By Car, Barcelona

Know about this? Rate It!

• Stopping for gas before dropping the car off
    Stopping for gas before dropping the car...
    by Gypsystravels
  • aussirose arrives Barcelona in old London Taxi
    aussirose arrives Barcelona in old...
    by aussirose
  • Black and Yellow Taxis of Barcelona by aussirose
    Black and Yellow Taxis of Barcelona by...
    by aussirose
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Rent a car to explore other cities

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 4, 2013
    Stopping for gas before dropping the car off

I was meeting a friend in Barcelona airport on our way south for our "Spanish" roadtrip, so I arranged to rent a car at the airport from Europcar.

The kiosk is easily located after exiting customs and was easy and convenient. I arranged for and pre-paid my rental via the internet prior to arriving Barcelona. At the kiosk I was aksed for my license (I also had an international drivers license as well), my reservation information and my credit card information. I was traveling with a friend and wanted him to also drive, so he paid the additional dirver fee.

The cost was around $285 for about 7 days with unlimited mileage for a manuel car (I drive manuel and so does my friend). There is an additional fee that is collected after the end of the rental for "airport" fees which was about $65.

The staff was friendly and informative and we were given our key after 10 minutes of paperwork, along with a map (we had a navigation system though) and instructions on where our car was parked. I'd definitely rent from Europcar in Barcelona again if the need arises.

Please note that I get an excellent rate based on the time of year I was traveling which happened to be around the Christmas/New Year holiday.

• Photography

• aussirose's Profile Photo

Black and yellow Taxis Barcelona

by aussirose Written Jan 21, 2012

aussirose arrives Barcelona in old London Taxi

Well they certainly stand out! :o) Black and yellow Taxis in Barcelona. The only other place I have ever seen so many taxis is Singapore. They were blue there.

Anyway, check out our taxi!! Arn't we lucky!!... :o)

Story..... We arrived at the local Railway Station (Sants) from Valencia....btw, that was a fantastic journey!! First time hubby and I have every been first class on anything!! :o) Flash!!

So we arrived at Sants Railway Station and decided the easiest way to our accommodation would be by taxi. ....Well my goodness!! ....What a line up!! ...Taxi's everywhere!! :o)

So here we are in the line and this awesome taxi rolls up!!... and I thought damn!! those people in front are going to get the good one :o( .....Well guess what?.... they were with the people in front of them ....and we got this cute old London type taxi!! How awesome is that!! :o)

What a way to travel to our last big holiday destination!! If I had a glove on me...I would have donned it and waved like the Queen haha.

• Photography

• dlandt's Profile Photo

Affordable auto rental - Nova Rentacar

by dlandt Updated Apr 4, 2011

Car

We rented a car from a web-based place in Northern Ireland. For three days our total was about 60 Euros, and they gave us a super efficient diesel burner that only cost us another 40 Euros for a trip thtat went from Barcelona to Andorra to Perpignan and back to Barcelona with a lot of stops in between. I'm not sure what this company does or how they do it, but they seemed to really deliver a good package.

• Problems with car hire

by Englishjef Updated Mar 4, 2011

I made a mistake with my car hire this time in Barcelona. The car hire firm I'd selected is not based at the airport as I believed. Instead a courtesy minibus takes you to an industrial estate ten minutes drive away to collect your vehicle. I'm an experienced driver, but I simply could not find my way back to the car hire firm at the end of our trip, and I had to pay an airport taxi driver 20 Euros to guide me to the site. Another time I'll make sure the car firm is actually AT the airport!

• Driving a car in Barcelona

by ramot418 Written Apr 4, 2009

There is absolutely no reason to have a car in Barcelona. Everything you'd want to see is accessible by public transport. Not only that, but traffic and parking are such that having a car is a nuisance and a big disadvantage.

That said, a rental car can be very convenient if you want to travel outside of Barcelona. And here is my tip : Rent the car outside of Barcelona as well, thus saving the frustration and time of navigating Barcelona streets and traffic.

If planning to go towards Girona/Figueres/France then rent the car in Girona - either in the town itself or at the airport. The town option has the advantage of being easily accessible from Barcelona by train - the best and cheapest public transport option, whereas you have to take a bus from Barcelona's bus station to get to Girona airport. The airport option has the advantage of the car rental agency being open long hours, as opposed to the relatively short hours they are open in town (especially on weekends). It is always better to rent the car in town if the pick-up and return hours are compatible with your itinerary, as you save time.

If planning to go in another other direction, BCN airport is the best option to pick-up and deliver as public transport to BCN airport is excellent - both by bus and train - and the car rental agencies are open long hours there (usually 24/7).

