Figueres - Salvador Dali, Barcelona

• dlandt's Profile Photo

Salvador Dali Museum in Figueres

by dlandt Updated Apr 4, 2011

Dali

I've got (or will have shortly) most of the information and pictures of this fabulous museum of art in my Figueres pages. I usually hate art museums, but this one was special. Dali had a unique style that impressed even me, the art unenthusiast. If you're going to do one artsy thing, make this the one.

Figueres is just a little bit more than an hour from Barcelona by car. Many tour busses make the trip each day. Most likely you can easily arrive by bus or train as well, but we had a car. By car, follow the E-15 (tollway) or N-11 (the local) north, then follow the signs to the city center.

• dlandt's Profile Photo

Salvador Dali Museum in Figueres

by dlandt Updated Apr 4, 2011

Signature work

The Salvador Dali Museum in Figueres is really spectacular. With 21 rooms of his work, including some which are very large, it is impossible not to be fascinated. I usually don't like to do too many things like this, and I admit the museum was very crowded after the tour busses came, but this isn't to be missed.

Salvador Dali lived and partially worked in and around Figueres. Very few people would fail to recognize the work I show here, with the dead clocks. Although he packs his work in symbolism, I don't really care. I FEEL when I look at a Dali, sometimes several different emotions at once. When you look at something and feel emotion, you're looking at art.

• xxsentiaxx's Profile Photo

Train trip to Salvador Dali

by xxsentiaxx Written Jun 11, 2009

I LOVE Salvador Dali. I have been to the museum in Florida and I have always wanted to go to the original museum in Spain. Since we had an entire day to kill, we decided to hop on the train and head out to Figueres. It felt like it took forever to get there, but I think it was less than 2 hours. The town is in the middle of nowhere and there wasn't anything else to do there except visit the museum. You know you're getting close when you start seeing the Dali statues around. The museum was huge, much bigger than the one in Florida, I guess that should be obvious since Dali had a hand in designing the museum. I typically hate museums but I Love Dali and there is so much more to see here than just paintings. Well, worth the trip. I bought a bunch of souvenirs from the gift shop before leaving.

• suzwa's Profile Photo

Teatre-Museu Dali

by suzwa Updated Apr 21, 2008

If you are planning to visit the Dali teatre-museu in Figueres, you can't really plan ahead unless you're in a big group - unfortunately the website will only allow group booking (of 25 people or more). It's weird because it will let you book in smaller numbers for some of the other Dali museums, but not that one.

But a lack of tickets shouldn't be a problem... when I went with a friend a couple of summers ago, we just turned up and queued for a while and it wasn't a problem that we didn't have a ticket in advance. However, it was big queue so be prepared to wait; we were there for over an hour, but it was the middle of summer, so I guess it might vary throughout the year?

As the museum closes at 5:15pm (and some of the rooms start to close a little before that time), I would recommend getting there before lunch rather than afterwards, so you have time to get round it all. The other bonus is that if you aim to get into the museum at around lunchtime, a lot of families with small children will have left to eat - when I went there were tons of kids! We took a snack and some drinks for while we waited in the queue - there is a supermarket quite near the bus station. so there's no need to carry snacks all the way from Barcelona if you're on a day trip!

The museum is less than 15 minutes walk from the train and bus stations.

Don;t forget to take a student card / pensioner's ID if you have it as you can get money off the ticket price.

• mstinawu's Profile Photo

A Great Place for Dali Fans

by mstinawu Written Oct 7, 2007

This is a great museum for any fan of Dali. It showcases his work from various stages of his life and when we got a ticket we also got admission to the jewelry museum right next door. That was also an amazing museum to visit. There were his designs sketched out along w/ the actual piece of jewelry produced based on his designs. Spectacular!

• jlpretty's Profile Photo

well worth the trip

by jlpretty Written Nov 5, 2006

We took a tourist bus to see the Salvador Dali museu. It is a must see if you are going to Barcelona. The art is incredible.
    On the way our bus stopped in Girona and a guide showed us around the city. It was a very pleasant stop and great way to break up the bus ride.

