Bullfights, Barcelona

by Peret
  • xinoxano's Profile Photo

BARCELONA LOVES FOOTBALL AND HATES BULLFIGHT

by xinoxano Written Sep 4, 2009

The great majority of people from Barcelona and rest of Catalonia not only are against bullfight but also hate it. In fact the Catalan law of Animal Protection will quite probably be modified next year so that the corrida is banned within Catalonia.

This is something we locals never do. The ring is nearly always half empty and 70% of the attendance are ignorant tourist, many of which leave the ring before the fight is finished absolutely disgusted, some crying or dizzy of the bloody butchery they have witnessed.

Some other people will write that when popular matador José Tomás comes to Barcelona, the ring is full. It is true but you have to take into account that most fans come from the rest of Spain or even Latin-America, France and other countries.

Some will also write that Catalans were fond of bullfight 100 years ago. It is true but this is not the case any more. Public executions were also a popular passtime at the beginning of the 20th Century but the mentality of the people has changed since.

Other reason why we Catalans mostly detest bullfight is because it is something too Spanish. This is due to the Franco dictatorship, which promoted corridas as the "Fiesta Nacional" (National Feast).

All in all, if you want to see a corrida (which I hope you never see), better go to Madrid or Sevilla. However it is interesting that you know the fact that 72% of all Spaniard, according to a recent survey, are NOT interested in bullfight.

Fun Alternatives: Most locals love football (soccer) and FC Barcelona is the favourite club, so even if you are not into sport, a match at the huge Nou Camp stadium is worthwhile.

• corridas ARE interesting and aesthetic

by tebehem Updated Jun 19, 2006

If you can't see an animal being killed DO NOT GO TO A CORRIDA. But if you have read a few books, Ernest Hemingway for instance, you have at least learnt that corridas are part of the spanish culture and history. the present form of corrida dates back to the 19th century and bull fighting in Spain is about as old as the 15th century. The matadors risk their lives at every moment and yes the bulls are killed and you can see blood. But if you don't know what is happening if no one has explained or if you are not curious enough to read about bullfights, not you just won't like them especially if you live in a city and have never seen a chicken being slaughtered and you think chicken are just nuggets
    at KFC's or Mc Donalds ! But if you are looking for emotion, risk, some kind of regulated violence and like movement, color and are tolerant then go and see a corrida event if for political reasons, the catalans in Barcelona have decided not to subsidise corridas in their cities as it is a tradition in most spanish cities or small towns. Another anti Madrid attitude from the catalans. But here think of aesthetics and the art of the torero and the power of the bull and not about politics.

Unique Suggestions: I cannoit agree that all corridas are a tourist trap. Obviously, some are on the Costa Brava in some resorts in the summer of course. But, Madrid, Sevilla, Ronda and really every city has a bull ring and a tradition of afficionados. Yes the young generation love football but millions yes MILLIONS of spaniards love corridas. Don't go to near the arena, stay at the top, you shall see less blood and more colous and read or ask someone to tell you what is happening and why. 60% chances you shall want to go again to learn more about corridas. Hemingway or Picasso loved corridas and to the best of my knowledge they wer not savages were they ? An neither am I !

• xaver's Profile Photo

Corrida

by xaver Updated Mar 1, 2005

Please avoid the Corrida or any other show including useless and stupid animal's tortures.
    Corrida is not a fight, it is just a slow torture made against a bull untill his death.
    There is no need to finance such a sadic spectacle, and, Barcelona as all Spain has many more beautiful and peaceful things to see and to join.

