Les Quatre Gats, Barcelona

inside the dining area
  • "4 Gats"
    Codfish
  • hmsathawane's Profile Photo

4 Gats: Lousy service and horrible food.

by hmsathawane Written Sep 4, 2009

I just got back from this highly recommended place and can not complain enough. I am a vegetarian and try to eat healthy. I understand my choices are limited especially in Spain, but this place was simply horrible even to my friends who had non-veg food.

Lets start with the service. They guy dripped water over my head and red wine not only over the table, but also the menu I was reading. He dropped red wine over one of my friends' shirt. These guys are so busy, they whisk away completely not aware of the stuff they do. Its as if they are in hurry to turn over customers. Not really sure if I can say that because we all came in two groups. The first group finished their dinner even before ours arrived. Not really sure why it took so long for them to get the food. Later when I was talking to my friend sitting next to me, this waiter barged in dumped the food on the table and left. Then he served my dish to my other friend. When I wanted to move the dish towards me, he grabbed my hand and did it himself. However it was too late, I had already touched a plate that was too hot. Not that it created a major injury, but this guy, Pepe, did not seem sorry or offered any help. He simply whisked away.

Enough about the service... lets talk about the food. They charged over 10 euros for a dish that had four slices of cheese, a little olive oil and pieces of bread. Not really sure why such a simple appetizer should cost so much. My veggie dish, spinach pasta was tasteless and full of cheese. Initially,, when I was going through the menu, I realized that I only have two veggie choices, both of them loaded with cheese. A lot of my other non-veggie eating friends also complained about their food... although I can not really describe how they felt.

I am sorry to say this... but after paying over 30 euros for such a ***ty dish, I had to go to McDonald's and satisfy my hunger with McFlurry. In the US, I would go to McDonald's as a last resort... however, I guess I can now appreciate some positive things about McDonald's.

If you are going to this place in a big group... lets say 6+, DO NOT GO.

Favorite Dish: NONE

• Les quatre gats: Horrible experience

by cico55 Written Sep 20, 2011

When you enter you find you attracted by the piano music, the XIX century atmosphere and the art decorations on the walls mixed to ancient photos. But the local is busy, crowded by tourists and the waiters never see you. The food is embarassing. Croquettes without right flavour, fish embedded in savours that make of it a stranger, even the crema catalana is bad

Favorite Dish: All the dishes are bad or mediocres

• Singles
    • Work Abroad
    • Business Travel

• Les Quatre Gats: Let's have a drink there, and no more

by MilouDurkheim Written Sep 6, 2008

The place is interesting, but just look to the walls and decorum.
    The plates are expensive, if you consider the quality.
    I took a poulpo and a cabrit:
    lack of taste and the cabrit was cooked and clod: that means it is coming from the freezer.
    Have here a glass of wine or a beer: you will avoid frustration

• Les Quatre Gats: You can do much better than this place.

by stu822 Written Oct 19, 2007

We have just returned from dinner at Els Quatre Gats and were very dissapointed.
    Service was poor, our starters arrived before our bead, wine, etc. and my wifes was lukewarm. I had to return my main dish (salt cod) because it was cold. We had to ask several times for an icebucket and ended up pouring our own wine. The food was OK but overpriced and the ambiance was far from that expressed by other reviewers. There are many fine restaurants in Barcelona. Skip this one!

• Les Quatre Gats: Superb food

by Molly81 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This Picasso haunt is a must if in Barcelona. Went there on a Friday night (not realising) at 10.00pm without a reservation and although we had to wait 40 mins to get seated, we were supplied with free wine and the waiter was very friendly. Although on first appearance this restaurant seems very small, once lead through to the back it opens out into a large dinning hall with gallery seating area running around the perimeter. The hall is a bustling area with a piano which serenades you through dinner. We where lucky to get a seat on the gallery which can only seat table of two, were the menu was promptly brought to us. The menu has both a Spanish section and a section in English so you know exactly what you are getting. The food was absolutely fantastic the best I have eaten and although it is pricey for Spain its equivalent to a nice pub meal in England. The house red wine was very pleasant as well. The staff were very cheerful and helpful and the course where brought out quickly and the presentation was brilliant.

If you want a nice night out i would recommend going here for the evening

Favorite Dish: Our favourite dish here was the started of Duck Mi-Cuit with apple and Cumberland sauce; it simply melted in your mouth and was full of flavour. For the main course was the Iberian Pork fillet with apple raisin and raspberry sauce, this was just fantastic the flavours complimented each other wonderfully and pork was very tender. The deserts where very good, the after eight one was rich with dark chocolate and the cheesecake with red fruit coils was the best I have had, with the actual texture of a sponge cake.

Altogether our night started slow it culminated in culinary delight.

• Architecture

Instant Answers: Barcelona

• Nov 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I visited the establishment, anticipating the fabled ambience. (I'm a Picasso/modernisme enthusiast, to say the least).

But the service was utterly horrendous. And that's an understatement.

Listen, I've worked as a waiter before. I understand how trying and taxing the job can be. But at Les Quatres Gats, the waiters were indifferent and rude. They would bark at the customer, exuding impatience and shrugged when probed for recommendations. When we're paying top-dollar for the entrées, adequate service is expected. The restaurant utterly disappoints.

'Tis a shame, considering the place's folkloric history. I don't recommend.