Mikel Etxea, Barcelona

1.5 out of 5 stars 5 Reviews

c/Ferran, 15 / Ramblas,45 93 318 96 93

• Check out the Hams... (Not us... Top of pic)
    Check out the Hams... (Not us... Top of...
    by Alex-Perth
  • Chorizo.. My Favourite.. Made extra large for me!
    Chorizo.. My Favourite.. Made extra...
    The Happy Friendliest Staff in Barcelona
  • Mikel Etxea: A restaurant to avoid in Barcelona Spain

by HF12 Updated Aug 4, 2009

Located on Las Ramblas the main pedestrian thoroughfare in Barcelona which is very busy with tourists, the restaurant has tables outdoors on the "Ramblas" as well as a medium sized indoor dinning room.

The restaurant advertizes the typical fare: 2 Tapas + Paella + sangria (cheap chilled wine mixed with orange juice and slices of fruit) for 12.95 Euros (aprox. USD 18.5 dollars) per person.

The food is very average, but what you should expect for the price, given the location. The only problem is that the management changes the slate on which the menu and prices are written while you are eating.

The result is that the bill is quite different from the advertized price:

4 Paellas, 2 Sangrias, 2 small bread baskets (yes you are charged for bread) 2x 0.5 liters of water cost Euros 90.20 (aprox. US$ 130).

The Sangrias were billed at 14.00 Euros (about USD$ 20.0) each, when they were supposed to be included in the menu.

When I complained to the waiter and to the "manager" they told me that the "advertized menu" was only offered indoors. Of course this is nonsense, indoors they don't offer you the set meal, they present the "a la carte" menu at much higher prices.

You expect poor value for money on a busy tourist spot like this but to be mislead so brazenly is quite infuriating.

It's a pity municipal authorities don't curb this sort of practive because Barcelona is a great city to visit but these experiences are irritating.

• Mikel Etxea: A bad restaurant there to rip off tourists

by mikelearns2rock Written May 30, 2010

My friend and I went to this restaurant because we saw the sign on their doorway saying 'Paella for 12.95 euros'. We ordered two portion of paella, 4 tapas, two cokes and asked for some bread. The tapas were OK. The paellas tasted stale and salty (the seafood and chicken in it were very over-cooked, not fresh at all).

We were surprised when the bill came. The total was 65 euros. They charged 6.20 euros for each coke and 3 euros for a small basket of bread. We complained to the waiter, but he said that's the price.

We paid the bill, but were annoyed that we paid a lot of money for the food that's not even good. So, if you happen to read this, please do avoid this restaurant.

Our experience in Barcelona was great in general. There are many nice restaurants offering tasty food and good price. We had a dinner at a restaurant on Pg de Gracias with similar food ordered as above only cost us 25 euros.

The tip is always make sure what you order is on the menu and has a price for it. There are restaurants out there to rip off tourists. And don't give them the opportunity to do that.

Have a wonderful time in Spain!

Favorite Dish: None.

• Alex-Perth's Profile Photo

MIKEL ETXEA: Best Tapas in Barcelona

by Alex-Perth Updated Apr 4, 2011

This Tapas bar was different to the other one Sagardi as the Tapas are displayed behind the counter and you point to what you want and they put it on a plate for you. A bit more expensive too where they cost around 2.50 Euro each...
    Drinks are good value, from big goblets of Sangria for 3 euros to a tasty rosé wine served in tumblers for 2.75 euros.
    Kerry and I made friends with the Bar Staff and we ate lots... We also got a couple of freebies!!! We were lucky enoug to get a real Spanish Sangria made especially for us... VERY STRONG... So when we had our feast of the deliscious tapas on display here, we staggered out to go see the sights of Barcelona... This Tapas bar was the best we found and went again the following night... The staf were friendly and efficient.
    There’s a more formal restaurant at the back, with proper dishes, and on the way to the toilets the passageway is made of perspex... A bit daunting when you've had a couple of drinks but still an experience...
    This is a noisy, lively place – great for a snack after exploring the Ramblas or the Gothic Quarter, or before, best to go after exploring as you probably won't remember anything after the Sangrias... The interior is rustic charm of a Basque country inn, with wooden ceiling beams, big wooden tables and giant barrels. Behind the bar are huge ham legs hanging from the ceiling...

Favorite Dish: There are about 50 different tapas on offer at any one time (and they vary from day to day), from meaty tasters such as bacon-wrapped chorizo MY FAVOURITE (see photo) to fishy dishes including whitebait and tuna-filled gherkins and various vegetable, bean and seafood concoctions. You can also get plates of patatas bravas, ham or delicious Idiazabal cheese. I love the Padrinos they had, which are lightly fried in oil... And Again have yet to get "The Hot One"

Loved loved loved this bar, even got offered a job from the manager... Well we'll see... may be hard not to eat the yummy food... I would definietly put on a lot of weight if I worked here...

Chorizo.. My Favourite.. Made extra large for me! Fantastic Tapas and Sangria Check out the Hams... (Not us... Top of pic) So many yummy ones... The Happy Friendliest Staff in Barcelona
    • Singles

• Mikel Etxea: So expensive

by Yom445 Written Oct 5, 2011

Nous sommes aller avec un ami au "mikel etxea" car la déco interieur etait plutôt attrayante.
    On commande un verre de sangrilla et une bierre. On nous a servi d'office une bierre dans un verre de 1 litre a 13€ le verre.
    Ne sachant pas encore le prix de notre apéritif, on demande la carte des tapas et le serveur nous repond que toutes les tapas etaient sur une ardoise accroché au bar visible de la table.
    Comme le prix n'etait pas dessus, on demande le prix des tapas. Le serveur nous repond que toutes les tapas sont a 2.50€.
    En demandant l'addition, on voit que chacune des portions de tapas etait en faite entre 15 et 20€
    Quand on a demandé une explication, les 3 personnes en salle du bar sont venu et un des 3 nous a montré une petite brochette de jambon pour dire que c'etait cette brochette a 2.50€ ( qu'on a bien sur vu nul par sur la carte ).
    On a été forcé de payer 75€ pour 2 personnes pour 2 verres et 4 tapas
    Et pour cloturer le tout, on a eu le droit de se faire insulter de tout les noms car on a montrer notre facture a un groupe de français qui s'installait a une table et qui est reparti aussitôt.

• Mikel Etxea (Ferran and Rambla): Avoid this place!

by chrisleon Written Aug 26, 2012

Must be the worst place to choose when in Barcelona (the place we went was on c. Ferrran btw but I expect no differences to other locations). The food is miserable, the service is resumed to seating clients and robbing them of money while pretending to serve food and the prices are way to high for the worse than hypermarket sort of tapas served. We tried a few things, tapas, paella and I can assume everything else is just as bad. While there I have only seen unhappy customers leaving. A half liter of so called Sangria is EUR 7,50, with tax on top of it (like everything else on the menu, VAT is being added on to of the listed prices) but the price was not the worst part, the fact that it was only coloured water was. As already said by someone here, typical tourist trap with only mention that before now, I have never felt the need to write about one, even if I have seen a few so far, because it seems no one was so really bad. Save your money and go somewhere else. You won't be able to say you haven't been warned now.

Instant Answers: Barcelona

Comments

Hotels Near Mikel Etxea