Getting Around, Barcelona

Know about this?

Many many pigeons at the plaza.
    by Jerelis
    Overview of Placa de Catalunya.
    by Jerelis
    Sam sleeping at Placa de Catalunya.
  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Sagrada Familia is over?

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Sep 29, 2013

Barcelona - Sagrada Familia poster

A lot of people come to Barcelona to have a look at Sagrada Familia Temple. They are often dissapointed to see the construction which is going more then a century. Why didn't they finish till my coming? When Gaudi was asked when he was going to finish the Temple he answered that his customer (the god) is not in a hurry.
    It is possible to see the poster on which termination dates of construction - 2020 are specified.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Placa de Catalunya – Beautiful facades.

by Jerelis Written Apr 23, 2013
    Just some more pigeons.

The main square (called Placa de Catalunya on which all these beautiful historical buildings are situated, is the natural centre of the city of Barcelona: a stage for various minor and major events, a reference point, a meeting place and the starting point or destination for walkers who want to discover the city. Historically speaking, the square began to operate in a shape and size similar to what we see today in the early years of the 20th century. This took place after the 19th century when the old city walls were demolished. Another boost the the square was given in 1929 as a part of the 1929 Barcelona International Exposition.

We especially liked the Corner of Plaça de Catalunya with Passeig de Gràcia in the background. Other places of interest will be found if you just look up to the beautiful facades of the surrounding buildings. Maybe it is a good tip to have a cold refreshment at one of the terraces, sit on a comfortable chair, just look around and enjoy the vibrance of this beautiful spot.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Placa de Catalunya – All those pigeons.

by Jerelis Written Apr 23, 2013
    I am standing in the middle of the pigeons.

The hundreds (maybe thousands?) of pigeons at the Placa de Catalunya bring great joy to both adults and children. It is a true bond between bird and mankind in my opinion. The square therefore is very famous for its feral pigeons, and feeding them was a popular activity. For Iris chasing the pigeons all around the Placa de Catalunya was also a very popular activity. There are advantages and disadvantages about all these pigeons on the square. They are droppings their dirt on the beautiful stonework and some consider their presence a health hazard. We simply bought some bird seed right at a stall on the square and did enjoy ourselves.

Without a doubt is the Placa de Catalunya is the busy centre of the Gothic Quarter (ancient old town) and therefore a bit of a tourist trap. But is this a good reason to avoid it and not visit it? No, not at all. You can also put this main square in the tip section "Must see"! And I can also tell you why :) Because after our hiking break and our play with the pigeons we did continue our tour over the square. The most prominent building is the one facing the square. It is the beautiful building of the Banco Espanol, it is truly an eye cather and worth a good look, and off course a picture

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Placa de Catalunya – Where it is situated.

by Jerelis Updated Apr 23, 2013
    Overview of Placa de Catalunya.

Placa de Catalunya literally means Square of Catalonia. When we asked the local people of Barcelona where to find it exactly they all advised us to follow the same directions, but it ended out in a nice discussion which was quite impossible for us to follow. One man told us that it was situated in the city center of Barcelona, but another man was in the opinion that it was part of the old city, the Gothic Quarter. We left both men behind us and just walked our way to the square itself which was easy to find as it is located at the end of Las Ramblas at the eastern part of it.

When we arrived we saw quite a large square indeed. We knew that the city’s most important streets and avenuew meet at Placa de Catalunya, for example where we came from Rals Ramblas, but also where we drove by car, the Passeig de Gracia. On a sign we read that the plaza is about 50,000 square meters large. Walking around we had a good look at where the square is so famous for, namely the fountains and statues. It is one of the most popular destinations in Barcelona.

