Isla de Tenerife Shopping

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

La Casa De Los Balconies: Genuine Isla de Tenerife Gifts

by wise23girl Updated Sep 23, 2011

From Volcanic Rock

There are two shops opposite each other in the little street full of gifts for the eager tourist in La Orotava. The big difference is that both offer genuine "Made in Isla de Tenerife" articles.
    You can actually see some of the articles being made right there..

In one shop the genuine articles are kept in a separate section and they pride themselves on advising you.

And there are 4 balconies full of flowering plants to admire...hence the name.

We were taken there on one of our tours. Unfortunately our time there was brief and we did not have opportunity to return.

What to buy: I bought some little ornaments made from volcanic rock. In Puerto de la Cruz I bought a small painting .

• Bushman23's Profile Photo

Various: Electronics & Photography

by Bushman23 Written Jan 29, 2011

One of many Shopping centers!

There are plenty of electronics shops around Tenerife, especially in the Centro Commercial's of Los Christianos & Las Americas. I was amazed when i realized how cheap electronics are on tenerife - easily 25 - 35% cheaper than anything in the UK. Worth going to Tenerife just for the discounted prices!!

What to buy: Anything involving Photography, for me :) Batteries, Lenses, Camera bodies, tripods, etc. all on offer.

What to pay: 25-35% less than UK prices

• Photography

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

Somewhere along the Cobbled Streets: How to buy 20 fans in Tenerife

by wise23girl Updated Dec 27, 2009

The Fans

It ended up just being one of the many gift shops in Puerto de la Cruz so definitely not unique.

There were many beautiful fans to see in the various shops some of which cost 11 to 20 euros each. Some were wooden so I gave these a miss in case Australian Customs did not allow this type of wood. And I had to find "cheap" fans.

But were we on a mission. My son wanted 20 fans to give away to his dancing friends in Canberra, Australia. Can't you buy fans in Australia?

What to buy: Now there are many many cheap shops in Puerto de la Cruz. Many selling the same trash. You can also buy pearls, some local products(if you can find them) ,and I did buy an original painting from an artist on the promenade (see photo).
    And you can buy fans.
    So the fans I searched for high and low and then bargained for were plastic but had a nice frill and a Puerto de la Cruz scene... but I guess they were "fakes" and not made in Isla de Tenerife!

But my son is happy. I asked for a photo so I would not forget the buying fans saga.

But being plastic 20 in number the fans weighed over a kilo so poor me had to find a way to get them on to Aer Lingus without being overweight. Yes lugging them in my arms all the way back to Gatwick. Thank Goodness we were not with Ryan Air.

Then it was plain sailing with Emirates back to Australia. Extra luggage allowed.

And my final word "Please do not give me a fan for Christmas"

What to pay: I ended up paying 2 euro per fan . Bought 20. Cost me $A10 to post in Australia

• amapola66's Profile Photo

Designer Shopping Centre: Plaza Del Duque

by amapola66 Written May 17, 2009

If you visit Plaza Del Duque, you'd better take your credit card! New and spotlessly clean, it hosts designer stores including Cartier, Escada and (the more affordable) Mango.

The center is also home to the toruist information office and you can grab a drink or a bite toe at at one of the restaurants and abrs.

What to buy: Nothing - it's overpriced! but nice to look around. ; )

• Women's Travel

• the professor: Rip Off Merchants in Tenerife

by robertcarson Updated Apr 17, 2008

Electronics and cameras

What to buy: Do not buy anything from this shop as it is all a con trick, they ripped me of for a memory stick
    I will be returning in September and will go back and see them but do not hold out any hope
    of a refund

• THE PROFESSOR, at Puerto Colon: camaras tenerife

by lenhanley Written Apr 11, 2008

I dont advice anyone to buy anything from this shop, they will con you with everything they sell, In all good faith I purchaced a ipod nano as a present for my grandson at Xmas, when I got home to England, my grandson and other members of my family told me it was a FAke. a copy, I went back on holiday at Easter, so I took it back, and they said it was not a Fake, but I now know it is, as I have now seen the genuine ones, but they still will not admit that it is a fake, and will do nothing about it.
    So if you want to buy a genuine item, dont buy from THE PROFESSOR at Puerto Colon.

ps. while I was in the shop someone else came in,who also said he had been sold something different from what he asked for.

YOU have been warned.

• parisanglo's Profile Photo

El Corte Ingles: Tenerifan Chic

by parisanglo Written Feb 7, 2008

London has Harrods, Paris has Galerie Lafayette, New York has Macy's and Santa Cruz has...erm...well...El Corte Ingles (OK, it's not just Santa Cruz, because there is an El Corte Ingles in practically every large town in Spain). A large and bustling department store with everything the dedicated shopaholic could desire. But be warned, this place is more-or-less Spanish speaking only. You will struggle to find multi lingual staff because almost all of the clientele are local Tenerifans.

