Les Quatre Gats, Barcelona

inside the dining area
  • "4 Gats"
    Codfish
  • venteca's Profile Photo

Les Quatre Gats: Culture and nice food!

by venteca Written Dec 20, 2007

This restaurant is a must if you like to combine an excelent meal and local culture. This place has over 100 years and it was here where young Pablo Picasso (with 17 years old then) has showned for the first time his work in public. It was also a place where famous catalunyan politicians had their gatherings to "conspire" against country goverment.
    The food is excelent and the environment is very cultural. I strongly recomend!
    Ask to be served by Mario! A great portuguese guy that is very friendly and very professional!

• El Quatre Gats: A culinary disaster

by nikiri Updated Mar 19, 2012

There was something uncomfortably artificial about the way we were served by the waiters. As if they were arduously performing mechanical tasks with an air of ritualised concentration in a non-existent royal court. The wine was bad and the food even worse. My partner's meat knife was blunt. What we ordered was distinctly overpriced. The otherwise interesting "old-world" ambience couldn't compensate for the dismal impression we left this restaurant with. As we discovered, there are much better places to go to.

• Bob_Shan's Profile Photo

Les Quatre Gats: Very tasty, a little bit expensive

by Bob_Shan Written Apr 27, 2005

4 Gats (4 cats)

Big restaurant, consist of 2 sections: cafeteria and restaurant. Nicely decorated, with copyies of some Picasso paintings. Service is very good.

Favorite Dish: Baked Lamb shoulder. Very well prepared meat with wonderful sauce.

• QuimG's Profile Photo

Els quatre gats (the four...

by QuimG Written Sep 1, 2002

Els quatre gats (the four cats)
    It is located in a modernist building, and was visited by Canals, Rusiñol, Darío and Picasso in 1897 when founded. The first menu was designed by Picasso.

Favorite Dish: Catalan cuisine

• le Quatre Gats: Extrmely overrated

by terry54 Written Jul 26, 2011

We went to the restaurant with great expectations, but our experience was not the best. The ambiace was nice, but they served us the wrong food and then took forever to bring me a cold (from the refrigerator cold) crepe with seafood, (only the ends were hot). Then my husband ordered a brandy, no special brand, and they charged us 35 euros ($55.80 US) for it. The manager came when he saw we were upset about somthing and just said that that was the price. We would never recommend this restaurant to anyone

• hmsathawane's Profile Photo

4 Gats: Lousy service and horrible food.

by hmsathawane Written Sep 4, 2009

I just got back from this highly recommended place and can not complain enough. I am a vegetarian and try to eat healthy. I understand my choices are limited especially in Spain, but this place was simply horrible even to my friends who had non-veg food.

Lets start with the service. They guy dripped water over my head and red wine not only over the table, but also the menu I was reading. He dropped red wine over one of my friends' shirt. These guys are so busy, they whisk away completely not aware of the stuff they do. Its as if they are in hurry to turn over customers. Not really sure if I can say that because we all came in two groups. The first group finished their dinner even before ours arrived. Not really sure why it took so long for them to get the food. Later when I was talking to my friend sitting next to me, this waiter barged in dumped the food on the table and left. Then he served my dish to my other friend. When I wanted to move the dish towards me, he grabbed my hand and did it himself. However it was too late, I had already touched a plate that was too hot. Not that it created a major injury, but this guy, Pepe, did not seem sorry or offered any help. He simply whisked away.

Enough about the service... lets talk about the food. They charged over 10 euros for a dish that had four slices of cheese, a little olive oil and pieces of bread. Not really sure why such a simple appetizer should cost so much. My veggie dish, spinach pasta was tasteless and full of cheese. Initially,, when I was going through the menu, I realized that I only have two veggie choices, both of them loaded with cheese. A lot of my other non-veggie eating friends also complained about their food... although I can not really describe how they felt.

I am sorry to say this... but after paying over 30 euros for such a ***ty dish, I had to go to McDonald's and satisfy my hunger with McFlurry. In the US, I would go to McDonald's as a last resort... however, I guess I can now appreciate some positive things about McDonald's.

If you are going to this place in a big group... lets say 6+, DO NOT GO.

Favorite Dish: NONE

• Anya_D's Profile Photo

Els Quatre Gats (The Four...

by Anya_D Updated Aug 25, 2002

Els Quatre Gats (The Four Cats)! A fondest memory of Barcelona! It's a restaurant where Picasso had his first exhibition in 1900. 'Quatre gats', or four cats, is a Catalan colloquialism meaning 'only a few people'. A veeery pleasant place! And the food is really delicious. It is rather expensive, however. But we live only once!

Favorite Dish: I love seafood, so i always ordered it. Try salad 'Four cats'. I do not remeber the names of other dishes, though. And wine was perfect, too.

• Les Quatre Gats: Waiters bark and throw down cutlery

by fdr315 Written Nov 12, 2012

I visited the establishment, anticipating the fabled ambience. (I'm a Picasso/modernisme enthusiast, to say the least. I've read up on the restaurant and its former theater).

