the fact there is a Hard Rock Cafe in Palma.
    The cafe is a short walk west from the city centre and opposite the marina but in a nice setting with great views.
    The website link has all the details you need.

Hard Rock Cafe

Cafe Almoina: Great for the architecture and interior

by Britannia2 Written Nov 7, 2012

I guess many people find this cafe as we did - you get off the tourist bus and head for the Cathedral and there is a very welcoming Cafe Almoina.
    We only had time for soft drinks and a coffee but the coffee was the best I tasted in 14 days in Majorca and I am sure the food is fine here too - it looked it.
    The staff were very pleasant but always keeping an eye on the toilets to make sure only people using the cafe entered the toilets. (If only countries other than England had public toilets!)
    The interior is cool and airy and a delight to see as I hope the photos show.
    Amazingly good value - a coffee was only 2.40 which was good value for a cafe in a tourist area.
    Spoiled by the smokers who smoke openly (there is no smoking ban in Spain as in England) without any regard or thought for others around them.

Cafe Almoina Cafe Almoina Ornate fountain in the cafe

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

Cafe Talat: Good but bad!

by Britannia2 Written Nov 7, 2012

There is a whole string of cafe restaurants along Passeig des Born ( the attractive street leading from the harbour and past the cathedral) and you may as well choose any - it's difficult to see where one outside cafe ends and the next one starts.
    We happened to choose the Talat - service was fine and the waiters friendly to anyone who spoke Spanish or English - they seemed to have no patience for anyone who did not speak these languages. Food was OK and a mix of baguettes, pizzas, paelleas, pasta dishes - something for everyone wherever from Europe people were from. Also lots of Spanish people too but I do not think they were locals as the people with shopping did not stop along this street. Food prices fine but the 1 LT drinks very expensive and inside the kitchen area was far too near the toilets. No English health inspector would licence this cafe! Toilets also quite basic.
    Like any tourist city wander down a side street and look for better value - we were stuck for time and this is why we went here.

Favorite Dish: Food was fine - the Hawian pizzas we had were well made and filling.

Cafe Talat The long strip of cafes including Cafe Talat Carving ham at the Talat

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

El Rocio: El Rocio

by mindcrime Written Jun 25, 2012

This was just one of the numerous small places we tried away from the touristic area, still in the center but with locals inside.

There is an area full of wooden tables and nice decoration with wines or posters that explain things about beer etc

We went there to watch the Champions League’s final so we just stood at the bar together with some locals that seemed to be focusing on the football match too. Some other people were at the tables eating seafood which seems to be the speciality of the place.

We just ordered beers (1,8e for a bottle) that came with a (free) small portion of sardines. Quick friendly service, we liked the place.

El Rocio restaurant poster beer at El Rocio

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

Cafeteria Maura: Cafeteria Maura

by mindcrime Written Jun 25, 2012

The city center of Palma is full of cafes and restaurants, small alleys like carrer del Mar are lined with places that try to catch customers with some special offers most of them offering some tapas for a great price. It was our first day in Palma and we were already tired of walking so needed something to eat and a cold beer. We just choose one that had some tables outside on the other side along the avenue.

The offer here was 5 tapas for 10 euros but soon we realized that it is just another rip off for tourists, mediocre taste and expensive drinks to balance the offer, we couldnt really believe that they charged 6,5e for a beer! (the most expensive beer we ever had in Spain in general!).

We just drunk our beer, eat the tapa and decided that all the other nights we would had dinner in places away from the touristic area and guess what we never payed more than 2euros for a beer… it was a good lesson for us…

Cafeteria Maura tapas at Cafeteria Maura

• Restaurante Toque: Really Good

by klad1982 Written May 30, 2012

The chef is super friendly. The food is high end food. The price is totally okay for the quality of food you get. They use fresh ingredients. A superb selection of dishes that would suit most palates.

Favorite Dish: Homemade Foie Gras Terrine
    Wheat “risotto” with pumpkin and rosemary
    Scrambled eggs with black pudding and pine nuts
    Skate with a soft caper sauce
    Boneless suckling pig on sweet potato purée
    All homemade desserts

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• johnaalex's Profile Photo

Virtual Beach - La Solana Restaurant: Great food and service overlooking the sea

by johnaalex Updated Apr 4, 2011

Here you can have early evening cocktails and a very good meal overlooking the sea and then end the night in the nightclub. I only did two out of the three and have to say that I was very impressed with the service, value for money and ambience.

You can reach the bar/restaurant/club by either the steps down the side of the cliff or via a lift. Walking down is OK, but I definitely recommend the using the lift to get back up
    The restaurant staff were superb, friendly efficient and knowledgeable. The food lived up to expectations and it was one of the best meals I have ever had. My starter was a chicken and prawn salad although on the menu the chicken was referred to a bird breast – strictly true but I did ask “which bird?” before ordering. My veal was cooked medium as requested was very tender and tasty. The raspberry dessert was a great end to a great meal.

Favorite Dish: The veal.

Cocktail bar at Virtual from the cliffside steps Prawn and bird's breast salad Just desserts! The main entrance

Sa Cranca: Arrozería - Rices

by flyfreak Written Jun 15, 2008

I was recommended this place by an employee of the Hotel Ciudad Jardín hotel as I was asking her for a good place to have paellas and rice dishes. She was from Palma and she said she was a food lover, so I trust this must be a great place. Unfortunately the day we went it was closed, but maybe you might want to give it a try.

Favorite Dish: The rice dishes are supposed to be great.

• flyfreak's Profile Photo

Lizarran: Tapas, montaditos y platos combinados

by flyfreak Written Jun 15, 2008

What a place! I loved it. It is the typical place where you get a plate and choose from the montaditos (little sandwiches with all kinds of food variation) and tapas. Each montadito has a toothpick on it - this is for counting the amount of montaditos you have been consuming afterwards. The price of each montadito is EUR 1,- (June 2008). You can also order platos combinados.

Great service and food! A typical experience!!!

Favorite Dish: The montaditos .. yummie.

montaditos :-)

• flyfreak's Profile Photo

El Caracol: Where the locals go in Ciutat Jardí ...

by flyfreak Written Jun 15, 2008

If you are staying in Playa Ciudad Jardín, you will notice that there are a lot of relatively expensive seafood restaurants. If you fancy some local, affordable food, try the CARACOL.
    Very friendly staff, and the kind of atmosphere you have when it is a place where the locals go for dinner - lively and nice.

Favorite Dish: The platos combinados (main meals) come in huge portions and have a phantastic taste. My friend had roasted rabbit which was fabulous and I can also recommend the grilled chicken.

drinking chupitos @ a nice and friendly place
    • Beaches

• bonio's Profile Photo

TajmahalII: Great curry!

by bonio Written Apr 12, 2008

A Friday curry is almost a tradition for us and, very close to our hotel, we spotted this restaurant. Just how Indian sused to be in the UK before they all had the designer makeover, and all the better for it. We were early evening visitors and first in, was filling up quickly as we left, busy with takeaways all the time.
    Food top notch, for a change I went vegetarian and excellent potato and chickpea balti for me, well cooked and very tasty, Mrs Bonio equally impressed by her choice.
    well worth a visit.

Don Juan Hotel
Latest: Jul 13, 2014
Marina Portals

Instant Answers: Palma de Mallorca

Comments

Palma de Mallorca Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Palma de Mallorca locals.
Map of Palma de Mallorca