Segovia Restaurants

La Criolla
    by alectrevor
    San Luis hamburgers
    by DSwede
    A delicious meal in Segovia!
    by Jefie

Most Recent Restaurants in Segovia

cafe San Martin: coffee and breakfast

by mindcrime Written Jun 21, 2008

cafe San Martin

I really enjoyed drinking my coffee at this café during the morning, probably because of the relaxing atmosphere and there were only a few customers. One coffee and a tasty sweet costed me only 2euros but you can also have some other things like toasted sandwiches for 1,5-2,5e, sandwiches for 3e, hamburgers for 5e. and a variety of tapas for 6-8euros

EL DESVAN CAFÉ: great view, good prices

by mindcrime Written Jun 21, 2008

beers and potatoes at DESVAN cafe

Oh, this was a nice one on the way up to plaza mayor, the location is perfect with a nice view over the city if you choose a table outside and relax for a while before continue you walk or on your return from plaza mayor when you want to rest...

What's more, the prices are very good. There was also a tv screen because some people wanted to watch the Euro 2008 in Austria.

Favorite Dish: Some of the things we tried were:
    Cold beer(2e), potatoes (3,5e), salad (4,5e)
    But you can also find: sandwiches (3.40-5e), hamburgers (3.50-4e), bokadillos (3.50-5e)

MESON DON JIMENO: nice enough

by mindcrime Written Jun 20, 2008

Meson Don Jimeno

I tried this restaurant as we were going down to Alcazar and we though it’s better to stop, have our lunch here and then continue to the castle in the afternoon. The place was nice enough full of locals and the service good but not so quick. I also think the portions wasn’t so big.

For first plate you can try exquisite pate de cochinillo con pan tostado(6e), croquetas caseras de jamon(6e), tortilla Espanola(de patata)(7,30e I liked it a lot) etc

For salads there were only two choices one for 10euros and one mixed salad for 5,40e which I found good enough

For soup you have many choices like sopa castellana (4,50e nice for me!), sopa de pescado(fish 5,60e), sopa de verdures(vegetables 4,90e) etc

There are some fishes that I really couldn’t understand in Spanish and the prices were from 13 to 16 euros.

For meat/beef you have many choices from 8,5 to 18euros but I wanted to try the famous Segovia’s plate of cochinillo (roasted suckling pig). There are two versions, one for one person (15,10e) one for two or theree (31,40e).

You can find cochinillo in many Segovia’s restaurants because it's the popular local dish and usually the price of the plate is from 15 to 25euros. It was good here but nothing special.

There are also some sweets (at about 5euros) and of course drinks to wash down the food like soft drinks, fresh juices (2,15e), beers(2e), wine etc

• RudoElCojonudo's Profile Photo

ROASTED PORKIE AND ROASTED LAMB

by RudoElCojonudo Written Feb 21, 2008
    Roasted porkie

If you visit Segovia you can't miss his roasted delices. The city is full of restaurants which prepare roasted porkie and lamb in wood ovens. The price is variable, depends on the quality and location of the restaurant.
    A full porkie, enough for 4-5 people costs about 45€. The skin is crusty, while the meat is incredibly soft. The local custom rules that the porki is splited by the waiter with a dish.
    If you are musulman or you are not very keen on pork the roasted lamb is also superb.
    There is a good restaurant with quite good prices in Infanta Isabel street, close to main square, just in front of San Miguel Hotel.

Favorite Dish: Roasted porkie of course!!!

• barbskie's Profile Photo

El Bernardino: Local resto

by barbskie Updated Jan 17, 2008

Centrally located resto famous to its Segovianish speciality. Was referred by Jose, no wonder when it is one of his fav restaurant. It has a beautiful and cozy ambiance with friendly service personals . Inspire from what the locals say........

Favorite Dish: Honestly, i'm not fond of meats like Cordero or Cochinillo but hurrah! i ordered Cochinillo (with referrals) .........mind you i ate it out! Hmmm, yummy! Don't forget to try their fine traditional desserts too.

• gypsysoul73's Profile Photo

Meson de Candido: For the Cochinillo

by gypsysoul73 Written Oct 16, 2007

Meson de Candido is to the right of the aqueduct

You can't miss it, it's right by the Aqueduct and it is THE place to go for cochinillo (roast suckling pig), as confirmed by the hundreds of pictures of famous people who have visited hanging on the walls. You must order the cochinillo, which is unbelievably tender, so tender you can cut it with a plate, and you will.

Favorite Dish: the cochinillo!

• Redang's Profile Photo

Receta del Ponche Segoviano: Ponche Segoviano Recipe

by Redang Updated May 6, 2007

Ponch Segoviano (Segovia, Spain)

Ponche Segoviano is the speciality of the Paterlería El Alcázar and I give you the links in case you want to know what it is made of, but keep in mind that it is a registered product, so that, don't try to cook it on your own.

In case you are interseted in it, go to Shopping Tips to find out the name of the place where they sell it.

Internet:
    - www.spain.info/TourSpain/Gastronomia/Productos%20y%20Recetas/Recetas/H/0/Ponche%20segoviano?Language=ES (Spanish, but just look for your own language).

• Redang's Profile Photo

Mesón de Cándido: Mesón de Cándido

by Redang Updated May 5, 2007

Mes��n de C��ndido

I don't mean this is the best restaurant in Segovia and I don't mean this is not the best one either, but it is the most famous.

Favorite Dish: Cochinillo.

To know more about it, go to the special tip dedicated to Cochinillo Segoviano in this Restaurants section.