The service was utterly horrendous. And that's an understatement.

Listen, I've worked as a waiter before. I understand how trying and taxing the job can be. But at Les Quatres Gats, the waiters were indifferent and rude. They would bark at the customer, exuding impatience and shrugged when probed for recommendations. The waiters would even throw cutlery on to the table. (Their lack of minimal respect stunned me). When we're paying top-dollar for the entrées, adequate service is expected. The restaurant utterly disappoints.

(Peruse the [above] reviews if you don't believe me).

'Tis a shame, considering the place's folkloric history. I don't recommend, at all.

• Les quatre gats: Horrible experience

by cico55 Written Sep 20, 2011

When you enter you find you attracted by the piano music, the XIX century atmosphere and the art decorations on the walls mixed to ancient photos. But the local is busy, crowded by tourists and the waiters never see you. The food is embarassing. Croquettes without right flavour, fish embedded in savours that make of it a stranger, even the crema catalana is bad

Favorite Dish: All the dishes are bad or mediocres

• Work Abroad
    • Singles

• Les Quatre Gats: Go somewhere else

by heart-to-heart Written Mar 22, 2005

The restaurant was once really great. We believe something changed and that it is only in it for the money nowadays. We guess you could be lucky with the food, but when we were there we were not. And we had to pay a lot for it.

It is a nice place but when there are 150 guests it arrears to be an effective machine with little or no sign of soul.

• Les Quatre Gats: Let's have a drink there, and no more

by MilouDurkheim Written Sep 6, 2008

The place is interesting, but just look to the walls and decorum.
    The plates are expensive, if you consider the quality.
    I took a poulpo and a cabrit:
    lack of taste and the cabrit was cooked and clod: that means it is coming from the freezer.
    Have here a glass of wine or a beer: you will avoid frustration

• VDElvis's Profile Photo

Els Quatre Gats: My favourite restaurant in Barcelona

by VDElvis Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Els Quatre Gats

This is a great restaurant near Placa de Catalunya. Great ambiance, great food, great drinks, friendly staff, this place has it all. There is a pianist playing during dinner, and the restaurant has a diverse menu filled with local cuisine and some international cuisine as well.

• Business Travel

• Les Quatre Gats: You can do much better than this place.

by stu822 Written Oct 19, 2007

We have just returned from dinner at Els Quatre Gats and were very dissapointed.
    Service was poor, our starters arrived before our bead, wine, etc. and my wifes was lukewarm. I had to return my main dish (salt cod) because it was cold. We had to ask several times for an icebucket and ended up pouring our own wine. The food was OK but overpriced and the ambiance was far from that expressed by other reviewers. There are many fine restaurants in Barcelona. Skip this one!

• Les Quatre Gats: Superb food

by Molly81 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This Picasso haunt is a must if in Barcelona. Went there on a Friday night (not realising) at 10.00pm without a reservation and although we had to wait 40 mins to get seated, we were supplied with free wine and the waiter was very friendly. Although on first appearance this restaurant seems very small, once lead through to the back it opens out into a large dinning hall with gallery seating area running around the perimeter. The hall is a bustling area with a piano which serenades you through dinner. We where lucky to get a seat on the gallery which can only seat table of two, were the menu was promptly brought to us. The menu has both a Spanish section and a section in English so you know exactly what you are getting. The food was absolutely fantastic the best I have eaten and although it is pricey for Spain its equivalent to a nice pub meal in England. The house red wine was very pleasant as well. The staff were very cheerful and helpful and the course where brought out quickly and the presentation was brilliant.

If you want a nice night out i would recommend going here for the evening

Favorite Dish: Our favourite dish here was the started of Duck Mi-Cuit with apple and Cumberland sauce; it simply melted in your mouth and was full of flavour. For the main course was the Iberian Pork fillet with apple raisin and raspberry sauce, this was just fantastic the flavours complimented each other wonderfully and pork was very tender. The deserts where very good, the after eight one was rich with dark chocolate and the cheesecake with red fruit coils was the best I have had, with the actual texture of a sponge cake.

Altogether our night started slow it culminated in culinary delight.

• Architecture

• Els Quatre Gats: Els Quatre Gats

by JenHartnett Written Aug 25, 2002

This place was frequented by Picasso and Miro, and has fantastic artwork all over. It's got a lot of character and a great atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: oh, anything -- I'm vegetarian so it's a little tough in Spain but I love the tapas -- olives, asparagus, manchego cheese, and of course the WINE!

Instant Answers: Barcelona

• Nov 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I visited the establishment, anticipating the fabled ambience. (I'm a Picasso/modernisme enthusiast, to say the least).

But the service was utterly horrendous. And that's an understatement.

Listen, I've worked as a waiter before. I understand how trying and taxing the job can be. But at Les Quatres Gats, the waiters were indifferent and rude. They would bark at the customer, exuding impatience and shrugged when probed for recommendations. When we're paying top-dollar for the entrées, adequate service is expected. The restaurant utterly disappoints.

'Tis a shame, considering the place's folkloric history. I don't recommend.