Girona Restaurants

Taken from the streetside

Most Recent Restaurants in Girona

La Tagliatella: Not as good as we thought

by Turska Updated Sep 12, 2013
    Ham, smoked mozzarella and egg pizza

We went here, because it has had so good reviews at many pages, in google and TA and so on. We later thought, we should have taken the pasta..
    We took pizza, and they were quite.."boring". I took a ham pizza with egg and smoked mozzarella and my husband took ham and speck. The pizza sauce was quite tastless, and there was no any kind of spices, not even oregano, and not even served at the table. Thank god I had that smoked mozzarella, to give some taste. There was nothing seriously wrong, but nothing that would make us go there again.
    They didn´t have tables outside, witch was also a negative thing for us. What a shame to sit inside in warm summer night.
    We took the deserts also, and they were o.k.
    Our hopes were quite high, but didn´t fill up..
    Service was friendly, and when we saw the menus, we kept wondering, if this was the same place we ate pasta last summer in Madrid. The pastas were better, if this is part of same chain.

Favorite Dish: Can´t really say.

Dolce Vita: We ate here 3 times in one week

by Turska Updated Sep 11, 2013
    Ravioli with tomato sauce

Maybe it says a lot.. We really ate here at 3 of all 7 nights! We usually allways want to try something new, but every time we felt like we would still want to try that and that and..
    And telll you the truth, we didn´t find so much local food we like in Girona. We don´t really care so much seafood, so it takes lots of foods from our list, and we don´t care any kinds of mushrooms, not even champions, so it felt like every meal had those.
    We both ate different food each time, and still we would have wanted to taste their pizzas, witch looked so delicious, when we saw them at another tables. But we ran out of time to try..
    We also took house white wine at first night, and it was about 8e a bottle, and cava at another nights, and it was around 11e. All good enough for us.
    Pastas and pizzas were from 7 to 10 e. They took 1,20e extra, if you eat the bread they bring to table. But we gladly paid it, since we were allways so hungry after "running" all day around.
    They have a big terrace and the restaurant is also quite big inside. We also noticed many some kind of diplomas on the wall, so we aren´t the only ones to love the place!

Favorite Dish: I had pasta mezzanotte (also known as aglio e olio, and some of you have noticed I love it..), pasta carbonara and escalope milanese. My husband had pasta carbonara with nuts, pasta with pesto and cream and some sort of tomato sauce pasta. All different nights of course. We also tried deserts coupple of nights I took creme catalana another night and it was not as good as pasta (not enough "cunchy" at top, and some kind of chocolade fondat (it was good) another. my husband had whiite chocolade mousse-cake at another and apple pie at another. We really can´t say witch was best, all was good! The escalope Milanese was little dry, i´ve used to have it with small pasta, now there was fried potatos without any sauce.

• Luxury Travel

Cafe Context llibreria: Friendly bar and good beer list

by Turska Updated Sep 9, 2013
    Taken from the streetside

We did walk by the place in many nights, but when it had people drinking wine, and lots of books to read ( I guess they even sell them?) we thought it was only for artists and other bohemians, and wouldn´t suit us. But since we had no service at River cafe at our last night, we decided to go here for a beer. And were happy to notice, that they have more craft beers than the River cafe! And a big terrace outside!
    Weither was very friendly and tried to speak as much as he could with his English. He told us that the beer we choose is made by his friend! So he wanted to know how we liked it. We did like it a lot (wheat beer from Pechs) and told him to say so to his friend.
    Only sad thing about this place is, that we didn´t stop in it untill last night! They would have had intresting beers, and much more wellcoming service than the River cafe. If we ever do come back to Girona, we must go here.

Favorite Dish: They do have some foods also, but since we didn´t ate, I will say the craft beers! :)
    There was also many kinds of wine and other alcohols and reasonable prices!

