Playa Blanca Off The Beaten Path

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Playa Blanca

Salinas de Janubio

by call_me_rhia Written Jan 26, 2013

Salinas de Janubio are said to be the most impressive salinas in Lanzarote. They are a short drive away from Playa Blanca, and they are now a national heritage site. This is one of the few salt pans left on the islands - though in the hey-day there were 26 of them. What happened? Well, the fridge arrived and there was less need for salt, as there now was a new method to presernve fish and meat. The salt produced by the Salinas de Janubio is all used in the island - so if you would like to buy some to bring home, jsut head to the nearest supermarket.

lago verde

by call_me_rhia Written Jan 26, 2013

Not far from a village called El Golfo, you can visit one of the strangest sights in Lanzarote... an emerald green lake known as lago Verde. The lake is of volcanic orgin - sort of, at least. A volcano was standing once there, until it sank in the lagoon. Sea water managed to enter the crater and ended up being trapped ... the rest is all due to a particulr seaweed that formed in there.
    The Lago Verde is about 15 minutes drive from Playa Blanca.

a trip to Timanfaya National Park

by call_me_rhia Written Jan 26, 2013

Timanfaya National Park with its 100+ volcanoes is a sight not to miss once in Lanzarote - and you can't fail to imagine how this area would have looked like between 1730 and 1736 when they all erupted simultaneously.

There's no public transportation there, so you either have to rent a car, go by taxi or joined an organized tours. because we had a small baby with us, we opted for a taxi, in order to be more flexible. However organized tours are not a bad idea, since once you get inside the park, you cannot visit it on your own. From the public car park you will be directed to park buses and will enjoy the volcanic landscape from its windows. Private cars are not allowed, nor are hikers - this of course to protect the delicate flora and fauna.

Instant Answers: Playa Blanca

Comments

Playa Blanca Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Playa Blanca off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Playa Blanca sightseeing.