El Mussol, Barcelona

by yokomm....
    18 of us; Rehersal Dinner at Musol
    by magictravelers
  • suzwa's Profile Photo

El Mussol: Great for grills!

by suzwa Updated Apr 4, 2011

El Mussol attracts all kinds of people - when I went there last, there were familes (young and old, large and small), couples, business colleagues and friends. It looked like a lot of people stopped there after hitting the shops on Pg de Gracia!

I think that there are quite a few things that make it attractive to so many people... the food (great quality, and you can see it being cooked), the ambience (welcoming, professional staff, in a lovely dining environment, but it still feels like a proper restaurant and not a cafe or bar), the prices (excellent value), and the fact that El Mussol is so big that you will always get a table without much of a wait, if any.

Favorite Dish: If they offer you bread, take it!!! The bread here is nice anyway, but they serve it with 2 little pots or garlicky gorgeousness - one is definitely ali-oli (kind of garlic mayo), but there is also a fluorescent green oil which is intensely flavoured with herbs and garlic. I love it so much I could go to El Mussol and just eat plate after plate of that!

If you are really hungry, have the canelones starter - it's big! And really tasty too... I should have stopped to make way for my main course but it was so good, I couldn't bear to leave any... I was stuffed after it. The granny's cake (kind of a potato bake) is good too. There was something on the starters menu (the second time we went) and we couldn't work out what it was so decided to try it anyway. It wasn't great - ok but not much flavour and a bit small - but to be honest I can't remember what it was called. So i guess my tip is to order things you know you like!

My friend's mixed grill was great - a lovely variety of meats, and cooked to perfection. He told me that the rabbit on it was so good he wanted to kill and eat his mum's pet bunny when we got home! (don't worry, he didn't!) I had steak, which was equally good, but thankfully didn't make me want to come home and kill a cow!

• SueWarwick's Profile Photo

El Mussol: Great grilled food

by SueWarwick Updated Apr 4, 2011

Inside Mussol

There are 4 Mussol restaurants around Barcelona, each specialising in flame grilled meat and vegetables.
    The three restaurants I visited where large with some out door seating and seperate smoking areas. Service in all three was fast and friendly.

On my first vist, I opted to start with a huge pan of snails (well you have to try them at least once!) For the less adventurous they do some nice pasta

Unsure as to what meat I fancied for main course I went for the lot!! The mixed grill came with sausage, steak, rabbit, lamb chops and chicken. It was served with a baked potato.
    As if this wasn't enough I also ordered mixed veg (grilled mushrooms, asparagus, globe artichoke, aubergine and courgette)
    You can watch your food being prepared in the open kitchens usually located in the middle of the restaurant.

Food came with toasted bread with tomatoes and 2 dips - one seemed to be a basil pesto the other a garlic/cheese sauce.

All this washed down with a couple of glasses of Rioja

Needless to say, no room for desert - just coffee(although Im told their ice cream is delicious)

Favorite Dish: All the main courses are grilled - just pick you favourite meat and/or veg!
    Each restaurant also has a bar serving a good selection of tapas.

I revisited two more restaurants in the Mussol chain in June. Food was still as good. The steaks are recommened.
    I have noticed now, however, that you now have to order bread which is included in the final bill.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

El Mussol: El Mussol - Meat glorious meat

by sue_stone Updated Apr 4, 2011

El Mussol

Mussol is a small chain offering the 'best of the Catalan country houses cuisine' in their charcoal-grill restaurants. One of their restaurants, located close to Placa Catalunya, was recommended to us by a friend, prior to our first visit to Barcelona in 2003.

The interior of the restaurant we visited was quite 'barn-like', having a high ceiling with exposed wooden beams. There was a relaxed, friendly feel about the place, and there was a mixture of locals and tourists dining there.

Favorite Dish: Mussol specialises in Char-grilled meat and vegetables, and the serves are pretty big from memory. We had the char-grilled lamb chops which came with potatoes also cooked on the grill. The meat was deliciously juicy and tender, and the perfect match to the Spanish red wine we ordered.

Unfortunately we were too full for dessert, but those on the tables around us looked good.

There are several branches in Barcelona. We went to the one at Casp 19, just off Passeig de Gracia.

See the website for more details.

• Wine Tasting

• El Mussol: Don't bother with a main course

by vauxhallmanor Written May 24, 2010

On taking advise on sites tried this restaurant, should of remembered as so often turns out the starter of grandma's pie was very good then the main arrived, we looked at each other and almost laughed as here we are again with the Spanish way of ruining lamb. After travelling to Spain for many years it has now become obvious " STICK TO TAPAS " or have a couple of starters, by the way in most places now starters are almost the same price as a main, around 8-10 euro!!!

• El Mussol: Don't eat there!

by dmichela Written Apr 9, 2008

DON'T EAT AT THIS RESTAURANT! Visited El Mussol on Mar 17th with a group of 10 Canadian students. Found hair on food--not once but twice--in same meal. Manager arrogant and refused to offer reasonable resolution. Wrote complaint letter to Head Office and have not received courtesy of a reply.

• yokomm....'s Profile Photo

El Mussol: Can't resist to make a pig of myself

by yokomm.... Written May 8, 2005

barcelona

You can recognize this restaurant by red signboard with mushroom. When slimpse this restaurant's gateway, it looks very narrow but not. It's delightful to take my seat at the counter. There is showcase to see the menus of today, which are omelet and mushroom, bread and so on.

Favorite Dish: Tortilla de patata; omelet with potato was very tasty and matched for beer perfectly.

• magictravelers's Profile Photo

El Mussol: Musol Restaurants

by magictravelers Written Jan 13, 2005

18 of us; Rehersal Dinner at Musol

With a wide choice of food, this restaurant has pretty much all the local food you´ve got to try on your trup to Barcelona. Nice staff, can accomodate a group of people (we were 18). Prices are very reasonable and the food is great. There are 3 of them in the city of Barcelona because they are so good, people have demanded them.
    Don´t be surprised to run into someone famous while eating here.

Favorite Dish: Everything! But one of the local customs of Catalunya is bread with tomato. It is great here! Everything from the grill is great and don´t miss the sangria. My family loved it!

• ARoman's Profile Photo

El Mussol: The discover of 'oruco'...

by ARoman Updated Feb 3, 2003

Relaxing, finally...

Friendly and simple, it seems the place where locals organize their group dinners. The personnel was nice and we had a lot of fun.

Favorite Dish: I had a mixed grill, but I will remember the place for a great local chocolate cake and my little glass of chilled 'oruco', the local grappa.

Instant Answers: Barcelona

Comments

Hotels Near El Mussol
4.5 out of 5 stars