El Rey de Gamba, Barcelona

3.5 out of 5 stars 12 Reviews

Around 64-66 Passeig Joan de Borbo

• THIS IS THE BEST PAELLA WE HAD IN BARCELONA
    THIS IS THE BEST PAELLA WE HAD IN...
    by listenandlearn
    Outside the restaurant
    by pugwashman
    Hungry?
    by firestart
  • El Rey De Gamba: Food was nice...Service was terrible

by Keliver1980 Written Feb 27, 2012

I visited El Rey De Gamba on Saturday 23rd February 2012. It was a sunny afternoon, so we decided to sit outside. The place was a bit busy. My boyfriend and I sat in a bad place where there were waiters walking up and down to get to the other tables. I asked one of the waiters if we could move tables and he just ignored us. There were no please or thank you, or smiles and the food was just dumped on our table. The food was ok, but i went to other Restaurants on the same street which were just as good and the service was really nice. I will not be going there again.

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

El rey de la Gamba II: Great seafood reasonable prices

by oriettaIT Written Feb 8, 2011

This restaurant in La Barceloneta was the best value for seafood. We had fried fish and a arroz negro, rice cooked in blak ink with squid and everything was very good. It turned out to be the cheaper dinner in Barcelona, meal and two beew were around 30 euros for two people.
    It is possible to eat outsite looking at the port.

• El Rey de Gamba: Cheap seafood

by patsypatsy Updated Aug 14, 2007

Between the 4 of use we ordered the flat oysters, seafood platter for 2, grilled monkfish and the black paella. I didn't have the oysters but didn't hear any complaints so I assume it was ok. The seafood platter was HUGE, enough for 4 really! Looked good and tasted good. However, the lower you got to the bottom of the platter the quality for the seafood also lowered. There was a mixture of different quality and sized prawns. One of us who passed the kitchen on the way to the toilets noticed frozen prawns being thawed. Same for the mussels as well. So what's on the platter was a mix of fresh and frozen food. But for 37 euros I think it's a bargain! The monkfish was very meaty and satisfying and the paella was pretty good too. We went there quite early for dinner and the waiters were patient and friendly. We chose to sit by the road but there weren't any cars going by so it didn't effect our meal.

Favorite Dish: Seafood platter for 2

• El Rey de Gamba: walk on by ....

by jaxfraser Updated Nov 14, 2006

VERY pushy staff lure you in to this substandard restaurant. If you have allergies or special requirements, do not go into this restauarmt - we checked three times - in Spanish and English - and were assured we could be accomodated - right up till the food arrived. When we complained, we were shouted at, and told that OF COURSE they could never have made the food the way we had asked. I noticed they made sure that the 'problem' meal was the last to arrive - by quite a bit.

If you like food, then here it's nothing special, no-one in our party of 11 liked their food. no-one liked the hostile and lackadaisical service, and no-one liked being lied to about their ability to omit certain ingredients.

I would never visit here again - even if every other restaurant in Barcelona was closed.

Favorite Dish: Everything was awful. Stick to seafood, but make sure it's properly cooked and cleaned - mine certainly wasn't. I can eat anything, on every continent, but I struggled here. Barcelona has amazing restaurants - this really isn't one.

• Architecture

• Clodagh's Profile Photo

El Rey de Gamba: Great food and value

by Clodagh Written Sep 19, 2006

El Rey De La Gamba

This is a series of restaurants you will pass on your way from La Rambla to the beach. They are very reasonable priced and serve huge portions of delicious food in a relaxed atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: Try the mussels or the seafood platter and accommpany dinner with a pitcher of Sangria.

• firestart's Profile Photo

El Rey de Gamba: Best paella i tried

by firestart Written May 18, 2006

Hungry?

When you will came to La Barcelonata you will find dozens of restaurants. Well, i tried 3-4 of them for lack of time, and the best one was El Rey De La Gamba. I tried 4/5 different types of Paella, and all were great. Prices are average low, and service is polite and fast. Nothing better to eat, when there are 35° and you have been wondering in the city for 10 hours! :)

Favorite Dish: Paella!

• gypsysoul73's Profile Photo

El Rey de Gamba: Best Lobster in the World!

by gypsysoul73 Written Jun 29, 2005

Yummy in my tummy! I love seafood, so this was the perfect place for me. The lobster is a must-try. It's HUGE and so fresh . Don't make the mistake of ordering too much, one dish can easily feed 3 people.

• listenandlearn's Profile Photo

El Rey de Gamba: Recommendable Restaurant for Paella

by listenandlearn Written May 10, 2005

THIS IS THE BEST PAELLA WE HAD IN BARCELONA

One of our dishes which we ordered was the paella a serving for 50 people and this is what was served...it was so yummy and did not feel any embarrasment having them put the rest in a doggy bag which we all had for the rest of the week. It was so super dilicious.

Favorite Dish: Paella, and assorted seafoods.

• pugwashman's Profile Photo

El Rey de Gamba: El Rey de Gamba

by pugwashman Written Oct 12, 2004
    Outside the restaurant

This restaurant was recommended in a guide book we'd bought, but we decided to eat there after seeing all the locals sitting at the tables. The food was wonderful, and although we didn't have it ourselves the seafood special looked amazing. Excellent food and service and a really nice place to relax and bask in the sun. I think there are a few of these restaurants but we ate in the one in the Barceloneta area.

Favorite Dish: Mussells and Garlic Prawns with Catalan bread & a cold beer.

• taryn_treloar's Profile Photo

El Rey De La Gamba I: Best SEAFOOD in Spain

by taryn_treloar Written Dec 30, 2003

Card from the Restaurant

Here are a few options that you have to order at this fabulous restaurant:

* Gambas Plancha
    * Jamon Serrano Negro
    * Parrilladas
    * Frituras
    * Mejillones
    * Mariscdas
    * Paellas

Good variety and quality, more expensive but worth the cost.

Favorite Dish: Seafood Platter 30 Euros

• seamandrew's Profile Photo

El Rey de Gamba: Don't be fooled!

by seamandrew Updated Nov 21, 2003

El Rey de la Gamba

In the interests of being polite, I will not name names of the staff. This restaurant lures you in with promises of authentic food and a great experience but it was nothing like it. We were hesitant because there menu had no vegetarian options for Liz, but we fell trap to the lure. They were nice enough to prepare a vegetarian paella, which was mediocre at best. I ordered the striped bass and it wasn't very good either (not to mention cold).

Service was horrible. European restaurants tend to let you sit and camp for as long as you please. Our waitier pushed us out by rushing everything. I guess he was upset that we had to ask for clean glasses 2 times.

Lastly, we purposely sat as far away from people (the restaurant was not crowded by any means) to avoid the cigarette smoke (we made that clear to the waiter). To get us out, he purposely sat someone right next to us who smoked. We were very displeased with the food and especially the service.

Favorite Dish: Everything we tried wasn't very good. Perhaps you would fare better, but I recommend you skip this place.

• Lemonita's Profile Photo

El Rey de la Gamba: Delicious grilled seafood !!

by Lemonita Written Aug 31, 2002

We were first attracted to this restaurant because of the number of people eating here (compared to other nearby restaurants).

The ambience was nice : it was relaxing and you feel completely at ease there.

Favorite Dish: I shared a parillada with my Mom. It's a platter of grilled seafood and in this restaurant, it was a portion for two people.

I wished I had taken a picture of it because the platter of seafood really would have made everyone hungry. It looked delicious and it WAS delicious !
    We had fish, shrimps, mussels, etc..
    All this for around 33 euros !

Instant Answers: Barcelona