Valladolid Restaurants

by belgianchocolate

Most Recent Restaurants in Valladolid

La Parrilla de San Lorenzo: Spanish Grill

by lbhspatriot Written Jan 16, 2009

The word parrilla stands for grill and this restaurant serves finest grilled fish I have eaten while in Valladolid. The dark humor of the owners should be recognized (well this is how I see it), that St. Lawrence wat burned to death over a grill! And the parilla was the 16th century monastery before being converted to a restaurant and has a very medieval atmosphere, which I liked.

The house specialty is milk-fed lamb cooked to tender perfection in a wood oven. The bonito tuna is among the best fish offerings; it's marinated in sea salt before being lightly sautéed in virgin olive oil.

Favorite Dish: Ensalada de rape (monkfish salad) with little red pimientos, the house specialty is milk-fed lamb cooked to tender perfection in a wood oven.
    Also tuna marinated in sea salt sauted with virgin olive oil is among the best fish offerings.

Mesón Cervantes: Dine with Don Quixote

by lbhspatriot Written Jan 16, 2009

This restaurant is one of the best in the city, despite its rising prices. It is a family restaurant, the owner works the dining room and his wife in the kitchen, as well and their son. The ambience is fantastic! The restaurant is located beside the Casa de Cervantes, (around 8km or 1/2 mile south of the cathedral and Plaza Mayor).

It might be seen as dear by local standars: main courses 25€-40€ ($33-$52) and fixed-price menu 40€ ($52).

Favorite Dish: Two particular favorites are sole with pine nuts and seasonal river crabs.
    Many other fish dishes, include hake and monkfish. Also among the best dishes are Roast suckling pig and roast lamb and peppers stuffed with crabmeat.

Dine near the Plaza Mayor

by lbhspatriot Written Jan 16, 2009

Plaza Mayor is a focal point in the city a gathering spot and a great place to dine and watch the city life. There is a variety of good and reasonably priced restaurants near the Plaza Mayor some include La Cueva (Calle Correos 4) and, opposite, La Balconada. Local specialities include roast suckling pig. For good tapas, try the nearby Taberna del Herrero.

• juzz's Profile Photo

La Balconada: casa de vinos y comidas

by juzz Written Apr 3, 2007

Walking along calle correos we found this place and we entered because it was one of the few with a free table in that moment. Fortunately it was a really good place. We wasn't very hungry but we enjoyed a big plate with a mix of meal, vegetables that we enjoyed very much. Perhaps there were too many onions :p
    We didn't spend too much both because we didn't eat very much and because the restaurant is quit cheap.

• juzz's Profile Photo

Sal y Pimienta: Rice!

by juzz Written Apr 3, 2007

I wanted to try this restaurante because I read good opinions by other VTers, once again they have been very useful!
    We had rice with fish and meat (it seemed very similar to paella in my opinion, but in the menu the called it just "rice"). While waiting they brought us some small apetizers and after the dinner they brought also some coffee-liquor.
    We didn't pay that much but we didn't take wine, so I think this restaurant's prices are around the average.
    You should book your table, we tried to go there without calling before and we didn't find place, so we had to book for the next day.

Favorite Dish: Rice with fish and meat

• La Cueva: Great value

by RussellHadd Updated Jul 24, 2005

The Card

We ate here twice. The service was excellent and the food delicious. The restaurant is not big with just 7 or 8 tables. The set menu was just 13 Euros each but on both occasions we opted to choose dishes from the menu. We were not disappointed enjoying everything we ate. The total bill was 50 Euros (25 each) on the first occasion when we selected the most expensive options for main course, had starters, dessert, 2 bottles of beer, house wine and two coffees each. We were then invited by the waiter to sample a strong local spirit. In addition, we were given some nibbles before the starter, given plenty of bread and with the coffee offererd 'special cherries' which had been soaked in some strong stuff. On the second occasion the bill was 34 Euros (17 each) the only differences this time were that we ate cheaper options for main course and did not drink any beer. The waiter was very welcoming and as the first evening went on he provided us with plenty of advice to help us enjoy the visit to Valladolid. We returned on the last evening of our stay as it had been the most enjoyable eating experience we had had during the holiday. La Cueva is a great option for an all round great eating experience which is very affordable.