• Zoo

• Peret's Profile Photo

The bullfightings and the barcelonians

by Peret Updated May 1, 2004

Well, you want to see a bullfigth in Barcelona? Then, you are doing a thing that the most of barcelonians never do.
    An exemple, that can to be a barcelonian standard. I remember when i was child, I saw in TV some bullfigths. It was the time when only was one channel. I never spoke with family or friends about bullfigts, simply was a thig that i knew existed, but i never knew how worked it.
    One time, a friend of my who worked as journalist, invited me to a bullfight, cause he had to make a travelogue. I was curiosed and I went. What I saw? First, the Plaza in 2/3 empty. The part that was occuped, in a part was with nostalgics of the Franco's gouvernement (You can recognize them for their old-fashioned glasses, moustaches, and clothes), and another with tourists.
    In the arena, I remember the blood, and my sadness for the toro.
    Some years laters, a french ask to me, when started the toro's season. I seid him that i never thought that was a season for the toros. He looked me if I was liyng, or i don't know what.
    If you go to a bullfight in Barcelona, you lose the ambience, the thing that maybe is worth to live in.
    In the photo, the inside of the "Plaza de las Arenas".
    Voleu veure una cursa de braus a Barcelona? Bé, però sapigueu que llavors estareu fent una cosa que la majoria de barcelonins no fan mai. Per a que m'entengueu, jo, igual que la majoria de barcelonins, sé el que és una cursa de braus per la televisió. No tinc ni idea què és el que s'ha de fer. Una vegada un francès em va preguntar quan començava la temporada, i quan li vaig dir que no sabia ni que hi hagués una temporada, em va mirar com si no em cregués. Ara, a la monumental, només hi han estrangers, algun aficionat autèntic, i franquistes nostàlgics. En una cursa de braus a Barcelona, us perdeu l'ambient autèntic d'altres llocs.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

monumental- plaçca do toros

by call_me_rhia Written Nov 1, 2002

el monumental

It's barcelona's huge bullring - one of the largest in Spain. However Catalan people are quickly loosing interest in bullfighting, so a large portion of people attending a corrida are tourists. It's in Plaça d'Espanya.

Unique Suggestions: Simply, don't go. Bullfighting is cruelty, not a sport.

Fun Alternatives: There's so much do see and do in Barcelona: you really have an alternative (or hundred). Even a football match is better than a corrida - and by no means I like football

• Definitely over rated is the...

by tclowe Written Aug 26, 2002

Definitely over rated is the bullfighting. We took the subway to get to the arena. Paid about $25 per person and wound up in the nosebleed section of the arena sitting on narrow stone slabs. The arena was pretty packed. I think the fights are only on Sundays. Should have paid $5 for the cheap square cushions because my tush was on the verge of a cramp even before the bullfighting started.

The bullfighting was a pretty sight at the start. However, it got bloody and was not a pretty sight when the matador impaled the bull with the swords and stakes. My 3 year old enjoyed watching the horses drag the bull out of the arena and screaming OLE, OLE with the other audience members.

I couldn't stand it anymore and made my family leave with me after the second bullfight. They must do at least 4 or 5 bullfights during one show, I guess. As we were walking to the exit, we noticed a few police officers near the exit. They sort of escorted us out and we found out why. There were ten to twenty protesters (with signs in English) screaming at us for attending the bullfight. They were a sight with drums and costumes. We were subdued and kept walking. No problems, just nervous to encounter such a protest so close to the exit of the arena.

• Rude_boy22's Profile Photo

Bullfights...

by Rude_boy22 Updated Aug 24, 2002

Matador in action

Though, yes it is inhumane, I had to see a bullfight. Most impressive were the horses. Blindfolded, they were capable of trotting sideways. They were also very calm when a bull would ram their padded sides. The actual fight was not all that impressive mereley because of the numbers of matadors that were in the ring. It didn't seem all that fair to the bull. One bull did get a bit of revenge before it was killed, however. I'll try to dig up and post those pictures when I find the time.

• Sakura_Kobe's Profile Photo

Placa de Toros...

by Sakura_Kobe Written Aug 24, 2002

Placa de Toros Monumental:
    Bullfighting is like a ceremony. We saw 6 bulls were killed. That was my first experience to see an animal killed in my presence. I was enough shocked about it.

Instant Answers: Barcelona