El Rey de Gamba, Barcelona

El Rey De La Gamba
    by Clodagh
  • El Rey De Gamba: Food was nice...Service was terrible

by Keliver1980 Written Feb 27, 2012

I visited El Rey De Gamba on Saturday 23rd February 2012. It was a sunny afternoon, so we decided to sit outside. The place was a bit busy. My boyfriend and I sat in a bad place where there were waiters walking up and down to get to the other tables. I asked one of the waiters if we could move tables and he just ignored us. There were no please or thank you, or smiles and the food was just dumped on our table. The food was ok, but i went to other Restaurants on the same street which were just as good and the service was really nice. I will not be going there again.

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

El rey de la Gamba II: Great seafood reasonable prices

by oriettaIT Written Feb 8, 2011

This restaurant in La Barceloneta was the best value for seafood. We had fried fish and a arroz negro, rice cooked in blak ink with squid and everything was very good. It turned out to be the cheaper dinner in Barcelona, meal and two beew were around 30 euros for two people.
    It is possible to eat outsite looking at the port.

• El Rey de Gamba: Cheap seafood

by patsypatsy Updated Aug 14, 2007

Between the 4 of use we ordered the flat oysters, seafood platter for 2, grilled monkfish and the black paella. I didn't have the oysters but didn't hear any complaints so I assume it was ok. The seafood platter was HUGE, enough for 4 really! Looked good and tasted good. However, the lower you got to the bottom of the platter the quality for the seafood also lowered. There was a mixture of different quality and sized prawns. One of us who passed the kitchen on the way to the toilets noticed frozen prawns being thawed. Same for the mussels as well. So what's on the platter was a mix of fresh and frozen food. But for 37 euros I think it's a bargain! The monkfish was very meaty and satisfying and the paella was pretty good too. We went there quite early for dinner and the waiters were patient and friendly. We chose to sit by the road but there weren't any cars going by so it didn't effect our meal.

Favorite Dish: Seafood platter for 2

• El Rey de Gamba: walk on by ....

by jaxfraser Updated Nov 14, 2006

VERY pushy staff lure you in to this substandard restaurant. If you have allergies or special requirements, do not go into this restauarmt - we checked three times - in Spanish and English - and were assured we could be accomodated - right up till the food arrived. When we complained, we were shouted at, and told that OF COURSE they could never have made the food the way we had asked. I noticed they made sure that the 'problem' meal was the last to arrive - by quite a bit.

If you like food, then here it's nothing special, no-one in our party of 11 liked their food. no-one liked the hostile and lackadaisical service, and no-one liked being lied to about their ability to omit certain ingredients.

I would never visit here again - even if every other restaurant in Barcelona was closed.

Favorite Dish: Everything was awful. Stick to seafood, but make sure it's properly cooked and cleaned - mine certainly wasn't. I can eat anything, on every continent, but I struggled here. Barcelona has amazing restaurants - this really isn't one.

• Architecture

• Clodagh's Profile Photo

El Rey de Gamba: Great food and value

by Clodagh Written Sep 19, 2006

This is a series of restaurants you will pass on your way from La Rambla to the beach. They are very reasonable priced and serve huge portions of delicious food in a relaxed atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: Try the mussels or the seafood platter and accommpany dinner with a pitcher of Sangria.

El Rey De La Gamba

• firestart's Profile Photo

El Rey de Gamba: Best paella i tried

by firestart Written May 18, 2006

When you will came to La Barcelonata you will find dozens of restaurants. Well, i tried 3-4 of them for lack of time, and the best one was El Rey De La Gamba. I tried 4/5 different types of Paella, and all were great. Prices are average low, and service is polite and fast. Nothing better to eat, when there are 35° and you have been wondering in the city for 10 hours! :)

Favorite Dish: Paella!