Segovia Restaurants

La Criolla
    by alectrevor
    San Luis hamburgers
    by DSwede
    A delicious meal in Segovia!
    by Jefie

Best Rated Restaurants in Segovia

Don Jimeno: Quieter and cheaper, but just as good

by easyoar Written Apr 3, 2005

Restaurant Don Jimeno

On one visit to Segovia, the main restaurants were all full, had run out of suckling pig or had finished serving for the afternoon (we were running a bit late!).

We found this restaurant very near to the Alcazar, and were so desperate we gave it a try. It turned out to be an excellent find. It was cheaper than the other restaurants, much more homely, and the food was excellent.

Other than eating suckling pig, I don't remember exactly what else we ate, but I do remember it was good!

Favorite Dish: The suckling pig.

Duque: Suckling Pig

by easyoar Written Apr 2, 2005

Cooked Suckling Pig

Obviously vegetarians won't be wanting to eat Suckling Pig, but I can imagine that there are some meat eaters who will not want to eat it either due to the young age of the animal.

Whilst I do not really approve of the killing of such a young animal to eat, now I know what it tastes like I can understand why it is so popular.

This picture shows what may arrive at your table should you order suckling pig for around 4 people.

• easyoar's Profile Photo

Duque: A portion of suckling pig

by easyoar Written Apr 4, 2005

A whole leg of pig

If you order a portion of suckling pig, you really will get a lump of pig on your plate.

f you don't like seeing where the food came from, this may be unappealing to you! As you can see here I got a whole leg including trotter (foot) to do with what I wanted (pigs trotters are actually surprisingly good although I did not eat this one). I did eat part of an ear though that was too crispy (like crackling) for my liking. Suckling pig is excellent though, it should not be missed if you are a meat eater who eats pork.

Favorite Dish: The suckling pig!

• easyoar's Profile Photo

Duque: Alway has excellent food, but not cheap either

by easyoar Written Apr 2, 2005

Duque in Segovia

The food in Duque has always been excellent when I have eaten there (several times over the years). It doesn't tend to get as crowded as Candido and is easier to get a table.

This restaurant seems to have been patronized by King Juan Carlos and his family several times and you can find numerous autographed cards over the walls.

Favorite Dish: My top tips are the Morcilla and the Suckling Pig. Morcilla is more commonly known as Black Pudding in English and is made from pigs blood, but don't let that worry you as it tastes great.

• easyoar's Profile Photo

Candido: Great ambience and excellent views

by easyoar Updated Apr 2, 2005

Candido's restaurant in Segovia

The speciality food that Segovia is famous for throughout Spain is suckling pig. Candido restaurant is overpriced, but it has 'the' best location in the whole of Segovia being right next to the aquaduct. The food used to be good, but the last time I went it was very disappointing.

It's hard to estimate prices these days as Spain seems to have undergone massive inflation since the Euro came in, but cheap it ain't. You can expect to be paying over 20 Euros for a portion of suckling pig.

When Segovia is busy, Candido can be quite hard to get into anyway, my advice is walk up the hill to Duque or go even further towards the Alcazar and find a quieter restaurant.

Favorite Dish: It has to be suckling pig... Assuming they are concentrating on quality rather than getting as many tourists through the doors.

• micas_pt's Profile Photo

Limón e Menta: Delicious pastry

by micas_pt Written Mar 31, 2004

On such a chilly day and after going up all those steps on the Castle’s Tower we were just needing a hot drink. We stopped at Plaza Mayor, before entering the Cathedral, and enjoyed a quick snack at Limon and Menta. This place has fantastic pastry – both tasty and with excellent presentation. It is situated in one of the corners of Plaza Mayor and it is mainly conceived to take way pastries, chocolates and candies. It has only 2 or 3 tables and I must confess that if the cake and hot chocolate weren’t so delicious I would be complaining about their lousy service right now.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Amado: Eating in the shadow of the Aqueduct

by Jefie Updated Aug 10, 2008

A delicious meal in Segovia!

As we were walking up the main avenue that leads to the Aqueduct, we caught a whiff of the delicious aromas that were emanating from Casa Amado, a tiny little restaurant located just a few feet away from Segovia's most famous monument. We decided to sit at a table on the sunny sidewalk patio and order a light lunch while soaking up the atmosphere. I ordered a dish of ham and artichokes (alcachofas salteadas con jamon), and although it might not sound like anything special, it actually was one of the best meals I've had at a restaurant in Spain - so full of flavour, and it also went remarkably well with the light rose wine I ordered :o) The staff was friendly and efficient, and the hour we spent chatting and people-watching is one of my favourite memories from my day in Segovia!

• MarvintheMartian's Profile Photo

El Desvan (?): Quick snack before going home!

by MarvintheMartian Written Apr 23, 2004

Right next to the Aqueduct!

I wasn't looking for more than a quick snack before heading back on the bus to the train station.

I headed in here not knowing what I'd find and to my delight it was a bar with a few tables for people to eat food.

