Cal Pep, Barcelona

• Beavers's Profile Photo

Cal Pep: Best Tapa's in Spain

by Beavers Updated Mar 7, 2006

Fried Prawns & Calamari,Tuna TarTar & Tomato Bread

If you are going to Barcelona don't miss your chance to eat at Cal Pep!
    The place is always busy so there will be a wait for your spot at the tapas bar but it is worth it. While you wait you can have a drink and check out what people are eating and enjoy the aromas coming your way. There is a dinning room out the back, but I think that it's a shame to miss out on watching the show of the waiters, chefs, the food and Pep him self all happening behind the bar. Once you get your place I recommend that you let the waiter order a selection for you. As there is no menu, just let the surprises come your way. All the produce is really fresh and of a high quality. Both the red and white house wine are reasable for the price or you can choose some thing more to your taste. We had the tomato bread, yellow fin tuna tar tar, fried crispy prawns and calamari, clams in garlic sauce, fried mild green chilli’s, local sausage with beans, crispy fried artichokes, fillet of beef with potatoes and 3 desserts including wild strawberry’s with cream and two bottles of wine. All that came to a total of 105 euros and was a great dinning experience ......worth every cent! So if you are already in Barcelona or are heading there soon, take the time to eat at Cal Pep ....... you will not be disappointed!

Favorite Dish: It is to hard to chose a favorite dish as it was all so good. But stand outs were the Clams in garlic sauce, the fried crispy prawns and calamari and the crispy fried artichokes.

• Wine Tasting

• MM212's Profile Photo

Cal Pep: Most Delicious Catalan Food

by MM212 Updated Jul 15, 2008

Cal Pep's counter

Of all of the delicious cuisine and tapas I sampled in Barcelona, Cal Pep's was easily the best. It is tiny and crowded, but best to sit at the bar counter and ask the waiter to choose for you. The dishes are prepared right in front of you and are of the local Catalan seafood variety. I ate here once in Feb 2005 and then again twice in Jun/Jul 2008 and this place was no disappointment. Worth the trip to Barcelona!

Favorite Dish: I especially liked the squid with chickpeas. Yummy!

• Wine Tasting

• Maggies's Profile Photo

CAL PEP: The best seafood

by Maggies Updated Oct 29, 2003

Cal Pep

Thanks to that restaurant I'm the seafood lover. The way they prepare it and the way it tastes is just one of a kind. You get sitted by the bar and there is no menu to choose from. You mainly point to the fridge to show what is it you'd like to try or ask the waiter to do it for you (I would highy recommend that option, I absolutelly trust the stuff at Cal Pep).
    The place is very busy in the evening and the service is excellent, you get the next tapa before you finish the previous one. All in all it's all about feeding you and getting new customers on your place, isn't it?
    There is just one "but" when it comes to Cal Pep. But, but it's expensive...

Favorite Dish: Some of my favourites are: chipirones con garbanzo (baby squids with peas), boquerones (little fishes), these tiny fishes - in winter time only, prawns in tomatoe - onion sauce, tallarines, almejas, mejillones.

• Cal Pep: Beware!

by fishnguy Written Jul 11, 2005

This is a very popular restaurant so we were warned to line up at opening time for dinner (8:00PM). We managed to obtain two places at the counter and people quickly started to line up behind us. We asked for the tapas menu. First Warning - there is no menu and we did not know enough Spanish to order. The owner/manager offered to bring us a selection of Tapas - Second Warning. We ended up receiving some very expensive dishes and paying over US$60. On top of this I got sick, probably from the seafood.

• Cal Pep: get tapas miscellaneous

by thomas1972_italia Written Nov 18, 2004

This restaurant is one of the best in barcelona. You can stay at the "barra" or go in the dining room. I suggest you highly to stay at the barra, you can see the food be made in front of you.
    Also if there you can eat only tapas, they are like a little dish, not only some to eat while you drink a cup of cava. you have dinner here (or lunch) tasting these wonderful dishes. For each one 3/4 are enough but 5/6 are not so much (hehehe). Have a selection of tapas is the good option and then ask for fried fish plate, mussels. While you wait ( and you will...long time) take a look at other's guests tapas, see the one you may order ...and enjoy especially the ambient, Cal Pep himself is a show, how he manage the kitchen, the waiter, the guests. Desserts (like usual in barcelona) are not too special.
    Expect to pay 35/45 € per person

Favorite Dish: all seafood tapas

• Alikatt's Profile Photo

Cal Pep: fab and fresh sea food

by Alikatt Updated Nov 18, 2010

I got there at noon and it was already full in the small dining area with bar stools that is adjacent to Plaza de Olles. We were a party of six and I was told to wait until all of us in the party were there. It took another hour before the other members of my party showed up but the timing was perfect since it was the time it took for those six stools to be vacated anyway since there were prime spots. My friends and I had all the fresh catch of the day and the cooking was done right there on the other side of the counter. Every small plate was amazing and flavorful. We had them with refreshing Spanish white wine. Senor Pep was friendly and spunky. He and his staff were good humored and highly skilled.

