Isla de Lanzarote Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Isla de Lanzarote

Costa Azul: Great salads

by ATLC Written Mar 9, 2011

Costa Azul restaurant in El Golfo

El Golfo is a nice little seaside village to stop after a visit to the national park Timanfaya. It is also home to another attraction, the green pond.

Lunch while watching the waves crash on the shore right in front of you. This was a lovely place to stop and relax. I would certainly go back here!

Later in the week, someone local recommended this restaurant to me as one of the 3 best in El Golfo.

Favorite Dish: Great big salads. I had one with little tiny sea snails that were deliciousl.
    This was our first introduction to the typical Canarian 'Papas Arrugadas'. Little potatoes boiled in very salty water (originally sea water was used), dried in the pan and served with two lovely sauces called 'mojo'.

Garlic, coriander, pimiento... you could taste it all.

We spent 31 euro on the two salads, the papas, bear, juice and 2 coffees.
    Oh... the bread appeared on the bill for 1 euro.

Los Cadenas: Grill - Local - Strongly recommended

by ATLC Updated Mar 9, 2011

Restaurant Las Cadenas in La Vegueta

This restaurant was recommended to me by a young guy who workes in the agricultural museum in Tiagua. I got talking to him about restaurants for locals and he told me that this was the one 'just 3 minutes away' where he sometimes ate with his family. That was was exactly I wanted to hear: that he ate there himself. He said they did fresh meat very well.

We set off immediately because he said that reservations were necessary, especially in the weekends (it was a Friday). It was about 4.30 in the afternoon, quite early for dinner but we'd skipped lunch.

On the outside it is just a roadside restaurant. Coming inside we saw a lovely, welcoming interior. Possibly also because at least 5 tables were occupied with about 25 local people all in animated conversation and eating. All tables were different: a group of older women-friends, business lunchers and a group of friends obviously celebrating something (lots of alcohol on the table, bottles...).

The atmosphere was exactly right.

This was a meat restaurant so we each got our French Laguiole knives out and laid them on the table. The head waiter was delighted and impressed. He even jokingly tried to pinch my knife while he took away the other cutlery. But I showed him that it is engraved with my name so a definite no-go!

Favorite Dish: A T-bone steak for him and a kid goat leg for her (18 euro each). See photos!
    If you've read my critical tip about Casa Rojo in Puerto del Carmen then here's the exact opposite. No fancy vegs or fancy plating. Here a very tasty and huge half bell pepper, grilled, some chips and the meat grilled to perfection.

The other thing that was exactly right: the waiters really listened to you. Nobody spoke anything else but Spanish to us. But we got across what we wanted, right up to the paying of the bill with a credit card.

We had a main course and a dessert each, a big bear and a fresh orange juice. Finished off with coffee. The tota bill amounted to 54.30 euro and that included the lovely time we had.

Casa Roja: Not impressed

by ATLC Updated Mar 8, 2011

Restaurant Casa Roja, Puerto del Carmen

This restaurant says on its business card: "Possibly the best restaurant in town. For sure the most famous one!"

Well, dear people, it is not.
    Yes, staff is courteous and very attentive. Yes, problems are solved quickly and without a problem.
    But Gordon Ramsay would have a field day here, where they sell Canarian CUISINE.

Lamb rack overcooked until grey? Quickly replaced by a sirloin steak that is rare indeed but also not very fresh either. They tell me the very sweet (as in jammy!) jelly dots on my fish roe are fish caviar? The vegs don't look fresh and taste 'off'? They can't fry a proper crepe pancake for dessert? For this they charge 75 euro?

Things go wrong when a restaurant thinks for its customer. I know what fish eggs taste like. They do not taste like jam. I do not want an English menu thrust before me without the question if I want one in English. I want to be able to say how my meat should be done. Why assume I want it well and truly overdone? How disrespectful of the poor little lamb.
    If I order a 'Canarian sweet dessert' I get 'Bienmesabe' a traditional Canarian dessert. Wonderful. But why not put 'Bienmesabe' on the English menu by its proper name? Are you not proud of it?

Favorite Dish: Well, the shrimp (peeled) in garlic was good. The plates looked nice. The tables were well laid out, the location was nice.

But this restaurant needs a serious wakeup call.

