Girona Restaurants

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Lunch menu

by MalenaN Written Mar 3, 2008

Paella

To have one of the lunch menu offers in Spain can be a good deal. For a set price you will get a starter, a main course, a desert, bread and something to drink. There are normally a few dishes to choose from.
    In Girona I went to a small café on Carrer de la Forca and had tortilla as a starter, paella as the main course and ice-cream as desert. To drink I had a “jarra” of vine. All this was 10 Euro (plus tip).
    In a few places in Barcelona where I had had the lunch menu they gave me everything to eat very quickly, but at this café there was time between each course and that I liked. Unfortunately I can’t remember the name of the café, and the sign seen on one of my photos is not clear enough to read.

• Belsaita's Profile Photo

Xocolateria Antiga: something sweet... veeery sweet!

by Belsaita Written Jan 1, 2008

Xocolateria Antiga - interior

"Antiga" means old or ancient in Catalan. This is certainly a lovely old-style place. Very nice for having a rest. Even better: to sample some "xocolata amb melindros" (tick hot chocolate with soft cookies) to warm you up on winter after a long walk around the old city. Around 5-6 PM the place becomes crowded by locals and the smell of chocolate will make it very difficult to resist the temptation... you're warned! ;o)

• DPando's Profile Photo

Local bar-restaurant: Old town Vs new city

by DPando Written Dec 26, 2007

We finally went to new town where we found a bar-restaurant where paella was serve for 7.50eur each (a bargain) and a quite good one !! we avoided the lower old town because a normal menu costs around 9 eur but just there the fare was 12 eur.. !! so expensive for a menu.. maybe its nicer but extremmely expensive for a menu.. so just take a look around and choose..

• DPando's Profile Photo

ask for the menu: lot of places

by DPando Written Dec 26, 2007

these pictures belong a typical (colmado) grocery store where you can buy all typical products from pork.. a great experience taste anything bought here.. its so cosy buy something here because it has the former local live in Girona or in any other city..

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Zanpanzar: Tapas or Pintxos

by scottishvisitor Updated Nov 11, 2007

Zanpanzar restaurant is a small local bar with a seperate restaurant with a very varied menu. We ate in the bar which had a cosy atmosphere, although the place was busy with business lunches being served, service was good. The waitress was a bit sour until we used a bit of local lingo - her warm smile brightened up the bar.

Favorite Dish: Here they don't serve tapas - the speciality here is Pintxos which is traditional Basque cuisine also known as Pinchos. These are cold finger foods served on a slice of bread with a cocktail stick to ease serving. We also tried the local wine Txakoli which is slightly sparkling white wine served in little tumblers and the very delicious Bravas - deep fried potato pieces served with tangy salsa and tomato dip. An enjoyable and relaxing lunch for under 15 euros

• Women's Travel
    • Architecture

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Rex: Coffee & Crepes & a Quick Telephone Call

by scottishvisitor Updated Nov 10, 2007

On our arrival in Girona and walking totally in the wrong direction we eventually realised we were not in the tourist spots so we retraced our steps and stopped at the Cafe Rex on the edge of the tourist route. Moira who had been here before, phoned her Sisters to try and locate our position. This made me realy mad as I could see the great Cathedral in the distance. Rex was just a simple cafe but it hit the spot calming my temper.You can eat inside or outside in the two patio areas - we chose the second one nearest the road.

Favorite Dish: Moira had some wine and I a white coffee, we both had crepes with lemon and sugar, such a sweet delight to bring friends once again together. Prices were reasonable with the total bill accumulating to just under eight euros.

• Women's Travel
    • Architecture

• mstinawu's Profile Photo

Cal Ros: Great Food and Ambiance

by mstinawu Written Oct 16, 2007

Iberian ham w/ snails and my friend's risotto

The owner of the hotel we stayed at in Girona suggested this place. He lives in the city and mentioned they had great traditional Catalan food. They really did! My vegetarian friend enjoyed her risotto very much even though it was the only choice available to her. I had an Iberian ham w/ crusted nuts on top--moist and flavorful.

• mstinawu's Profile Photo

Creperie Bretonne Anaick: Best Crepes Outside of France

by mstinawu Written Oct 6, 2007

Our sweet hazlenut sauce crepe.. Mmm..

My friend and I both got the crepes. They were simply delicious. The savory crepes were salty and crispy. The sweet crepes were not too sweet and delightfully thin.

Favorite Dish: I don't have a favorite dish but everyone goes for the crepes. I noticed a lot of people order salads as well.

