Live music & shows, Madrid

Know about this? Rate It!

side of Florida Park off paseo Panama st
    by gwened
    Florida park main entrance at Retiro
    by gwened
    BOB SANDS BIG BAND at Bogui Jazz club
    by mindcrime
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Florida Park: live music at Florida Park/Retiro

by gwened Updated Feb 23, 2013
    side of Florida Park off paseo Panama st

another of my times in Madrid that still goes strong after 40 years, right inside Retiro park and very near where I used to live.

we used to come for dances, teen disco, now it has change over the years, it has dance and flamenco shows, group dinners, and live flamenco performance from 77 euros dinner and show, following the great can can cabarets of the world. A beautiful terrace in summer months.

a bit of history, king Fernando VII early in the 19C built this building for the enjoyment of queen Isabel II on a persian style. This was used as a hunting lodge and meetings on what was the Royal House. When the crown gave the parque del buen retiro or retiro park to the city of Madrid this old building came to be a chapel, then early in the 20C a spa and by the middle of the 20C a house of events/dances . Which it has continue to todays.

a unique experience in Madrid not to be missed. Still grand
    update now great flamenco shows there too, very lively and great ambiance in a historic place in the middle of a historic park, lol!

Dress Code: dress to kill

• gwened's Profile Photo

Joy Eslava: Live music at joy eslava

by gwened Written Jul 22, 2012

one of the historical of this city; When I was a teen living there, this was the theater scenario we came for organised parties, disco music. The place was popping and great. Then it grew into an all out discotheque, and now its a multi purpose place with comedies, cabaret, teen disco, dance, live shows, concerts, private parties ,you name it

Its still a popping place after 40 years of Madrid nightlife, cant missed coming here for nightlife.

Dress Code: dress to kill

• Singles

• piglet44's Profile Photo

Live music & shows: Fun Jazz Club

by piglet44 Written Apr 17, 2011

If you walk along Calle Las Huertas you will find a couple of Jazz clubs. One is called Cafe Populart, and the other ,nearer to Santa Ana Square is called Cafe Central. Both are nice but if you want to hear live music you have to go a bit earlier to book a table as they get packed out.The first night we tried they were both full and so the next time we popped in before our evening meal to book a table.We heard a Jazz band from San Francisco called Natural Gas. It was great fun .I wish we had had the time to go back and do that again... it will have to wait for next time.Oh, and it's free!

Dress Code: whatever you like.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

El Berlin Jazz Cafe: Great Life Jazz

by Roadquill Updated Apr 4, 2011

Jazz Spot

A great little jazz club just off of Gran Via. I enjoyed a samba jazz guitarist, play with a Spanish female vocalist and a percussionist one evening and it was great. Intimate setting and reasonable price. 6 euro cover, plus 5 euro for a beer.

Dress Code: Pretty casual

TEATRO ALBENIZ: concerts and musicals

entrance of TEATRO ALBENIZ

It was nice surprise to see a top greek singer live in Madrid. The theatre was full of locals which was another surprise for me. Later I learned that Haris Alexiou(video) is popular in Spain the last years. The sound in the theatre was great the perfomance good so we had a nice gig for 25euro.

The Albeniz theatre was built in 1945 and it is one of the biggest in Spain with 1040 people capacity. You can see here large scale theatre, dance and musical performances and also the annual Caja Madrid’s Flamenco Festival.

We bought our tickets online two days before. The theatre is located near Sol square so you can pass by and check who’s playing.

BOGUI JAZZ: another jazz spot

BOB SANDS BIG BAND at Bogui Jazz club

Although I got bored with BOB SANDS BIG BAND(video) the place seemed nice to me. There are some chairs in the front of the stage where you can see the band but the place aint big anyway. We made a reservation before arrival to be sure though. The entrance fee was about 8 euros and then we payed for the drinks.

The concert started at 23:30 and lasted till 01:30. Bogui jazz club opened in 2005 and has live music every night. Check their site for the program list.

CAFE JAZZ POPULART: jazz and blues every night

CANAL STREET JAZZ BAND at Cafe Jazz Populart

This is another jazz spot in Madrid I love. Most of the night is packed with people standing while listening to the daily live performances. Usually the concert starts at 23:00 till around 02:00am. There is a small break at 00:00 when I realised how many people were inside the club...

If you want a table you can make a reservation or go there early. We were lucky and had a table next to the stage when we saw Canal Street Jazz band(video).

we just drink beers, we didnt see the menu so I dont know if food is available here.