Favorite Dish: Menestra - delicous mix of green vegtebles, carrotts and mushrooms.

Merluza (Hake) - cooked with ham and cheese, it sounded unusal but was both tasty and filling.

Coffee - don't ask for any particular type as they just have the special coffee which has a few drops of very strong stuff added.

La toscane: Heladeria

by belgianchocolate Updated May 31, 2005

Refering to Italian icecream?
    Not a bad move I guess. Anyway we saw
    a lot of people running in and outside this
    shop all looking happy and satisfied...
    (The shop doesn't look appealing from the
    outside.)

So we had to try it.
    A thing is , me and Frederik , we don't like
    that cookie that seems to be necessary to
    serve icecream.

So , In Belgium when you order a plastic or cardboard
    container it is no problem to get
    filled with 4 or 5 different flavours.
    Seems like a big problem in this 'Heladeria'.
    The boss had to come. And no these
    containers are for taking their perfect icecream
    home. Hmmm... I'm sorry I don't speak Spanish.
    Anyway in the end we had our icecream.
    A little bit expensive (7 euro) but excellent
    quality.

• benidormone's Profile Photo

Casa San Pedro Regaldo: Very good!!!

by benidormone Updated Feb 1, 2005

Tabla mixta

We really enjoyed eating in this place. On the ground floor its a bar where you can eat Tapas. Downstairs is a cellar with nice cosy corners or for groups big long tables. When we got in it was only 9 o'clock and that is very early according to Spanish standards, but we had been walking allday and we were gettting tired and hungry, by 10 o' clock the place was getting filled with people.

Favorite Dish: We went for the Tabla Mixta, served on a wooden shelf. Lamb, steak, local ham, calamares and more were on it (see picture).
    We really enjoyed it and best of all not expensive.

• benidormone's Profile Photo

Gran Muralla: Superfast Chinese

by benidormone Written Feb 1, 2005

Gran Muralla

This was really an expierience, I've never been served so fast. It was served so fast that we were ready in 20 minutes for a whole menu. The waiters and wiatresses were walking along the restaurant all the time with there arms crossed or bringing dishes. You really have to see this.

Favorite Dish: We asked for the menu for two. The menu contained a free drink, spring roll with sweet sour sauce, fried rice, chicken curry, beef sweet and sour, ice cream and coffee for only 6,75€. When we payed the bill we got also a glas of lychee wine for free. Maybe not the best Chinese I ever ate, but not bad at all.

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo

Casa San Pedro Regaldo.: That was good!!!

by belgianchocolate Written May 3, 2004

I like the way Spanish people go out and eat.
    It seems to be a family happinning and
    nobody has to stay at home.
    Grandpa and prandma as well as the children
    are coming along.
    If they go out , not everybody has to eat...
    It is more of an informal happening.

The place has a little sitting area near the
    street , people also like to stand at the sideboard .

If you come with a group , they prefer reservations.
    They got an atmospheric cellar with
    a long table and some nice tables
    on the first sub-floor.

Favorite Dish:
    The had a lot of choise tapas.
    Little sanwishes , snacks ...all looking very tempting.
    Even more tempting for us was the
    'tabla mixta' and the 'tabla Variada'

Served a la plancha (on a wooden shelf)
    they serve fries and some local specialities.

It was absolutely delicious and cheap.

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo

La trastienda.: What , so little?

by belgianchocolate Written May 3, 2004

WINE and TAPAS.
    We were looking for a small snack at noon.
    We had our dessert already bought in the
    'mercado del val' , the covered market.

A glimps inside the bar and we were convinced.
    You know the food or whatever is good when
    the place is crowded no?
    Ok , my Spanish , again a problem.
    So I pointed out what I wanted for dinner.
    I got no idea but I seemed to do everything
    wrong. I bet I have chosen all the free things
    as well. I got no idea if I ordered the large
    portions or not? I guess I did.
    But I sure didn't pay for them.