Favorite Dish: Everything was amazingly fresh and good. The clams were divine, the oysters were creamy and delish. Local white wine served was also excellent.

• Museum Visits

• viajera67's Profile Photo

Cal Pep: Cal Pep

by viajera67 Written Aug 24, 2002

The seafood is fresh. Although it's a tapas bar, they prepare everything to order.

Favorite Dish: Calamari with beans, Langostinos a la plancha, Gambas, Garbanzo beans with Spinach....everything's so good! Just look at what other people are having and point...or ask for a recommendation.

• Cal Pep: By local, for local

by desmond001 Written Jan 2, 2007

great place to wine and dine.i dont speak any spanish, and they cant find anyone that speak english, but i still manage to get some great food.( lots of pointing and sign language do help a bit). i had 5 tapas, wine, dessert, coffee, cost about €60. well worth it. down side is i waited abt 1 hour for the seat

Favorite Dish: clam with bacon

• booloukas's Profile Photo

Cal Pep: Nothing will beat this

by booloukas Written Sep 8, 2006

We went here first about 5 years ago, waited an hour, not sure what to expect, had some of the best food, we let the chef choose and just ate what they put in front of us, it was all fantastic, fresh and cooked to perfection but with so little hassel, all in front of us,

Favorite Dish: calamari, squid in red wine and peas, steak on the griddle with green capsicums, langoustines with garlic and butter/lemon, 2 bottles of red wine and the Picasso museum on the way home!

A total must, I recommend this to everyone I know, it was the best tapas ever

• Cal Pep: Arrogant, Over-hyped, Insulting

by nandmm Written Apr 25, 2006

We got there at 8pm and all the seats were taken, and there about 4 people in line ahead of us. We talked the main person at the counter how long it would be and how we could hold a spot for ourselves. He asked us to come back in 30 minutes and that he would have a spot at the counter for us. We walked around for that time and came back and mentioned our discussion (and by this time there was a very long line), and all the idiot at the front could did was tell the other waiters and kitchen staff something and they all got a good laugh out of it.

I think their attitude was insulting and really in poor taste. I do hope that their poor service and attitude catches up with them someday, and that the readers of this review avoid this stupid restaurant.

Favorite Dish: This restaurant sucks.

• Cal Pep: Go there hungry and explore!

by ichabod8 Written Jun 29, 2011

Yes, there is a long wait to get in...but it is well worth it! We found all staff friendly and helpful, the food is AMAZING! We looked around us and saw what looked good and asked for it. We asked for tips from the server. We watched food prep, the cooking, the show is as good as the food. The food is fresh.

If you are tired and irritable, go another day when you can wait for a meal. Or just stay away and let someone happy enjoy the space you would have taken! Be a good traveler and realize some are worth going out of your comfort zone of timing.

We were served wine while we waited for a seat at the bar and our bottle was either marked for us or they just remembered which bottle was ours. You only pay for what you drink, so don't worry when they open a bottle for two glasses!

Favorite Dish: The fried Padron peppers! And the clams, and the shrimp, and the tortillas, and the spinach, and everything else we ordered. We enjoyed it so much, we returned the next day and reordered the peppers and tried things we didn't have room for the day before!

• Cal Pep: Do not bother- life is FAR too short

by dianapiano Written Mar 10, 2008

We ended up waiting for two hours in rather uncomfortable conditions and still had no chance of getting a place. We left hungry, angry, tired and simply - very disappointed. The waiters ignore the customers in the line, one has no idea how long the wait will be or how much it will cost at the end (no menu!). Do not go there, unless you are in the mood for having an argument with your partner or love standing on your feet watching other people eat nice food half a meter away from your face.

Favorite Dish: I wish I had a chance to find out...

• Cal Pep: The Best and Freshest Tapas

by Annapet Written Nov 4, 2004

I have to find the right words. All good. I'll go back to Barcelona just to have lunch here.

Favorite Dish: Everything!

Instant Answers: Barcelona

Comments

Hotels Near Cal Pep
2.5 out of 5 stars