Les Quatre Gats, Barcelona

inside the dining area
    Codfish
  • "4 Gats"
    by nyonnetti
  • Les Quatra Gats: Dont order wine at this place!

by peter15feb Written Sep 8, 2013

Visiting Picasso's hangout was a thrill for us. The restaurant was really full of character but the waiter service was extremely rude to the point where you think there must be some sort of scam going on. I ordered red wine from the menu (pointed it out) and it was 16 euros, showed the waitress exactly what we wanted and when she brought the bill, the restaurant charged us 50 Euros for the bottle saying it was what we had ordered. The manager came as he could see we were angry and said it was a misunderstanding and offered us a bottle of champagne (cheap fizzy wine!). We paid the bill and left feeling totally scammed!!

Favorite Dish: The whole evening was spoilt because of what happened, The food was OK and overpriced but we expected that and we knew what we were paying for food at least!

• Les Quatre Gats: Waiters bark and throw down cutlery

by fdr315 Written Nov 12, 2012

I visited the establishment, anticipating the fabled ambience. (I'm a Picasso/modernisme enthusiast, to say the least. I've read up on the restaurant and its former theater).

The service was utterly horrendous. And that's an understatement.

Listen, I've worked as a waiter before. I understand how trying and taxing the job can be. But at Les Quatres Gats, the waiters were indifferent and rude. They would bark at the customer, exuding impatience and shrugged when probed for recommendations. The waiters would even throw cutlery on to the table. (Their lack of minimal respect stunned me). When we're paying top-dollar for the entrées, adequate service is expected. The restaurant utterly disappoints.

(Peruse the [above] reviews if you don't believe me).

'Tis a shame, considering the place's folkloric history. I don't recommend, at all.

• El Quatre Gats: A culinary disaster

by nikiri Updated Mar 19, 2012

There was something uncomfortably artificial about the way we were served by the waiters. As if they were arduously performing mechanical tasks with an air of ritualised concentration in a non-existent royal court. The wine was bad and the food even worse. My partner's meat knife was blunt. What we ordered was distinctly overpriced. The otherwise interesting "old-world" ambience couldn't compensate for the dismal impression we left this restaurant with. As we discovered, there are much better places to go to.

• Les quatre gats: Horrible experience

by cico55 Written Sep 20, 2011

When you enter you find you attracted by the piano music, the XIX century atmosphere and the art decorations on the walls mixed to ancient photos. But the local is busy, crowded by tourists and the waiters never see you. The food is embarassing. Croquettes without right flavour, fish embedded in savours that make of it a stranger, even the crema catalana is bad

Favorite Dish: All the dishes are bad or mediocres

• Work Abroad
    • Singles

• le Quatre Gats: Extrmely overrated

by terry54 Written Jul 26, 2011

We went to the restaurant with great expectations, but our experience was not the best. The ambiace was nice, but they served us the wrong food and then took forever to bring me a cold (from the refrigerator cold) crepe with seafood, (only the ends were hot). Then my husband ordered a brandy, no special brand, and they charged us 35 euros ($55.80 US) for it. The manager came when he saw we were upset about somthing and just said that that was the price. We would never recommend this restaurant to anyone

• VDElvis's Profile Photo

Els Quatre Gats: My favourite restaurant in Barcelona

by VDElvis Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Els Quatre Gats

This is a great restaurant near Placa de Catalunya. Great ambiance, great food, great drinks, friendly staff, this place has it all. There is a pianist playing during dinner, and the restaurant has a diverse menu filled with local cuisine and some international cuisine as well.

• tojoh's Profile Photo

Les Quatre Gats: An exceptional dinner!!

by tojoh Updated Apr 4, 2011

The bar

There are regular restaurants, and there are those that has turned into institutions. I have no clear view how and why they have gained this status, but it has something to do with history and tradition. Els Quatre Gats has achieved this status as it encapsules the rich artistic traditions in Barcelona. Salvador Dalí and Pablo Picasso went here and paid (i.e. before they became famous), as many other less famous artists, their dinner with paintings. Els Quatre Gats captures, in my mind the very essence of Gaudís Barcelona. And the food and service is excellent too.
    Eating at Els Quatre Gats is a feast, and the interior is an important part of the experience. As you are led through the bar you enter a large bright yellow room, with a roof covered with white tiles. Stairs lead up to a narrow gallery where you can get the most romantic tables for two overlooking the restaurant. Chairs made from dark wood and white tables creates a classic style. The walls are covered with pictures with many different motives, and quite a number of them are memories from when a celebrity visited the restaurant.
    A wonderful contribution to a great evening is the live music. A man by the piano and an old violinist played classic café style music, and everyone seemed to enjoy it.
    Brilliant service from a polite and professional staff. Our English speaking waiter was of great help and a white wine that was perfect to our food. We did not wait long to be served and all that was served was steaming hot.

