Isla de Gran Canaria Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Isla de Gran Canaria

• kevin36's Profile Photo

Snaks

by kevin36 Updated Aug 31, 2009

We found this place in Maspalomas on the sea front not far from the Lighthouse, nothing really to shout about ,it was OK.
    However it was inexpensive and quick,service was good,but I ad the half of chicken and it was overcooked and tough,in fact almost burnt to a cinder.
    Maybe I just caught them at a bad time?.

Favorite Dish: It would have been Chicken! however I was disappointed,other meals that i saw looked good.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Beaches

Tapas Tango & Grill: Tapas restaurant in Playa del Ingles

Tango Tapas & Grill

This is a very nice restaurant in the center of Playa del Ingles, the party city very close to the San Agustin.

There are a lot of bars, pubs, restaurant and discos, and here we also found this tapas restaurant.

We went there two days in a row, taking a taxi (3,40 euro) from our hotel in San Agustin.

The first night we had tapas, which means we got the menu, and then picked out 12 different plates, with smaller meals. Had everything from garlic bread (oh... I miss those!!) to chicken, fried octopus and rabbit.

Great way to explore most possible meals! Only problem was maybe that we were totally full after just half of them... :)

Too much beer I would say...

The second time we instead chose to have just one meal, with a HUGE entrecote, which took me like forever to eat.

And another time some beer... ;)

The restaurant is really nice, with live music from a guy with a guitar both evenings. On the walls and on the roof earlier guests have written their "salutes" to the chef, but nowadays it's so full with text that no one is allowed to write.

Felt a bit like I was sitting at a mexican/american tapas. Or maybe I should say it felt like I would imagine it would be, as I've never been to Mexico or USA... ;)

Favorite Dish: You should book in advance (see phone number below) as the restaurant was full both nights! We were lucky to be there early the first night, and then we made a reservation for the second evening.

• YPie's Profile Photo

Tagoror: Restaurant in a cave

by YPie Updated Dec 31, 2004

Go right up to the end of the Barranco de Guayadeque (take the road from Aguimes) to this place. It doesn't look too much from outside, but once you go in you are in a cave with a bar. There are tunnels going off, follow them and see where you lead. Some of them open up into dining areas (seats carved from the wall of the cave, stone tables), there is a little shop round the back, and far more than you would imagine form the front. I was lucky in a way to visit when it was raining, it forced us inside instead of sitting on the terrace and missing out on what was inside.

The food's good too!

Edited 311204 to say that I went back on 26 December 04 and the food's just as good as I remembered. If you go up on Sunday's they do special dishes like a fish stew and ropa vieja, and a lot of the people there are locals which shows that it's not just a tourist trap! Our meal for three (three courses including wine) came to just under 40 Euros from memory, and was absolutely huge!

This is without a doubt my favourite place to eat in Gran Canaria,.

• YPie's Profile Photo

The Greek Taverna: Great Greek food

by YPie Written Jul 6, 2004

This is one of my favourite places to eat in the Playa del Ingles area. I love it!

The meals are huge, and very Greek. We try to go on a night when Emilio is cooking, although there are some dishes he prepares in advance which are a good standby when he's not in the kitchen! He's Greek and a great chef to boot!

Favorite Dish: My favourite starter is saganaki (fried feta cheese and ouzo), and I love the chicken parmesan as well as some of the more traditionally Greek dishes.

We've never got as far as desert!

• Henrik_rrb's Profile Photo

El Capitan: Right above the beach!

El Capitan, San Agustin

Right above the beach in San Agustin we found El Capitan.
    For dinner we went there once, on Valentine's Day (why can I never manage to have a girlfriend on VD...?), which was really nice.
    Dark, but still nice view over the ocean. And the telly showed a football game too... :)

Good food, good prices, and a nice design of the restaurant.
    Only negative thing was that they mixed up an order, so they gave the wrong meal to one of my brothers. They changed it, but then it took almost half an hour before the right meal got to him...
    Then we other had already finished...

They also serve lunch, which we visited quite many times during the week. Good pizza, pasta and a lot of other dishes.

Only problem here was our waiter, who seem to have controll over everything, except giving us the right food/drink...

Everyday it was something he forgot, so in the end of the week we had a competition about what he would forget this time...

Favorite Dish: The pizza Tropicana...Mm... And the cold beer to that! Amazing!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo

Restaurant Cosmos - Klörubar.: An Icelandic restaurant in Yumbo.

by Regina1965 Updated Jan 18, 2009

I at Kl��rubar.

Klörubar - Restaurant Cosmos is an Icelandic restaurant in Yumbo center, frequented by the many Icelanders visiting Gran Canaria in the winter time as well as other tourists. There is an Icelandic political meeting here on Saturdays at 11. An Icelandic lady, Klara, owns this restaurant and has been running it for many years. Icelanders turn to her with many questions and this restaurant has sometimes been called the Icelandic community center.

You can chose from Icelandic food or International food. The fish was lovely, big portions and everything up to par.

The restaurant is situated on the second floor in Yumbo center and is open from 11-23:30.

Favorite Dish: The Icelandic fish is very good.

• tompt's Profile Photo

? (first restaurant after San Bartolomé): At last a canarian meal.......

by tompt Written Jan 30, 2005

papas arrugudas

The restaurant has a great view over a valley. We sat outside on the terrace, but if you don't like that there is also plenty of room inside.

