Segovia Restaurants

La Criolla
    by alectrevor
    San Luis hamburgers
    by DSwede
    A delicious meal in Segovia!
    by Jefie

Best Rated Restaurants in Segovia

• solopes's Profile Photo

Jose Maria: Food and Ambiance

by solopes Updated Oct 2, 2014

You will surely see the local performance of cutting the suckling pig only by hitting it with the edge of a dish. We saw it at Jose Maria, where we were taken for the first time by local politicians (experts, I presume). A delicious meal, repeated several times, without local company.

I went to Segovia for the first time in 2002, and after that I've been there at least once a year.

Jose Maria became my natural restaurant. And its location, a few meters from the cathedral turns the way to and from the restaurant into a very pleasant walk.

Favorite Dish: Matanza, judiones, cochinillo

Cathedral - Segovia - Spain Jose Maria - Segovia - Spain Cathedral - Segovia - Spain Segovia - Spain Cathedral - Segovia - Spain
    • Wine Tasting

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

El Invernadero Restaurant

by SirRichard Written Sep 20, 2004

We had lunch in this peaceful nice restaurant. It is located in the garden of "Las Fuentes" hotel. It used to be the greenhouse (invernadero) of the old house, now turned in a restaurant. So most of the walls are crystal and is surrounded by a beautiful garden. You can have lunch outside in the garden, is a very quiet place, ideal to go with kids.

Favorite Dish: They have a menu that is mixed with typical spanish dishes and some oriental things (samosas, curry, spring rolls...)

The entrance
    • Castles and Palaces

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

Cerveceria Baviera: time for breakfast!

by mindcrime Written Jun 21, 2008

We stopped here on Monday morning to have our last coffee before our return to Madrid after a great weekend in Segovia.

The owener was very friendly and although he didn’t have chocolate we have a nice breakfast. Any coffee and a toasted sandwich costs 2euro so many people came into for their breakfast before go to work.

Cerveceria Baviera breakfast at Cerveceria Baviera interior of Cerveceria Baviera

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

cafe San Martin: coffee and breakfast

by mindcrime Written Jun 21, 2008

I really enjoyed drinking my coffee at this café during the morning, probably because of the relaxing atmosphere and there were only a few customers. One coffee and a tasty sweet costed me only 2euros but you can also have some other things like toasted sandwiches for 1,5-2,5e, sandwiches for 3e, hamburgers for 5e. and a variety of tapas for 6-8euros

cafe San Martin coffee & sweet at cafe San Martin

• Redang's Profile Photo

Receta del Ponche Segoviano: Ponche Segoviano Recipe

by Redang Updated May 6, 2007

Ponche Segoviano is the speciality of the Paterlería El Alcázar and I give you the links in case you want to know what it is made of, but keep in mind that it is a registered product, so that, don't try to cook it on your own.

In case you are interseted in it, go to Shopping Tips to find out the name of the place where they sell it.

Internet:
    - www.spain.info/TourSpain/Gastronomia/Productos%20y%20Recetas/Recetas/H/0/Ponche%20segoviano?Language=ES (Spanish, but just look for your own language).

Ponch Segoviano (Segovia, Spain)

• barbskie's Profile Photo

El Bernardino: Local resto

by barbskie Updated Jan 17, 2008

Centrally located resto famous to its Segovianish speciality. Was referred by Jose, no wonder when it is one of his fav restaurant. It has a beautiful and cozy ambiance with friendly service personals . Inspire from what the locals say........

Favorite Dish: Honestly, i'm not fond of meats like Cordero or Cochinillo but hurrah! i ordered Cochinillo (with referrals) .........mind you i ate it out! Hmmm, yummy! Don't forget to try their fine traditional desserts too.