CAFÉ CENTRAL: jazz music

LARRY MARTIN BAND at Cafe Central

I always feel happy having around some nice jazz club. Café Cental is located in walking distance from Puerta del Sol and it's one nice jazz club that offers live music every night.

Usually the concerts start at 22:00 and lasts about 2 full hours. You can check their program and decide when to go. The entrance fee is between 9 and 14 euros.

Back in 2006 I saw a nice gig of Larry Martin Band(video). The place was full of people but we were there early and we told them that we wanted to eat so we offered a table right in front of the stage!

There are some salads, soups(3euro), spaghetti (6euro), plates with meet or fish and some sweets(4euro). We were drinking beers all night but I cant remember the cost… the side effect of the alcohol :)

• Lorro's Profile Photo

The Pink Tones: The best PINK FLOYD tribute band

by Lorro Updated Jan 12, 2008

Poster you may see on the streets of Madrid..

If you like Pink Floyd and never got the chance to hear their music live, OR even if you did, check out one ot these guys concerts. Their sound is fantastic and they offer the chance to experience the music in a way you can't at home with your CD player. My boyfriend is the lead guitarist so you could say I'm baised but the unanimous opinion is that they are great and more than do justice to the original. Great keyboards, amazing saxophone and guitars,
    The set lists mainly include songs from, but not limited to, "The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here" and others...
    So come and rock out with a crowd of Spaniards who know the words better than me!

Upcoming Concerts:

9 Feb 08 - Sala Capitol (Santiago de Compostela)
    19 Apr 08 - Extremusika (Caceres)

• mollymoo0oo0's Profile Photo

Honky Tonk: Get on down in Honky Tonk Town!

by mollymoo0oo0 Updated Jan 4, 2008

Circodelia - band playing NYE 2007

Honky Tonk is a great little groovy venue for live music, offering mainly rock and blues in a good-feel vibe....

There´s a bar upstairs with the music and another bar downstairs. Watch out for the copas though - it can be a little pricey!

Dress Code: Be Yourself!

• Lorro's Profile Photo

Live music & shows: Honky Tonk

by Lorro Updated Jan 28, 2006

Los Parple at Honky Tonk

The 2 floor bar Honky Tonk is one of the well known bars in Madrid for live music and coctails. There is also a restaurant next store specializing in grilled meats. Upstairs is a nice posh/retro bar serving various coctails and downstairs is a painted-black concert bar with live bands many nights of the week. Style to be found is generally Rock, Blues and Country. The concerts usually start around 1am and afterwards a dj spins classic and newer rock tunes till 5am.
    The last time I was there we saw a local band called "Los Parple" who are a fun band covering the songs of the legendary Deep Purple. Fun concert, crowd was into it and the band rocked.

Dress Code: Relaxed but nice.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Live music & shows: Catch a Zarzuela

by Roadquill Written Jul 6, 2005

Program

Even though my Spanish is limited, I enjoyed an evening watching a Zarzuela. I would call it a cross between light opera, flamenco dancing and Gilbert & Sullivan, a la Spanish. The theatre I was at was elegant, there was a 20 or so piece orchestra, great singing, dancing, acting, comedy, drama. Wonderful costumes. They start relatively early in the evening. Also, the first one I tried to get a ticket to was sold out so I had to go to one down the street that was 75% full.

Dress Code: Most of the patrons dressed nice.

• agarcia's Profile Photo

Clamores: Jazz, and much more than Jazz

by agarcia Updated Aug 2, 2004

Brazilian party at Clamores

Clamores is THE institution among the live music venues in Madrid. Performances are scheduled for every day of the week, offering styles ranging from Jazz, Latin rhythms, song writers, folk music, and a long etcetera. So, it's almost impossible not to find there a concert suiting your tastes.

Apart from the often excellent music, the main reason for giving Clamores a try if for the great atmosphere of the place... all that late night concerts has given the place a great imprint... of the seedy kind, to be more precise ;-)

Dress Code: Dress code is pretty open

• Yso's Profile Photo

OBA OBA: Best sound system in Madrid

by Yso Written Oct 1, 2003

I never got the time to visit this bar but it was recommended to me by several locals. They have live music at weekends, all Spanish music with varying influences. They are also reputed to have the best sound system in Madrid... is it true? please let me know!

• andal13's Profile Photo

Búho Real: Spanish modern music

by andal13 Updated Jul 15, 2003

A small and cosy pub, with live music (Spanish musicians), good drinks and a very numerous collection of small owls ("Búho Real" means Royal Owl).

Un pub pequeño y acogedor, con música en vivo (músicos españoles), buenos tragos y una numerosa colección de búhos de todo tipo.

Dress Code: Casual