Zoo, Barcelona

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 36 Reviews

Parc de la Ciutadella 932256780

Iris is having a look at some elephants.
    by Jerelis
    Watching the dolphin show.
    by Jerelis
    Being amazed at the Aquarama.
  • Jerelis's Profile Photo

Parc Zoològic – A must visit indeed.

by Jerelis Written Mar 1, 2013
    The pony ride of Iris.

After the interesting history lesson at the huge display we continued our grand tour. We visited the Dragon Land Exhibit where we delved into the adventure and saw the Komodo dragon. After that we saw Terrarium with a stunning representation of reptiles and amphibians from around the world. Something you don’t want to miss is the Zoo Farm, especially when you have little children. Right here we admired an array of domestic animals, gardens, frog pond and butterfly garden, we also let Iris having a ride at a pony, once of a lifetime opportunity for her :) ...

After the ride it was time for the last things to visit, like the Titi Gallery with its different species of tiny primates and finally the Green Space. This is a small interactive classroom where we learned how to waste generated at the Zoo is collected for proper recycling or elimination. There are some true eye-openers here! But anyway, we had a nice time at the Parc Zoològic where we had an interactive day with our kids and saw a lot of amazing animals along the way, for example a Brown Spider Monkey, Pygmy Hippopotamus, American Flamingo, Addra Gazelle and the Sumatran Tiger. Too much to mention them all. Our conclusion is … the Parc Zoològic is a true must visit!

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Parc Zoològic – The Aquarama.

by Jerelis Updated Mar 1, 2013
    Watching the dolphin show.

By this time it was already noon and time for a quick bite. We had our own lunch with us and bought some juice and cola to go with that. After our refreshments we headed to the Aquarama, were there was a show at 1 pm and we were right on time, because it was already getting crowded. Just imagine that the Aquarama is home to four Common Bottlenose Dolphins from the Barcelona Zoo collection, and will offer spectacular performances everyday for huge audiences. Especially for the kids this was a grand experience. We saw the dolphins play with the trainers, water jets, toys, ice-cubes and sometimes even with some guests! It’s just great to see how the dolphins and trainers demonstrate how well they work together.

After the show we continued our walk around and arrived at some point at a huge display where they had a time span of the history of the Zoo. Interesting to see and read that it all started out in 1892 and in all those years there have been a lot of extensions and modernifications, like the Botanical Gardens in 1893, the monumental waterfall at the old aquarium in 1909 and the establishment of the first dolpinarium in Europe in 1960. Amazing to read and see some old (black and white) pictures to go with the stories and its history.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Parc Zoològic – How to get there?

by Jerelis Written Mar 1, 2013
    Iris in front of the entrance of the Zoo.

We visited the Barcelona Zoo at our second visit to the city of Barcelona. We knew that didn’t want to speed through the Zoo like a whirlwind and therefore took our time (maybe the entire day) for having an extensive look at this amazing Parc Zoològic. We parked our car at the car park under the Arc de Triomf. Maybe it is not the cheapest car park, but is very close by and ideal for this occasion. There is also a metro station at Arc de Triomf, so take your pick. From the Arc de Triomf it is just a short walk towards the Parc de la Ciutadella, where the Zoo is located.

We are definitely people that don’t want to miss a thing, therefore we were given the suggestion to walk the circular 5-hour tour. We started at the main entrance of the Zoo and from there it is just a matter of following the path to the right and via this way we visited all the pavilions and unique facilities that came across during the route. We were able to see the Zoo’s diversity of plants and animals, we enjoyed it very much. For example we visited the Palm Grove with all those different species of macaws and parrots, saw the Aviari with jungle birds from around the world and the Gorilla Space, which is a great interpretation centre about this species.

