Denia Off The Beaten Path

Denia still has it's charm.
    Cute Dog sunbathing.
    Me on the pier

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Denia

• rachel_sun's Profile Photo

Denia castle is set on a hill

by rachel_sun Updated Apr 4, 2011

DENIA CASTLE ON A HILL

I enjoyed the Lemon Express as a good day out.The Lemon Express is the oldest tourist train in Spain.It's been around since the 1920's.Since it has been completely done up and now has a toilet and buffet car.The Spanish Government of Valencia own it.The trip leaves Benidorm railway station and goes through places such as Altea, Calpe,Benissa and Teulada and arrives in Gata De Gorges about an hour and 20 mins later.During the journey you will have guides telling you about the area and you will have loads of time to take pics etc.The train even slows down at the nicest stops.
    While in Gata people can visit a guitar factory and wonder around the town which is worth seeing for it's whicker ware.I enjoyed the huge range of shops here.Especially the ethnic style ones.On the return trip the drink starts flowing.Champagne and soft drinks are served the entire trip back.My fav part ;-)
    There is a great happy atmosphere with music and this makes a great end to a great trip.Well worth doing.Tickets are sold at travel agencies and hotels.You can also call Benidorm railway station to book tickets.

call between 9-2 and 5-8.The ticket is then bought to your hotel or apartment and you will be picked up for free too.There are set coach pick up points in the area

• Trains

Denia still is charming

by rachel_sun Written Jan 29, 2007
    Denia still has it's charm.

Hello
    Although Denia has changed over the last few years, it still is mostly nice and relaxing. Some things have changed for the better. For instance a couple of Indian restaurants have opened up, new shops etc, new promenades being built and gardens. Beaches being widened etc. So there is now more to do and see. South beaches are the best place to relax now. North beaches near my house are still ok in places. Hopefully they will not develope much more of them and keep some places rustic. At the moment they are still quiet. I also have read a big shopping mall is going to open soon and a large sports complex with outdoor and indoor pools. A Chinese restaurant has opened up where my place is but I have been told it is not very good. It is called something Wok. I was told food was expensive and not that good etc. If you want good food, try The Mandarin( large dragons out front).
    Also Denia are having a huge Port extension I believe. So more boats can stay at Denia. So all in all things that will help the area improve I think.

• Sailing and Boating

New Buildings

Stunning coastline

Where my place is the building has taken off.I felt abit sad when I visited again as I saw new buildings and cranes.I just hope they keep it nice and do not over due the building and ruin the place.I am glad to say along this coast road there are villas already so they cannot build big buildings all along the coast as the villas break this up.Where my house is there is lots of new buildings going up too.It is still nice at the moment and lets just hope they knew when to stop.Keep things nice and not too built up.Fingers crossed.The beach at El Verger is still very unspoilt and well worth going to to get away from it all.

• Water Sports

Building Work

Me on the pier

Each time we visit Denia we see new buildings that have gone up.Luckily the beach at El Verger is still unspoilt.We noticed they had built huge pier things out of rock.We walked along them and had a great view along the coast.I believe they were built to stop erosion.This part of the coast is very pebbley and I think in the future they may make it sandy such as other beaches in the area.I quite like the pebbles but I guess sand is nicer and easier to walk on etc.

Spanish Dog

Cute Dog sunbathing.

While walking along the Oliva/Denia road we saw this cute dog looking over a balcony sunning itself.I just thought it looked so cute and funny I had to take a photo.The beach along this road is still unspolit and it is worth taking a look.Buildings are starting to spring up so take a look before it's natural state vanishes.Anywhere between els poblets and Oliva.I wonder if I will see this dog on my next trip.

Bones over 50,000 years old inside cave

Inside the cave.

As we entered the cave I was amazed at how big it was.There was lighting and eerie music playing while we made our way through the cave.This is a natural cave with lots of stalacmites and stalactites and had huge big domes and some were as high as 60ft or more.The cave was about 300m deep and as we walked along the wooden platform we saw some fossils that were thousands even millions of years old in the cave walls.The colour of the rock was also impressive and it was like art in a way with all the beautiful colours and formations.Cavemen used to live in the cave.The cave is on the road between Pedreguer and Benidoleig.About 9km from Denia.

