Govinda, Barcelona

• Belsaita's Profile Photo

Govinda: A charming Hindu restaurant

by Belsaita Updated Mar 7, 2006

Restaurant Govinda

We went there again a few days ago (Feb 2006). It keeps being a charming place with excellent food.

The atmosphere is relaxing and invites to conversation. Ambient music is smooth and varied (ethnic rhythms, mantras, and so on). All ingredients are lacto-vegetarians; they do not use meat, eggs or fish. Mostly Hindu specialties, but you can try as well some international dishes as crepes, pizzas, spring rolls, as well as a salad's buffet.

They do not serve any kind of alcoholic beverages (for this reason the place is banned for a few of my friends, not a real problem for me)

Favorite Dish: From Monday to Friday there is a lunch menu, on Weeekends the offer an special menu from a selection of their "a la carte" dishes: first and second course (to choose from 4 options each), hindu bread (to chose from 2) and one dessert, all for 12.50 ?.

I always have eaten a la carte. Dishes are copious, so a couple of appetizers to share and a main dish was more than enough. I love their homemade lassis (specially the plain one, with some salt and pepper on top, but I always ask to have it less salty).

• FruitLover's Profile Photo

Govinda: Vegetarian

by FruitLover Updated Aug 26, 2006

With lovely Isabel, local VTer Belsaita up to her recommendation.

Compared to CATASTROPHIC situation of Vegetarian tourists in Spain (click the link) - I was really lucky to have real vegetarian restaurant at all. I began to appreciate this after leaving the city to Madrid and Toledo.

In Barcelona you have many of them, unlike all other places I visited in Spain.

• Tracyden's Profile Photo

Govinda: vegetarian restaurant

by Tracyden Written Dec 28, 2010

We'd seen Govinda advertised on websites - but we struggled to actually find it - for reference it's right near the Decathlon shop- I think we must have walked past it three times without noticing it.

It's a vegetarian curry restaurant, it's small and cosy with a strong smell of incense. It seems to be mainly visited by the local student population.

Please note that the restaurant doesn't serve alcohol.

I ordered the mushroom and paneer dish - it was very mild- too mild really and I was disappointed at how little paneer there was.

• Govinda: Watch Out!

by dumper Written Jul 2, 2008

I have to say we had a very different experience here. I'll start positive and say the service (waiters) was good, but that is all. If you don't have the fixed menu, it can be expensive. Concentrating on just the food, we found it bland and uninspiring: They use cubed frozen vegetables, frozen peas, flour wraps (they pretend they are chapatis! What a joke!) - basically anything that is cheap and easy to prepare is used.

By far the worst point though was that one of our chapatis (ie a flour wrap which they fry) had about 4 MOULD spots on it. When we complained, the head guy (manager?) told us it was parsley! This was complete and utter rubbish. It was MOULD! We will not be going back there.

Summary: Poor food quality spiced up with a bit of mould!

Favorite Dish: The water.

• yogb's Profile Photo

Govinda, Barcelona: Warning

by yogb Written Feb 18, 2009

If you come across this review, feel yourself very lucky.
    Govinda claims to be Indian restaurent...Well there is huge problem in this concept..
    Went to this restaurent and could not find anything related to India...
    Staff was not India..thats ok..Music was not Indian thats also ok...But the most important thing was
    food was not Indian.
    Indian food often consist of vearios species with nice aroma and delicious curry. Food we ordered here was bland with tomato puree.
    The Daal-tarka (gram soup) we ordered was nowhere close to Indian kitchen taste..

If you are looking for Indian restaurent Govinda is not the one..But if you are looking for restaurent which serves food then you can try here

Instant Answers: Barcelona

Comments

Hotels Near Govinda
4.5 out of 5 stars