San Sebastián Restaurants

• Seafood pintxos at Bar Kursaal, San Sebastian
    Seafood pintxos at Bar Kursaal, San...
    Pintxos at Bar Kursaal, San Sebastian
    Pintxos at Bar Kursaal, San Sebastian

Most Recent Restaurants in San Sebastián

• alexchip's Profile Photo

Akelare: Beautiful balance of creativity and flavor

by alexchip Updated Jul 28, 2013

This might be the best meal I have ever had. The setting (make sure you ask to sit by the window), service, and food were absolutely amazing. The restaurant is about a 10min cab from San Sebastian going up the mountain. The restaurant is situated on top of the mountain looking onto the sea: breathtaking. My girlfriend and I went for lunch, each getting a separate tasting menu (three available) so that we could try as many dishes as possible. Sometimes my girlfriend is a little hesitant with tasting menus but everything we had was delicious (earlier we debated going to Arzak but I preferred these tasting menu options from the online menus). The presentation of the pawns cooking on hot coals is very cool and the mushroom/ arugula on sheets of paper thin pasta literally melts in one's mouth. The foie gras is the best, period (and I have had a lot of foie after 3 weeks in Spain). The meal finished with the Chef coming out and talking with the customers. Every part of the meal was meticulously planned and timed. We had their sommelier pair wines with each course and, in total, we were at the restaurant for about 3.5 hours. The sommelier even exchanged a glass of wine as it didn't match our pallete. He reviewed where the wines had come from and specifically why they were chosen. It was exceptional. VERY ROMANTIC and a must if one can afford it, as it is expensive. I hope to return on my next visit to San Sebastian.

Favorite Dish: Foie Gras--better than any other we had in Spain (and we had it about a dozen times over one month)

• Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Bar Kursaal: Simple pintxos behind Playa de la Zurriola

by SWFC_Fan Updated Apr 28, 2013

Bar Kursaal, San Sebastian

In the autumn of 2012, I read an article in which the British consumer magazine "Which?" had conducted extensive research to identify the world's best city for eating out. Based on their findings, they concluded that San Sebastian was the best city in the world for foodies!

This conclusion was based not only on the fact that the city apparently had the most Michelin stars per capita (a fact that was of no interest to me...or my budget!), but also on the fact that diners could expect to find good quality food in even the simplest of eateries. It was the latter fact that most appealed to me; the notion that I could work my way around the city's renowned pintxos bars and get tasty local food in any one of them.

This article was still fresh in my mind when we visited San Sebastian as a day trip from Bilbao in December 2012. Needless to say, I was keen to put the "Which?" findings to the test and sample as many different bars and restaurants as I possibly could in one day!

Bar Kursaal was our third stop of the day and was exactly the kind of place I had in mind when reading the "Which?" claim that even the most basic eateries serve up delicious food.

It is a small and simple bar, located just behind Playa de la Zurriola beach. We sat at high stools at the bar and examined the small selection of pintxos. These included slices or tortilla (Spanish omelette) and small pieces of bread topped with seafood mayonnaise, meats and vegetables. It wasn't a particularly impressive spread (it certainly paled in comparison to the vast offerings that we found in the pintxos bars in the old town), but all the food looked well prepared and it was adequate for the small snack that we were looking for. It was also considerably cheaper than the pintxos bars in the old town.

We ordered glasses of Txakoli wine (€1.70) and slices of crusty bread topped with ham and mushrooms (€1.80 each).

The waitress warmed our pintxos up in a microwave. Despite their fairly small size, they were very generously topped; several slices of thin ham and half a dozen sliced mushrooms on each one. They weren't particularly memorable, but they were tasty and enjoyable.

A simple bar with a small selection of pintxos near Playa de la Zurriola beach. Ideal for a quick lunchtime snack and a glass of Txakoli wine.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Bar Barandiaran: Breakfast baguettes near the town hall

by SWFC_Fan Updated Jan 28, 2013

Bar Barandiaran, San Sebastian

Our first stop of the day was Bar Barandiaran where we stopped for breakfast following our one hour bus ride from Bilbao.

We stumbled across this cafe on Alameda del Boulevard, just behind the town hall and a short walk from Playa de la Concha beach and San Sebastian's old town. It was a sunny (but cold) morning and quite a few of the outdoor tables were occupied. We decided to sit inside.

Having already spent a few days in Bilbao by this stage, we had grown familiar with the concept of pintxos (Basque tapas) and so we grabbed a table and then made our way to the bar to see what pintxos were on offer. They were mainly of the sandwich variety; baguettes filled with ham, chicken, tuna, cheese, chorizo, peppers and a variety of Spanish omelettes.

