Isla de Lanzarote Warnings and Dangers

• Warnings and Dangers
    by Mahlec
  • Warnings and Dangers
    by Mahlec
    Sharp and unstable rocks.
    by Tripack

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Isla de Lanzarote

• New scam.

by Mahlec Written Jun 16, 2014

On the boulevard there are several stores that have actively focused on scams. However, this one was new to me. For example, they give you an ipad to show that it's the real thing. Once you paid, they say you should wait for the original box. Then they want information from you, because of the warranty. Then they ask for your creditcard or debitcard. When you tell them you don't have a credit or debitcard they ask you how you are going to pay for the remaining amount. You won't pay, because you did already. So eventually you will get no money back and no ipad. You can not prove that you have paid. Share this post so the store at least be close.

• Distortion

by jaypat Written Apr 19, 2013

These give a very distorted view of our beautiful, safe island. Yes, PRs outside restaurants can be a nuisance sometimes (go in and complain to the owner), don't put your handbag on the floor and no girl in her right mind would walk alone on any beach late at night

• Singles

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Restaurant Touts

by SabrinaSummerville Written Oct 7, 2011
    You can get great food with a huge smile

This is not so much a "danger" tip as a "nuisance" one.

Since the onset of the great recession the restaurants of Lanzarote have suffered greatly, losing a huge amount of passing trade as tourists prefer to stay in all-inclusive hotels. Accordingly, the eateries have established various ways to encourage people inside. By and large these consist of pretty great offers of fixed price meals including wine etc.

However, on our last trip we had a couple of nasty experiences in the Harbour area of Puerto del Carmen. The most upsetting of these was being accosted by a young man as we left a wonderful harbour-front seafood restaurant. He was the "tout" for the Italian place next door and claimed his Father owns the restaurant (God love him if he does!!!!!). Anyway, this young guy stood in our way and refused to let us pass. He proceeded to abuse us (and remember that my Mum is 74) for not eating in his place. He used words such as "disappointed", "disgusted" etc and was most intimidating. Next thing one of the guys in the restaurant further on from that joined in the chant and began to berate us for not eating in his place. I stood my ground and told him I wasn't taking his nonsense, then moved on.

If either of those restaurants ever expects to enjoy my patronage in the future they are gravely mistaken.

What sort of damage are these guys doing to Lanzarote Tourism??

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Wind!

by ATLC Updated Mar 9, 2011

A windy day on Lanzarote

It can be very windy on Lanzarote. Sometimes we'd leave in the morning in full sunshine but some 20 kms further landinward (and up on mountains) it would be cloudy and very very windy. Which means the temperature is quite a lot lower than at the coast.

My trip was end of February/beginning March. I do not know about the weather in other seasons but I do know I needed my leather (windproof) jacket quite a few times because it did feel cold in the wind.

• Fake Diamonds

by lizzieah Updated May 16, 2008

Just been into a jewellers at home today to have a diamond and aquamarine ring made bigger. I designed and had this made by, who I believed to be a reputable jewellers in Puerto Del Carmen, already having the aquamarine stone. When I had the ring made it fitted but now it is snug, so I took it to the jewellers today and they gave me back the receipt saying 18ct cz and aquamarine ring and the value of £500. When I purchased the ring a few years ago, it cost me £500 then to have made, considering I already had the aquamarine, I thought it was still quite expensive but as I had four princess cut diamonds set into the shoulders, believed it would be an investment, especially as the jeweller advised me to insure it for £2,500. So, imagine my disbelief that my beautiful ring is now not worth half of the value I had believed it to be, nor does it have real diamonds in it. If I had wanted costume jewellery, I would have asked for it. I am devastated, so please please be very careful when purchasing any jewellery, I know they use a lot of 'white sapphires' but wonder now if they also are cz's. Im not sure if I can put the name of the jewllers in here, but we had used them for watches and rings many times in the past, they had Audemars Piguet watches in their window - are they fake too?

• mustertal's Profile Photo

Out Alone

by mustertal Updated Apr 3, 2008

Beach

Although Lanzarote is a quiet Island, and relatively safe, there have been attacks on girl's late at night, when they were walking on the beach alone.
    It is wise to keep off the beaches late at night and stay in the lighted areas, avoid dark streets, stay safe.

Always keep your your money, passport and valuables in a safe, it is worth paying the extra.

• Raven_Fire's Profile Photo

Money Exchange

by Raven_Fire Written Feb 15, 2008

Be careful when using shops to exchange money with a really good exchange rate... check the rate against your currency before handing over the cash.

Our experience was a rate of 1.40 eur to the english pound and they tried to reduce our euros by 40! But fortunatly I had already worked out the actual amount, the shopkeeper was not happy about it, so I guess it was a regular scam!

• Women's Travel

• lomi's Profile Photo

Tiny things that bite

by lomi Updated Aug 2, 2007

mozzy

The good news is that malaria is carried by the anopheles mosquito, which is not generally found in Lanzarote. Still, you dont know where the last mossy was when he was drawing someone else's blood do you?

If you dont want to douse yourself in toxic chemicals take a tip from me which I always use to keep the blighters away.