I tried the fried chorizo which was very authenic and quite satisfying!

• Jefie's Profile Photo

El Desvan: Segovia's best patio

by Jefie Written Aug 10, 2008

At El Desvan, in Segovia

As far as food goes, El Desvan offers your typical selection of tapas and local dishes, along with a nice selection of beer and wine. But the best thing about El Desvan - and probably the main reason why so many people stop by - is its amazing location! Sitting just within the ancient walls of the city, the restaurant's patio offers a wonderful view of the city down below. I'm telling you, those sunny tables are impossible to resist! Service was also really nice, and even if the place was quite busy we were made to feel as if we could take all the time we wanted to sip our drinks and enjoy the view. It was a wonderful way to wrap up our day in Segovia!

MESON DON JIMENO: nice enough

by mindcrime Written Jun 20, 2008

Meson Don Jimeno

I tried this restaurant as we were going down to Alcazar and we though it’s better to stop, have our lunch here and then continue to the castle in the afternoon. The place was nice enough full of locals and the service good but not so quick. I also think the portions wasn’t so big.

For first plate you can try exquisite pate de cochinillo con pan tostado(6e), croquetas caseras de jamon(6e), tortilla Espanola(de patata)(7,30e I liked it a lot) etc

For salads there were only two choices one for 10euros and one mixed salad for 5,40e which I found good enough

For soup you have many choices like sopa castellana (4,50e nice for me!), sopa de pescado(fish 5,60e), sopa de verdures(vegetables 4,90e) etc

There are some fishes that I really couldn’t understand in Spanish and the prices were from 13 to 16 euros.

For meat/beef you have many choices from 8,5 to 18euros but I wanted to try the famous Segovia’s plate of cochinillo (roasted suckling pig). There are two versions, one for one person (15,10e) one for two or theree (31,40e).

You can find cochinillo in many Segovia’s restaurants because it's the popular local dish and usually the price of the plate is from 15 to 25euros. It was good here but nothing special.

There are also some sweets (at about 5euros) and of course drinks to wash down the food like soft drinks, fresh juices (2,15e), beers(2e), wine etc

Meson de Candido: the popular Candido

restaurant Condido

Mesón de Cándido is the most famous restaurant in Segovia. Of course, the basic reason is that it is located in a privileged location just next to the aqueduct. Some locals suggested it because it has special cochinillo(roasted suckling pork) but as I wrote in other tip you can find it in other restaurants too and probably in better prices. The basic problem with Candido is that is always packed with tourists and the tables are very very close to each other.

EL DESVAN CAFÉ: great view, good prices

by mindcrime Written Jun 21, 2008

beers and potatoes at DESVAN cafe

Oh, this was a nice one on the way up to plaza mayor, the location is perfect with a nice view over the city if you choose a table outside and relax for a while before continue you walk or on your return from plaza mayor when you want to rest...

What's more, the prices are very good. There was also a tv screen because some people wanted to watch the Euro 2008 in Austria.

Favorite Dish: Some of the things we tried were:
    Cold beer(2e), potatoes (3,5e), salad (4,5e)
    But you can also find: sandwiches (3.40-5e), hamburgers (3.50-4e), bokadillos (3.50-5e)

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

Turkish kebap: speaking turkish in spain!

a doner kebap

After the football match of Turkey against Czech Republic that Turkey won 3-2 I though it’s a great idea to taste some turkish kebap and this place looked nice enough with it’s simple decoration.

The funny moment is that I ordered in Turkish (I know some words) so the stuff were very friendly with us but they forgot to bring my girlfriend’s dish so I had to ask again in English! lol

Favorite Dish: While we were listening to some boring Turkish music we tried a doner kebap (3euro), a kebap in a plate with french fries (7e), two cokes (1,5euro) and a desert (1euro). For something quick and cheap I think it’s good.

• virtualpatrick's Profile Photo

Meson de Candido: For some roast suckling pig

by virtualpatrick Updated Feb 25, 2004

Although we did not go to any restaurants on the trip to Segovia, I heard Meson de Candido is one of the top restaurants in the area and a place were you can get roast suckling pig.

And the location can't be beat - underneath the aqueduct - que romantico.

Café La Colonial Plaza: for coffee, chocolates and beers

by mindcrime Updated Jun 26, 2008

cafe at Colonial square

There are 2 colonial café, one in the main street and one next to the Corpus Christi church. We tried the second one, the first time during the day sitting at one of the tables outside in the streets and the second time during the night for beers inside when it was packed with local socializing each other. The stuff was helpful, the only bad thing was that we didn’t find anything to eat there.

You can drink tea (2e), tea with fruits or green tea (2,30e), coffee(1.60e), cappuccino(2.20e), irish coffee(4.20e), mineral water(1.70e), fresh orange juice(2.40e), beer (1.80e)

The funny moment of the night was a drunk local man that came in speaking strange and almost all the customers left the place in 2 minutes! :)

Instant Answers: Segovia

Comments

Segovia Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Segovia restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Segovia sightseeing.