Nou Camp Stadium, Barcelona

Camp Nou
    Camp Nou
    More Than A Club
  • Henrik_rrb's Profile Photo

The biggest stadium I've ever seen...

by Henrik_rrb Updated Nov 30, 2006

Stadio Nou Camp

Part I

I went to Barcelona to visit my little brother that I hadn't seen in two months, but apart from that the thing I was mostly looking forward to was the fact that I finally would be able to see a game at stadio Nou Camp.
    I had seen Barcelona plenty of times before, in Sweden, in Italy and in Spain, but never on homeground.

The stadium is Europe's biggest, taking around 98 000 spectators (exactly 98 934 actually) and is quite something special!

I went there to see the Champions League-game between Barcelona and Panathinaikos (Greece). Great stadium, great amount of spectators (around 60 000) and a fantastic game.

Barcelona won 5-0, but still the atmosphere was crap. Definately the worst I've ever heard/seen at a game this big. The only one singing a bit was the Greek away supporters, but when Barcelona early on did 2-0 also they stopped singing.

Apart from that there were only a few chants of "Barca Barca Barca" from the Barcelona faithtful. Embarassing...

But the evening was magic anyway, and it's definately something everyone who have even the slightest interest in football should visit!

Around the stadium you can find a lot of different souvenirs for sale, but they are both fake and expensive. Three-four double the price from what is for sale in Italy before the games..

Something we didn't have the time to do, but I still can recommend, is a visit to the stadium on a day when there isn't a game. Then you can visit the FC Barcelona museum, with all their silverware and also old souvenirs and memories from the past. It's also possible to take a tour, and going into the stadium through the player tunnel. You can't stand on the grass though, and neither take part in the Barcelona-training... ;)

• Maggies's Profile Photo

CAMP NOU STADIUM

by Maggies Updated Mar 22, 2006

Barca player Reiziger leaving Camp Nou

Camp Nou is the biggest stadium in Europe and it belongs to FC Barcelona (Barca). It fits 115 000 fans....
    When I was walking around it I suddenly heard bunch of screaming teenagers and it came out that the training had just finished and all the players were leaving. Guess what, I joined the other girls... I just wasn't screaming. ;-)

• alemir82's Profile Photo

Soccer team

by alemir82 Written Feb 11, 2006

One final aspect of Barcelona that cannot be overlooked is its soccer team, Bar?a. This past year, Bar?a won the championship, so needless to say, there was a lot of celebration in Barcelona. I got to go to Canaletas, where the fans gather after every victory, right after the game that gave them the victory. I was also able to go to Camp Nou, their field, to see their official victory celebration.

• Henrik_rrb's Profile Photo

Part II

by Henrik_rrb Written Dec 4, 2005

Empty stadium, ten minutes after the end of the ga

The atmosphere at Barcelona games, as at most games in Spain, is very family-minded. There are no big groups of supporters singing, and there is a fairly mix of men, women and children at the games.

Problem with Barcelona-games is to find a ticket. Almost all of the tickets are sold out in advance to seasonticket-holder, and many of these supporters/idiots only go to the big games against Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Espanyol, Valencia and a few more. That's why Nou Camp can be only half full at a game against Celta Vigo, when all the tickets still are sold out...

Quite good possibilities to buy tickets on the black market outside the stadium though. And, to be honest, FC Barcelona has done something about this problem lately, and if you're in town some time before the matchday you will probably be able to buy a ticket at the clubshop at the stadium.

This is not the case for the big games though!

For my visit at the stadium my brother told me there never have been any visitations before entry at Nou Camp, which for me came as a good surprise, since I'm used to the italian system where you will be checked everytime you even get close to the stadium. No matter if you're there only to visit your grandmother who lives two blocks away...

We passed the first entrance, and was about to take the stairs up to our posts, when a guard suddently stopped me and demanded that I underwent a visitation and showed what I had in my small bag....!?

Yes, got a bit surprised, but still it's quite fun to be the only one ever getting searched at Nou Camp! :)

Oh, and just remember... Tickets in Spain in general, and in Barcelona in particular, are expensive. REALLY expensive. To see a game against a low ranked team at Nou Camp I pay the double that I pay for Milan-Juventus at San Siro in Milano...

• PelLihi's Profile Photo

WOW - now that's what I call a stadium!

by PelLihi Written Dec 3, 2005

Nou Camp!!

The Nou Camp is a must visit for any football fan. The stadium is home to the Barcelona football team "FC BARCELONA" with some of the best players in the world (Ronaldinho, Giuly, Et'o,...) is a massive three tiered stadium, and an amazing sight in itself. You can do a tour of the ground and have a look around the trophy room and training pitch which is better than most English football grounds (the Barcelona reserves get 30, 000 fans a match)!

We saw the game FC Barcelona vs. Real Sociedad which ended 5:0 for Barcelona. This was an impressive match with about 100.000 fans watching the game (and me and my girlfriend were 2 of them)! It was quite expensive (about 80 € each) but it was worth every cent.

Check it out!!

