What To Avoid, Barcelona

Know about this?

• Bedding ready for the night-on a busy street
    Bedding ready for the night-on a busy...
    by BruceDunning
    RAval street where we stayed
    by BruceDunning
    Graffiti on the store fronts
  • nyunita's Profile Photo

Watch your bag!

by nyunita Updated Dec 9, 2005

Always... always... ALWAYS have your bag with you whenever you're in La Rambla. Someone stole my small bag in Starbucks La Rambla just 12 hours before I have to fly back home.

Arrgghhh!!!

I spent 2 hours at the police office. They don't really speak English well. It took ages to report! Because they have to translate my report into Spanish.

There are 2 police office:
    1. Atencio al turista: La Rambla 43 (less than EUR 400)
    2. La Rambla 80 (more than EUR 400)

Oh please... don't ever loose anything in Spain even though you speak Spanish really well.

• penumbra's Profile Photo

La Playa

by penumbra Written Sep 24, 2005

Yuck

When we got to the beach in Barcelona, it was very disappointing. It was the first time I’d been near the Mediterranean Sea and the beach was covered in rocks and garbage. Fortunately, we asked around and found that an hour south by train there was a beautiful beach at Castelldefels. We took a day trip down there for some tanning and it was well worth the trip.

• Beaches
    • Hiking and Walking

• listenandlearn's Profile Photo

LIFE GUARD YOUR U.S. PASSPORTS FROM PICKPOCKETERS

by listenandlearn Written Jun 29, 2005

The translator and Me with my New U.S. Passport

After so much hazzle reporting to a Spanish Authority -finding a translator (who is standing next to me on this photo) how it all happened so quickly. I ended up spending more than my budget, a New U.S. Passport here in Barcelona cost 96.00 U.S. AMERICAN DOLLARS.
    Guard your U.S. Passports, Your Valuables! Your Airline Tickets, Your Train Tickets...pickpocketers are so rampant and so fast hardly felt anything move next to me when my passport was stolen.

• stigel's Profile Photo

Areas to be especially careful in!

by stigel Written Jun 11, 2005

Plenty of seedy areas left in BCN...

Barcelona and Madrid have a pretty lousy reputation when it comes to petty theft and street crime. However, most trouble can easily be avoided, unprovoked violence is really rare, bar fights and random attacks seem to be much more common in northern Europe.

These areas in particular have a bad rep;

Raval , especially the southern part and at night, one of the few places were I have heard of violent robberies

Las Ramblas & Placa Reial , THE place for pickpockets

Around Paral.lel , this street has become increasingly seedy in recent years and is not of much interest to tourists anyway

The Beaches , If you leave your belongings for just one second you WILL lose them - especially true for Barceloneta

Estació Sants and Sagrada Familia ,
    two other places to watch your bags and wallets

Outside of the old city centre Barcelona is as safe if not safer than most cities in Europe - Enjoy!

• School Holidays

• klebsiella's Profile Photo

Metro at night

by klebsiella Written Apr 3, 2005

Before I went to Barcelona I spoke with some friends that went there and all of them warned me: don't use the Metro at night!
    Unfortunatelly, I dind't pay much attention: I visited Barcelona with 4 (female) friends and, one night, after the fountains-show at Montjuic we had dinner around and, as our hotel was near the Metro station Clot, we took it in Plaça de Espanya, about 10 p.m.
    The station didn't have many people and after we seated a group of 7-8 hispanic boys with large clothes and a strange look came nears us, seated in our bench and started to scary us. As the Metro came, we all entered and we were realy afraid of what could happen after our stop but fortunatelly the boys got oof before us.

So, if you look like a tourist (as we did) and travel with girls I don't think it is a good idea to take the Metro by night, as well as walking around in desert areas.

• Do no get caught urinating in public!!

by chezina Written Mar 29, 2005

Ramblas

Be careful urinating in the streets thinking is Spain and nothing will happen. I was arreted in Ramblas for peeing in the street, but nothing happen they just gave me a 45 euro ticket. But the funny thing was whaen I was going to take money mt ATM didn't work in not a single machine. SO BE VERY CAREFUL DOING THIS DANGEROUS ACT.

• xdreem's Profile Photo

Things to look out for

by xdreem Updated Mar 26, 2005

I read SO many things about pickpockets and other petty theft in Barcelona. Fortunately for me, I did not witness anything of the sort while there. With this said, I was aware of my surroundings at all times, and always watched my back. Don't leave anything in your back pocket, and if possible, don't bring a purse... or bring one that you can hold onto tightly, especially to places like Las Ramblas, where it is so crowded. Enjoy yourself, but just use common sense and ALWAYS be aware.