The prices were a little more expensive than we had been used to paying in Bilbao. Each baguette cost €2.60 – we rarely paid over €2.00 for a pintxos in Bilbao – but this was typical of our dining experience in San Sebastian; everywhere was just a little bit more expensive than in Bilbao.

The drinks were very reasonably priced though; we ordered 3 café con leches and 1 green tea (€1.40 each).

We each chose a couple of baguettes from the counter. I opted for one that was filled with a thick omelette (deliciously warm, lots of egg and small pieces of bacon) and another that was filled with a chicken breast in seasoned breadcrumbs and a green pepper. As sandwiches go, both were very nice. This was a good start to our circuit of San Sebastian's eateries!

A good selection of baguettes in a nice cafe behind the town hall. I can especially recommend the omelette-filled baguettes for breakfast!

• ilovespain's Profile Photo

La Muralla: Another good restaurant...

by ilovespain Updated Oct 1, 2012

One evening I was scouting for a place to eat in the Old town. It was way past my dinnertime and it was cold and chilly. After a while I found this restaurant with an interesting tasting menu so I decided to give it a try. I never have to stand outside a restaurant and wait for it to open in America, but here in Spain, I have to do it quite often, whether it is for lunch or dinner. Since I did not call ahead for a reservation and I was all by myself, I did not get a very good table. It was in a high traffic spot so every patron who walked in saw what I was enjoying. Not a problem as I am so used to it. The food was pretty good, roasted pigeons, grilled tuna and chocolate souffle for dessert. If I remember correctly the bill came out to be about 60 euros. This restaurant is no Arzak but nonetheless I had a decent meal and will definitely come back. Gave it a 8.5.

Favorite Dish: The roasted pigeons were good.

• ilovespain's Profile Photo

Astelena 1997: Good food here too...

by ilovespain Updated Sep 30, 2012

Another good recommendation from Maria Cristina the first time I came to San Sebastian. Since then, I've been back numerous times. The food just gets better (or the same), I mean consistent. It is not exactly in Old Town, and you will not stumble upon it. Not as touristy as a lot of places. I got lazy last time, ordered off the English menu, didn't cross-check with the Spanish one. So for the 'Astelena-style Fish Cake", I got fish mousse, and 'chocolate pudding' turned out to be Chocolate Souffle. What a surprise!

Good food, good service, and clean bathroom. I'll be back.

Bar Martinez: Excellent tapas

by ilovespain Updated Sep 30, 2012

Eat first and ask questions later!

The concierge at Maria Cristina recommended this restaurant. On a street somewhere in old town, I waited outside for it to open. It was well after 1PM. If there is such a thing as Basque nouvelle pintxos, you'll find them here. Very tasty.

Favorite Dish: Deep fried artichoke hearts...Deep fried artichoke hearts...Deep fried artichoke hearts...

• ilovespain's Profile Photo

Gandarias Taberna: Good lunch here too...

by ilovespain Updated Sep 30, 2012

I looked around and most people ordered steak and they looked good. I had Gandarias Salad - crab meat and anchovies on lettuce hearts and tomatoes. Very tasty. Squab was delicious. Extremely busy and lucky enough to get a table.

Favorite Dish: A small family will have an order of steak and fries to share. Will do the same next time!

• ilovespain's Profile Photo

Alberto: A few doors down from Bar Martinez...

by ilovespain Updated Sep 29, 2012

The decoration is nothing fancy but the food is always good. I cannot get a glass of sangria in Bar Martinez, but in here, I can get it by the pitcher. The portion they serve tends to be heartier. I have tried their fish soup (similar to the French version, saffron and garlic... muddy color, excellent), duck breasts (medium rare), grilled prawns and anglerfish. Very good restaurant!

Update (May 2006) -- Since Bar Martinez is closed (temporarily I hope), I 'had to' stop by here for a quick bite instead. The owner was "shocked" when I asked for ketchup with my croquettas. Later when I ordered the mushroom a la plancha he jokingly asked me whether I want Tabasco! Very good wine too for just 2 euro a glass.

Update (Sept 2012) -- Quality not as good since the introduction of the daily menu.

Favorite Dish: Tapas not as "eye-catching" as Bar Martinez but just as tasty.

• ilovespain's Profile Photo

La Cuchara De San Telmo: I had a good lunch here!

by ilovespain Written Sep 29, 2012

Stumbled upon this joint. Not the most eye catching, but noticed a group of French tourists having a good time so I decided to grab a table. I was pleasantly surprised.

