Irish pubs, Madrid

Know about this? Rate It!

Irish pubs
  • vivalasteph's Profile Photo

Irish pubs: La Fontana de Oro

by vivalasteph Written Nov 18, 2003

La Fontana

I've heard that Madrilenos are not that thrilled with the Irish pubs that have moved into their city, and understand, but must share my happy experience at this pub. I stopped in on a Wednesday night for a pint of Murphy's and discovered the big screen down and the Blackburn-Liverpool match about to start. Ah, an oasis for an English footie fan!

Three pints later and I was saying "zhiiiss plaish iss ggreaaat."!

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

The biggest in Madrid?: O'Neill's

by Nathalie_B Written Apr 14, 2007

O'Neill's

Sure I had to see at least one Irish pub in Madrid. Actually it was my second, but I'll never find the first one because it was New Year's Eve and the beer was flowing and .....well, I don't even remember the name of the place.
    Anyway, O'Neill's is another story. Ursula (Urzu on VT) and I went there for 2 purposes. And the first purpose was sad. For a long time our dear Bernishand and I were planning to have Guinness together, one day. Unfortunately, our plans were interrupted by the damn cancer. That evening, Urzu and I were drinking for Berni. I loved that women dearly, although we never had the chance to meet.
    My second reason was happier that the previous. I needed to go to an Irish bar in Madrid and remember the place when I leave it :)

Now, imagine a huge place, 2 floors, ocean of chairs and tables, typical Irish bar design, and just like that, on a wall a huge, church-size organ. I couldn't believe my eyes. I wonder if it's still operating. Anyway, I have the feeling that this is the biggest Irish bar of Madrid.
    However, life music shows take place regularly and attract many local and tourists. I have to admit that there were more tourists in that bar than in any other place I've seen in Madrid. I assumed that the reason foreigners "hit" Irish pubs is the language. All the waitresses and bar tenders speak perfect English, which makes tourists' lives much easier.

The bar is located in a very nice area not far from Plaza Mayor. This is were most of the cinty center's nightlife is concentrated. The Guinness was very good. I definitely didn't taste any water in it. The price is average. And the atmosphere is really great!
    Highly recommended!

• Music
    • Beer Tasting

• nancyw's Profile Photo

Irish pubs: Great pubs near Puerto del Sol

by nancyw Written May 25, 2003

Each night we hit a different bar or pub - and enjoyed all of them. I met one guy from Iceland, another from Uruguay and more American college kids than I could count.

Even after sangria and (I can't believe this) Screaming Blue Lamborghinis, walking back in the wee hours to the hotel was safe - with lots of people on the streets even at 3 a.m.

• The Handyman's Tavern: Hi-jinks in Handyman Tavern

by Minority19 Written Aug 16, 2003

Absolutely wonderful service! On first glances the place looked slightly dead, but once we got behind the bar teaching the barman how to make a coke and guinness, and the owner a baby guinness, things definitley looked up! They put on U2 and The Corrs for the 5 irish girls who invaded their pub, and even provided a complimentry shot of god-only-knows-what! The waitress, from Argentina, could tell us almost everythinga bout Irish history and the troubles in the North, took photos and was just generally loca :0) We had two wonderful nights there, and I would definitley recommend the place!

Dress Code: No dress code.... c'mon IT'S AN IRISH PUB!!

• Lorro's Profile Photo

Moore's (Tribunal): English Spoken

by Lorro Written Dec 14, 2005

There are loads of Irish and English pubs in Madrid. Moores is quite convenient and one I visit every so often. On Monday night there is a Pub Quiz, in English. There is a "menu del Dia" for lunch Mon-Fri. Live Football Champions League and Premiership matches. At Thanksgiving they even do a thanksgiving dinner for all the displaced Americans who need to have their Turkey with gravy.

picture to come...

• virtualpatrick's Profile Photo

O'Connell St. Bar: O'Connell St. Bar

by virtualpatrick Written Feb 7, 2007

Our group at O'Connell St. bar

Where ever you go, there's always a few Irish pubs you can find to hang out in or as a gathering place to meet up with friends. O'Connell's in Madrid is one of them. It's in the Puerta del Sol / Santa Ana area so it's in a central place.

Has a couple of bars, and I think a pool table. Live music on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

• virtualpatrick's Profile Photo

O' Neills: O' Neills

by virtualpatrick Updated Apr 4, 2011

At O'Neills

O' Neills in Madrid is the other Irish pub that's always great to hangout in. It's in the Puerta del Sol / Santa Ana area so it's in a central place.

And it's on the same street as a hostal I have stayed in several times that I've been to Madrid. How convenient.

As you go into the bar, there's a snug area to the right near the window where there are table/chairs and benches. If you're with a group or waiting for people, try to get this area and claim it for the whole night/morning. Our group closed it down till 4:30 or 5:00am.

• jorgejuansanchez's Profile Photo

Irish pubs: pleasant pub close to Puerta del Sol

by jorgejuansanchez Written Aug 10, 2005

One of the most popular Pubs close to Puerta del Sol is LA FONTANA DE ORO. In the past was a kind of cenacle, like Rabelais’ Abbey of Theleme, where gathered our intellectuals of the XIX century. The Pub is renowned due to the novel with its title by our literature genius Benito Perez Galdos. One plaque in the façade of this pub reminds this fact. Today is a very pleasant pub with lively music serving Spanish and Irish beers, Sherry wines and cocktails, very frequented by Spaniards and foreigners alike, especially Americans staying in the Hotel Paris. Nearby is PLAZA DE SANTA ANA with many pubs and one Hawaii Kai. PALACIO DE CRISTAL is a lovely cafeteria/pub with piano music located in the sidewalk of the Boulevard Recoletos. A glamorous one In the Gran Via is CHICOTE, where you will notice fixed on its walls hundreds of photographs of famous personages who visited Madrid in the past, from Presidents of USA to renowned Italian movie actresses.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting
    • Music

• undisputed's Profile Photo

Palacia Gaveyera: Nite Clubs

by undisputed Updated Feb 21, 2005

Excellent nite spot 'Palacia Gaveyera' Located at heart of madrid,SOL.Posing are my friends from Norwaygien and Spanish.Every thrusdays the club is full of foreigners..they play all kind of music ..from Latino,western to Jazz music

• Moore's n co Tribunal: The rudest waiter in Madrid

by emseg1977 Written Jul 7, 2011

Please do not go to this bar. I have just had to deal with the rudest waiter ever. I commented that the English translation on the menu was terrible and responded by calling me a 'gillipollas' and shouting and getting aggresive and also making comments to other patrons. He would not give me his name and his colleague told me that he is usually even worse.
    AVOID THIS PLACE!

• Irish pubs: Finbars

by jacket Written Sep 11, 2006

Definitely the place to be, great to get out of the city centre and away from the over priced tourist bars....cheap pints during the day with all the main sporting events although the staff were abit cold at first but they soon made me feel at home and made my stay a memorable one...Finbars is a relaxing not a 5 star bar but still worth a visit.....

Instant Answers: Madrid