Las Ramblas, Barcelona

Know about this?

Overview at Las Ramblas Barcelona.
    One of the many stalls.
    by Jerelis
    Look but don't touch Iris :)
  • Las Ramblas

by dawn67 Written May 27, 2004

It depends what you want out of the trip but I personally found Las Ramblas really nasty. In my opinion it's one of the worst parts of town but for some reason there seem to be loads of tourists.
    We went up there one day on the way to somewhere and stopped off for lunch. The service was very poor and I felt the food was overpriced.
    There were loads of gypsies begging, which I found off putting and intimidating.
    The street bands can be quite fun but they tend to move from cafe to cafe and always come around at the end for tips so you could end up paying a fortune out.
    They say it's the worst place for crime and I'd agree. Luckily were weren't targetted but walking up there that one day I spotted 2 of the con tricks we'd read about in our guide book. I was amazed at the amount of people who weren't looking after their bags etc.

• nicolettart's Profile Photo

Too Many Tourist Traps

by nicolettart Written Apr 29, 2004

Don't get me wrong, Las Ramblas is a wonderful place to stroll, take in the sights, smells, and sounds. But many of the shops along the way were full of junk!! I did not buy one decent t-shirt because I was so disgusted! LOL

• Architecture

• acemj's Profile Photo

Las Ramblas traps

by acemj Updated Dec 13, 2003

Las Ramblas is packed with tourists at all hours of the day, but don't let that stop you from visiting this amazing street. The people-watching and attractions along the street are well worth the crowds and minor nuisances. Watch out for guys who are playing games for money. I saw some guys playing a game where you watch the ball under 3 cups and try to keep you eye on it as he moves the cups around. Somehow, people always seem to lose their money on that one. Don't bother.

• marinas's Profile Photo

La Rambla

by marinas Written Oct 1, 2003

This is main street in Barcelona. It is very odd street in the waves and considerable long. La Rambla wasn´t like to me because on the both side of pedesrian zone, which is very narrow, are very busy streets. In pedestrian zone you may met milion people and clash whith them. In this reason you must be so careful and keep atention on yours things because this street is full of the thiefs.

• yelyah99's Profile Photo

Las Ramblas - not entirely unmissable

by yelyah99 Written Jul 28, 2003

OK, Las Ramblas. I thought I would love it, I didn't. It wasn't bad exactly, just a bit disenchanting. Too many loud americans (sorry, I love most of you!) and too many burger stands. Just not my thing.

Unique Suggestions: Just walk down it for the sake of it. Don't stop and eat though! It's tourist-orientated muck and NOT local cuisine.

Fun Alternatives: Why not side-step into the Gothic Quarter for a cafe stop or restaurant? A much cooler alternative.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Prices at La Rambla

by HORSCHECK Written Jul 5, 2003

Cafes at La Rambla

The prices for food and drinks at the restaurants, cafes and shops along La Rambla are tourist prices. Once when I was hungry I bought a simple hot baguette with salami in a shop at La Rambla for 7 EURO. In fact it was bad quality for an expensive price ... :-(
    Nevertheless the terraces of the cafes and restaurants are great places for people watching, but if you like to have good meals for affordable prices then go somewhere else.

• Trains

• Well, I didn't know much about...

by malejka Written Sep 12, 2002

Well, I didn't know much about Barcelona, but I had heard the name 'La Rambla' several times.

That was a serious disappointment: such a great street surrounded by lovely buildings but oh sooooooo crowded by people and... animals??? Strange combination.

• viajera67's Profile Photo

I've heard so many people talk...

by viajera67 Written Aug 24, 2002

I've heard so many people talk about La Rambla, but I found it to be quite touristy, and not half as interesting as the Barri Gotic, The Eixample, or Mont Juic. I also found the Olympic Villages to be touristy, although the sea vistas were nice.

• Buy a little...

by glitter Written Aug 24, 2002

Buy a little map/handbook...can get them at La Ramblas....a popular shopping street in the city centre of Barcelona. You seriously need this for walking about & seeing the place. La Ramblas isn't all it's cracked up to be. Just a street full of newsagents & post card sellers. Not much there. You can pick up a free map from Marks & Spencers at the corner of the square where La Ramblas starts. A very good looking Spaniard works there...you can get free maps at the tourist advice section....2nd floor I think.

• jlpretty's Profile Photo

WALK THE STREET THEN CHECK OUT THE SIDE STREETS

by jlpretty Updated Mar 29, 2007

THE PRICES ON THE STREET ARE MUCH HIGHER THAN THE SIDE STREETS AND IT CAN GET QUITE CROWDED....ESPECIALLY WHEN A CRUISE SHIP ARRIVES

Instant Answers: Barcelona