Favorite Dish:
    I absolutely love the squid in a spicy tomato
    sauce...some sour vegetables...

In the end we paid less then 10 euro.
    Amazing! I bet they had a lot of good wines as
    well if you like wine. It was a very popular place.
    Something I've seen : if there isn't a terrace ,
    make your own.

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo

La parrilla de San Lorenzo: I enjoyed every second of it...

by belgianchocolate Written May 2, 2004

In Belgium restaurants often open as early as
    6 o'clock in the evening and round the clock
    of 8 the places gets full. And by 10 o'clock
    you will get dinied access.

So the two little Begian were hungry at 8.45h
    and went to this restaurant. We noticed large
    crowds circling around this area , waiting to
    get in. Abvious people from some sort of
    party or a wedding.
    Don't they get food at weddings , did we
    wonder or did they rented this restaurant.

Anyway , you'll enter the restaurant in a nice
    and posh bar. Small but crowded.
    Frederik asked if there was any room left...
    Yes , no , maybe...We had to come back at
    9 o'clock. No , I could not believe free
    understood that correct. So many people
    entering the little bar.

Whatever , about nine O'clock we went back
    in.. The friendly waiter picked us out of the
    crowds. We passed by this great oven , the
    heart of the restaurant and were guided
    onto one of the cellars.

' There we were completely ALONE!

Strange ? no. Ok I should have known ,
    Spain , Italy ... they hide during daytime and
    come out in the night. People eat quit late here.
    The restaurant was only getting full by 10h30.

The decor was fantastic ...old authentic.
    They found an English menu somewhere...
    I really appreciate that , I gat this thing of
    choosing intestines when I don't understand
    the language.

The entries were fantastic...
    I had this cold tower of vegetables and salmon ,
    served with olives and apples. Free had something with large shrimp.

My head dish was prepared in the oven...
    The specialtiy of the house : lamb served with
    bread. I loved it.

No , I didn't had room for dessert. We took
    that after a walk. ;-)
    We payed about 60 euros for that without wine.
    I think that is a fair price for this but a lot
    more expensive compared to other
    possibilities.

It was my Birthdaydinner!

• Luxury Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• micas_pt's Profile Photo

Taberna Felix: Tasty food

by micas_pt Written Apr 3, 2004

I guess we were lucky to come across this place by chance. It is a small place, not too fancy, but with great food and cheap prices. They serve tapas and also meals - actually they serve menus: first plate, second plate, desert and drink, all included in the price. You may choose from several options available, I must confess that all of them seemed to be quite good, at least I was very happy with the choice I made. I will definitely return here if I visit Valladolid again. If you are looking for a fancy or fashionable restaurant I wouldn't recommend this one.

• zindara's Profile Photo

Fortuna 25: Fortuna 25

by zindara Written Sep 2, 2003

They offer a selected menu with more than 25 dishes to choose from. You can eat local dishes as well as delicious meat and fishes. Menu is a little bit more expensive than average but much better quality than average. The restaurant is famous around locals that go here for special lunches and dinners: to celebrate birthdays, aniversaries, company lunches, etc.

• -deja.Ismael's Profile Photo

'La Parrilla de San Lorenzo': 'La Parrilla de San Lorenzo'

by -deja.Ismael Updated Jul 10, 2003

'La Parrilla de San Lorenzo' is famous for the place: a former wine-cellar from 16th century. Publicity of the place says you can eat in a museum, and it is a rather accurate description.

Perhaps 'a bit' expensive (30-35 Euros)

Favorite Dish: The typical meal of the place (and the city) is the roasted lamb. You may accompany it with a local wine: experts on the issue say red wine is the most appropiate for this meal ... and 'Ribera' wines are supposed to be the best ones ... too expensive? try a 'Toro' wine, for example.

Instant Answers: Valladolid

Comments

Valladolid Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Valladolid restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Valladolid sightseeing.