Salamanca Tourist Traps

• Tourist Traps
    by DanielF
  • Ha ha!  They didn't see me take the picture!
    Ha ha! They didn't see me take the...
    by fairy_dust
  • Tourist Traps
    by Carmela71

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Salamanca

• Birsen's Profile Photo

Be aware when calling overseas!!

by Birsen Updated May 26, 2008

Spanish phones are very, very expensive when calling overseas. After spending in phone booths a lot of Euros, i learnt my lesson!

Fun Alternatives: A friend gave me a number that he uses and he gets much cheaper rates.

I call through this number which is 902 99 53 01, from any land line or phone booth, and all i pay is just 4 cents a minute at nights and weekends, or 6 cents at daytime. It is also so easy to use, i have been using it for 4 months now. highly recommended!!!

I've used it to call the US, UK, France, Italy and some other places where i have friends. I think they have more than 60 countries, so chances are yours will be listed.

When you dial the number,902 99 53 01, and then get the operator, just press 1, and 00 plus your country code and your friends number. Believe is worth it! I think you can use it form a mobile phone also with rates around 20 cents a minute or something like that.

if you want details or list of countries the page is www.iCallCheap.com in English and www.TelefonoBarato.com in Spanish. just check it out, you'll thank me :)

Typical Spanish phone booth...be aware!
    • Work Abroad

Buying from street vendors

by fairy_dust Updated Jul 23, 2004

If you buy something from a street vendor, the object you buy might not be very good quality. I never had any problems, but one girl in my group bought a pair of sunglasses from a street vendor, and they broke a few days later.

Unique Suggestions: If you're buying something that has the potential to break (sunglasses, jewelry, other accessories and nick-nacks), treat it with care. Also, if you can haggle the price with the vendor before buying it, do it. That way, even if the object breaks, you won't have paid a huge amount of money for it.

Fun Alternatives: Buy things at a store instead of from a vendor.

Linda at a fountain close to vendor stands

The closer to the Plaza Mayor, the more expensive

by fairy_dust Updated Jan 26, 2004

Since the Plaza Mayor is the middle of town and the most crowded (with both locals and tourists), the stores and restaurants have more expensive prices there.

At the cafe where my favorite tuna played (right in the Plaza Mayor), an average-sized water bottle cost 2.5 Euros, while the corner stores further away from the Plaza Mayor sold big water bottles for 1 Euro or less.

On my last night in Salamanca, I bought beer for the tuna, from that same cafe, to thank them for the serenade, and it ended up costing 18 Euros (7 or 8 glasses of beer). Too expensive if you ask me...

Unique Suggestions: If you want a drink at a cafe in the Plaza Mayor, order sangria (red wine with fruit slices in it) instead of water. It's only 25 cents more, and in my opinion it's usually better than water anyway.

If you want to shop for clothes, you can usually get cheaper prices at the stores further away from the Plaza Mayor, especially during the summer sales.

Fun Alternatives: Buy your water at a cornerstore, or from a vending machine.

Who says you can't study & drink at the same time?
    • School Holidays

Street performers

by fairy_dust Written Jan 25, 2004

Sometimes, street performers will make you give them money if you take a picture of them. It happened to a few people in my group. We saw two performers dressed like Egyptian Pharaohs standing on pillars, making like statues. They didn't see me taking a picture of them, but others complained that the performers made them give money.

Unique Suggestions: Expect them to make you give them money. Have a few coins to spare.

Fun Alternatives: Don't take a picture.

Ha ha!  They didn't see me take the picture!

Restaurant seating

by fairy_dust Written Jan 24, 2004

At most cafes and tapa bars, they charge you more money if you sit at the tables outside. Usually, the menu will show you the prices whether you sit at the bar (cheapest), at a table inside the cafe, or at a table outside (most expensive).

Unique Suggestions: If you must sit outside, be aware of the fact that you'll be charged a little more than if you sit inside.

Fun Alternatives: Sit at the bar or at a table inside!

Our prof (third from right) talks to us at a cafe
    • School Holidays

Excomunion

by Carmela71 Updated Jun 18, 2003

Hay excomunion reservada a su santidad contra cualquieran personas que quitaren, distraxeren, o de cualquier otro modo enagenaren algun libro o pergamino o papel de esta biblioteca sin que pudieran ser absueltas hasta que pueda ser perfectamente re integrada.

• DanielF's Profile Photo

Salamanca does not have one...

by DanielF Written Aug 26, 2002

Salamanca does not have one singe cathedral but it has two !! And they are both different and very beautiful. When the people in the late Middle Ages decided that the old cathedral was too small, they didn't demolish it, for it was so beautiful, but instead they built the new cathedral just beside it. The old cathedral is mainly Romanesque and its simplicity is full of beauty and spirituality. The new cathedral is a mix of many styles: from late Gothic to Barroque and it offers so many works of art, you could stay there for a whole day.

• davidcross's Profile Photo

In self-defence I willl say...

by davidcross Written Aug 26, 2002

In self-defence I willl say that I have only ever used those tourist-mobiles which are supposed to resemble trains since heart problems reduced my walking capacity. I will also say that I found those at Avila and Toledo very good value. BUT the one at Salamanca - enough said.
    I am not sufficient of a masochist to have taken a photo so here is some detail from the top of the cathedral entrance.

• We were all quite tired,...

by SusanneBeck Updated Aug 25, 2002

We were all quite tired, especially as we’d all been up since 5am, but we really wanted to see the caves. We found “Cuevas de Salamanca” on the map and headed that way but when we got there, we couldn’t find them anywhere. Not so sure if this a tourist trap but thought I’d tell you about it. We walked around for ages searching for the caves. There were no signs and after reading 2 guide books over and over again, we worked out we must be standing right on top of them! We still couldn’t find an entrance or anything though. Maybe they’re closed at certain times of the year. I really don’t know.

Two things to check

by Carmela71 Updated Jun 18, 2003

Two things to check the frog at the cathedral and the austronat at the school!

Unique Suggestions: See my local tips to know more

astronaut

Special ticket

With this ticket that costs 3 euros, you can visit:
    filmoteca de Castilla Leon
    Colegio Fonseca
    Museo cassa Lis
    Escuelas Mayores (university) and Escuelas Menores (just in front)...

Ticket

Instant Answers: Salamanca

Comments

Salamanca Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Salamanca tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Salamanca sightseeing.