Les Quatre Gats, Barcelona

inside the dining area
  • "4 Gats"
    Codfish
  • Anya_D's Profile Photo

Els Quatre Gats (The Four...

by Anya_D Updated Aug 25, 2002

Els Quatre Gats (The Four Cats)! A fondest memory of Barcelona! It's a restaurant where Picasso had his first exhibition in 1900. 'Quatre gats', or four cats, is a Catalan colloquialism meaning 'only a few people'. A veeery pleasant place! And the food is really delicious. It is rather expensive, however. But we live only once!

Favorite Dish: I love seafood, so i always ordered it. Try salad 'Four cats'. I do not remeber the names of other dishes, though. And wine was perfect, too.

• Sakura_Kobe's Profile Photo

‚SGats?iEls Quatre Gats?j: ‚SGats?iEls Quatre Gats?j

by Sakura_Kobe Updated Aug 24, 2002

This is the most famous restaurant in Barcelona, because It maintains the same traditional interior as the time Picasso and other artists hang out.

Instant Answers: Barcelona

• Nov 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I visited the establishment, anticipating the fabled ambience. (I'm a Picasso/modernisme enthusiast, to say the least).

But the service was utterly horrendous. And that's an understatement.

Listen, I've worked as a waiter before. I understand how trying and taxing the job can be. But at Les Quatres Gats, the waiters were indifferent and rude. They would bark at the customer, exuding impatience and shrugged when probed for recommendations. When we're paying top-dollar for the entrées, adequate service is expected. The restaurant utterly disappoints.

'Tis a shame, considering the place's folkloric history. I don't recommend.