Favorite Dish: The food was as close to perfection as possibly could come. I chose duck mi-cuit with apple and Cumberland sauce, and Terje ordered a "Escalivada" baked bell pepper and aubergines. The slices of semi cooked duck liver was delicious, and the sweet apple and the homemade cumberland sauce with plenty of orange zest provided the necessary acidity to cut the richness of the livers.
    We chose the same main course - salt cod with Catalan spinach and honey aioli. The combination of the ingredients used was highly unusual. The salted cod, perfectly prepared was placed on top of the spinach. On top you had a slice of apple topped with honey aioli. The saltiness of the fish was perfectly balanced by the mild sweetness from the apple and the honey aioli. The sauce on the plate was a mild tomato sauce garnished by preserved sweet fruits. This dish was most extraordinary culinary experience, I have had for years. The dry white wine was perfect to this dish. If you like fish, order this dish - you will be amazed!!
    Terje ordered the Crema Catalana and I chose a fresh fruit mousse. It was a perfect end of a great evening.

• Wine Tasting

• Les Quatre Gats: Superb food

by Molly81 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This Picasso haunt is a must if in Barcelona. Went there on a Friday night (not realising) at 10.00pm without a reservation and although we had to wait 40 mins to get seated, we were supplied with free wine and the waiter was very friendly. Although on first appearance this restaurant seems very small, once lead through to the back it opens out into a large dinning hall with gallery seating area running around the perimeter. The hall is a bustling area with a piano which serenades you through dinner. We where lucky to get a seat on the gallery which can only seat table of two, were the menu was promptly brought to us. The menu has both a Spanish section and a section in English so you know exactly what you are getting. The food was absolutely fantastic the best I have eaten and although it is pricey for Spain its equivalent to a nice pub meal in England. The house red wine was very pleasant as well. The staff were very cheerful and helpful and the course where brought out quickly and the presentation was brilliant.

If you want a nice night out i would recommend going here for the evening

Favorite Dish: Our favourite dish here was the started of Duck Mi-Cuit with apple and Cumberland sauce; it simply melted in your mouth and was full of flavour. For the main course was the Iberian Pork fillet with apple raisin and raspberry sauce, this was just fantastic the flavours complimented each other wonderfully and pork was very tender. The deserts where very good, the after eight one was rich with dark chocolate and the cheesecake with red fruit coils was the best I have had, with the actual texture of a sponge cake.

Altogether our night started slow it culminated in culinary delight.

• Architecture

• dRgonZo279's Profile Photo

Els Quatre Gats: Expensively Bland.

by dRgonZo279 Written Aug 13, 2010

I expected a lot more of this place than what we ended up getting. I imagine like most people touring about Barcelona, we were drawn here by it's back story. Picasso and his buddys used to hang out here. That's all well and good but it surely isn't the same as it once was now. With the touristy back story, the restaurant has touristy prices (expect to pay around 80euro for a 3 course meal with 1 drink..). For the money, you can definitely eat in many better places in Barcelona. Basically the only reason to come here is if your a fan of Picasso and want to check out his old haunts. Otherwise, steer clear. The food here was average at best with prices that would imply you were getting something of a much higher standard. Also, beware of the bread that's on your table when you arrive. We didnt touch ours and still got charged 4euros for it. Robbery! We went here on our last night though and at 11pm with an early start to catch a flight in the morning, I really didnt have the energy to start arguing about the bill. Keep an eye on that though and try and get a seat upstairs if you can. Our seat up there was the only highlight of a pretty bland evening. Also, if you're ordering beer, another thing to be wary of his how little beer you actually get in your glass. I ordered 2 beers and both times the head took about half the glass. Terrible..

Favorite Dish: The meat cannelloni for starter was alright. Better than the ultra bland duck confit for the main course.

• Beaches

• Els 4 Gats, Barcelona, Spain: Memorable dinner

by sharonsalceda Written May 27, 2010

My husband and I were in a rush to get to the Palau de la Musica to see a fabulous Flamenco Performance. We told the hostess that we only had 1 hr. and 15 mins. and were wondering if we had time to be served. They treated us like royalty. Great Service and delicious, so delicious I rushed through it not to leave any behind. I had Black Rice with squid which is a typical dish made with squid ink. My husband had a dish made of octipus. Both dishes were delicious and perfectly prepared. I am shocked at other reviews on this restaurant. We were sorry we could not find the time to return during our visit. The decor was very typically Spain, a must see. I felt the price was very reasonalble.

Favorite Dish: Try the Black Rice with Squid.

