Segovia Restaurants

La Criolla
    by alectrevor
    San Luis hamburgers
    by DSwede
    A delicious meal in Segovia!
    by Jefie

Most Recent Restaurants in Segovia

• Blue_Boris's Profile Photo

Restaurante Julian Duque: Not just bad service: ANTI TOURIST service!

by Blue_Boris Written Sep 22, 2013

The food was adequate but not remarkable. Perhaps a little too salty.

We had the following anti-tourist incident there: We went into this restaurant and ordered a starter, some drinks, and 2 entrees. The drinks came but the starter did not. After a reasonable amount of time the entrees came. About 10 minutes after we finished the entrees I started the process of getting the check. Half hour later I still did not have the check but they had come by and offered us desert and we had declined. I asked the waiter again for the check and he hurried off. Then they brought the starter. I tried to explain that I was OK paying for it but I did not want it anymore because it was too late and we were both feeling full. (I was not really OK with it but I thought maybe I misunderstood the menu or something and maybe it was traditional to serve hot lamb sweetbreads 45 minutes after the main meal – yea, right.) The waiter spoke no English and immediately got defensive, standing up straight and looking right and left at patrons around us and speaking very loud, just under a shout and waving his hands in an intense manner. I understand just enough Spanish to recognize that he was saying that I had ordered the starter and that I would have to pay for it whether I ate it or not; and that he wanted everyone in the place to know it. He kept repeating this, eyes wide and head vibrating, with staccato hand gestures, a Spanish parody of Maori haka, until I started "barking". I just started quietly smiling at him and saying, “woof, woof, woof, woof, woof, woof, woof” until he shut up and looked at me. Then I just said, “La cuenta” (the bill). He stalked off and got it and I paid it and we left.

Favorite Dish: We went there once and had the above unfortunate experience. The food I did eat there was not remarkable and I will not be going back, so I don't have a favorite.

• solopes's Profile Photo

Jose Maria: Food and Ambiance

by solopes Updated Sep 7, 2012

Cathedral - Segovia - Spain

You will surely see the local performance of cutting the suckling pig only by hitting it with the edge of a dish. We saw it at Jose Maria, where we were taken for the first time by local politicians (experts, I presume). A delicious meal, repeated several times, without local company.

I went to Segovia for the first time in 2002, and after that I've been there at least once a year.

Jose Maria became my natural restaurant. And its location, a few meters from the cathedral turns the way to and from the restaurant into a very pleasant walk.

Favorite Dish: Matanza, judiones, cochinillo

• Wine Tasting

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Restaurante Ago: Desserts, crepes, etc.

by DSwede Updated May 10, 2011

This restaurant is also a bit of a delicatessen. Its has some typical menu items and basics like sandwiches. But it also has some savory crepes, as well as some sweet ones and waffles too.

The main bar and serving area is downstairs, but there is an upper level of seating area which is a bit more quiet. Prices will be slightly inflated due to the trendy location, but it is a nice place to get a drink or a sweet snack.

Favorite Dish: The crepes were good, with options like the oblix, chocolate y nata, lemon, etc. Down in the lower level, there is also a display case with other tarts, cakes and sweet things.

• DSwede's Profile Photo

San Luis Hamburgueseria: Large and tasty

by DSwede Written May 5, 2011
    San Luis hamburgers

Having walked up and down the many hills, our appetite were definitely growing. Having visited before, my unofficial guide knew this little hamburger joint and was quite willing to show me. Sometimes, a bit of home is a welcomed change.

The menus are quite simple to understand and you ingredients are clearly listed. Additional ingredients can be added for ~0.5Eur/each. Order and pay at the bar, but your food will find its way to the table. The service is not that great, but then again, you're not paying for great service.

Favorite Dish: The restaurant has some sandwiches and other things like hot dogs or combination plates. But their namesake it the reason to come.

The hamburger patties are not that large, but they are tender enough. Layer the burger with the typical lettuce, tomato, onion, sauces, fried egg, bacon... you get the idea.

• El Bernardino: Overpriced for the service and the quality

by rcvogensen Updated Apr 4, 2011

El Bernardino is located on the left hand side of the main street leading to the Plaza Mayor, Calle Cervantes, which becomes Calle Juan Bravo. There is a famous viewpoint next to the restaurant. The outside appearance is impressive but don't let appearances fool you. The restaurant specializes, like most of the Segovian restaurants, in roast suckling pig and grilled lamb. Although the price is slightly lower than more famous spots like El Duque, just a few doors down the street, or Cándido, near the Aqueduct, the quality and service are debatable.

We started out badly when the waiters ignored us, not even looking in our direction. Eventually a nice young man stopped and asked if we had ordered, excusing himself for thinking that we had already ordered, even though we had the menus in our hand. My wife ordered the more expensive menu for 24 euros, called a menu de degustación, or connoisseur's menu. It consisted of white beans (favas) as a first course and suckling pig as the second course. I ordered gazpacho and trout for 15 euros. The favas were passable but the suckling pig was a smallish slab of fat thrown on the plate with no attempt to make it look halfway attractive, no red pepper or slice of lettuce, or a few fried potatoes. Nothing. My gazpacho came in tiny cup and the waiter promised to bring the accompanyment--the chopped tomatoes, green onions and yellow onions. I had almost finished when they arrived, once again the waiter thinking that they had already brought them to me. The trout was edible, certainly nothing special. Then came dessert. For the gourmet menu my wife got a scoop of vanilla icecream and a rather standard cakelike preparation. Mine, for the price of the menu, was better quality, as I at least got flan.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the water.

