Facing the Casa de la Conchas one finds the Clerecia another highlight of architecture in Salamanca. It is not surprising that Salamanca was European Capital of the Culture in 2002 when you look at this building among many others in the city.
The construction of this historic building began in the early seventeenth on the orders of Queen Margaret of Austria, wife of Philip III, under the direction of Juan Gómez de Mora.
It was a college of the ecclesiastical order of the Society of Jesus.
The Clerecía of Salamanca is in Baroque style and was formerly known as the Colegio Real de la Compañía de Jesús. It has a part open to the public with the church and the schools where the Jesuits gave lectures and a private part, where the monks lived. The church has a huge baroque cloister on three levels. This monument is now the headquarters of the Pontifical University.
The monumental Jesuit church is richly decorated and towers over the old town. It's official name is Real Colegio de la Compañia de Jesus del Espiritu Santo, and serves as the seat of the Catholic seminary, Universidad Pontifica. It was founded in 1611 by Felipe III and was designed by Juan Gomez de Mora.
The Church seen in this photo is part of the Jesuit University and was begun in 1617 by Juan Gomez de la Mora. The towers were completed later by Quinones, the same guy that did the Town Hall in Plaza Mayor. If you look at the lower section of the facade, it is pretty basic architecturally so the more flamboyant towers by Quinones somewhat distort the originally intended appearance of the structure.
Inside there is a large Baroque cloister and there is also a great altarpiece of note.
This building is considered as one of the best examples of Spanish baroque. The towers of the façade and inside the cloister are the best baroque elements of this building. It was built between 1611 and 1755.
Right across Casa de las Conchas is situated the Clerecia. Clerecia is a 17th century church built by Juan Gómez de la Mora. It was ordered by D. Margarita de Austria in order to “repair” an offense made to Santo Inácio de Loyola. Nowadays this church is part of Salamanca’s University.