• Turska's Profile Photo

r27 BURGER BAR: Great burgers!

by Turska Updated Sep 9, 2013

This is the first time I ever had a REAL good burger! I´m a stranger at my age (no, I´m not a teen, far from that allready, but most people our age do love burgers) when I say I really don´t like burgers.
    I don´t like the burger buns, tasting nothing.. I don´t like tomatos so much (they seem to be in every burger) and I don´t like minced meat.. So.. My husband loves burgers, and every once in a while I will go to places like this. And usually I´m not satisfied.. But they did have great buns, like home made bread! I think they either do them themselves or buy from some local bakery shop. And I asked mine without tomatos, and it was no problem (sometimes I feel like a ifficult customer when asking without something..) and best of all! When I ordered Chicken ceasar hambugre, the chicken REALLY tasted great! It was marinated for 12h (at least told at menu) and tasted like made in charbroil grill (maybe not, but tasted so) and no non spicy only salted chicken fillet. It was so good, that it wets my mouth to think about it! And my husband took a some sort of chili hamburger with normal hamburger beef made from minced meat, and he did aso love it. And you could choose witch kind of potatos you want (or not have them at all) and none of them was anything like in Mc Donalds -kind of places.
    And that wasn´t all! The prices were all under 10e for hamburger, I think mine was 7,50 and the potatos 3e extra, or something like that. And they even had some beers to choose, not only "small or big beer". Great experience, really recommended!!
    Weitress said she don´t speak a lot of English, but she was so friendly and found the ways to communicate! And even get my order without tomatos right! Sometimes it´s hard to get that even with my own language.

Favorite Dish: Chicken ceasar hamburger. The photos are poor because of the darkness, we ate late outside.

El Doll: Students area

by Turska Written Sep 9, 2013

They do serve tapas, but the main thing seemed to be the beer and the taps at table, where one can fill their own glasses. Strangely when we went there because they had some interesting beers from Belgium (our favourite beer country) witch costed much more than those beers from tap on the table, the weitress seemed to not want us there. Not a look in the eyes, not a smile, I might even say she didn´t say "thanks" (and I don´t mean in English only, none language, we said thanks in Spanish). I belive we brought more money to pub than those tap beers, but since we felt so unwellcome, we only drank one beer per person and left. We might have gone here many nights if the feeling would have been different.
    Place was full of students, maybe they didn´t want any others there? Or they liked the locals better? Or were we too old ;) Anyway only one visit then..

I think the Estrella beer was cheap with the card (witch you show to tap, witch gives you beer) from the tap. So I will add "budget travel" here.

Favorite Dish: Belgian beers.. Didn´t try the tapas.

Sorry about the web page and fb-page beeing wrong way at contacts, but the fb-page didn´t fit at "other".

• Study Abroad

The River cafe: Craft beers, live music

by Turska Written Sep 8, 2013

We went here because of the craft beer Moska. We love to find new beers to taste, and craft beers are "our thing". We went here allmost every night of the week, but didn´t notice any more friendliness after many times.The women weitresses were quite friendly, but at our last night we sat over half an hour in the table and 4 different men weitresses passing by, nobody asking us to order. The pther nights we have allready noticed that the staff isn´t so friendly, or they don´t care about us(?), but no we had enough. Happily we found more craft beers from another pub nearby (sadly we found the place at our last night..). I will add that pub here also.
    Moska was good (by the way, in Finnish the word "moska" is something like "the dirt" :) )and the black one, porter was the best.
    We only ate patatas bravas (made from frozen potatos, like sadly in all places in Girona, so they were more like french fires in different shape..) and chili-cheesepoppers, so can´t say much about the food. I did read the menu, so I know the prices. There was some pizzas, finger foods and salads for example.

Favorite Dish: Moska beer . The only thing we came here so often.

• Restaurant Turc El Bósforo: Don´t miss The ship of Bosphorus, and Iskender

by mersany Updated Nov 6, 2011

Girona´s famous turkish restaurant. The name "Bósforo" means "Bosphorus". Almost they prepare all the well-known turkish plates very well. It´s the only turkish restaurant in the Girona Province. The owner is a turkish who lives in Girona for 17 years, and speaks catalan and spanish as well. In Girona, catalan people they appreciate so much when a stranger speaks catalan. For Girona people the Bósforo represents a windows of Turkey. The restaurant has the menu in many different languages. If you desire you can have an idea in this link how the interior ambience is:
    The food is very tasty, healthy and very fresh. Always you can find the same fresh taste. Atention of the staff is very correctly. The prices are cheap. Also there is possibility of belly-dancing.