• el_ruso's Profile Photo

Local Restaurants Are Expensive!!!

by el_ruso Written Apr 22, 2007

Judging by the menus, local restaurants are at least 1.5-2 times more expensive on average than Madrid. "Menu del Dia" for example runs about E20 or even higher, whereas in most Madrid places it is about E10-12. I did stop at a bakery on Ave Fernandez and had some really good cookies. If you are thirsty when you arrive, up the second street from the Aqueduct off Plaza de Azoguejo there is a meat store (carniceria) with a red awning. Inside you can buy a drink for E1 instead of paying two or three times more in a cafe.

The annoying Spanish opening hours do apply - between 3 and 7 (or even 8) you can only get coffee and cookies if you are lucky enough to find a place open.

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

Cochinillo experience: Duque

by Nathalie_B Written Apr 13, 2007

Seafood soup

Exploring Segovia I wanted to see and taste it all, this is how I found myself in front of Duque, an upscale restaurant that among other delicious dishes serves Cochinillo de Segovia.
    During the lunch time only prefixed menu was served. Three course meal that was quite good, but isn't really worth the price.
    My starter was a seafood soup, followed by the main dish - suckling pig, and dessert - Brazo Gitano. My friends had some veggi dishes in which I wasn't really interested. I was in Segovia after all, and meat was definitely on my menu. One more thing to mention about the food, it is served without side dishes. If you order fish this is all you gonna get on your plate! Forget about mashed potatos or rice.

The restaurant's decorations are a real kitsch. Last time I saw dining rooms like this was in Versaille palace, or so. The service was quick, but without a single smile on waitress' face. She was so busy serving the dishes that she simply forgot to add some happiness to it.

As in most of the restaurants the staff didn't speak a word of English. I wouldn't complain about this fact if this wasn't one of the most touristy restaurants in town. Luckily I had VT member Urzu with me to act as a professional translator.

Bottom line, I did enjoy the lunch being satisfied with the local dishes. However, the more experienced, Urzu and her Mom said that they have had better food in their lives.
    It was bit pricey too, but I didn't expect it to be cheap given the restaurant's location and the dishes we have ordered.
    Nice expreience on a one-day trip to Segovia.

• El Bernardino: Very posh looking, but not all that

by djferros Written Dec 27, 2006

This restaurant looked really nice from the outside, it also looked expensive but i don't mind paying a bit extra for a clean place with good food.

Good place for local food.

Favorite Dish: I ordered a piglet dish (Cochinillo) and i really quite enjoyed it.

The staff were really friendly and at service to us all the time.

My girl friend however ordered fish and she ended up sending it back to be re-cooked, but he apologised and obliged without argument and so we were happy.

Another problem we first noticed was flies (this could have just been us) but we seemed to have a little swarm of these little flies buzzing around our food, luckily as the night went on they seemed to disappear.

• Business Travel
    • Seniors

• nomad7890's Profile Photo

Restaurant Duque Asador de Segovia: Segovia's oldest meson

by nomad7890 Written Oct 7, 2005

Inside the Meson Duque Maestro Asador de Segovia

This restaurant certainly rounded up our Segovia experience. It had been highly recommended by a colleague from Madrid, along with its specialty the "cochinillo" - this is a roasted baby pig. This is not the place for vegetarians - my son was becoming a vegetarian and gave us quite a bit of grief. The food was excellent. I do have mixed emotions on the cochinillo. It is extremely tender - but when it is in your plate it is more like having a larger chicken. Guess I'm not used to having such a small piglet in my plate. It was very tasty - but the experience was odd - it was a piglet! (there is a picture in the website below). The service was outstanding, the wine, food, and dessert superb. Beautiful inside with many carved archways and intricate chandeliers. As we were dining some minstrels came in. Sometimes these people can be annoying, but the ones that came in were excellent, and sang some very old Spanish songs I used to hear when I was very small. Very emotional experience. When we left the owner gave me a small clay jar with the restaurant's name.

Make sure to make reservations!

• Birsen's Profile Photo

Candido: Suckling Pig

by Birsen Updated Apr 28, 2005
    Restaurant  next to aquadect

Segovia is a land of roasts. It is common in the whole of Castile-Leon, but in Segovia they are something beyond the norm. There, it is terribly hard to decide whether to have the roast suckling pig or the roast suckling lamb, since both of these oven specialties are the most delicious things that the excellent local restaurants offer. The suckling pig is the king of the Segovian roasts, but it is not the only one.

• easyoar's Profile Photo

Duque: A portion of suckling pig

by easyoar Written Apr 4, 2005

A whole leg of pig

If you order a portion of suckling pig, you really will get a lump of pig on your plate.

f you don't like seeing where the food came from, this may be unappealing to you! As you can see here I got a whole leg including trotter (foot) to do with what I wanted (pigs trotters are actually surprisingly good although I did not eat this one). I did eat part of an ear though that was too crispy (like crackling) for my liking. Suckling pig is excellent though, it should not be missed if you are a meat eater who eats pork.

Favorite Dish: The suckling pig!

• Castles and Palaces

• easyoar's Profile Photo

Don Jimeno: Quieter and cheaper, but just as good

by easyoar Written Apr 3, 2005

Restaurant Don Jimeno

On one visit to Segovia, the main restaurants were all full, had run out of suckling pig or had finished serving for the afternoon (we were running a bit late!).

We found this restaurant very near to the Alcazar, and were so desperate we gave it a try. It turned out to be an excellent find. It was cheaper than the other restaurants, much more homely, and the food was excellent.

Other than eating suckling pig, I don't remember exactly what else we ate, but I do remember it was good!

Favorite Dish: The suckling pig.

• Castles and Palaces
    • Architecture

Instant Answers: Segovia

Comments

Segovia Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Segovia restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Segovia sightseeing.