• Women's Travel

• didgeridorien's Profile Photo

Santa Cruz: Sunday Market

by didgeridorien Written Dec 28, 2007

As the name may tell you, there's a market in Santa Cruz every sunday. It's near the bus station and it's huge. The reason to go here is that you'll see some real Tenerife people, hardly any tourists.

What to buy: There are loads of different things you can buy here. There are the africans of course who are selling watches, bags and african craft. But there's also a lot of clothing and secondhand junk being sold. Somewhere in the middle is a tiny marketplace in a building where you can buy fresh meat, fruit, veggies and bread.

What to pay: It's all very cheap.

• omkar electrical santiago 111: electrical shopping

by jack139 Written Oct 19, 2007

this shop is a con shop never buy anything from it!it changed the exchange rate while going through the trans action of debit card when i found out they accused me and my family of being liars its only because i checked my bamk online got no joy what so ever with a refund and they turned really really nasty and told us to leave the shop.

What to buy: perfume you cant go wrong

What to pay: cheaper than airport

• Seniors

• various: Tenerife - Buying a camcorder BEWARE

by GordonFern Updated Oct 6, 2007

Many shops offer camcorders and cameras at seemingly low prices. We purchased a couple - there were a couple of gotchas to be wary of

1. Very few shops show prices in the windows and will try and sell you a more expensive model after selling you the cheaper model and then pointing out it is pretty poor - you've already spent your money and are now in a salvage position
    2. They sell you the camcorder take your money - then inform you that it will not do much unless further accessories are purchase. E.G. batteries that only last 6 mins! It will only record 1 minute unless you purchase further accessories at a similar price to what you have already paid!
    3. When back in England searching the web suggests that the bargin I supposedly got was at best comparable to UK prices and at worst case left me out of pocket!

Make sure you decide on the make you want, know its value in the UK and insist all accessories are included to make it viable before being dragged into negotiation

• Kajser-MK's Profile Photo

brand shops: Safari Shopping center

by Kajser-MK Written Aug 11, 2007

safari

One of the best shopping centers in Playa de Las Americas. Located just oposite Mare Nostrum Resort. It looks luxurious especially with the wonderfull fontaines in the middle of the mall.

What to buy: You can find Skechers, Armani, Okaidi, Versace here......

• Omkar Electronics: MP4 players iWin i-N75F and Orbit Phantom II

by kriger Written Feb 21, 2007

Last week I had a very bad experience at Omkar Electronics, C. Commercial Parque Santiago 3, Playa de Las Americas, Tenerife. I bought three MP4 players apparently 8GB each. They sell MP4 players with fixed software informing much higher memory than actual.

What to buy: I bought three MP4 players apparently 8GB each. One of them an iWin i-N75F and the two others Orbit Phantom II. When I came home and connected them to my PC it showed only 256MB although the memory info in the system setup menu shows more than 8GB. I explicitely asked the shopkeeper to show me the memory info so there is no doubt that his intention was to fool me. The software must have been fixed so that the screen showed much more memory than actual.

What to pay: 116,67 EUR for an MP4 player with 256MB memory only.

• Luxury Travel
    • Study Abroad
    • Seniors

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Inflatable toys - a bit useless here

by scottishvisitor Written Apr 9, 2005

Beach toys

These children's beach toys were on sale in nearly ever shop in Los Gigantes.
    It is not a good resort for families although there are loads of apartments high on the hill.
    The kids can't play with these things at the beach as the sea is far too rough.
    Maybe the apartment pools let them use them but every pool seems to have a long list of don'ts and playing with such toys is one of them.

• Beaches

Traditional Flower Sellers

by scottishvisitor Written Apr 9, 2005

Buy some flowers

Went for a walk in Puerto De La Cruz and came across these people selling flowers.
    This place has been attracting tourist for over a century.
    It is less popular today because it is in the North of the Island which is really cloudy & doesn't get the sunshine like the southern resorts.

• Beaches

Local Crafts & much more

by scottishvisitor Written Apr 8, 2005

Pretty clocks & plaques

Much more than just a shop. Set in the sleepy little village of Guia Isora in among a few local houses & some bars.
    The shop - come restaurant & bar has an athentic feel. Taste some local liquors have a drink & browse the jewellery gifts & postcards.

What to buy: I love to collect postcards - so spent a lot of time looking for them.

What to pay: Work the price out in your own currency - if it seems ok buy what you most like

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Isla de Tenerife

Comments

Isla de Tenerife Shopping

Reviews and photos of Isla de Tenerife shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla de Tenerife sightseeing.

View all Isla de Tenerife hotels