Favorite Dish: The ship of the Boshorus (El Vaixell del Bósforo) is very interesting because it a mixed degustation plate of 12 diferents plates (meze), one of the plates which is called Izmir Salata is prepared with dates, yogurt, nuts, caramelized onions. I didn´t taste something more delicious than this plate in my life. Iskender is my favorate plate. It has just four ingredients very well-combined. The lahmacun of this restaurant is more tasteful than in Turkey. Köfte is a very good and equilibrated plate with salad,meat balls and potatoes. Musakka is a pastel of vegetables with meat ,covered with cheese.

is Musakka, Iskender, Köfte, Baklava,

• Bronsoms: Tasty menue for 9,30 Euros!

by merak Updated Sep 20, 2011

You may find the prices for normal eating a bit high in Girona, compared to Barcelona or other cities. But here I give you a place where the relation between quality and price is good. They have typical North Catalonian pork specialities., but also grilled fish. The dessert is no longer homemade, but a rise of just 40 cents and the fully renovated furniture/ decoration in the last three years justify that.

At least on weekdays, from about 13:00 to 15:30h you may get really tasty local plates (two, including beverage and sweet) for 9,30 Euros

As no more baggage can be stored at the train station, you can ask if they would take it until you come to have the meal. For me he did it.

Going from Girona airport to Girona by bus and then by train (regional) to Barcelona costed together 8 Euros in 2008. In 2011 the one way prices for the train ride vary between 6,90 for slow and 9,50 Euros for the express trains.

• Raimix's Profile Photo

JORBEL: Bar - cofeteria

by Raimix Updated Oct 13, 2010

Jorbel is a nice small cozy bar at the square of Sant Pere. Here first time Spanish tortilja (omelette) and good taste sandwitches with streaky bacon were tried.

Here we met nice Latino American looking waitress, she helped us to orient where to find at least one food shop, working on Sundays :)

The place has quite reasonable prices and looked like having popularity by local visitors.

• Raimix's Profile Photo

La Taverna: First food in Spain

by Raimix Updated Oct 13, 2010

La Taverna is simple food restaurant at the square of Constitution. It was first food buing place in Girona and Spain. I have taken a day food consisting of salad, the turkey and tea. Actually it was strange for them I take tea instead of coffee (looks like coffee is so traditional in Spain ;)

Moreover, place was first test to speak in English with local waitress. She told they don’t have any juice despite the other people around were drinking it and she were taking juice to others ;)

Anyway, food was good; atmosphere was quite loud, “Spanish”. The price of a day meal was 8 euros.

• La Terra Café: Good food, nice atmosphere, nice view

by caules Written Jan 27, 2009

La Terra caf��, Girona, Catalonia, entrance

Very cosy bar, beautifully decorated with spanish tiles. A very nice view over the river from the tables close to the window. They bake their own pies, try their carrot cake!

Also good snack food like yummy (biologic) hamburgers, sandwhiches, vegetarian hamburger, soups, etcetera. Not much choice, but really good quality. RIght in the middle of the historic Center, in one of the most pinturesque streets of Girona.

Favorite Dish: Carrot cake and Spinach hamburger

• Belsaita's Profile Photo

volta i volta: a meal with a view

by Belsaita Updated Oct 27, 2008

"volta i volta" restaurant in Plaça Independencia is just OK, average Mediterranean food, but not pricey and if you reserve a table near the window you can enjoy fabulous views to the river/famous colored houses/old city while having lunch or dinner

Favorite Dish: "Menu del dia" for 9 € on weekdays, 15 € on festive days.

• bonio's Profile Photo

several!: Tapas Crawl!

by bonio Written Mar 26, 2008

In Spain at least on evening meal is a tapas crawl, visit several bars, try a few dishes in each and then move on. It works very well. Here in Girona we opted for Placa de la Independencia, plenty of bars to choose from, don't recall any of their names, it was a good night, and no too expensive.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Gran Muralla: Chinese

by bonio Written Mar 24, 2008

Spotted this restaurant on my walk home from the football stadium, it's about a 10 minute walk from the old town, so a predominantely local custom and doing a good takeaway trade too, always think that is a positive sign.
    Food excellent, good vegetarian choice for Mrs Bonio in a friendly and comfortable restaurant, enjoyed our visit.

• TheaIren's Profile Photo

Cal Ros: Fresh fish

by TheaIren Written Mar 23, 2008

Traditional local food, dishes of rice and fresh fish from the Costa Brava

Favorite Dish: Snail's - I tried them first time...as the souce was very spicy...couldnt get exactly what is the actual taste of the snail. But souce with the snail was very good. I like spicy food.

Instant Answers: Girona

Comments

Girona Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Girona restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Girona sightseeing.