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo

Fines for smoking in the Metro

by MichaelFalk1969 Written Mar 15, 2010

This is not really a tourist trap, but rather something funny I noticed when using the (excellent) metro in Barcelona. The fine for travelling without a valid ticket is exactly 40,- €. The fine for smoking in the Metro is 30 € and 5 cent (30,05 €!). I seriously wonder why they added the 5 Cent to the bill - maybe as an additional annoyance for the smokers who have to get some small change. (And if they can`t , they go to jail - just a guess). Or maybe it has something to do with the exchange rates when Spain joined the EURO zone. If anybody knows the reason, please tell me !

Unique Suggestions: Always have 5 cents ready !

Fun Alternatives: Don`t smoke in the metro !

• Platti's Profile Photo

Tour Bus

by Platti Written Feb 2, 2009

Don't think the tour bus is the ideal thing to do if it rains. Have just done the same thing and ended up being a total waste of money. Couldn't sit upstairs because of the rain (obviously), sitting downstairs at the back gives you hardy any view out of the small windows. Sitting downstairs at the front given even worse visibility. The windows steamed up, there are graphics on the outside of the bus making it hard to see out and it gets packed with like-minded people so you could end up stood up.

Unique Suggestions: Get on at the first stop and get a good spot to sit in, if you can find one. Also take waterproof clothing so that you can get off regularly and actually see the sights.

• venteca's Profile Photo

Beware of pickpockets!!

by venteca Written Dec 20, 2007

This was the only bad or dangerous experience that me and my wife had in Barcelona (and until now in any city/country that we´ve visited). We were walking in one of the litle streets of Barrio Gotic near La Rambla and two guys approached asking us were where we from, joking with us, asking if we wanned drugs and stuf like that. We obviously never stopped walking. The guy that was speaking to me as we were walking was distracting me with questions and always smiling and talking with fun, etc. He was always looking me in the eyes probably to distract me, I realize now... As we were walking we was aproaching more and more and never stoped talking to me. At a certain point my wife screamed because the the guy was descreatly putting his hand on my pocket. I kind of punched him in his chest to put him away from me. At that time they left, i.e, they stoped walking with us and they made a sign to a third guy that was a litle ahead checking maybe if anything went wrong....Only at that time we realized that they were 3 guys..!! Fortunately they didn't reach my wallet because my wife saw him just in time...! Note that all of this happened with several other people passing by at 7 pm and all happened in about 10 seconds...! Be very carefull!! Hide your stuff!! I think we had just bad luck by having this very bad experience... Even so, as you can imagine our vacation was a little affected by it...

Unique Suggestions: Don´t carrie with you nothing of value besides what is extremely necessary

Fun Alternatives: Dont walk around showing any value things you might carrie with yourself.

• seamandrew's Profile Photo

Plaça de Catalunya

by seamandrew Updated Jun 12, 2004

Pla��a de Catalunya

At the northern end of La Rambla lies the Plaça de Catalunya. It is not the kind of picturesque square that you might make an effort to visit on any trip to Barcelona. However it is hard to miss because most people pass it on their way to somewhere else. It is really a logistical center for the city's transportation system and can serve as a focal point in the city for planning all other trips from.

This plaça is the center of the city in a wider sense. If you look in the middle of the square itself, you'll find paved stones arranged into the shape of a star which, rumor has it, marks the center of the capital of Catalonia.

Unique Suggestions: Admire the fountains pictured here, the statue of the goddess in the square, but also take some time to admire the locals. One of the best things is watching the kids frolic while chasing other children or pigeons. It's really nice to see.

• Trains

• satara's Profile Photo

Got lost?!

by satara Written May 7, 2003

We used to navigate in the city with the help of city map, but still sometimes we got confused for some moment - where is North-South? Why this sun is always over my head and so hot even it's December 31!!!

• I strongly recommend you to...

by serap Written Aug 26, 2002

I strongly recommend you to have 'Barcelona Card' which includes free travel on public city transport and offers you 100 discounts at museums, nightlife, restaurants, shops, theatres... You can get the card from Tourist information Offices.

Instant Answers: Barcelona