• Belsaita's Profile Photo

Better DO NOT attempt to drive in Barcelona

by Belsaita Updated Nov 11, 2008

Barceloneta

Better DO NOT attempt to drive in Barcelona. It's not so crazy that other cities (Madrid is worse, for instance), but there is VERY little parking available. And when I say very little, it means really very little, and in addition nearly always you have to pay for it!!

In most streets on the city center you are allowed to park only a maximum of a couple of hours, and this will cost you a few euros (except on festives in most areas). There are color codes: blue (regular fare), green (special area for residents, very expensive if you're not), orange (for special uses). You can always park in the underground parking lots (there are many of these)... but they cost 2€ per hour or more, so taking a taxi will cost you not much more, and with less hassle. You can go anywhere by metro or regular city buses. The metro is easier to navigate, but if you take the buses you can do some sightseeing at the same time.

There used to be a good option for people visiting Barcelona as daytrip: METROPARK “Park and Ride” service. However, due the deconstruction/building works at Plaça de les Glòries Catalanes this option is no longer available.

• Kaysta's Profile Photo

Taxi!

by Kaysta Written Jan 6, 2008

You can always a find a taxi to get around Barcelona. I think its the easiest way, as most of the streets look pretty much the same!

If your unsure how to find one, ask your hotel, they will give you the best advice.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo

Rental car woes

by gilabrand Updated Jul 26, 2005

Don't rent a car to travel around Barcelona. First of all, the public transportation (metro and buses) is very convenient, and you can really walk to most everything. Second of all, there is very little on-street parking.

Underground parking costs about 22 EUR a day and an expired meter will set you back 78 EUR!! The relatives I met up with in Barcelona heaved a tremendous sigh of relief when they gave back the car they had rented to drive through Portugal and Spain.

In short, a rental car in the center of Barcelona is a big headache. It will give you more grief than it is worth.

• DPando's Profile Photo

BCN Highway Net

by DPando Updated Jul 21, 2005

As a exception in Spain the most highways around BCN are full of Tolls as you can see in this pic

The best way to get to BCN is by plane (in my modest opinion) once here the transportation network will forget your need to take a car with some exceptions like Costa Brava small towns and maybe Andorra

In case you are coming to BCN i give you a catalonian web page with a the traffic situation in live with a original map ...see below

The highways are in good conditions ...expect to pay from BCN to Valencia 18€ each way
    From BCn to the French border 9-10 € each way, and from BCN to Zaragoza more or less the same that in this last case

• vivalasteph's Profile Photo

Smart and Chic!

by vivalasteph Written Apr 16, 2004

oh, you're so cute!

I will not pretend that this cute little car has anything to do with me. The first time I ever saw these cars was here, and I thought "how perfect". A tiny car which could navigate the tiny streets. Indeed, a Smartcar!

Of course, I'm from America, where the cars are bigger than necessary, in most cases. How refreshing to see some economy, and awareness of parking issues.

• DanielF's Profile Photo

Discover Barcelona without traffic

by DanielF Updated Feb 8, 2004

This is an unusually empty Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes, one of the city's most important traffic arteries and usually congested with cars and motorbikes. Can you guess the reason why there are no cars? It is easy: football, of course. They were passing a match with the Spanish national team that day.

• Maggies's Profile Photo

Driving

by Maggies Updated Apr 26, 2003

A charming street almost at foot of Tibidabo

Unfortunatelly Barcelona's attractions are spread all over the city so you can't really walk to see them all but it's surprisingly easy to move around with a car. There are signs showing how to get to main attractions everywhere and the streets in the center are paralell which makes it even easier. The best way to get from south towards north is taking Gran Via and Ronda Litoral - surrounding city on the sea'a side is very easy to use too.
    Also there are parkings everywhere so it's easy to leave your car. Parking on the street is other thing, very hard to find some spot.

• prunila's Profile Photo

To Rent a car. For example in...

by prunila Written Aug 26, 2002

To Rent a car. For example in Bcn Airport:
    Easyjet (Mercedes Clase A).
    Very good for groups of 4 persons to reach places difficult to go with bus and train, like Cadaqués.
    But motorways are fast and very expensive.
    And not ecologic also.

• We took the car, because we...

by sparhawk Updated Aug 25, 2002

We took the car, because we had free gasoline, so it was very cheap for us to do it that way.
    And from the Netherlands it can be done in less than 2 days.
    Going into the city of Barcelone should be done by public transport, because driving by car is terrible we were told and also there is the risc of breaking into your car when you park it. What we did is go to the train station a in a village near Barcelona and go by train from there.

• I flew in and out of...

by WarrenR Written Aug 25, 2002

I flew in and out of Barcelona, but rented a car and traveled up the coast all the way to Nice and back.
    A car is invaluable if you really want to see the countryside. I like the 'hmmm... this looks good' method of travelling, where you sometimes take random roads and see where they lead.

Instant Answers: Barcelona