Churingos (Chiringo Beach): The well recommended shack on Arrieta Beach

by ATLC Written Mar 8, 2011

The beach shack called Chiringo Beach, Arrieta

I read about this in a tip by local VT member Iomi and what a great recommendation that was indeed!
    We ate there and then returned later in the week for our very last meal on Lanzarote. That's how good it was.

If you let caution to the wind and eat everything you want (including a drink or two each and/or coffee) then you spend 11-14 euro per person.

The dishes can be ordered in different sizes: tapas (the smalles portion at 3.50 euro), 1/2 racion (half portion at 5 euro) and racion (a main course size, I believe 7.50 euro).
    The staff are a busy lot and very friendly. When you point things out on the menu (with photos) they ask 'tapa'? (that's what it sounds like) which means they're asking if you want the 'tapas' or smallest version of the dish. I said 'si' to everything since I wanted to taste as much different things as I could.

While you eat, you can enjoy the surfers in the water.

Favorite Dish: I had been craving for some freshly grilled sardines and that's what I got first. The local Papas Arrugadas (small potatoes) with two excellent mojo (green and red sauces), fresh squid fritters and the spicy chicken. After this meal I tried the local dessert a 'gofio' mousse made with a special kind of very fine cereal (almost flour) that was excellent. For this and drinks and coffee we paid 22 euro.

The second time round we tried the fish fritters, fried chorizo, and again the spicy chicken and papas arrugadas. Then my eye fell on a big sign saying 'huy paella' (paella today). So I had to try that too. All excellent. Another gofio mousse, 2 glasses of beer, fresh orange juice and mineral water and the bill amounted to 27 euro.

There was a 'mama' serving too and I taught her the word 'lekker' which is Dutch for 'muy bien', very very good!

• MAMMA CARLA: DONT MISS THE FRESH SEAFOOD

by Alexlean Updated Mar 6, 2011

If you are coming to Lanzarote and want to eat excellent food in a cosy atmosphere with great hosts, then you have to go to this restaurant. The food is absolutely fantastic.
    Top quality but not pretentious, really fresh ingredients. Service was first class.
    great pizza and pasta.
    Great value for great food and service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Dish: PIZZA AND LINGUINE SEAFOOD

• MammaCarla: MammaCarla good restaurant in Lanzarote

by Butterfly2012 Written Jan 2, 2011

Good service and delicious food. we were a group ! The steak was cooked to perfection and everyone was happy with the food and service.
    Great homemade Italian food at very reasonable prices.
    I would definitely reccommend this place i f you enjoy high quality Italian food.

Favorite Dish: Pasta and pizza

• MammaCarla: VERY GOOD

by Miketown Written Oct 29, 2010

I went to MammaCarla after read a lots reviews on website. I dont like to write review but MammaCarla Chef deserve it.
    This little gem situated in Puerto del Carmen near Biosfera is a fantastic italian restaurant, where the service and food are very good.
    we had dinner, my wife took a l large portion of lasagna and i ate a big pizza margherita, with two beers wepaid less 20 euro total.a little less. Great value for great food and service!
    If you go in Pdc is a must.
    One of the best i found in Lanzarote

• MAMMA CARLA: BEST ITALIAN RESTAURANT IN LANZAROTE

by BeniaminoyBlanco Written Aug 20, 2010

We have just returned from two weeks in Puerto Del Carmen and ate in MammaCarla two times during that time after hearing about it from this website. Everything we tried was fabulous Pizza and pasta the best i have ever eaten. The staff were very helpful giving advice on the different dishes.
    In MammaCarla we ate. the authentic italian food cooked by a Chef italian native.
    Restaurant is never closed.
    Mamma Carla Chef's mother and all the staff are lovely, really friendly !Will definitely go back next time we are in Lanzarote.
    If you go to Lanzarote is a MUST.

Favorite Dish: Rigatoni Mamma Carla, polpette fried, pizza and linguine seafood or with mushroom.

• MAMMA CARLA: GOOD RESTAURANT IN LANZAROTE

by Mark43 Written Aug 11, 2010

I ate here many times during the week I spent in Lanzarote, and every time the food was superb, the service friendly & attentive, the atmosphere welcoming and the prices reasonable.
    Chef, takes pride in his food and will even prepare a special dish if asked,whatever you ask is not a problem, rigatoni and mushroom, or seafood linguine, spaghetti MammaCarla with meatball, fantastic Pizza,.
    We tried pizza Jovanotti and pizza four season ......GREAT, was one of the best I have ever tasted.
    we were delighted to find this restaurant. we are a big fans of Italian cooking but very few Italian restaurants outside of Italy ever meet my expectations. This one did in every way.
    In Mamma Carlas we found the authentic italian cuisine.