• Archeology

Benidoleig Caves

Entrance to the caves.

I've just got back from Spain(costa blanca) and went to the caves at Benidoleig.They are about 6 km from Denia.Well worth visiting.Our visit lasted around half an hour and was pleasant.There is parking outside and they have eerie music playing.You go into a shop to buy your entrance tickets.Which were 3 euros each.The caves open all year and open at 9am til dusk.Costa Blanca has loads of caves worth visiting.The shop also had a small snack bar with seating and gifts for sale.The entrance to the cave was a short walk up a wooden platform and you entered through a huge impressive metal gate.

• Archeology

Lets catch a ferry to Ibiza at Denia port

CATCH A FERRY TO IBIZA AT DENIA PORT

I enjoyed going into the local supermarket and buying a selection of meats , pates and sausages etc.I do like to try the local foods and am not frightened of trying anything really.I loved the tasty sausages and pates.They are not really that big here in England and it was nice seeing the vast selection in Spain in the local supermarkets.The sausage i bought was very garlicy and the pate very rich.I also tried the local wines of course ;-).I was going to goto Denia market which is held on Fridays but was ill so did not have the chance.But on my next trip im going to goto the market and buy some food from there rather than from the supermarket.

Directions:
    Im going to try the black rice dish next too as it looks very strange .

• rachel_sun's Profile Photo

Denia is so neat and tidy and pretty

by rachel_sun Updated Apr 21, 2004

DENIA HAS CLASSY ROUNDABOUTS TOO'-)

I have drove along the coastline from Les Arenetes to Cape San Antonio many times as its simply stunning.The mountains run along the coast and there are many beautiful coves and bays waiting to be found along the way.The sea is a wonderful clear blue colour and looks really inviting.There are several Moorish settlements worth looking at along the way too.Sorell,Cairola,La Solana and Benissit.Perched on the hills as you drive along.Its very impressive seeing these and they are worth going to see.Alcala valley has a great example of Moorish architecture.
    Along the coast from Denia to Javea are lots of caves that can only be reached by boat.I've not explored them as yet and tend to the next time I go out.Cova Tallada is suposed to be very famous cave and well worth seeing.
    It is 150 metres deep and has a small freshwater lake and stalactites.I want to visit this next time im out in Costa Blanca.Another cave I want to see next time is the Calaveras Cave at Benidoleig.It is 400 metres in length and is said to have beautiful stalactites and stalacmites

• rachel_sun's Profile Photo

Denia has a beautiful beach front

DENIA HAS LUSH GARDENS TOO

Visit Javea,27km from Calpe.In spring Javea is full of the scents of lemons and orange blossoms.Javea is said to be environmentally perfect and it has two beautiful churches too.Denia has along sandy beach and a castle and a 2500ft mountain to climb up.On a clear day,you can see Ibiza which is 100km away.

Just East of Denia ,there is a freshwater cave with two lakes,Near here is Vergel with it's great Safari Park.Do see a festival,there are 100's on each year.Check with the Tourist Office for dates(TEL-0171 499-0901).I enjoyed a boat trip around the coastline and the watersports on offer were great too.If you smoke(I do not)cigars are very good value here...

The countryside around Denia is stunning.Mountains and valleys and beautiful little towns and orange groves.Xalo is well worth visiting as its wine and sausages are well worth sampling.Its about 18kms from Denia.I enjoyed going up Sierra del Montgo which are 753 metres above sea level and walking around at the viewpoint.There is several parking areas and short walks and on a clear day u can see Ibiza.There are caves on the mountains too.We also visited some remains on a cliff over looking Calpe.One side you can see down to Javea and Calpe and the other you can see down to Denia's coast.

• Castles and Palaces

Instant Answers: Denia

Comments

Denia Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Denia off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Denia sightseeing.