• grahamopey's Profile Photo

Go here - but take the guided tour

by grahamopey Written Jun 29, 2005

Camp Nou is simply breathtaking, and the museum isn't to shabby either.

Football fans should take the guided tour though, I missed out on visiting the changing rooms and the pitch side - and really regret it.

• Nathalygiro's Profile Photo

FC Barcelona

by Nathalygiro Written May 29, 2005

Celebration

The Stadium... what can I say? You've to visit it and live a life-match with the music, people,... the atmosphere is... awesome!! I really recomend to go (of course, better when Barcelona win)

We are the champions 04-05!!! :o)

• Study Abroad

• emilybcn's Profile Photo

FOOTBALL!

by emilybcn Updated Apr 5, 2005

The Flag of Catalunya in Nou Camp Stadium

I think Nou Camp stadium is much more entertaining if you go to see an actual game. Although for you true football fans I suppose you might enjoy a tour of the stadium. I didn't see a Barca game but rather two different exposition games, Brazil vs. Catalunya, and another time Argentina vs, Catalunya, I just bought tickets at the stadium before the game, however to see a Barca game it would be more difficult to buy the tickets at the door. You should go on the website to buy tickets. Once inside the stadium is pretty typical, it's really the energy of the crowd and the game which makes a trip to Nou stadium worthwhile! One tip, outside the stadium before a game there are a lot of tables selling merchandise for the teams playing, I don't know if the quality is that great but it seemed pretty reasonably priced compared to the real jerseys etc.

• Meadows11's Profile Photo

Football Fan Or Not, You've Gotta See This!

by Meadows11 Written Mar 4, 2005

FC Barcelona Museum

Do not make the mistake of writing this off as just any old football stadium. Camp Nou- home of FC Barcelona is truly a sight to behold! It is Europe's largest sports stadium, and more than that it has a HUGE museum and HUGE superstore. Even if you aren't keen to catch a game- which can muster up quite an atmosphere let me assure you, then at least take the tour, which even my girlfriend of the time who couldn't be more anti-football found it to be a very worthwhile afternoon. It is a formidable sight that can only truly be appreciated by being there yourself.

• School Holidays
    • Study Abroad

Camp Nou Stadium

by Pieter11 Updated Jan 14, 2005

Camp Nou (or Nou Camp) is one of the most famous football stadiums in the world. The stadium was built in 1957 (officially opened at the 24th of september). The stadium once had a capacity of 120.000 people, but due to safety regulations, this had been brought back to 98.260. Camp Nou is catalan for New Stadium. It has a very large pitch with 105x72 meters.

FC Barcelona was founded in 1899 as always has been a symbol of Catalan nationalism. Espacially in the time when Franco leaded the country. The hate towards the Spanish Madrid was enormous. This has never faded away.

The club anthem of FC Barcelona:
    The whole stadium is one scream,
    We are the red-blues (la gente blaugrana)
    Wherever we come from,
    From north or south
    We agree on one thing,
    This flag makes us brothers,
    Red and blue in the wind,
    One brave scream that whole the world knows:
    Barca, Barca, Barca

• Museum Visits

The essence of football

by Pieter11 Written Jan 3, 2005

In the FC Barcelona museum I saw a painting which tells the essence of football for me. A crowd breathless following a simple piece of leather. This is perfectly made clear in this painting. Go and have a look yourself!

The uniforms of FC Barcelona

by Pieter11 Written Jan 3, 2005

Very nice: When you enter the Nou Camp Stadium via the walking-bridge, you will see the evolution of the clothes thoughout the years. Beginning with the very first uniform, of 1899, you will see the last uniform at the end of the bridge. A big difference, I can tell!

• gale.blog.pl's Profile Photo

FC Barcelona

by gale.blog.pl Written Oct 8, 2004

I was told that this is a must see activity so here I am writing about this piece of concrete.

The massive ugly construction was built especially for fans of grown up men dressed like kids, chasing a leather ball on a large grass. I don't really see a point in watching that kind of show and spending huge money on it but if you wish... it's your choice.

• Maria_75's Profile Photo

NOU CAMP STADIUM

by Maria_75 Written Oct 1, 2004

If there is a footballmatch while you are in the city, be sure not to miss it! FC Barcelona were playing against Alaves so of course we had to go. Especially fun for two norwegians to see another norwegian, Dan Eggen, playing on the field for Alaves.

This is a huge stadium! It's the biggest in Spain, even bigger than the one in Madrid. When you come from a country where the biggest footballstadium holds only 25.000 people, you get really blown away by this one that houses more than 120.000 people!

It was built in 1956, and renovated in 1980 and 1994. There is also a museum here where you can learn more about the history and the team.

• Amazing

by WillAntoniou Written Aug 25, 2004

Much bigger in real life

Whether or not you are a football fan, go see Camp Nou (the site is wrong, it's not Nou Camp). It is huge, and the taxi driver will take you, all you have to say is "Camp Nou."
    I saw all of the Gaudi Architecture , but this was definitly the highlight of my trip.

• Architecture

Instant Answers: Barcelona

Comments

Hotels Near Nou Camp Stadium
4.5 out of 5 stars