• NolaLou's Profile Photo

Hello Dali !

by NolaLou Written Apr 5, 2006

A popular day trip from Barcelona is to Figueres to visit the Dali Museum. I traveled there from Girona, not directly from Barcelona, but I understand it's a bit over an hour by train. From the train station it's about a 10 min. walk through town to the museum.

It's well worth the trip, even if you're not that farmiliar with Dali's works. Even the building itself is a work of art, and once inside , there are several floors of his works, and a courtyard that houses some of his sculpures.

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Salvador Dali

by gordonilla Updated Oct 31, 2005

Dali's very large egg

This is an exhibition which features much of the unknown work by Dali. Notably sculpture and printwork - it is well wortha visit.

I love his work and his style!

It is open every day from 10:00 to 22:00.

• o_z_l_e_m's Profile Photo

Salvador Dali Museum, Figueres

by o_z_l_e_m Written Oct 5, 2004

In this picture look towards the walls, there are BREAD s on the wall. Because Dali was very rich man and he always worried about being poor again.

Opening Times of the Dalí mueum:
    Summer: 9am-1:45
    Winter: 10:30 - 5:45
    Bookings at: +34 972 677 500

• o_z_l_e_m's Profile Photo

Salvador Dali Museum, Figueres

by o_z_l_e_m Written Oct 5, 2004

dali museum

Figueres, the birthplace of Dalí. This is where he built his own Museum in the Dalí style.

Dali wrote, "In Barcelona, you will eat the best fish of the Mediterranean. Add to this the true art of preparing dishes, which I do not hesitate to call philosophic and Homeric."

• Emke's Profile Photo

Figueres - Teatro-museu Dali

by Emke Updated Apr 9, 2004

Squinting rey Jaume 1: doesn't he look sharp?

Teatro-museu Dali is definately a must see when you're around in Catalunya. You can take the train from Barcelona to Figueres. It takes you about 1,5 hour by train.

Teatro-museu Dali is so much more than a museum. Can you think of any museum where you can actually walk on a camel, look through a loop and see the image of Mae West? In Teatro-museu Dali you can. The building is wonderful and the paintings and scupltures are marvellous.

Besides the museum there is nothing much to do in Figurueres.

It can be quite crowded in the museum. I heard that it´s the second most visited museum in Spain (after the Prado in Madrid).

Oh, you might wonder why I putted a picture of this statue by my Figueres tip. That´s because this statue stands in Figueres in a little park and it SQUINTS terribly!! We had a great laugh. The first time I went there I thought we saw it wrong because we drank too much Catalan Rose, but the second time I took this picture to prove it: he actually squints. That´s the story behind the picture, fascinating huh? ;-P

• Emke's Profile Photo

The painting of Gala

by Emke Written Apr 7, 2004

Gala

Look at the beautiful painting of Gala by Salvador Dali.

Notice the grave of Dali in the big hall. It is not easy to see, you must know where it is. People step on it not knowing they are actually on the grave of Dali.

In the souvenirshop of the museum you will find very nice Dali-things to buy.

• conny_bazen's Profile Photo

Go to the city Figueres to...

by conny_bazen Written Sep 2, 2002

Go to the city Figueres to visit the Museu Salvador Dali....it's really amazing....
    Remember that only during the summermonths the museum is open daily.....in oktober and during the wintertime it's closed at mondays...So we went twice: one time to see the outside and one time to see the inside.....It took us 1 and a half hour by train to get there....
    Never seen a place like that.....

• CASA-MUSEU SALVADOR...

by serap Written Aug 26, 2002

CASA-MUSEU SALVADOR DALIFigueres... In the 1960's and 70's Salvador Dali created the extraordinary Teatre-museu Dali here, the town where he was born.

• Sala de Mae West, a living...

by serap Written Aug 26, 2002

Sala de Mae West, a living room whose components, viewed from top spot, make up a portrait of Ms Wets8 i do not know who she is) a sofa fer her lips, two fire places for nostrils, two paintings of Paris for eyes.

Instant Answers: Barcelona