Favorite Dish: my favorite dishes are:rigatoni and mushroom, or seafood linguine, spaghetti MammaCarla with meatball, fantastic Pizza, Jovanotti and pizza four season, or Gregorio special of the day .

• Tandoori in Costa Teguise: A new Indian gem!

by kostoglo Written Jun 16, 2010

If you like authentic Indian food or are a vegetarian, you will LOVE the Tandoori restaurant on Avenida de Islas Canarias, not far away from the street intersection at Hotel Albatros. We returned there several times during our family vacation and everybody (and there were six of us!) was amazed at the quality of the food served. It's a family place, where the husband cooks and the wife serves. The husband is a truly talented chef! In the US we typically start dinner at 5pm, but despite the fact that this restaurant opened at 6pm, it was well worth the wait. I'm a lacto vegetarian and had a hard time finding wholesome veg meals in Costa Teguise -- bad quality vegetarian lasagnas and spaghetti with various sauces quickly got boring. Tandoori has a lengthy vegetarian menu. The dishes are all fresh, spiced for a nuance-loving palate and very hearty. I tried korma, dal and a few other dishes and all of them were equally superb! The owner is from Panjab, very friendly and makes your visit truly personalized by chatting with you at length and making you feel at home. My meat-eating family members were as happy with the food as I was. I'd like to thank the owner for the awesome food by writing this starred review! Please take the time to visit this incredible place if you're on Lanzarote!

Favorite Dish: dal, korma, other vegetarian dishes

• Study Abroad

• MAMMA CARLA: DON'T MISS RIGATONI MAMMA CARLA AND PIZZA

by Tony1966 Written May 18, 2010

This restaurant is a little treasure in the old town in Puerto del Carmen. The food is excellent, the restaurant is bright, airy and scrupulously clean, the service is perfect, lovely music and a big screen to watch tv
    I first visited the MAMMA CARLA in june 2009 and have been in Lanzarote 3 times since and each time have ate at least four times at this restaurant.
    My favourite dish on the menu is Rigatoni mammacarla - it s fabulous, I am never disappointed!
    The MAMMACARLA is not to be missed if you are visiting Puerto del Carmen, you will not be disappointed, it is definitely one of i my favourite restaurants.
    Chef Gregorio is very professional.

Favorite Dish: there are many dishes from Pizza really italia, pasta tortellini, rigatoni and other

• Wine Tasting
    • Beaches

El Pescador in Costa Teguise: Overrated and overpriced

by LNata Updated Apr 5, 2010

This was our first supper on Lanzarote. The restaurant is recommended by some guides and it is nicely located in Pueblo Marinero - central of Costa Teguise. My fish was burned outside and not properly fried inside. My friend could hardly chew her meet. Disappointment.

• LNata's Profile Photo

Villa Toledo in Costa Teguise: Nice veiw but don't eat there!

by LNata Written Apr 5, 2010

Nice location with nice view. We tried it once for breakfast. Service was strange - I guess waitress was still sleeping or drunk because she took order for one cake and left not even asking what another of us would like to order or what we would like to drink. Then she brought the cake and immediately left again... we had to fetch her to finish the order... And the cakes were like unfrozen plasticine. Fie!

Casa Toma in Costa Teguise: Local Food in local place

by LNata Written Apr 5, 2010

This place is not noble and from outside looks like a kind of fast food place. But that is not the case. Good local place a bit away from touristic paths. We took jambon with melon, octopus and some shells which name I don't remember (but there is a photo attached). Everything was delicious.

You can come here after visiting the shipwreck, nice sunset and view to Spanish royal residence.

Mar Azul and Casa Torano in El Golfo: Great Fresh Seafood

by LNata Written Apr 5, 2010

These are two restaurants in El Golfo. Both are located in the row of sea food restaurants. This two do not have written menu and you have to ask waiter for what they have today. Both were great.

Danger! The portions are so big that it is hard to move after lunch! Don't take plate for two if it is less then three of you. Or take a sit outside, then you can share your fish with cats :)

Instant Answers: Isla de Lanzarote

Comments

Isla de Lanzarote Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Isla de Lanzarote restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla de Lanzarote sightseeing.

View all Isla de Lanzarote hotels