• Taunted Animals

by seagypsyX Written Nov 28, 2011

I usually enjoy having a wander around zoos. There are a number of interesting animals, new things to learn, information about conservation etc, but the Barcelona Zoo seemed to disappoint. If you just glazed over everything, it seems like a decent zoo, but when you look a bit deeper into things it seems as though there is a slightly darker side to this establishment. Many of the larger animals' "habitats" were far to small for them, and there seemed to be too much access for the public to these animals. For instance, when you view the bears you are looking down on them in a fancy pit, where people can hang over the side, and one man started throwing food at the bears and trying to get it to stand up for the treat. Also, people were throwing food scraps into the orangutans inclosure which they then began to fight over. The ones throwing the food thought that it was hilarious, so they just continued. At another habitat, a zoo attendant walked by while people were feeding the zebras grass through the bars, and did not say a word. These are just some of the things that really frustrated me, but you could tell by the look of nearly half of the animals that there was hardly any stimulation going on, and they were just pacing back and forth, or aggressively "playing" with one another.
    I was really disappointed when I left this place. Considering the entrence fare charged, they should have more resources available to do some updates and provide better space for all of the animals, not just some.

• adema29's Profile Photo

The Zoo

by adema29 Written Feb 12, 2010

As I have already mentioned on other pages, our abroad trips include the local zoo. As we are traveling with our child, we have to put zoos and aquariums on our “top ten” list:)
    Barcelona Zoo is a nice place to spend an afternoon, even a winter one. Big, with a wide range of animals, it covers most of the main groups that you expect to see in a zoo - from reptiles and birds through apes, monkeys, deer, tigers and lions, hippos, elephants to a small dolphinarium .
    Anyway, the main attraction for our son was the pony ride.

• ZOO

by wildel7ouma Written Nov 10, 2008

Wonderful wonderful, I like really:
    ** price: 15,40 € , no discount for students.
    ** dolphins show on 11h and 15h.
    ** many kinds of animals. Almost all of them
    ** the white monkey was not there.
    ** close at 17h
    ** since 16h 30, zoo worker’s start ordering animals to be in cages.
    ** many restaurants but I didn’t like food there (u can take urs)
    ** many places to eat (table, chairs,…)
    ** many automats (for drinks, cafés, chocolate, …)
    Easy to find (L1, Arc de Triomph)

• Cathy24's Profile Photo

Best Zoo I've seen

by Cathy24 Written Jul 8, 2008

This Zoo is in the Parc della Cituadella and you can get to it by going to the Jaume metro station or the Parc Cituadella station (which is probably closer).

The Parc itself is lovely and you can rent a boat on the little lake which is lovely - €10 for 30 minutes.

The zoo is lush and green and really well kept despite the incredibly hot weather. There are dolphins! they come right up to the glass as if they are smiling at you and there is also a dolphn show four times a day.

We really really enjoyed the zoo, it was a great day out - loads of cafes, toilets, seats and really well kept animals.

Cost €15 each i think.

• lizzie1715's Profile Photo

Nice zoo

by lizzie1715 Updated Apr 24, 2008

It took us about 2 hours to do a tour of the zoo. It's very a nicely maintained zoo, clean and the animals well kept. No major surprises, but a nice relaxing zoo where you could get pretty close up and personal with the animals. Fun day for children.

• Marpessa's Profile Photo

Barcelona Zoo

by Marpessa Updated Jan 17, 2008

Flamingoes

After riding around on the hop on/hop off bus, my friends and I decided to go check out the Barcelona Zoo.

The Barcelona Zoo was a very nice zoo to visit (it is the only zoo outside of Australia that I have visited). With our maps it was fairly easy to find our way around to all the different animals. For the first time my friends and I saw flamingoes :) and also an albino wallaby - I'd never seen one before. I think my favourite areas are the ones with monkeys/gorillas or the big cats, oh! and the seals - okay, I pretty much like all the animals :).

While on the whole the zoo was very nice, I do remember seeing one or two enclosures (the hippopotamus I think was one of them - not the pygmy hippopotamus though) that didn't seem very nice, more concrete than earthy - but maybe they were doing upgrades, I'm not sure.

It is a nice way to spend the afternoon and definitely a great place to bring your kids. I recommend bringing your own food though, as the kiosks here are a bit expensive (I think that must be the same with zoos worldwide).

With the discount book we were given with the bus tour, we got in for 12 Euro each (adults).

Opening Times:
    January-February: 10:00 - 17:00
    March-May: 10:00 - 18:00
    June-September: 10:00 - 19:00
    October: 10:00 - 18:00
    November-December: 10:00 - 17:00

For more photos check out my 'More Photos of Barcelona Zoo' travelogue.