Cochinillo ala Segovia The locals Dessert

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

Cochinillo experience: Duque

by Nathalie_B Written Apr 13, 2007

Exploring Segovia I wanted to see and taste it all, this is how I found myself in front of Duque, an upscale restaurant that among other delicious dishes serves Cochinillo de Segovia.
    During the lunch time only prefixed menu was served. Three course meal that was quite good, but isn't really worth the price.
    My starter was a seafood soup, followed by the main dish - suckling pig, and dessert - Brazo Gitano. My friends had some veggi dishes in which I wasn't really interested. I was in Segovia after all, and meat was definitely on my menu. One more thing to mention about the food, it is served without side dishes. If you order fish this is all you gonna get on your plate! Forget about mashed potatos or rice.

The restaurant's decorations are a real kitsch. Last time I saw dining rooms like this was in Versaille palace, or so. The service was quick, but without a single smile on waitress' face. She was so busy serving the dishes that she simply forgot to add some happiness to it.

As in most of the restaurants the staff didn't speak a word of English. I wouldn't complain about this fact if this wasn't one of the most touristy restaurants in town. Luckily I had VT member Urzu with me to act as a professional translator.

Bottom line, I did enjoy the lunch being satisfied with the local dishes. However, the more experienced, Urzu and her Mom said that they have had better food in their lives.
    It was bit pricey too, but I didn't expect it to be cheap given the restaurant's location and the dishes we have ordered.
    Nice expreience on a one-day trip to Segovia.

Seafood soup Cochinillo de Segovia Brazo Gitano

• gOdOtPm's Profile Photo

La Roca: Prices are nuts, get dry fruit!

by gOdOtPm Written Dec 13, 2003

The guy in this little place is nervous and apparently hermetic to others. However, he's got most of the food that a backpacker looks for: dried fruit, chocolate, ellaborate sweets and local cheese, to name just some.

Favorite Dish: He also sells the traditional cantimpalo saussage, judiones (really big beans) and such. Although the prices are not exaggerate, of course, the most traditional, the most expensive.
    It's just a brief stop in one of the most crowded streets in Segovia: the Calle Real.

Dried fruits, judiones and Cantimpalo saussage

• Redang's Profile Photo

Mesón de Cándido: Mesón de Cándido

by Redang Updated May 5, 2007

I don't mean this is the best restaurant in Segovia and I don't mean this is not the best one either, but it is the most famous.

Favorite Dish: Cochinillo.

To know more about it, go to the special tip dedicated to Cochinillo Segoviano in this Restaurants section.

Mes��n de C��ndido

• El Bernardino: Overpriced for the service and the quality

by rcvogensen Updated Apr 4, 2011

El Bernardino is located on the left hand side of the main street leading to the Plaza Mayor, Calle Cervantes, which becomes Calle Juan Bravo. There is a famous viewpoint next to the restaurant. The outside appearance is impressive but don't let appearances fool you. The restaurant specializes, like most of the Segovian restaurants, in roast suckling pig and grilled lamb. Although the price is slightly lower than more famous spots like El Duque, just a few doors down the street, or Cándido, near the Aqueduct, the quality and service are debatable.

We started out badly when the waiters ignored us, not even looking in our direction. Eventually a nice young man stopped and asked if we had ordered, excusing himself for thinking that we had already ordered, even though we had the menus in our hand. My wife ordered the more expensive menu for 24 euros, called a menu de degustación, or connoisseur's menu. It consisted of white beans (favas) as a first course and suckling pig as the second course. I ordered gazpacho and trout for 15 euros. The favas were passable but the suckling pig was a smallish slab of fat thrown on the plate with no attempt to make it look halfway attractive, no red pepper or slice of lettuce, or a few fried potatoes. Nothing. My gazpacho came in tiny cup and the waiter promised to bring the accompanyment--the chopped tomatoes, green onions and yellow onions. I had almost finished when they arrived, once again the waiter thinking that they had already brought them to me. The trout was edible, certainly nothing special. Then came dessert. For the gourmet menu my wife got a scoop of vanilla icecream and a rather standard cakelike preparation. Mine, for the price of the menu, was better quality, as I at least got flan.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the water.