• Belsaita's Profile Photo

Creperie Bretonne Anaick: The best crepes in town!

by Belsaita Updated Jul 19, 2007

Creperie Bretonne Anaick location map

Yes, crepes are not typical from the area. But as I can get Catalan food at home and I love crepes, I try to eat at this place when in Girona.... they make some of the best crepes/galettes I ever had. Better than in some places in France (said by a French friend!)

Favorite Dish: The menu offers many varieties of both "galettes de sarrasin" with the most delicious and tasty fillings (my personal favs are the ones with spinachs, mushrooms and chese), and sweet crepes with fresh fruits, chocolate, cream, etc.

To drink, you may have a cup of authentic cider of Bretagne (yes, a cup, or kind of small bowl, not a glass ;)

The same owners have restaurants in Barcelona, Colliure and Valencia as well, but the one in Girona is the original. Very fun and interesting decoration, into an old building.

• Vinil Som el Que Mengem: Great food, great price, great location

by joshgibson Written Jun 26, 2007

For 9.5 euros, you get three courses plus a bottle of wine for your table. Great food, great serving size, charming outdoor patio in an ancient, narrow street. Staff are friendly and helpful. Local and authentic place.

• Paolo-Italy's Profile Photo

Lizarran: Good tapas and wine

by Paolo-Italy Updated Jun 3, 2007

Another suggestion of our dear VT friend Malecka. Just on the riverside, in a beautiful square scenario, this tapas bar offers a good choice of tapas and wines. I had a beer (the famous estrella), with some delicious fish tapas. Some people singing and plaiyng guitar and accordion, nice people eating at tipical spanish late hours...

Favorite Dish: Mussels and octopus salad. Delicious.

• ozalp's Profile Photo

Frankfurter Konig: Nice salads and sangria

by ozalp Written Apr 19, 2007

Restaurant

Unless the place is a pub, we ordered much local food. I wanted a sangria, first our waitress told us they did not have. Then she found some for us. She was really kind. Mom picked a salad and I, bistec planchado con patatas fritas. All of them was delicious. I hardly stopped myself to want another steak.

Favorite Dish: Grilled steak and salad

• Wine Tasting

• Malecka's Profile Photo

Lizarran: Did you say TAPAS???

by Malecka Updated Mar 12, 2007

entrance of Lizarran

I just love Lizarran's tapas. They make a little bit of everything, the interior is really cosy and comfy, has a great view towards the Old town and they play good music.
    ...
    the tapas served are also suitable for vegetarians... well, at least a part of the offer.
    Highly recommended... located at Plaça de Independencia...

Favorite Dish: the cheese-&-peppers croquettes. And the pinchos with pate made from black olives.
    ... and their "patatas bravas".
    See, that particular dish, patatas bravas, is quite a famous product almost everywhere in Spain, and this sometimes can be a disadvantage. Why? Well, because people know that "patatas bravas" is sort of a brand, many people who come here have heard about it and inevitably order. So, in many places they are not exactly good. (I have tried some BAD versions of patatas bravas).
    The ones served in Lizarran, in my opinion, are the BEST I have tried. And they have NEVER disappointed me.

• Trains

• Mimolet Restaurant: Great lunch special!

by lizoo Written Dec 28, 2006

We lucked into this restaurant a few days after it opened last February (2006) and had a great set price lunch for only 12.50 euros, instead of 25 euros at night. Minimalist style design, excellent service. The waiter (and owner) spoke at least four languages which meant that I did not have to resort to almost inexistent Catalan or rusty Spanish. We loved this place so much we returned two days in a row.
    I have heard that the restaurant has become quite popular since then so prices may have shot up.

Favorite Dish: The food is typical Catalan food. I especially loved the grilled esparagus with Catalan sauce (I forget the name...). The wine was good too, local Empordà red wine and good cheap Cava.

• dutchboycalledjan's Profile Photo

El Gul de la Lleona: Catalana y marroquina dishes in Girona

by dutchboycalledjan Updated Aug 11, 2006

We had a very good and stylish - square plates, amongst others - lunch in this small restaurant in the old center of Girona. It was crowded when we came in - late in the afternoon - and we were the last to leave. Very good menu item, good bread, good music very friendly people.
    Ask for the coloured pencils to make your own drawings during the wait!
    I suppose I do not have to give you a translation of the name - it refers to a lion close by.

Favorite Dish: The chicken was very good, also the eggplant (aubergine) with goat cheese and i had the rice with sea food.

• Trains

Instant Answers: Girona

Comments

Girona Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Girona restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Girona sightseeing.