• hmsathawane's Profile Photo

4 Gats: Lousy service and horrible food.

by hmsathawane Written Sep 4, 2009

I just got back from this highly recommended place and can not complain enough. I am a vegetarian and try to eat healthy. I understand my choices are limited especially in Spain, but this place was simply horrible even to my friends who had non-veg food.

Lets start with the service. They guy dripped water over my head and red wine not only over the table, but also the menu I was reading. He dropped red wine over one of my friends' shirt. These guys are so busy, they whisk away completely not aware of the stuff they do. Its as if they are in hurry to turn over customers. Not really sure if I can say that because we all came in two groups. The first group finished their dinner even before ours arrived. Not really sure why it took so long for them to get the food. Later when I was talking to my friend sitting next to me, this waiter barged in dumped the food on the table and left. Then he served my dish to my other friend. When I wanted to move the dish towards me, he grabbed my hand and did it himself. However it was too late, I had already touched a plate that was too hot. Not that it created a major injury, but this guy, Pepe, did not seem sorry or offered any help. He simply whisked away.

Enough about the service... lets talk about the food. They charged over 10 euros for a dish that had four slices of cheese, a little olive oil and pieces of bread. Not really sure why such a simple appetizer should cost so much. My veggie dish, spinach pasta was tasteless and full of cheese. Initially,, when I was going through the menu, I realized that I only have two veggie choices, both of them loaded with cheese. A lot of my other non-veggie eating friends also complained about their food... although I can not really describe how they felt.

I am sorry to say this... but after paying over 30 euros for such a ***ty dish, I had to go to McDonald's and satisfy my hunger with McFlurry. In the US, I would go to McDonald's as a last resort... however, I guess I can now appreciate some positive things about McDonald's.

If you are going to this place in a big group... lets say 6+, DO NOT GO.

Favorite Dish: NONE

• 4 cats: crowded messy and not worthy to go for dinner

by opapa Written Apr 23, 2009

toooooo crowded... maybe because of too many tourists, level of service is quite poor.

they throw the dishes, fork and knife.. not polite at all!

we ordered one rabbit, taste is so so,eatable

.paella is poor, too much sauce. only one shrimp even...cost 14.50 Euro.

one big fish...did't finish... fish is not fresh...I think ..sauce is fine. too big to finish...cost 24 euro/ dish, never order this!!! be aware!

Favorite Dish: nothing all of them just quite soso .. only eatable.

never go for dinnes to this restaurant.. if you want to feel it, better choose to have a coffee
    in the afternoon.

• Trains

• nyonnetti's Profile Photo

Les Quatre Gats (The 4 Gats): Hang out with Picasso!

by nyonnetti Written Oct 12, 2008

This is such a great place to eat and a must for those visiting Barcelona. This was Picasso's hang out when he was young and it is here that he would reveal his paintings and connect with other artists of his time. The sign is actually a replica of one of his paintings. The restaurant has great ambience- very "art nouveau." I think we might have been a bit underdressed for the dining area (there is a bar area in the front) so I recommend smart casual.

Favorite Dish: I had the codfish and my brother had the Sea Bass- we both loved our dishes and highly recommend them.

• Les Quatre Gats: Let's have a drink there, and no more

by MilouDurkheim Written Sep 6, 2008

The place is interesting, but just look to the walls and decorum.
    The plates are expensive, if you consider the quality.
    I took a poulpo and a cabrit:
    lack of taste and the cabrit was cooked and clod: that means it is coming from the freezer.
    Have here a glass of wine or a beer: you will avoid frustration

• Les Quatre Gats: An artistic place to be

by blint Written Dec 21, 2007

More than the food what this place is famous for is being the hangout of many famous Catalan and Spanish artists including Picasso and Rusiñol.

It is said that Picasso even designed the menu cover! You can see some of these famous artists work on the walls as well

You can come here just to have a drink or sample some traditional Catalan food, though as many people just want to be here for the historical connections, it isn't that cheap.

There are also art exhibitions and live music nights too. It's a real cultural hot spot.

Open 8 am to 2pm

Menu del Dia from 13.00 to 16.00h, 11.97 € + 7VA. Includes Starter, main course, dessert and something to drink.

Favorite Dish: Crema Catalana a local dessert which is well worth trying and why not here!

Instant Answers: Barcelona

• Nov 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I visited the establishment, anticipating the fabled ambience. (I'm a Picasso/modernisme enthusiast, to say the least).

But the service was utterly horrendous. And that's an understatement.

Listen, I've worked as a waiter before. I understand how trying and taxing the job can be. But at Les Quatres Gats, the waiters were indifferent and rude. They would bark at the customer, exuding impatience and shrugged when probed for recommendations. When we're paying top-dollar for the entrées, adequate service is expected. The restaurant utterly disappoints.

'Tis a shame, considering the place's folkloric history. I don't recommend.