Favorite Dish: Papas arrugadas. Unpealed, boiled potatoes. The potatoes are boiled in very salt water, and residue of the salt can be seen when they are on your plate. The potatoes are eaten with mojo verde or mojo picón. Both typical canarian sauces. the red one (picón) is spicy and the green one has different herbs in it.
    These potatoes go with almost every dish, and are also delicious with a beer as a snack.

San Remo: Italian

by tompt Updated Jan 27, 2005

The atmosphere in this italian restaurant was real good. We got a free sangria with a bruschetta before we ordered anything.
    The food was good and not expensive.
    And at the end we got a ´ron miel´ on the house. ´Ron miel´ is a traditional drink from Gran Canaria, it is translated as honey rum.

The restaurant is open from: 12:00 - 24:00

• Birsen's Profile Photo

Meson Enyesqueria "La Tertulia": Great meat dishes

by Birsen Written Feb 16, 2006

If you go to visit highest points of the island ( like Tejeda, Las Cumbres) to see incredible views over the clouds. This is a good chance to have lunch or dinner.

The place is on the way to the peak points. From here half an hour drive to Tejeda. So you calculate...

Favorite Dish: It just renewed and opened. So very nice and clean. The food is delicious! I tried "vuelta de cerdo" (pork fille) it was very good. also my husband had "paleto de cordero" (lamb shank)

• Mountain Climbing

Espetada: Between the scandanavians

by tompt Updated Jan 30, 2005

salmon marinated in dille

We tought we found a restaurant somewhat spanish. Between all the italian, german and dutch ones it was a relief. But it turned out we arrived in a scandavian hotspot. We were the only non swedish.

The food was great tough. The salmon was marinated in dille first and then grilled. The steak Tom ordered was huge (in fact it were two steaks on a stick).

Lippo's: Nice lunchrestaurant

by Henrik_rrb Written Mar 3, 2005

The first night in San Agustin welcomed us with a huge rain weather... Thanks a lot...! So we decided to take the closest restaurant, and run for that.

It happened to be Lippo's, and it sure wasn't a bad choice.
    Not only the food was great, and the prices were modest, but some of the waitresses were really cute too! ;)

Favorite Dish: I had some chicken here the first night, which was terrific!

The day after we went back for lunch. Chose a hamburger, which wasn't even close to the first night.

So great for the evenings, not so good for lunch.

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

La Oliva: Superb Fresh Tapas

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Dec 28, 2008

I have never been impressed by these so-called tapas restaurants where pre-prepared morsels of food sit on a bar counter behind glass for perhaps hours until someone succums to hunger and relieves them from their glazed prison.

I was therefore surprised and delighted to discover the "real thing" as I searched for a toilet just off Las Canteras beach. I took a seat while my Mother used the facilities, and I ordered a jug of sangria to pass the time.

I thought my eyees were deceiving me when I saw the blackboard offer five portions of tapas for €10. I simply had to order to see what it was about. I expected to be served five individual items, but instead I watched in amazement as dish after dish of exceptional freshly cooked food arrived to the table.

First of all there was the more or less de riguer dish of wrinkled baby Canarian potatoes with hot Mojo sauce. Muah! I can never resist these. A dish of freshly grilled baby green pepperadillos seasoned with sprinkles of sea salt was placed on the table at the same time. I had never had them served that way before and I must admit the combination of thesharp pepper taste combined with the saltiness of the seasoning was perfect.

After a couple of minutes three more dishes arrived - thinly sliced panfried beef, crisp calamare rings, and tiny sardines.

Everything was superb. I wandered into the interior (delightful to have been sitting outside at 9pm on a late December night) and it was typically old fashioned Canarian, but I could see that all dishes were being cooked to order and there was no food left hanging around.

Two other guests from our hotel walked past and we waved them in to join us - there was far too much food for two people. We sat and ate and mopped up tasty sauces with crusty fresh bread. We chatted and people watched and forgot the time.

With another large jug of sangria and some bread the total bill for everything was just €32.00.

Favorite Dish: This is the perfect place to sit and watch the world go by in typical local style and at prices just about anyone could afford.

• Maria_75's Profile Photo

Sakura I, II and III: Sushi

by Maria_75 Updated Dec 4, 2005

Sakura is a japanese restaurant with great meals. They have two restaurants in Las Palmas and one in Playa del Inglés.

Try one of their menus! You get a lot of different meals for prices from 10-20 euro. Try also the japanese beer; Kirin. It´s not included in the menu (only local beer), but it´s worth the extra price.

The restaurants are very popular so in weekends it´s wise to book ahead so you don´t have to wait for a table.

Sakura I

Tel: 928 765 527

• Birsen's Profile Photo

Many city restaurants: Menu of the Day, Menu del dia

by Birsen Written Apr 27, 2005

Many restaurants in the city have the so-called "Menu del Dia" which consist of two main dishes (each one with a choice of two or three). a dessert (few to choose), beverage (beer/water/wine/soda) & bread, all for between 5 and 9 euros!!

The food is generally very fresh. You will see a sign in many places stating their menu del dia prices and food options

Sakura III: japanese?

by tompt Written Jan 30, 2005

sushi

The restaurant serves great japanese food, but the waiters are not from japan. Most are from china and the man in charge was local.
    Didn't really matter as the sushi was delicious, and the great yakitori was so filling we couldn't get dessert in.
    We ate in the part that is standing on the sidewalk, in the part of the restaurant that is in the concretebuilding they prepare the food in front of you.

Instant Answers: Isla de Gran Canaria

Comments

Isla de Gran Canaria Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Isla de Gran Canaria restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla de Gran Canaria sightseeing.

View all Isla de Gran Canaria hotels