• arty_girl's Profile Photo

Best zoo I've been to!

by arty_girl Written Jul 26, 2007

Our trip to the zoo was very enjoyable, it costs 14.95 euro and 9 euro for children and it's well worth the money! There's a massive selection of animals including monkeys, gorillas, Iberian wolves, snakes...lemurs.....there's even a dolphin show which is incredibly impressive! Barcelona Zoological Park first opened its gates on the Day of the Mercè, patron saint of Barcelona, 1892.
    The grounds are really lovely and very clean and there are places to eat, snack and drink. For children aged 5 to 14 there are prepared workshops in order that during the school holidays the children enjoy the free time in the Zoo of Barcelona.
    There are also little golf buggy style cars that you can drive around the complex, remember to bring your driving license though or else you won't be allowed to hire one. For 1 hour the prices are as follows:
    2 seats: € 13
    4 seats: € 20

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Zoo

by karenincalifornia Updated Jul 24, 2007

Lemurs at Barcelona zoo

My daughter isn't big on visiting churches, and isn't all that big on visiting Gaudi buildings, so when we asked her to pick an activity, she picked the Barcelona Zoo. It's worth a visit if you like zoos or have children. It's also conveniently located near Ciutat Vella. Admission price is 13.45 Eurodollars. The zoo is located in a beautiful garden that is over 100 years old. The cages were a bit on the small side - that part was a bit hard to see. I like to see animals with a bit more space.

My favorite part was the ring-tailed lemur island and the newer aviary exhibit, with the kitchen that showed the different diets of the various birds.

• clmbsb's Profile Photo

Good if you have kids

by clmbsb Written Jul 9, 2007

Crazy peacock

We always like to take in local zoos and this one was worth the entrance and 2 hours. They have a dolphin shows which most other zoos don't so that is a bonus. The animals are not in cages but have moats around their habitat.

Walk through the park to make an afternoon of it.

• SueWarwick's Profile Photo

Barcelona Zoo

by SueWarwick Written Jul 1, 2007
    Elephant

I entered the zoo from Ciutadella park, just after 10 am and stayed till after 3pm.
    Some of the cages left a lot to be desired but on the whole it wasn’t too bad.
    Some exhibits allow you to get very close to the animals the sea lion enclosure being particularly good. Sadly, however, some people took advantage of this and I spotted one man getting very close to the elephant encolosure and feeding grass to one of the animals.
    The zoo contains a lot of birds including peacoks which are roaming freely some with their young chicks.
    There was a good dolphin show, three were held when I visited and I attended the 11.30 show – best check on the show times before hand.

There is a lot to see and well worth the 15 Euro entry fee although the price would soon mount up if taking a family..
    There are plenty of places around the zoo for picnics and plenty of reasonably priced snack bars.
    The zoo also has a great petting zoo and pony rides for younger children.

• SallyM's Profile Photo

Zoo Time

by SallyM Written Apr 5, 2007

Flamingoes sunning themselve (in February...)

Our first port of call in a city famed for its art and architecture was, naturally, the zoo.

Barcelona zoo is famous for its albino gorilla, known as Snowflake, but he was sulking when we visited and all we saw was his back. For those who are concerned about the morality of zoos, I can only observe that Barcelona zoo appears to be well run, and to have conservation, rather than spectacle, as its main priority.

• OzgurEY's Profile Photo

Show must go on...

by OzgurEY Written Jan 5, 2006

It was our 2nd day of Barcelona trip and the weather was beatiful,thats why we went to the zoo,After the only one ever lived albino gorilla died,the zoo was still sad...But the dolphinas doin their show still great 3 times a day and in 2 different pools...The tip is I m gonna give to you...When you go in to the zoo turn directly to the left and you ll see there is club car rent place...So rent a club car for two person for an hour it coasts 6€ but zoo doesnt coast you anymore the time...so you keep a couple of hours with this cars...And the decoration of the zoo is great , you ll feel like you are in the Jungle...Especially with crocodiles,amazing....

Instant Answers: Barcelona

Comments

Hotels Near Zoo
4.5 out of 5 stars