• el_ruso's Profile Photo

Local Restaurants Are Expensive!!!

by el_ruso Written Apr 22, 2007

Judging by the menus, local restaurants are at least 1.5-2 times more expensive on average than Madrid. "Menu del Dia" for example runs about E20 or even higher, whereas in most Madrid places it is about E10-12. I did stop at a bakery on Ave Fernandez and had some really good cookies. If you are thirsty when you arrive, up the second street from the Aqueduct off Plaza de Azoguejo there is a meat store (carniceria) with a red awning. Inside you can buy a drink for E1 instead of paying two or three times more in a cafe.

The annoying Spanish opening hours do apply - between 3 and 7 (or even 8) you can only get coffee and cookies if you are lucky enough to find a place open.

• gypsysoul73's Profile Photo

Meson de Candido: For the Cochinillo

by gypsysoul73 Written Oct 16, 2007

You can't miss it, it's right by the Aqueduct and it is THE place to go for cochinillo (roast suckling pig), as confirmed by the hundreds of pictures of famous people who have visited hanging on the walls. You must order the cochinillo, which is unbelievably tender, so tender you can cut it with a plate, and you will.

Favorite Dish: the cochinillo!

Meson de Candido is to the right of the aqueduct

• nomad7890's Profile Photo

Restaurant Duque Asador de Segovia: Segovia's oldest meson

by nomad7890 Written Oct 7, 2005

This restaurant certainly rounded up our Segovia experience. It had been highly recommended by a colleague from Madrid, along with its specialty the "cochinillo" - this is a roasted baby pig. This is not the place for vegetarians - my son was becoming a vegetarian and gave us quite a bit of grief. The food was excellent. I do have mixed emotions on the cochinillo. It is extremely tender - but when it is in your plate it is more like having a larger chicken. Guess I'm not used to having such a small piglet in my plate. It was very tasty - but the experience was odd - it was a piglet! (there is a picture in the website below). The service was outstanding, the wine, food, and dessert superb. Beautiful inside with many carved archways and intricate chandeliers. As we were dining some minstrels came in. Sometimes these people can be annoying, but the ones that came in were excellent, and sang some very old Spanish songs I used to hear when I was very small. Very emotional experience. When we left the owner gave me a small clay jar with the restaurant's name.

Make sure to make reservations!

Inside the Meson Duque Maestro Asador de Segovia China

• Lorro's Profile Photo

Narizotas: Great food and location

by Lorro Updated Jan 21, 2005

Narizotas is a great restaurant with great service located in the most beautiful plaza in Segovia. I like the sense of humor in the story on the front of the menu, but its in Spanish. Its great, it tells the supposed history of this restaurant, catorized with not even one star just "one little fork."
    Narizotas means big nose and supposedly it was a big nosed count from Wales who started a tavern that became known as the Narizotas tavern to the local people. Who knows what ever became of him.
    The decor is rustic and inviting and whisks you back a few hundred years to a time when there was time to sit down to a good meal. In the summer its great to sit at one of the outdoor tables.

Favorite Dish: When there for lunch I ordered the "Menu del dia" which had a few options, I had a nice shrimp bisque soup and Salmon with vegetables for a main course. They have other interesting salads and dishes. Everything was great taste and quality. I can't wait to go back!

Narizotas

• Gaby_G's Profile Photo

...: Local food

by Gaby_G Written Apr 20, 2004

There are so many local restaurants, that I will just tell you about what is the typical food, so, if you get to finally found somewere to eat (at lunch hours all the restaurants are FULL) you can know what to ask for...
    * Cochinillo (little pig)
    * Wheat bread
    * Trout
    * And ask for a typical dessert...

---------------------------

Hay muchisimos restaurantes de comida tipica, asi que sin nombre, te doy una "lista" de los platillos tipicos, asi en el caso que encuentres donde comer (por que a la hora de la comida los lugares se llenan a tope) vas a saber por donde irte:
    *Cochinillo
    *Pan de trigo
    *Trucha
    *Algun postre

Dont botter we are eating

Instant Answers: Segovia

Comments

Segovia Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Segovia restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Segovia sightseeing.