Buy a plastic spray bottle (on Lanzarote the many Chinese bargain shops sell them for a euro), add a few drops each of the following aromatherapy oils ( from pharmacias and herbelario's or health food shops)

thyme
    lemongrass
    lavender
    peppermint

the insects hate the smell, so spray around your windows, bed, or any area they may get in (under doors). It is safe to spray on your bedclothes and add a few drops to some oil to massage on your skin.

If you do get bitten, dab with pure (100%) lavender oil - the cheap brands may not be pure.

• kayleigh06's Profile Photo

street vendors

by kayleigh06 Updated Apr 9, 2007

During the night time you can get hassled a lot by the street vendors, so when they hassle you say "no thanks", smile & keep walking. That way you shouldn't get much hassle off them if they see again during your stay.

• Si-Leeds's Profile Photo

Hire Cars

by Si-Leeds Written Jan 25, 2007

Beware some of the hire cars and check them over as there are some death traps and its not the same as UK hire where you go around the car with a rep etc etc, you pay and you get pointed towards your car.

Check the tyres have tread and that the brakes work as well as there are horror stories about the hire cars, they might look new and okay but they dont seem to do anything with them at all.

• Singles

• lomi's Profile Photo

Personal Safety

by lomi Updated Dec 4, 2006

Lanzarote has a low crime rate, but there are risks as anywhere else, especially where alcohol and drugs are concerned in the main resorts. The Spanish press rarely publish anything bad as it would give holidaymakers the wrong impression.

I have only once or twice seen anyone beg for money on the island. There have been many illegal immigrants arriving by boat from the African Sahara and Morrocco. The world should have great pity on these people, and personally I feel more should be done to help desperate people. They are not entitled to any benefits and therefore could be looking for opportunities, to make money.

We tend to be relaxed on the beach and take it for granted our stuff will be ok. Don't take valuables, leave them in the hotel or safe. Keep ground floor windows, without bars on them, shut at all times you are out, as well as at night. I have heard of robberys from the these ground floor rooms left ungaurded.

Be vigilent when out in clubs and restaurants, a friend of mine lost her bag in seconds of putting it down and being distracted, containing her keys, wallet and personal ID.

• Women's Travel

• scratch cards

by parsnil Written Oct 6, 2006

Yes its the old pick a scratch card and you have won scam, we were taken to pueto del carmen marina for "lunch" after which we were given the hard sell on holiday clubs but alas we did not earn enough money for the company to want us!

• tango_jd's Profile Photo

BEWARE Camcorders, Cameras, Electronics

by tango_jd Written Feb 19, 2006

There are many Electronics or Camera shops selling supposedly cheap duty-free cameras. They are NEARLY ALL CON MEN.
    We got caught-out in PDC but they are all over the island - luckily we only "lost" 90 Euros.

They were mainly indian/asian-owned shops where we were - they show "discount items" in the window or else tell you a price for a JVC or SONY camera. Then when you think you are buying one, they announce that they do not have the leads/chargers/batteries etc or that they are available but at a price! THEN they try to sell "a better one" with x-many mega pixels, etc etc etc.... THESE ARE FAKE OR CHEAP IMITIATION JVC/SONY cameas etc.

One example is MIXJVC or MXJVC etc etc - JVC know NOTHING about these!

Alternatively, once you have handed-over the money they try to get you to exchange the item for "a better one" - same rubbish!

They are cheap poor-quality goods.

DO NOT GO IN THE SHOPS - DO NOT HAGGLE PRICES - DO NOT TOUCH WITH A BARGE-POLE!
    THEY REALLY ARE ALL CON MEN.

Look-up "Lanzarote Fake Cameras" on Google!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Careful how you take your snaps!

by scottishvisitor Updated Jan 19, 2006

Crowded picture

All the major points of interest in the Island are jam packed full of tourists. Most people arrive by tour coach and get very busy. Hence you might end up with lots of strange heads in your pics. Wait around a while they will soon disperse & you might just get a decent shot.

• dotshand's Profile Photo

fairly safe

by dotshand Updated Jan 7, 2006

the island is fairly safe with a low crime rate, but there are thefts etc. it is one of the few places abroad that iam happy for my kids to wander about into shops, arcades etc on their own, when shopping watch out for the electrical goods shops selling cameras etc, they are not always such a good bargain. if driving, take care in the main resorts it can be a bit busy, but up in the villages it is quiet and no problem, be aware though, do not be tempted to have a drink with lunch and go driving because if you are caught the police come down very hard, possibly with a jail sentence!

Instant Answers: Isla de Lanzarote

• Apr 30, 2014 at 8:47 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the prostitution along the strip at Puerto del Carmen. It shocked me and I want to warn other males; they are very insistent! I went there a few weeks ago, and must have been approached a dozen times over three or four nights. Two even grabbed my genitals which, joking aside, was very unpleasant. Unfortunately, being English and therefore 'obliged' to be polite, I wasn't as firm with them as it would have been necessary to be to shake them off. I just ended up running when seeing one about to approach!

• BerendRdam's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Watch out what you are drinking when going out! Especially in Puerto Del Carma. I got drugged last weekend overthere so please watch out and keep your drink close to you!

Isla de Lanzarote Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Isla de Lanzarote warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla de Lanzarote sightseeing.

View all Isla de Lanzarote hotels