Favorite Dish: Cod cheek tempura and braised veal cheek.

• ilovespain's Profile Photo

Mil Catas: One of the best...

by ilovespain Updated Sep 29, 2012
    Treble bypass special

They won some prestigious pintxos award in 2009, so I decided to give it a try. A bit of a walk from Old Town (10 minutes after you cross the river), but it is worth it.

Favorite Dish: Foie Gras on creamy risotto (aka heart attack on a plate)

• ilovespain's Profile Photo

The restaurant at Hotel Mount Igueldo: Nice restaurant with a panoramic view of SS!

by ilovespain Updated Sep 28, 2012

roasted suckling pig

While staying at Hotel Londres, one evening I went up to Hotel Mt. Igueido for dinner. The view of the La Concha Bay was magificient. The restaurant opened at 8:30 in the evening. But it wasn't very busy until 10PM. I had fish soup, tournedo rossini and a half bottle of wine. The tab came out to be 60 euro. It was well worth it. The service was attentive and friendly. Will definitely come back next time when I am in town!

Came back in Sept. 2010. Still good!

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Cafe Bar: Cafe Bar - Across from Bus Ticket Office

by Roadquill Written Jul 22, 2011

So often the cafes near the bus stations or the ticket offices ..... well just suck. Not so the case here. Right across the street from the ticket PESA ticket office is a small cafe bar with a small but excellent assortment of tapas. For less than 10E I had a light meal, two beers and left with a laugh and a pat on the back from the owner.

• Photography

• jnyvegas's Profile Photo

Arzak: Great 3 star food

by jnyvegas Written May 10, 2011
    This egg dish was also off the charts

We got there early so we parked down the hill a couple blocks at the local pool/soccer feild and walked up. The place is modern and very bright. We had the Lunch tasting menu. It was very good and I would go back in a flash.

Favorite Dish: One of the 2 dishes that have stuck with me was an appitizer of a sardine folded over on top of a strawberry. I thought to myself "this is going to be horrible" before I put it in my mouth, it was so good that almost a year later as I write this I can still remember the taste.

The other dish was a puffed up thin hollow ball(the size of a baseball but longer) made out of a thing dough, you then filled it with a truffle foie gras mixure and ate it....wow was that good.

The desserts were all great (so many of them) along with the service. A must do if you can afford the bill.

• PALLINA's Profile Photo

every restaurant: Pinchos or tapas mania

by PALLINA Written Aug 17, 2010

In the basque area I have found just tapas restaurant. I mean very small portion (which may cost from 2 euros each) of meat, fish, vegetables in a very easy way to eat with fingers. It's a sort of finger food but generally quite sophisticated. Even when seated, you can choise menu with many pinchos.

• Work Abroad
    • Women's Travel
    • Singles

• Izkina Bar + Restaurante: Great Food /handiko elikadura

by niamhni Updated May 23, 2010

I was in Donastia for a short break with my mother and aunts and one of their daughters.
    We happened upon Izkina on our first night and were very happily surprised that we did. The food was amazing, great selection and great value set meal choice. The staff were very friendly, despite only one of them having English ( we are Irish) and I having only pigeon Spanish if even that and no Euskadi at all. They were very patient with us and helpful as we muddled through the excellent menu to select our choices. We were never rushed even at closing time. The place was extremely clean and everything well presented. It also seemed to be a very popular local place, it was full on the Friday we ate in another place, not the same at all. We resevered a place for Sunday wanting to taste the cuisine once more. It was my gran aunts 80th birthaday and the staff came out with a little cake for her. We were so grateful and it made our stay very special. Well worth a visit if you like good food and people.

Favorite Dish: Sopa Pescado - a starter but a meal in its self, didn't realise had to tell staff when to stop pouring so I had an enormous bowl of soup yum! I love fish so the Pescados y mariscos, merluza or hak in cheese sauce is soooo nice. The veal is good too. Portions are so good you won't be hungry. Food is never over salty ( it was in a lot of other places we tried when we couldnt get a table at Izkina)
    You will be happily stuffed on the set menu which includes wine. Or you could simply order a main meal which really would be adequate we just like our food and grew up with the old adage of waste not want not and enjoyed every single morsel that was put in front of us. Now comes diet time! :-)
    Eskerrik asko guys!

Instant Answers: San Sebastián

Comments

San Sebastián Restaurants

Reviews and photos of San Sebastián restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for San Sebastián sightseeing.

View all San Sebastián hotels