• Parador La granja: Parador La Granja

by angela_7 Written Oct 12, 2010

Lovely place, awful food, cold, tinned and quite simply badly seasoned. For the price they charge go somewhere else. This is a general phenomenon in all Paradores in Spain, someone has obviously said save money, or make more money so they have started with their restaurantes, it is a pity because beforehand it was a treat to eat in a parador, now it is substandard, a waste of money, and more importantly a waste of time.

• Luxury Travel
    • Business Travel

• Jose Maria: Treated reallly badly

by angela_7 Updated Oct 12, 2010

Well, I don't know about anybody else but I don't like complaining but when I do it is usually because I can't eat something, and in this case it was fish that was completley burnt, I complained, they looked at me and continued about their business, of course I was a 'guiri' and only there for a few days so they didn't care one bit. I didn't say anything else, I don't make a fuss but I do not forget so here I am not recommending this restaurant, it treats people really badly, charges a lot, and has food of substandard. This is my opinion online as my opinion to the waiters and owner didn't matter one bit.

• Festivals

• candido: not for the faint hearted

by angela_7 Written Oct 12, 2010

Had a 'romantic meal' here. The setting is wonderful but the food is very standard and the prices are not. I asked for dessert the 'fruta del tiempo' and I got a bruised banana and apple!!! Pleeeaseee, at these prices.......

• Restaurante Bar San Martin: Away from the Plaza Mayor on weekdays

by jayrule Written Jul 8, 2010

The Plaza Mayor at Segovia has a great market (I was there on a Thursday), but the resturaunts were expensive for a day trip to Segovia. After visiting San Martin church, I ate at the Resturaunt Bar San Martin. For thirteen euros you get a three course meal and wine or bottled water that was very delicious. A bonus is the small square with church, statue, and people watching outside.

Favorite Dish: The meat medallions in wine sauce was great.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Amado: Eating in the shadow of the Aqueduct

by Jefie Updated Aug 10, 2008

A delicious meal in Segovia!

As we were walking up the main avenue that leads to the Aqueduct, we caught a whiff of the delicious aromas that were emanating from Casa Amado, a tiny little restaurant located just a few feet away from Segovia's most famous monument. We decided to sit at a table on the sunny sidewalk patio and order a light lunch while soaking up the atmosphere. I ordered a dish of ham and artichokes (alcachofas salteadas con jamon), and although it might not sound like anything special, it actually was one of the best meals I've had at a restaurant in Spain - so full of flavour, and it also went remarkably well with the light rose wine I ordered :o) The staff was friendly and efficient, and the hour we spent chatting and people-watching is one of my favourite memories from my day in Segovia!

• Jefie's Profile Photo

El Desvan: Segovia's best patio

by Jefie Written Aug 10, 2008

At El Desvan, in Segovia

As far as food goes, El Desvan offers your typical selection of tapas and local dishes, along with a nice selection of beer and wine. But the best thing about El Desvan - and probably the main reason why so many people stop by - is its amazing location! Sitting just within the ancient walls of the city, the restaurant's patio offers a wonderful view of the city down below. I'm telling you, those sunny tables are impossible to resist! Service was also really nice, and even if the place was quite busy we were made to feel as if we could take all the time we wanted to sip our drinks and enjoy the view. It was a wonderful way to wrap up our day in Segovia!

Café La Colonial Plaza: for coffee, chocolates and beers

by mindcrime Updated Jun 26, 2008

cafe at Colonial square

There are 2 colonial café, one in the main street and one next to the Corpus Christi church. We tried the second one, the first time during the day sitting at one of the tables outside in the streets and the second time during the night for beers inside when it was packed with local socializing each other. The stuff was helpful, the only bad thing was that we didn’t find anything to eat there.

You can drink tea (2e), tea with fruits or green tea (2,30e), coffee(1.60e), cappuccino(2.20e), irish coffee(4.20e), mineral water(1.70e), fresh orange juice(2.40e), beer (1.80e)

The funny moment of the night was a drunk local man that came in speaking strange and almost all the customers left the place in 2 minutes! :)

Meson de Candido: the popular Candido

restaurant Condido

Mesón de Cándido is the most famous restaurant in Segovia. Of course, the basic reason is that it is located in a privileged location just next to the aqueduct. Some locals suggested it because it has special cochinillo(roasted suckling pork) but as I wrote in other tip you can find it in other restaurants too and probably in better prices. The basic problem with Candido is that is always packed with tourists and the tables are very very close to each other.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

Turkish kebap: speaking turkish in spain!

a doner kebap

After the football match of Turkey against Czech Republic that Turkey won 3-2 I though it’s a great idea to taste some turkish kebap and this place looked nice enough with it’s simple decoration.

The funny moment is that I ordered in Turkish (I know some words) so the stuff were very friendly with us but they forgot to bring my girlfriend’s dish so I had to ask again in English! lol

Favorite Dish: While we were listening to some boring Turkish music we tried a doner kebap (3euro), a kebap in a plate with french fries (7e), two cokes (1,5euro) and a desert (1euro). For something quick and cheap I think it’s good.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

Cerveceria Baviera: time for breakfast!

Cerveceria Baviera

We stopped here on Monday morning to have our last coffee before our return to Madrid after a great weekend in Segovia.

The owener was very friendly and although he didn’t have chocolate we have a nice breakfast. Any coffee and a toasted sandwich costs 2euro so many people came into for their breakfast before go to work.

Instant Answers: Segovia

Comments

Segovia Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Segovia restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Segovia sightseeing.