• Meadows11's Profile Photo

Watch Out For That..... Lamp post??

by Meadows11 Written Mar 11, 2005

It might sound oh so obvious, but considering that one of our lot did this, I feel the need and responsibility to warn all of you. Barcelona contains many lamp posts, and although they are strategically placed away from the middle of the pavement, that didnt stop my friend Ben from walking straight in to one of them whilst talking to me, providing one of the highlights of our (probably not one of his) holiday!

The attatched picture is testament to the fact that you should always be visualant. The red mark on his forehead is a result of the said incident. :)

• Study Abroad
    • Hiking and Walking

• IIGUANA's Profile Photo

Barri Gotic empty streets

by IIGUANA Written Feb 1, 2005

Although the Barri Gotic is impressive, try avoiding the small, empty streets, as you might get robbed. You can visit the Barri Gotic anytime you want, even at night, but stick to the crowded streets. Nothing will happen there.

• Harold_Godwin's Profile Photo

Barcelona Airport Termina B

by Harold_Godwin Written Jul 6, 2004

Terminal B, second from the bottom

I hate writing warnings - especially for nervous flyers. Here, the danger is on the ground, not in the air.

The UGT trade union and airport technical staff warned over a year ago that there is a risk of building collapse at Barcelona Airport's Terminal B (a roof collapse at Roissy-Charles de Gaulle airport killed 4 people on May 23, 2004).

In the Barcelona case, the problem lies in Terminal B where the shopping deck could collapse on to the Iberia check-in terminals below. The UGT union states that the company which carried out weight loading trials also has a contract to expand airport facilities - a clear conflict of interest. Technicians consulted by La Vanguardia newspaper [May 25, 2004, p33, Society Section] are asking for an independent public report. According to UGT studies, the shopping area is only designed for a weight loading of 127 - 197 kilos per sq. metre when building regulations stipulate 400 - 500 kilos per sq. metre for this public use.

The mall was built without reinforcing the original concrete beams (which date back to 1961), says the UGT. The union also points out that the recommendations of a 1991 technical report were ignored. In that report, the Ministry of Works (Fomento), Airport Authority (AENA) and an architectural firm (TABSA) agreed that the upper deck should be subject to low weight loadings. Potted plants were suggested to keep the weight down - a far cry from busy shops and hordes of bargain hunters.

Spain has far more than its share of building collapses and - unlike other countries - does not have major earthquakes as an excuse. High-alumina cement was commonly used in Spain for structural elements up until the late 1970s, when building standards were notoriously slipshod.

So now you know. Avoid the Terminal B check-in area and the shopping floor above it until the problem has been solved. Otherwise you could end up grounded in more ways than one. I shall update this tip when I have more information [tip date: May 25, 2004].

• Business Travel

• danielcv's Profile Photo

Climbing the staircase at The Sagrada Familia

by danielcv Written May 28, 2004

the dizzy view from the top of the staircase

There is nothing dangerous about climbing the stais to the top of the Sagrada Famila's tower - except if you are clastrophobic.

Ok, if you are over 30 or out of shape, dont go up either. To go to the top of the tower you need to climb over 400 steps in a spiral shaped stair case. There is one detail: you cant give up in the middle of the way.

The view up there is beautiful and you will definetly take some nice pictures but be aware that climbing the stair case is only for the adventurous.

• Architecture

• mesoblonda's Profile Photo

Deserted small streets late at night

by mesoblonda Written Mar 30, 2004

Per a police officer my girlfriend spoke to, deserted side streets are a popular haunt for gangs.

Stick to the main roads and busy areas.

Try not to get lost, OK?! And carry a map, even if you're trying to avoid looking like a tourist!

After all this typing, I doubt I've told you something you didn't already know!

(smile)

• Look Like You Know, Even If You Don't

by SusanJH Written Mar 11, 2004

I read a lot about this subject and was prepared. However, I felt very safe in B. I took all the usual precautions and did wear a fanny pack under my jacket so I didn't have a purse hanging. The one time I got lost, I just pretended to know exactly where I was going. Thankfully, I found my way pretty quickly. I was never out past 11 p.m. and things were always busy where I was. It really reminded me on New York City. Very busy and fast.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• taryn_treloar's Profile Photo

AVOID THIS RESTAURANT

by taryn_treloar Written Dec 30, 2003

Pretending to Look Happy After  Disgust

This was the Grossest food I have ever eaten (unfortunately we it was my birthday and we hadn't found the buffet chinese food...) and the service was pitiful....

If you go to a gloomy chinese restaurant in the back alleys near the Gothic Point Hostel....walk out the door because it is a waste of money! ( I don't remember the name of the place..that's how bad it was)

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

Dress properly in the Cathedral

by SirRichard Written Sep 17, 2003

Do's and dont's

If you want to visit Barcelona's Cathedral, watch your clothes, as no "short sleeves" and so will be allowed.
    There is a guard at the main gate who will stop you if you don't dress according to the rules (see sign on the pic).

• Religious Travel